Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 05:45:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Should we start using mBTC as the standard denomination?
Yes. - 255 (51.6%)
In a few months if the price grows or remains stable. - 33 (6.7%)
After the price is somewhat higher, $250+ - 30 (6.1%)
After the price is at $1000, dollar parity for the mBTC - 105 (21.3%)
No. Maybe much later - 18 (3.6%)
No. Never. - 23 (4.7%)
I'm not sure. - 16 (3.2%)
NEW: Switch to XBT - 14 (2.8%)
Total Voters: 494

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Start Using mBTC as Standard Denomination?  (Read 30808 times)
The 4ner
aka newbitcoinqtuser

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

R.I.P Silk Road 1.0

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 04:26:13 PM

Does this detail matter in the large picture?

Fact is, Bitcoin is supposed to be an international currency, and we have nearly the whole world population using the metric system.

Cyprus, China, Argentina, all the countries Bitcoiners are so hyped about use the metric system.

USA and UK will have to adapt, not the other way around.
+1

Agreed.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 05:16:45 PM

Does this detail matter in the large picture?

Fact is, Bitcoin is supposed to be an international currency, and we have nearly the whole world population using the metric system.

Cyprus, China, Argentina, all the countries Bitcoiners are so hyped about use the metric system.

USA and UK will have to adapt, not the other way around.
How many decimal places can you divide the Euro into?

Ok, now make Bitcoin match that.
melvster

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 05:18:35 PM

Our startup will be calling the mBTC a "bit", and using the symbol below.

Let the market decide.  Would your mother rather own a "mBTC" or a "Bit"?  a mBTC is a just a group of letters to a layman.  A Bit is something that gives life to the unit.  If bitcoins were called oTDC's, or "OogleToadcoins, how interested would a layman be in owning them, as opposed to branding them "bitcoins"?  Because to a layman, you might as well call a MilliBitcoin an OogleToadcoin. Sometimes I think we live with tunnel vision in bitcoin land, in ignoring the larger picture.  So unless our goal is to remain an exclusive club and disregard laymen, I think "bit" is the logical choice.

Also, there is a perfect unicode symbol that already exists (U+0180) ƀ

Lower case b is genius ...
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 05:24:19 PM

Let the market decide.  Would your mother rather own a "mBTC" or a "Bit"?  a mBTC is a just a group of letters to a layman.  A Bit is something that gives life to the unit.  If bitcoins were called oTDC's, or "OogleToadcoins, how interested would a layman be in owning them, as opposed to branding them "bitcoins"?  Because to a layman, you might as well call a MilliBitcoin an OogleToadcoin. Sometimes I think we live with tunnel vision in bitcoin land, in ignoring the larger picture.  So unless our goal is to remain an exclusive club and disregard laymen, I think "bit" is the logical choice.

Lower case b is genius ...
And old

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
caveden
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 05:39:04 PM

Let the market decide.  Would your mother rather own a "mBTC" or a "Bit"?

"Bit" is pronounced like the French word "bite", which means dick.
Perhaps you should avoid asking whether your customers' mothers want to own a "bit", if you ever have francophone customers. Wink
BlueNote

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 06:10:33 PM

That's great, but a more logical proposal is to call the midpoint a bit so that you cover everything in an evenly divided manner. That way, a bit would be 10,000 Satoshis and a full bitcoin would be 10,000 bits.

If you use bit for the 3rd decimal place, then you'll have an uneven remaining range to the right.

1HQbvGAEKKSrwCHv9RZNHoQPGmtLQmiu85
melvster

Activity: 350

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 05:13:32 PM

I like the lowercase b with horizontal line. And I HATE the uppercase B with a vertical line, looks too damn much like a dollar sign. I don't know about "bit" though. Plus I'm sure lots of different terms will emerge, since it's used in so many different linguistic contexts.

Yeah it doesnt matter.  Germans call money, 'coal' or 'mice' ... go figure.  There can be lots of names for the same thing so long as you got it in the right context it's ok. 
Razick (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 06:03:53 PM

I like the lowercase b with horizontal line. And I HATE the uppercase B with a vertical line, looks too damn much like a dollar sign. I don't know about "bit" though. Plus I'm sure lots of different terms will emerge, since it's used in so many different linguistic contexts.

Yeah it doesnt matter.  Germans call money, 'coal' or 'mice' ... go figure.  There can be lots of names for the same thing so long as you got it in the right context it's ok. 

I like mice. 1 mBTC = mouse, 10 mBTC = 10 mice  Cool

ACCOUNT RECOVERED 4/27/2020. Account was previously hacked sometime in 2017. Posts between 12/31/2016 and 4/27/2020 are NOT LEGITIMATE.
DoctorOozy

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 06:35:19 PM
Last edit: June 09, 2013, 05:45:13 AM by DoctorOozy

These discussions are somewhat moot. The term milli is a standard prefix in the metric system and used daily by scientists http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_prefix

I see these discussions about how to implement some kind of change without confusing people. Well sorry, the system is already in place and is already in use. People use millimeter, and milligram daily, just use mBTC when convient and those who don't get it will learn. Hopefully one day we will microBTC and nanoBTC discussions too but again they will be mute, this is how numbers work in standard form.. its normal... if it confuses you then get some maths education.

mBTC does not need to be the "standard denomination" it should simply be used when convenient as thats how numbers work.
TippingPoint
Legendary

Activity: 905
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 04:51:33 PM

These discussions are somewhat mute.

as well as moot
DoctorOozy

Activity: 21

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 05:45:24 AM

These discussions are somewhat mute.

as well as moot

Lol ta edited.
btcusr

Activity: 405
Merit: 255

@_vjy

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 04:35:23 AM
Last edit: April 29, 2020, 12:47:46 PM by mprep

Somehow I am convinced that mBTC change is very important than moving directly XBT.
mBTC is change is going to make news, and push BTC exchange rates higher.

If I have to speculate, mBTC is going to reach in parity with dollar, within its first year of adoption.  Cool

XBT adoption can wait at least 4 - 5 years, for now.

When mBTC exchange rates reaches $100 leavels, XBT change can push exchange rates further.

So, it is better to save XBT adoption for later.

I wonder why mbtc adoption is not happening.. Sad

David Rabahy

Activity: 709
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 03:21:26 AM

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/v/victorhugo136258.html ... mBTC's time hasn't come yet.
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2013, 07:31:31 PM

It's coming and it was always natural it would come. This thread has no merits in it coming. We should think about starting µɃ. Lets open a thread!

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 07:33:26 PM

It's coming and it was always natural it would come. This thread has no merits in it coming. We should think about starting µɃ. Lets open a thread!
It is too late
Centimicrobitcoins Tiem!

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
cryptocash

Activity: 36

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 08:02:21 PM
Last edit: July 23, 2013, 09:17:55 PM by cryptocash

Because it is a stupid idea.
It might have a psychological effect but that doesn't suffice to justify such a radical measure.

Why don't we change the currencies' ISO code every time a currency appreciates or devalues.
Because it's important to have stability with every currency.

What do you do when Bitcoin drops down to 30 dollars or even 5 or 2 dollars in the next six months (it's possible)?
Switch back to BTC?

It is a stupid idea as long as Bitcoin isn't relatively stable AND very widely used.
Once it's every other day in the mainstream media such a change could happen without utterly confusing people.
(But we are very far away from that)
J603

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 12:54:40 PM

Currently, 1 mBTC and 1 uBTC are pretty much useless, so I don't see why they need to be adopted yet. Most items being sold for bitcoins now that I've seen have only gone out to two decimal places anyways. If one day enough people use bitcoins so as to warrant the use of those denominations, then it would make sense. But until then it's pretty pointless to measure price in mBTC or uBTC when very few things are priced that low.

bitgold

Activity: 353

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 02:37:18 PM

Give it some time. There will be more and more people call for this change, in time, mbc will come naturally.

There may be people who think they can handle tiny decimal numbers on daily basis; but if BTc is to become mainstream, the rest of us, 99% of the population do not want to deal with zeros after the decimal point.

cryptocash

Activity: 36

View Profile
July 31, 2013, 12:05:07 AM

The whole unit change seems so disruptive and difficult to coordinate now -- do we really want to have to deal with another one later when there are way more people to try to coordinate? I really think we should look to the endgame and figure out where we want to be.

I'd propose moving to uB (micro-bitcoin = 1e-6) as the standard unit now and forever. For now, it can be referred to as uB or uBTC, but over time, once it's ubiquitous, it should just be called a bitcoin. Because the smallest unit is the satoshi (1e-8), this means uB-denominated prices would get 2 decimal places maximum, which is the most that any consumer wants to deal with anyway.

I'm against using micro-bitcoin now so we can switch to bitcoin later (when? - not a good idea: confusing!).

The idea about defining the standard as 1e-6 isn't that bad. I think the two decimals for regular consumers might be a good idea.
BTW that could also be called hSatoshi (hecto Satoshi) according to SI-standards.

At the same time, I'd propose inverting the exchange rate, so instead of quoting uB/USD = .00013, it would be quoted as USD/uB = 7692. This is exactly the same way Yen are quoted relative to USD (USDJPY = 100.66), and is also the same way other private virtual currencies such as WoW gold are quoted.

And again our beloved American(s) are unaware that they are not alone on the planet and that their customs are not
necessarily the global standard!

Every "big" economy uses their currency as the base currency and all others as counter currencies.
It might be standard in the US to quote the Euro as USDEUR or USD/EUR
but in Europe all currencies are counter currencies to the EUR => EURUSD, EURGBP, EURCHF, etc.
I assume that China and Japan act the same way.

Since BTC is a global, nation-less currency (and the biggest of all crypto-currencies for that matter) the only logical step is to quote
BTCXXX (including BTCUSD). What is more, the base currency is usually regarded as dominant / of more value.

nobbynobbynoob

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

Annuit cœptis humanae libertas

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2013, 02:16:12 PM

I switched my Bitcoin-QT wallet to display mBTC just now. Yay, I'm "rich"! Grin

Just to warn you, bitcoin price tends to crash when I do things like this. Grin

Earn Free Bitcoins!   Earn bitcoin via BitcoinGet
BTC tip: 1PKkvuwC24Vqjv9odigXs1QVzE66jEJqmb (if <200 µBTC, please donate to charity)
LTC tip: LRqXaNdF79QHvhPpS5AZdEJZnLiNnAkJvq (if <Ł0,05, please donate to charity)
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: