Bitcoin Forum
August 02, 2024, 08:31:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 [104] 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 ... 361 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [OFFICIAL]Bitfinex.com first Bitcoin P2P lending platform for leverage trading  (Read 723678 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
russokai

Activity: 130
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 01:53:39 PM

There was a huge seller (1500+ BTC) on Bitstamp at 535.  It would have been very easy to close out our shorts at 537 or so IF Bitfinex didn't go down.  I shorted at over 680 so I still made a profit when the site came back up but i would have made $8000 more if the site didn't go down. 

I didn't lose money but it's not a good feeling to see your profits disappear by the thousands with the site halted while all the other exchanges are operating normally.
PYaEe

Activity: 54
Merit: 4

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 01:53:56 PM

On behalf of lenders, I would like to thank Bitfinex team for handling this situation professionally. I had awful hour, but then came the relief, after i understood that none of my lended funds is lost. It would be even better if you make trading halting automatic, with pre-determined trigger.
blueberry

Activity: 110
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 01:55:41 PM

Guys,

Even if there was enough BTC on our Bitstamp account, trading would have been halted. Why? Because we would also have "wiped out" Bitstamp orderbook with the cascade of liquidations that were just about to happened. So it's not a matter of having enough funds where or whatever, it's a matter of an illiquid market that became very volatile, and millions of dollars of leveraged positions that would either evaporate or be preserved by calming things down.

If you think you have undue losses because of the halting of trading, please write to support@bitfinex.com and your case will be examined within a few DAYS.

Thank you for your comprehension,
Raphael
Bitfinex team

So, without any stated policy, you simply halt trading and/or refuse to execute trades that will cause a string of forced liquidations? You guys need to state a policy and stick to it. You can't just play God.

I guess the Bitfinex owners are learning as they go along like anyone in business in a fledgling industry. I would put this down to growing pains and that they are learning from their mistakes and would come out stronger and more experienced after this. I doubt they are doing anything with malicious intent, they are just a small business venture with a handful of staff who are going to make honest mistakes. I can understand your frustration though if you feel aggrieved by the situation. Hopefully they will find a solution to prevent this from happening again.
F-bernanke

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 02:03:25 PM

The coins I got at 151$ from BTCe a couple of hours ago where rightful and I have them right at my account. Of course that unlike everything people spread, BTCe never stole money from people, while Bitfinex is constantly taking money out of people accounts with the excuse of some new bug.

We are not talking about BTCe here. Seriously, did you ever run a business? You have no idea how hard it is at times.
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 02:04:14 PM

AFAIK btc-e is the liquidity provider there themselves, so they sold at a loss. Here it is different.

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
BitBits

Activity: 144

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 02:04:30 PM

Could BFX staff look at BTC withdrawals please? Hot wallet seems "thirsty" at the moment.
Thanks

Empty
BitBits

Activity: 144

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 02:11:35 PM

Could BFX staff look at BTC withdrawals please? Hot wallet seems "thirsty" at the moment.
Thanks

Empty
nmersulypnem

Activity: 238

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 02:11:57 PM

What I really am interested to know is: If a crash of this scale happens again, should we expect BFX to halt trading? No doubt the answer will affect our trading strategy.

+1  -  THE RULES NEED TO BE EXACTLY CLEAR BECAUSE WE POSITION OURSELVES ACCORDINGLY.   If a 20% crash halts the market, then I will not set limit orders beyond a certain range.

WHAT ARE THE RULES FOR HALTING?  PLEASE CREATE THEM AND FOLLOW THEM.
traderman
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 02:17:55 PM

The problem with rules for halting is that it is impossible to foresee liquidity conditions or the severity of a crash. How can you possible have any rules for a situation
that is completely unpredictable and unquantifiable. Bitfinex had to protect the lenders because it is their deposits that are providing the backing for all the Bitcoin that has been bought/sold on margin. Lenders stand to loose much more then the borrowers.

What I really am interested to know is: If a crash of this scale happens again, should we expect BFX to halt trading? No doubt the answer will affect our trading strategy.

+1  -  THE RULES NEED TO BE EXACTLY CLEAR BECAUSE WE POSITION OURSELVES ACCORDINGLY.   If a 20% crash halts the market, then I will not set limit orders beyond a certain range.

WHAT ARE THE RULES FOR HALTING?  PLEASE CREATE THEM AND FOLLOW THEM.
unclescrooge (OP)
aka Raphy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 02:19:56 PM

Thanks

yes we'll replenish it, sorry about that.

Thanks
Raphael
myb87

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 02:21:14 PM

so the bottom line is there is no point in margin trading is there
alpha492

Activity: 195

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 02:24:27 PM

Well at any rate, it looks like your going to have to find a different exchange if you want to play out the real interesting swings.

It seems for the time being the max you should expect to make from any BFX position is around 5-7% after that its a safe bet they'll halt trading.

mooncake

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 02:30:22 PM

I understand what you're saying, and if it was only the money of traders at risks, we would have no issues. But we are also talking about the money of all the liquidity providers that would have disappeared in a blink of an eye (because the drop to 100 USD was only the beginning).

I know that liquidity swaps are not insured and CAN be lost, this is very clear in our TOS. However I do think that avoiding millions of dollars of losses for a few seconds of panic can be a good choice. We're not trying to play God, we're just trying to act in the best interest of all of our users, which is why, I repeat, if you think you had undue loss on shorts because of our halting, please write to us on support@bitfinex.com (and be a bit patient).

We are not taking side for lenders, or for long traders, or anyone, we really try to act in the best interest of everyone.

Raphael
Bitfinex team

If you look at my posts, I target events, not people. The past can't be changed but we can learn from it where necessary and improve on the system for the better. I am providing feedback for your considerations to improve the system.

At where I stay, the interest rate per annum for deposits is even less than your swap rate per day. Why is this so? I attribute it to the risk attached for the premium. If protection of the liquidity swaps is justifiable, how do you justify the sky high swap rate?

There must be clear rules in the game. Players must understand the rules. Exchange owners must uphold them. With that, there will be no justification of crying fouls due to trading losses.

For your consideration.
blueberry

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 02:37:24 PM

You receive a paycheck from BugFinex every month, don't you?

No, I am a lender in Bitfinex and receive daily interest payments. I may reduce my lending exposure after this incident but will continue to lend. If Bitfinex has to pay everyone (like yourself) for the profits that never belonged to them in the first place, then the lenders will be first to lose out.

The bolded is unacceptable on the part of Bitfinex. This is a recurrent problem and should not be happening.

What I took exception with is your attitude complaining of "teenagers very angry that they missed a $10 trade that should not have happened in the first place" -- that is some inconsiderate bullshit that speaks nothing to the magnitude of value on the table. It's uncalled for and, as stated, by and large irrelevant to the legitimate complaints of traders who held short positions during this fiasco and were unable to close them. We are not responsible for Bitfinex's cash flow, but we may lose tens of thousands of $ in profit and/or incur losses because of it.

That's not what i meant, I mean people expecting (for example in this case) that the coins they got for 100$ was rightfull. Of course I understand your problems when the market halts when your shorting and rallys at that time, that sucks and i'm truly sorry for you.

The coins I got at 151$ from BTCe a couple of hours ago where rightful and I have them right at my account. Of course that unlike everything people spread, BTCe never stole money from people, while Bitfinex is constantly taking money out of people accounts with the excuse of some new bug.

You were obviously not around in 2012 when btc-e was attacked overnight and reversed trades which were made over several hours:

https://btc-e.com/news/81

Dear users of the Exchange Btc-e.com

The exchange is not going to close. We will refund all losses from our reserves.

Neither the servers nor the database were compromised. There were no SQL injections.

At 04:07 MSK (GMT+4) our LR API Secret Key was compromised. It's 16 uppercase, lowercase letters and digits. They may have bruteforced it for long.

Using the key the hacker imitated LR deposits from many accounts and bought up Bitcoins, Namecoins and Litecoins.

We lost our daily volume, approx. 4500 BTC. The attacker couldn't withdraw more
as most BTC were distributed over several offline wallets.

At 10:30 we restored the database to the state it was at 04:00, right before the attack. All trades after 4:00 are reverted.

People who attempted withdrawals before 04:00 MSK will get their funds withdrawn later today.

For people who deposited BTC, LTC and NMC after 04:00 MSK the funds will be put to their balances before market opens.
We are working on the scripts for this.

If you deposited USD after 04:00 MSK you should send us your login, amount and payment system used by email or PM.

Our plan:

1. The trade will be disabled until we restore the balances to the point before market crash.

2. After that, the trade and deposit/withdrawal will be back on, approx. within 1-2 days.

Icq - 610112128
Skype - btc-e.support
E-mail - support@btc-e.com

Few complained back then because most agreed reversing was in the best interest for everyone. The reversing of trades with Bitfinex a few days ago is no different.
gizmoh
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 02:42:44 PM

Should the trading not be halted,Only a handful few would win it all,  the cascading effect would continue and new swaps closed and so on, till the winner takes it all at $0.001 per btc.

Most lenders would lose all their funds and over 99% of margin trades would get liquidated.

Bitfinex put some rules on when trading should be halted to be fair and square for all.

How Ripple Rips you: "The founders of Ripple Labs created 100 billion XRP at Ripple's inception. No more can be created according to the rules of the Ripple protocol. Of the 100 billion created, 20 billion XRP were retained by the creators, seeders, venture capital companies and other founders. The remaining 80 billion were given to Ripple Labs. Ripple Labs intends to distribute and sell 55 of that 80 billion XRP to users and strategic partners. Ripple Labs also had a giveaway of under 200 million XRP (0.002% of all XRP) via World Community Grid that was later discontinued.[29] Ripple Labs will retain the remaining 25 billion"
CambioBTC

Activity: 112

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 02:52:27 PM
Last edit: February 10, 2014, 03:14:12 PM by CambioBTC

The trading has been restored now.
We halted it because forced liquidations of leveraged positions quickly depleted our big reserves of BTC on Bitstamp and when this happens the price tends to become too volatile.
We had to wait for the coins become available on Bitstamp before we resumed trading.

Thanks a lot for your understanding

Giancarlo
Bitfinex Team

Does that mean liquidations have been reversed and lenders money is safe?

Lenders money is safe.

Giancarlo
Bitfinex Team
[/quote]

Everyone,

I'd just like to point out that if we did not have stopped the trading engine, the cascading effect of liquidations would have been terrible (just look at the charts already).

So we DID make the right choice in halting the trading engine to avoid this situation by letting price calm down a bit.

One day the Bitcoin market will become mature enough to support this level of volume, right now it isn't;

THanks for your comprehension
Raphael

Guys,

Even if there was enough BTC on our Bitstamp account, trading would have been halted. Why? Because we would also have "wiped out" Bitstamp orderbook with the cascade of liquidations that were just about to happened. So it's not a matter of having enough funds where or whatever, it's a matter of an illiquid market that became very volatile, and millions of dollars of leveraged positions that would either evaporate or be preserved by calming things down.

If you think you have undue losses because of the halting of trading, please write to support@bitfinex.com and your case will be examined within a few DAYS.

Thank you for your comprehension,
Raphael
Bitfinex team

BTC-e went down to 102, Bitstamp to 530. No doubt with the selling from BFX, price at Bitstamp would have been lower. Look at the price at BTC-e now: 600 - 650. So, does it really matter? In any case, it is not the exchange owner's responsibility to affect price. The responsibility is to ensure the exchange works at all times.

And for the "millions of dollars of leveraged positions that would either evaporate", this is not a risk the exchange owner should manage for the margin traders. This is a risk the margin trader themselves should know and own.

It is not about profit and loss. It is about the philosophy and the principles of running exchanges.

I understand what you're saying, and if it was only the money of traders at risks, we would have no issues. But we are also talking about the money of all the liquidity providers that would have disappeared in a blink of an eye (because the drop to 100 USD was only the beginning).

I know that liquidity swaps are not insured and CAN be lost, this is very clear in our TOS. However I do think that avoiding millions of dollars of losses for a few seconds of panic can be a good choice. We're not trying to play God, we're just trying to act in the best interest of all of our users, which is why, I repeat, if you think you had undue loss on shorts because of our halting, please write to us on support@bitfinex.com (and be a bit patient).

We are not taking side for lenders, or for long traders, or anyone, we really try to act in the best interest of everyone.

Raphael
Bitfinex team

Well at any rate, it looks like your going to have to find a different exchange if you want to play out the real interesting swings.

It seems for the time being the max you should expect to make from any BFX position is around 5-7% after that its a safe bet they'll halt trading.

Fortunately,

I was in Fiat at the time,
However it would Appear that BitFinex
is willing to go to any means necessary to "Protect Lenders",

But the other side of the coin is that just as Traders know the assume risk
when taking a position we assume that Lenders also take the same risk.

Stopping trading to protect lenders clearly screws the Traders that were in a
Short Position, and any other Traders that may have just wanted to pick up Cheap Coins.

Lenders profit from the incredibly high interest rates they charge and now would appear to
also be at very little risk themselves, one would think that the equation is that they are able
to charge such high interest rates because of the risk that they take, if that risk is going to
be minimized now by BitFinex everytime the market crashes then it would only be logical to
also put a cap on the interest rates that the Lenders are able to charge.

Otherwise it would behoove of all of us to quit being Traders and all become "Lenders" with
the un-equaled  amount of "Protection" that BitFinex is affording to it's Lenders.

Unfortunately one will not function without the other, actually Traders can trade without Lenders,
but Lenders can't lend it they don't have an Traders willing to take their loans.

After price rose above 700 I was planning to short the drop, fortunately for me the power went out
in my house, when it came back up one hour later I saw BitFinex price has dropped to 100 and was
currently at 598 (halted price), immediately went to  http://www.mrspeaker.net/btc/  and saw that
all other Exchanges were working fine.

I guess my only question would be one of if Traders in short positions were screwed out of their profits,
and Traders just wanting to pick up some cheap coins, then were the Traders that were in Long Positions
also rolled-back or adjusted in any manner ?

Also at just what price was trading re-initiated ?
I'm looking at BitCoinWisdom and it shows the next lowerest prices after 100 was $527.40,
But that's not correct, when I got my system back up and running the price was frozen / halted at $598,
now price is at $675,
Lost profits and opportunities for all.

No need to implement the "Circuit Breaker" idea,
seems that it's already in effect, manually.

Takes the "Wind out of the Sails"
of the dream of having that Super Short Position one day,

Guess BitFinex won't be making any "Georges Soros" any time soon, lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Soros

Currency speculation

On September 16, 1992, Black Wednesday, Soros' fund sold short more than $10 billion in pounds, profiting from the UK government's reluctance to either raise its interest rates to levels comparable to those of other European Exchange Rate Mechanism countries or to float its currency.

Finally, the UK withdrew from the European Exchange Rate Mechanism, devaluing the pound, earning Soros an estimated $1.1 billion. He was dubbed "the man who broke the Bank of England", In 1997, the UK Treasury estimated the cost of Black Wednesday at £3.4 billion.
blueberry

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 03:07:28 PM
Last edit: February 10, 2014, 03:29:35 PM by blueberry

However it would Appear that BitFinex
is willing to go to any means necessary to "Protect Lenders",

But the other side of the coin is that just as Traders know the assume risk
when taking a position we assume that Lenders also take the same risk.

It is debatable whether Bitfinex are favoring the lenders over the traders. The connection to Bitstamp's api was down during the flash crash to 100, so the lenders would argue that the flash crash to 100 should never have happened (therefore the lenders are not liable to losses). The liquidation crash would have been far more orderly had the liquidated trades been made on Bitstamp with a price floor of no less than 450 judging by Bitstamp's bid depth at the time.
aragalie

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 03:18:24 PM

Lenders profit from the incredibly high interest rates they charge and now would appear to
also be at very little risk themselves, one would think that the equation is that they are able
to charge such high interest rates because of the risk that they take, if that risk is going to
be minimized now by BitFinex everytime the market crashes then it would only be logical to

Otherwise it would behoove of all of us to quit being Traders and all become "Lenders" with
the un-equaled  amount of "Protection" that BitFinex is affording to it's Lenders.

Unfortunately one will not function without the other, actually Traders can trade without Lenders,
but Lenders can't lend it they don't have an Traders willing to take their loans.

I'm not sure if you are aware, but there IS a cap on the profit of the lenders: it's at 14% per day. Try it yourself to put an offer higher than that and you will see.

Also, the risk of the Lender is not the same as the Trader's, and they should not be compared. What you want to compare is the risk PROFILE.
To explain: as a Trader, when you put a long or a short you have the theoretical opportunity to have unlimited profits (if the price goes up), or an extremely high but none the less limited opportunity if it goes down (to 0.00001). So your risk is quantifiable (and manageable with a Stop Loss), whereas your profits can grow very, very much. Whereas for a Lender, you have ALWAYS a limited profit opportunity (the rate you charge, with a max at 14% per day), whereas your risk is more or less complete loss of funds (the insurance pool is almost always depleted, as it's just $50k+ vs the 18+ MILLION in lent funds recently), at any point in time when and if the market crashes.

If we were in a regulated market, the lenders would be protected, and your costs for funding would also be lower. But, as we are in an unregulated market, the Lenders are actually, from a business POV, MUCH MORE important to protect, keep and increase their numbers than are the Traders. Put another way: there are lots of Traders around, but very very few Lenders.

So, my humble opinion is that BFX did the right thing by stopping the trading momentarily. Of course, the right thing for their business and for the Lenders; but not the right thing for the short sellers.
Pragmatically speaking, they can find short sellers (Traders) any time they want, whereas if they lose 16 million USD from Lenders, their platform will be dead tomorrow.

Hope it makes sense for everyone on this forums, especially for those amongst us bickering over pennies lost here and there in "potential" winning trades.
nmersulypnem

Activity: 238

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 03:18:56 PM

I'd like to ask a new question....

Is Bitfinex also using transaction IDs as a primary key for their withdrawal accounting.  IE. Are they possibly impacted by the same type of double withdrawal exploit that Gox and Coinbase seem to be vulnerable to?
CambioBTC

Activity: 112

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 03:27:04 PM

I'm not sure if you are aware, but there IS a cap on the profit of the lenders: it's at 14% per day. Try it yourself to put an offer higher than that and you will see.

Also, the risk of the Lender is not the same as the Trader's, and they should not be compared. What you want to compare is the risk PROFILE.
To explain: as a Trader, when you put a long or a short you have the theoretical opportunity to have unlimited profits (if the price goes up), or an extremely high but none the less limited opportunity if it goes down (to 0.00001). So your risk is quantifiable (and manageable with a Stop Loss), whereas your profits can grow very, very much. Whereas for a Lender, you have ALWAYS a limited profit opportunity (the rate you charge, with a max at 14% per day), whereas your risk is more or less complete loss of funds (the insurance pool is almost always depleted, as it's just $50k+ vs the 18+ MILLION in lent funds recently), at any point in time when and if the market crashes.

If we were in a regulated market, the lenders would be protected, and your costs for funding would also be lower. But, as we are in an unregulated market, the Lenders are actually, from a business POV, MUCH MORE important to protect, keep and increase their numbers than are the Traders. Put another way: there are lots of Traders around, but very very few Lenders.

So, my humble opinion is that BFX did the right thing by stopping the trading momentarily. Of course, the right thing for their business and for the Lenders; but not the right thing for the short sellers.
Pragmatically speaking, they can find short sellers (Traders) any time they want, whereas if they loose 16 million USD from Lenders, their platform will be dead tomorrow.

Hope it makes sense for everyone on this forums, especially for those amongst us bickering over pennies lost here and there in "potential" winning trades.

Yes that is the way things are
suppose to work, but the scenario that
you just explained does not appear to be the
case.

As previously mention,
The Lender's side of BitFinex is beginning to Look
more and more attractive, 14% interest compounded Daily ?,
that would be 420% monthly, not a bad deal, especially if one
adds in the fact of the Platforms heavy hand in protecting lenders,
it's a "No-Brainer", or in the U.S.A. it's called "Predatory Lending".

Not sure if it's just me or not, but that "Swap Interest Rate"
appears to be moving faster than should be when in a Leverage Position,
almost like a "StopWatch", never seen interest accrue at such a fast rate in my life.
Pages: « 1 ... 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 [104] 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 ... 361 »
  Print  

Jump to: