Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 05:19:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 ... 115 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Hiveon. №1 OS for mining  (Read 80515 times)
yhbae

Activity: 119
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 06:24:11 PM

Just moved from Nicehash and AwesomeMiner to HiveOS, since I plan to use all NVidia cards on my rig. I use MiningPoolHub as the worker and profit switching.

Few questions:
1. HiveOS doesn't seem to profit switch with MiningPoolHub. I've been running HiveOS for 3 days and it always runs Equihash.
2. There is no option for me to see Estimated Earnings like in NiceHash and Awesome Miner. Where can I see my estimated earning and possibly historical earnings?

Thanks

HiveOs is not a profit switch tool. I have used Nicehash, I still use Awesome Miner in some machines (the ones in my house, since I dont trust Windows to be left alone in remote places), I have used SMOS a lot (and still manage some of my friends rigs there), but after testing HiveOS, I have never looked back.

AwesomeMiner would be the most comparable to HiveOS.  Here how I think they compare:
Where AwesomeMiner is better than HiveOS:
- Profit Switch algorithm (although you cannot trust the default pre-configured ones in there: zpool, hashrefinery, ahashtool.  they report misleding difficulty through their api);
- You can see how many $$ you are getting in real-time (remember this is based on estimated, and not realized gains).  this requires you to maintain coins (maybe using external tools), doing benchmarks, but it works.
- New miners are usually found more easily for windows (at least the precompiled ones);

Where HiveOS is better than AwesomeMiner:
- It is Linux.  More stable, no problems with windows defender, auto-update, performance degradation over time, etc.  Demands less RAM, runs from a usb stick;
- GUI has a lot more informations and graphs.  I have the Premium License of AM, but it just allows me to export csv files.  With HiveOs, I check the monitor homepage and, in a second, I know everything is ok (or not);
- You can monitor and control your rigs from any web browser, from the Internet.  AM has the cloud services, but it is paid and less complete;

I'm a heavy user of AM but testing Hive OS as well.

Few comments from me:

- Windows Defender is a pain but once properly setup with exclusions, it doesn't really cause any more pain. Just need to remember to do it at the time of installation.
- I do use the Cloud service quite a bit, but yes it is more limiting. It is possible to expose more buttons to execute miner commands though.
- Hive OS can be setup with just a USB stick but even they suggest that you use SSD if you are serious.
- I don't think Hive OS has the equivalent of "rules" in AM. You can expand features of AM this way. As an example, I am using IFTTT webhook to automatically trigger smart plugs to reboot PCs when completely stuck. Works quite well, until I get the proper watchdog hardware for my rigs. This 'rules' feature is very powerful.
- Profit switching in AM is a bit overrated. Not a fault of AM but in general most pools don't accurately report their earnings hence the estimation is really out of whack. I end up just using Equihash. For this, most pools can handle profit switching within the algorithm. So Hive OS doesn't really lose many points here.
- Hive OS overclocking in its current form is too limited. I need to be able to set values for each GPU easily. AM (well, Windows) kills Hive OS in this department (although AM is using MSI Afterburner Remote Server). If Hive OS can create a screen where I can easily change the OC parameters while watching the temperature, this could be THE killer feature for me. If it can auto-throttle within the given parameters (OC & temperature), even better! (I can dream, can't I? Smiley
- Hive OS fan control appears to be very limiting too. I prefer to keep at 70C 40% speed, variable below that. Current setup seems to be setup a bit too aggressive for my liking.
- Hive OS is more expensive than AM if you have many rigs. Not a huge cost but fact is a fact. Smiley Fixed cost for AM app + Cloud license/rig still works out cheaper in my case.

I'm sure the Hive OS will improve over time. But without better OC and fan controls, I'm afraid I'm going to continue to watch its progress at the sidelines...
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
StanchoBS

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 07:42:56 PM

Hive OS have amazing OC options !
I too dont like fan control and prefer MSI AB scale to control fans.
You cant compare AM vs HiveOS - they are diferent but Hive OS is much much better for rigs. AM is used for antminer.
yhbae

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 08:35:07 PM

Hive OS have amazing OC options !
I too dont like fan control and prefer MSI AB scale to control fans.
You cant compare AM vs HiveOS - they are diferent but Hive OS is much much better for rigs. AM is used for antminer.

Just out of curiosity, in what aspects Hive OS much better for the rigs? I also have to manage quite a few rigs, so I am interested... Smiley
ggbtctalk000

Activity: 394
Merit: 101

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 11:26:58 PM

can you control arbitrary number of miner hosts? 100-s and 1000s with this with one click?
rafaeldelrey

Activity: 31

View Profile
February 24, 2018, 02:19:20 AM

This is a matter of opinion, but I think HiveOS OC is more stable than AM.  AM relies on MS Afterburner Remote Server, and a hack for remote execution.  It works sometimes, others dont. Anyway, this might not be AM fault, but windows.  I am not a linux fanboy in no way. I just think for mining rigs, to be left unatended for weeks or months, a stripped Linux distribution is a more reliable option. 
WaveRiderx

Activity: 168
Merit: 39

View Profile
February 24, 2018, 02:27:22 AM

can you set core clock exact or is it an offset?  if it's an offset can you do individual gpus or is it global?

also for power, do you set mv or is it a percentage?

thanks
clems

Activity: 171

View Profile
February 24, 2018, 07:48:58 AM

Now there is an api, I'm testing HiveOS Smiley

Why not separate miner from wallet ?
If I need differents values for the same miner ( for exemple intensity 11 on RIG1 and intensity 13 on RIG2, but on same ccminer ), I need to create 2 wallets. Right ?

For that use Tuning in rig you can set option for only 1 rig. This is the best way for me.

Ref HiveOS https://hiveos.farm?ref=3665
Promocode HIVEOS: IMPASSENET (10 dollars on your account)
clems

View Profile
February 24, 2018, 07:55:15 AM

can you set core clock exact or is it an offset?  if it's an offset can you do individual gpus or is it global?

thanks
You can set core clock with space like: 1250 1200 1167 ....
For PWR is the mv value not percentage.

On linux is not possible or not very simple to undervolt Memory so in HiveOS you have DPM / Core Voltage / Mem State to undervolt. "Mem Voltage" VDDCI is not working (support?) on Linux....
You can try to play with powlimit on Claymore and that it...

WaveRiderx

View Profile
February 24, 2018, 08:06:45 AM

can you set core clock exact or is it an offset?  if it's an offset can you do individual gpus or is it global?

thanks

On linux is not possible or not very simple to undervolt Memory so in HiveOS you have DPM / Core Voltage / Mem State to undervolt. "Mem Voltage" VDDCI is not working (support?) on Linux....
You can try to play with powlimit on Claymore and that it...

That is fantastic, exactly what I've been looking for. I'm going to try this, thanks!  Much better for mixed card rigs to use exact values instead of offsets or percentages.
crazydane

Activity: 558
Merit: 194

View Profile
February 24, 2018, 10:39:54 AM

Does anyone have experience with using hardware watchdogs with Hive OS?  If so, what are your experiences with them?

I was looking at these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Watchdog-Computer-Automatic-Restart-Blue-Screen-Mining-Game-Server-BTC-Miner/282777988573?epid=14011629036&hash=item41d6e1addd:g:vVkAAOSwY7taZBI2

It looks like they are supported: (well sort of)

http://forum.hiveos.farm/discussion/175/generic-watchdogs

Based on my limited time with Hive OS, my understanding is that the series of event goes like this:

1. Hashrate watchdog it triggered due to hashrate dropping below set-point
2. Miner restart initiated
3. If miner restart doesn't correct issue, reboot takes place
4. If reboot fails, then hardware watchdog attempts reset
5. If hardware reset fails, then hardware power cycle takes place

But if you have a frozen rig and #2 and #3 don't work, how is Hive OS going to "reach" the USB watchdog to perform either 4 or 5?

Maybe the above is not how it works, and instead the OS on the mining rig sends a keepalive signal to the USB watchdog, and when that fails, a hardware reset is attempted.  And failing that, a power reset is attempted.

Over the years, I have had computers lock up so hard that the only thing that would get them back, was to physically remove power and restore.  I guess a USB watchdog can't do that unless the output from the on-board power relay was driving a much larger external relay that can kill power to the rig.

I know with SMOS, SRR (SimpleRigResetter) is the way to go for hardware watchdog, which gets around the issue of using a USB dongle that might not be reachable if the rig is frozen.  But as far as I know, SSR does not work with Hive OS.   So I was curious what everyone is using with Hive OS.

Thanks!
WaveRiderx

View Profile
February 24, 2018, 10:52:37 AM
Last edit: February 26, 2018, 03:28:48 AM by WaveRiderx

can you set core clock exact or is it an offset?  if it's an offset can you do individual gpus or is it global?

thanks

That would have been awesome, but I noticed it's only for AMD cards.  Would love to have it this way for Nvidia cards.
ikicha

Activity: 788
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 24, 2018, 03:07:57 PM

Halo i want to use Hive OS for my next RIG, but i have some stupid question.
1. How many card maximal to use on hive os? have limitation?
2. Can we Modding GPU Bios at Hive OS?
yhbae

View Profile
February 24, 2018, 04:14:08 PM

Does anyone have experience with using hardware watchdogs with Hive OS?  If so, what are your experiences with them?

I was looking at these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Watchdog-Computer-Automatic-Restart-Blue-Screen-Mining-Game-Server-BTC-Miner/282777988573?epid=14011629036&hash=item41d6e1addd:g:vVkAAOSwY7taZBI2

It looks like they are supported: (well sort of)

http://forum.hiveos.farm/discussion/175/generic-watchdogs

Based on my limited time with Hive OS, my understanding is that the series of event goes like this:

1. Hashrate watchdog it triggered due to hashrate dropping below set-point
2. Miner restart initiated
3. If miner restart doesn't correct issue, reboot takes place
4. If reboot fails, then hardware watchdog attempts reset
5. If hardware reset fails, then hardware power cycle takes place

But if you have a frozen rig and #2 and #3 don't work, how is Hive OS going to "reach" the USB watchdog to perform either 4 or 5?

Maybe the above is not how it works, and instead the OS on the mining rig sends a keepalive signal to the USB watchdog, and when that fails, a hardware reset is attempted.  And failing that, a power reset is attempted.

Over the years, I have had computers lock up so hard that the only thing that would get them back, was to physically remove power and restore.  I guess a USB watchdog can't do that unless the output from the on-board power relay was driving a much larger external relay that can kill power to the rig.

I know with SMOS, SRR (SimpleRigResetter) is the way to go for hardware watchdog, which gets around the issue of using a USB dongle that might not be reachable if the rig is frozen.  But as far as I know, SSR does not work with Hive OS.   So I was curious what everyone is using with Hive OS.

Thanks!

I heard from multiple posts that those cheapo watchdogs have high failure rates. I did see some from Russia that costs much more (around $25-30) that works but at that price point, it gets expensive if you have many rigs.

Are you sure that SRR doesn't work with Hive OS? I thought SRR is rig OS independent?
crazydane

Activity: 558
Merit: 194

View Profile
February 24, 2018, 05:06:49 PM

I think you're right and SSR will indeed work with Hive OS.

Looking at the Linux script, this is all there is to it:

Code:
#!/bin/bash

## REQUIRED packages: socat (apt-get install socat)

## Other Linux Systems than SimpleMining OS - unhash 3 lines below and hash SimpleMiningOS ones
srrEnabled="1"
srrSerial="000055"
srrSlot="1"

## SimpleMining OS ## hash this section if you are using above variables
#CONFIG_FILE="/root/config.txt"
#source $CONFIG_FILE
#srrEnabled=`echo $JSON | jq -r .srrEnabled`
#srrSerial=`echo $JSON | jq -r .srrSerial | xargs`
#srrSlot=`echo $JSON | jq -r .srrSlot | xargs`
#####################

if [ "$srrEnabled" -eq 1  ]; then
    echo "SRR is Enabled"
else
    echo "SRR Not configured. SRR Agent will exit in 120 seconds"
    sleep 120
    exit
fi

################################
## Dont touch anything below :)
srrSlot=`printf %02X $(( ${srrSlot} - 1 ))`
firstByte="FF"
byteCount="0008"
action="55"
mac="485053$srrSerial"

checksum=`printf %02X $(( (0x${byteCount:0:2} + 0x${byteCount:2:2} + 0x$action + 0x${mac:0:2} + 0x${mac:2:2} + 0x${mac:4:2} + 0x${mac:6:2} + 0x${mac:8:2} + 0x${mac:10:2} + 0x$srrSlot)%0x100  ))`
packet="$firstByte$byteCount$action$mac$srrSlot$checksum"

while true
do
    echo "SRR, please dont kill me, i will ask again in 2 seconds $packet"
    echo -n "$packet" | xxd -r -p |socat - UDP-DATAGRAM:255.255.255.255:1051,broadcast > /dev/null
    sleep 2
done

So the script sends keepalive packets to SRR over the LAN, and if the stop coming, it will close the power pins on the mobo.  I guess the only thing that Hive OS won't do, is to be able to show a message that a given rig was reset via SRR.  I guess it will just show the usual "rig rebooted" and the rig will actually end up rebooting, even if frozen.
Serion

Activity: 22
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 24, 2018, 11:51:55 PM

I have a 1950x system and when I boot HiveOS it gets as far as starting Hive X server and doesn't go any further.  (The high resolution X window never opens).  Anyone else having this issue?
sean808080

Activity: 12

View Profile
February 25, 2018, 12:08:30 AM

I just gotta say how much I love HiveOS.  Updated regularly and so many useful features.  Dimaferm rocks!

Cheesy
SirNeo

Activity: 59

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2018, 07:22:31 AM

Hello,

How long is the "free period"?

On the website it says:
- Up to 3 RIGS (TEST FOR FREE)
- Free rigs are for testing and "home mining"

I have 1 RIG now, if the things will look good another one will be added next year so I'm curious how log it will be free? After i reach 4 rigs in order to pay 12$/month or after 2-3 month of tests i will pay 3$/month with this rig and 6$ when the 2nd one will be added next year.

Thank you!
clems

View Profile
February 25, 2018, 07:37:56 AM

Halo i want to use Hive OS for my next RIG, but i have some stupid question.
1. How many card maximal to use on hive os? have limitation?
2. Can we Modding GPU Bios at Hive OS?

1 = 19 GPU
2 = You can backup bios and flash bios. Modding bios have to be done using windows Machine.

clems

View Profile
February 25, 2018, 07:38:41 AM

Hello,

How long is the "free period"?

On the website it says:
- Up to 3 RIGS (TEST FOR FREE)
- Free rigs are for testing and "home mining"

I have 1 RIG now, if the things will look good another one will be added next year so I'm curious how log it will be free? After i reach 4 rigs in order to pay 12$/month or after 2-3 month of tests i will pay 3$/month with this rig and 6$ when the 2nd one will be added next year.

Thank you!

3 RIG free.
And when you have 4 you pay for all so 4*3 = 12$

bumbu100

Activity: 44

View Profile
February 25, 2018, 08:59:18 AM

Any chance to use VRM cpu miner as a second miner?
nobody have an idea?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 ... 115 »
  Print  

Jump to: