Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 07:57:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Experimenting with Jalapeno firmware...  (Read 62545 times)
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4508
Merit: 1815

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 06:41:40 AM

Additional information.

2) use the cgminer "java API stat" and look at the last miner (that should be last one due to hotplug)
"java API stats"

And it lists all the pools after the devices, so yes the last device (i.e. where [ID] != POOL* which come after the devices)

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
ElitePork
Donator

Activity: 164
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 08:51:36 AM

Thanks Ashitank.

Additional information.

2) use the cgminer "java API stat" and look at the last miner (that should be last one due to hotplug)
"java API stats"

And it lists all the pools after the devices, so yes the last device (i.e. where [ID] != POOL* which come after the devices)
Thanks for pointing that out. Smiley

Another tip, if you want to hardcode all engines to be running (regardless it's functional or not) change __TOTAL_DIAGNOSTICS_RUN from 10 to 0. It will skip all tests on the engines. Beware of the high HW error rate.

Next thing I wanna try is to change DO_NOT_USE_ENGINE_ZERO and overclocking it to 350mhz on the frequency and see what will happen. Hopefully it won't brick  Grin

Last but not least to max out the fan speed (FAN_CONTROL_BYTE_REMAIN_FULL_SPEED) if the above is successful.
K1773R
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1008

/dev/null

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 09:33:14 AM

Thanks Ashitank.

Additional information.

"java API stats"

Thanks for pointing that out. Smiley

Another tip, if you want to hardcode all engines to be running (regardless it's functional or not) change __TOTAL_DIAGNOSTICS_RUN from 10 to 0. It will skip all tests on the engines. Beware of the high HW error rate.

Next thing I wanna try is to change DO_NOT_USE_ENGINE_ZERO and overclocking it to 350mhz on the frequency and see what will happen. Hopefully it won't brick  Grin

Last but not least to max out the fan speed (FAN_CONTROL_BYTE_REMAIN_FULL_SPEED) if the above is successful.
fans are always @ max at the jalapeno model. engine 0 wont work Wink
using nonworking engines is also bad, you cant overclock as high due to the voltage drop.

[GPG Public Key]
BTC/DVC/TRC/FRC: 1K1773RbXRZVRQSSXe9N6N2MUFERvrdu6y ANC/XPM AK1773RTmRKtvbKBCrUu95UQg5iegrqyeA NMC: NK1773Rzv8b4ugmCgX789PbjewA9fL9Dy1 LTC: LKi773RBuPepQH8E6Zb1ponoCvgbU7hHmd EMC: EK1773RxUes1HX1YAGMZ1xVYBBRUCqfDoF BQC: bK1773R1APJz4yTgRkmdKQhjhiMyQpJgfN
BTC-engineer

Activity: 360
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 11:39:49 AM

Does anyone know why it looks from all user-reports that engine 0 doesn't work?
In my 16-Asic Singles all engines 0 are disabled. But why?
Regarding the ASIC Datasheet from Butterflylabs all ASIC's should have 16 engines.
Also a look on to the ASIC Mask picture is clearly showing 16 (nearly) identical engines on the chip.

It's hard to believe that on all NON-Grad A chips engine 0 is not working. It would make much more sense if a more or less random engine doesn't work.

Does anyone know more about?

█         
                             ▀██       
                              ███▄     
                              █████     
                 ▄██████████   █████   
            ▄███████████████   █████▄   
         ▄██████████████████   ██████   
       █████████████████████  ███████   
     ██████████████████████   ████████ 
   ▄████████▀                █████████ 
  ██████    ▄██████         ██████████ 
 ███▀    ▄██████████      ███████████   
██       ████████████    ████████████   
          █████████████   ██████████   
            █████████████   ███████     
              █████████████▄    ██▀     
                 ██████████████         
                    ▀███████████████▄   
                          ▀███████████▀

FLUX 

VALVE      UBISOFT     GAMING ECOSYSTEM      Origin      GAMELOFT 
                   WEBSITE WHITEPAPER MEDIUM TWITTER FACEBOOK TELEGRAM █       

17 - 24 April
   Public Sale
KNK

Activity: 692
Merit: 502

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 12:15:53 PM

engine 0 not working is a design limitation. If you have a single chip in the device you can use engine 0, but if you enable engine 0 on the first chip from a chain - you loose the rest of the chips

Mega Crypto Polis - www.MegaCryptoPolis.com
BTC tips: 1KNK1akhpethhtcyhKTF2d3PWTQDUWUzHE
BTC-engineer

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 12:55:13 PM
Last edit: August 12, 2013, 01:29:38 PM by BTC-engineer

engine 0 not working is a design limitation. If you have a single chip in the device you can use engine 0, but if you enable engine 0 on the first chip from a chain - you loose the rest of the chips

Interesting. I'm reading the first time about this. Where do you have this information from (link) ?

So this would mean that about ~6% hashing power of every ASIC is wasted, if multiple of them are on one PCB in a chain.
However, if a multiple ASICs per PCB design is handling the single ASIC's separately (not changed), it would have an advantage of about +6% hashing power over the other design, right?

I know that on the BFL PCB is also a FPGA or CPLD. I guess the chip-routing is going through this device and can be changed. Maybe with a another logic and an firmware update, the Engines 0 could be used. I have to take a look into the schematics.

█         
                             ▀██       
                              ███▄     
                              █████     
                 ▄██████████   █████   
            █████████████   ███████     
              █████████████▄    ██▀     
                 ██████████████         
                    ▀███████████████▄   
                          ▀███████████▀

FLUX 

17 - 24 April
   Public Sale
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2013, 01:12:52 PM

Nothing is wasted. They already deliver over spec.

kano
Legendary

Activity: 4508
Merit: 1815

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 02:08:39 PM

cgminer already does fan control as needed

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
KNK

Activity: 692
Merit: 502

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 05:17:37 PM

Interesting. I'm reading the first time about this. Where do you have this information from (link) ?
I have read that on BFL forum, but can't provide a link, also i don't remember exactly if the problem was with the 'rest of the chips' or the 'rest of the engines'.
You should look in the source of the firmware, not in the schematics

Mega Crypto Polis - www.MegaCryptoPolis.com
BTC tips: 1KNK1akhpethhtcyhKTF2d3PWTQDUWUzHE
chanberg

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 05:58:58 PM

Anyone have a dragon to sell me on the cheap? 40-45 bucks shipped

let me know

Danny

goxed
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1006

Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 06:54:55 PM

Can we program the long boards (Little single / Single) with the Avalon DRAGON successfully?

Revewing Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.
tom99

Activity: 420

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 06:58:45 PM

let me know

Danny

You buy this open h/w and more use than Avr Dragon jtag http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/bus-blaster-v3-p-1415.html?cPath=63_69

ps: Just restocks few days ago
K1773R
Legendary

/dev/null

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 06:59:14 PM

Can we program the long boards (Little single / Single) with the Avalon DRAGON successfully?
yes, but take the 1.2.6+ firmware due to XLINK

[GPG Public Key]
BTC/DVC/TRC/FRC: 1K1773RbXRZVRQSSXe9N6N2MUFERvrdu6y ANC/XPM AK1773RTmRKtvbKBCrUu95UQg5iegrqyeA NMC: NK1773Rzv8b4ugmCgX789PbjewA9fL9Dy1 LTC: LKi773RBuPepQH8E6Zb1ponoCvgbU7hHmd EMC: EK1773RxUes1HX1YAGMZ1xVYBBRUCqfDoF BQC: bK1773R1APJz4yTgRkmdKQhjhiMyQpJgfN
K1773R
Legendary

/dev/null

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 07:00:26 PM

btw, if anyone needs to have their jala flashed in switzerland and dosnt want to buy a dragon, just send me a PM Wink

[GPG Public Key]
BTC-engineer

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 07:54:57 PM

Theoretically this is clear to me. My singles report firmware version 1.2.6 and I saw the firmware version 1.2.6 release from Juke-Jr. From my experience with other companies, I know that sometimes companies do not cleanly declare version numbers. So it could be that the version in my singles is not exactly the same than the released one.
Beside of this, it could be that BFL is doing anything during there production/test process, which is writing additional information into the device, which could be lost by a flash update. Unfortunately I didn't yet find the time to look deep enough into the sourcecode to exclude something like this. I know all of what I'm writing about is not very likely but possible and the investment was high enough to think twice about risking to overwrite the flash, beside of loosing warranty. 

So, do you, or anybody else,  already has flashed your own compiled firmware based on the released version 1.2.6?

From what I've seen it should be enough to setup the product define correct for the target unit, right?

█         
                             ▀██       
                              ███▄     
                              █████     
                 ▄██████████   █████   
            █████████████   ███████     
              █████████████▄    ██▀     
                 ██████████████         
                    ▀███████████████▄   
                          ▀███████████▀

FLUX 

17 - 24 April
   Public Sale
K1773R
Legendary

/dev/null

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 08:03:37 PM

Theoretically this is clear to me. My singles report firmware version 1.2.6 and I saw the firmware version 1.2.6 release from Juke-Jr. From my experience with other companies, I know that sometimes companies do not cleanly declare version numbers. So it could be that the version in my singles is not exactly the same than the released one.
Beside of this, it could be that BFL is doing anything during there production/test process, which is writing additional information into the device, which could be lost by a flash update. Unfortunately I didn't yet find the time to look deep enough into the sourcecode to exclude something like this. I know all of what I'm writing about is not very likely but possible and the investment was high enough to think twice about risking to overwrite the flash, beside of loosing warranty. 

So, do you, or anybody else,  already has flashed your own compiled firmware based on the released version 1.2.6?

From what I've seen it should be enough to setup the product define correct for the target unit, right?

yes, but there are 2 defines, 1 saying single and a little bit deeper jala (if single), youd have to change this. i cant remember correctly but i guess you should be able to figure it out Wink
you cant really kill it, if you create a nonworking firmware, just create another one for it.
if the security bit is not set, i suggest dumping the actual firmware as a form of backup (the 1.0.0 had the security bit set, so you couldnt do this).
if BFL didnt want us to play with the firmware and reflash the units, why should they make it so easy for us to do it? (releasing firmware + nice jtag)

[GPG Public Key]
BTC-engineer

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 08:07:20 PM

yes, but there are 2 defines, 1 saying single and a little bit deeper jala (if single), youd have to change this. i cant remember correctly but i guess you should be able to figure it out Wink
you cant really kill it, if you create a nonworking firmware, just create another one for it.
if the security bit is not set, i suggest dumping the actual firmware as a form of backup (the 1.0.0 had the security bit set, so you couldnt do this).
if BFL didnt want us to play with the firmware and reflash the units, why should they make it so easy for us to do it? (releasing firmware + nice jtag)

So you have already flashed your single(s). Was it the 30 or 60 GH version?

█         
                             ▀██       
                              ███▄     
                              █████     
                 ▄██████████   █████   
            █████████████   ███████     
              █████████████▄    ██▀     
                 ██████████████         
                    ▀███████████████▄   
                          ▀███████████▀

FLUX 

17 - 24 April
   Public Sale
K1773R
Legendary

/dev/null

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 08:09:29 PM

So, do you, or anybody else,  already has flashed your own compiled firmware based on the released version 1.2.6?

So you have already flashed your single(s). Was it the 30 or 60 GH version?
no i dont have the single, i just read trough all the threads + source to get my information, im playing with 2 jalas atm (maybe i can get a hold of a single and some more jalas soon Tongue)
btw, another thing. if you flash your singles, carefully watch the temps as cooling will be crucial!

[GPG Public Key]
chanberg

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 08:16:06 PM

let me know

Danny

You buy this open h/w and more use than Avr Dragon jtag http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/bus-blaster-v3-p-1415.html?cPath=63_69

have you used it to confirm it works??
tom99

Activity: 420

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 08:35:22 PM

let me know

Danny

have you used it to confirm it works??

check out this link https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=262558.0
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 »
  Print  

Jump to: