Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 08:40:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Multibit wallet problem  (Read 3501 times)
kneim
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 10:21:37 PM

This is what you gotta do, take the wallet.dat out of your client that you sent the coins to. And download a new client. with the backup wallet.dat replace the new one, then try -rescan your coins should pop up
With multibit the wallet file is "multibit.wallet". The file "wallet.dat" is for bitcoin-qt client.

orymh

Activity: 167
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2013, 10:22:37 PM

I suggest trying a new wallet client

But i can't insert the private key I extracted from the multibit client, can I?
I thought you did it before.

There is a menu with import and export of private keys. After a new installation simply use this to import the previously exported keys.

Ok so this is not client dependant?

Private keys are client-independent. As noted in my previous post, you can import them into a different local wallet client, or into an online wallet. The process varies, but there's always (so far as I've seen) a way to do it.

kneim
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 10:23:19 PM

There is a menu with import and export of private keys. After a new installation simply use this to import the previously exported keys.

As long as you stick with multibit, it is not client dependend.

kneim
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 10:26:57 PM

Private keys are client-independent. As noted in my previous post, you can import them into a different local wallet client, or into an online wallet. The process varies, but there's always (so far as I've seen) a way to do it.
Attention, Hem4Tic1 is a newcomer. The exported file IS client dependent. The key itself is not. Go on with multibit and the exported keys.

orymh

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2013, 10:28:05 PM

This is true if you password-protect your export, which is important under normal circumstances. If you want to use your private key from MultiBit with a client other than MultiBit, you can export it in plain text. If you do this, it is critical that you delete the export file when you're done with it, because having your private key laying around in plain text is very dangerous.

Hem4Tic1 (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 10:29:19 PM

Attention, Hem4Tic1 is a newcomer. The exported file IS client dependent. The key itself is not. Go on with multibit and the exported keys.

and what about the blockchain.info wallet? Can I make a wallet there, import the key i got from my multibit client and have the btc show up there? that seems like an easy way to solve the problem..
orymh

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2013, 10:29:56 PM

Looks like we're talking at cross purposes a little bit. Overall I agree with you: if MultiBit will work, definitely stick with MultiBit. If you're fed up with MultiBit and want to try something else, you can export your keys in plain text and switch clients.

kneim
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 10:31:33 PM

This is true if you password-protect your export, which is important under normal circumstances. If you want to use your private key from MultiBit with a client other than MultiBit, you can export it in plain text. If you do this, it is critical that you delete the export file when you're done with it, because having your private key laying around in plain text is very dangerous.
You are right, but I think this is far from his scope. One step after the other.

orymh

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2013, 10:32:35 PM

and what about the blockchain.info wallet? Can I make a wallet there, import the key i got from my multibit client and have the btc show up there? that seems like an easy way to solve the problem..

This would require a plain text export also. Kneim's got the right idea: if we can get MultiBit to do its job, that's probably going to be the smoothest solution for you.

Hem4Tic1 (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 10:35:03 PM

This would require a plain text export also. Kneim's got the right idea: if we can get MultiBit to do its job, that's probably going to be the smoothest solution for you.

Ok seems valid. But I am not really sure what to do now. Should I 1. find the .wallet file and back that up 2. delete all the other multibit files 3. install multibit again 4. import private key?
kneim
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 10:35:27 PM

I'm in Germany, have to go to bed now. TAKE YOUR TIME. There is no need to hurry. If you really have the export file, you will recover your coins. Make a backup of it, to a USB stick, f. e.

Alexander The Great

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 10:35:41 PM

problem fixed?
Hem4Tic1 (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 10:36:15 PM

I'm in Germany, have to go to bed now. TAKE YOUR TIME. There is no need to hurry. If you really have the export file, you will recover your coins. Make a backup of it, to a USB stick, f. e.

Ok thanks for your help! Wink
Hem4Tic1 (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 10:36:38 PM

problem fixed?

Not yet, see couple of posts back
kneim
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 10:37:17 PM

Don't delete anything, do only rename at this stage.

Alexander The Great

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 10:38:04 PM

Hey there,

Yesterday (about 24 hours ago) a friend sent me approximate 0.3 bitcoin to my address, however it hasn't shown up in my MultiBit wallet yet.

When I check at blockexplorer, (http://blockexplorer.com/a/3thn6hyPkn) it says I've already received it though?

Can anyone tell me what to do to let the btc show up in my multibit wallet?

Thanks in advance! Smiley

0.3 bitcoins is a lot to lose.. sorry about that.
Hem4Tic1 (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 10:39:56 PM

When i try to find the .wallet file on my desktop pc I can find it within 10 seconds, but my desktop is running vista and the laptop I have the multibit client with the problem on is running xp and the .wallet file is nowhere to be found
Hem4Tic1 (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 10:45:51 PM

I really need some sleep now too, will be back this morning.

You guys are really helpfull, I am just not experienced with bitcoins (and not that good with computers in general) and this seems like one nasty bug   Undecided

orymh

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2013, 10:49:04 PM
Last edit: June 19, 2013, 01:11:24 AM by orymh

Ok seems valid. But I am not really sure what to do now. Should I 1. find the .wallet file and back that up 2. delete all the other multibit files 3. install multibit again 4. import private key?

Here are the steps I'd use. It's a longer process, but it's one way to be absolutely certain that your old .wallet file isn't messing things up:
1. Find the .wallet file.
2. Make a copy of it and the whole folder it's in. This is sort of overkill, but better safe than sorry, right?
3. Uninstall MultiBit through the Add/Remove Programs control panel. Check the "force the deletion of..." checkbox.
4. Reboot.
5. Go back to your original .wallet file's location. Rename that file, or better yet, rename the folder it's in.
6. Reinstall MultiBit.
7. Import your private key.

This ensures that your old .wallet file can't cause any issues with your new MultiBit install.

If you'd like more in-depth help finding your .wallet file, let me know. I know how frustrating it can be to bang your head against XP.

Hem4Tic1 (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 09:37:25 AM

Ok seems valid. But I am not really sure what to do now. Should I 1. find the .wallet file and back that up 2. delete all the other multibit files 3. install multibit again 4. import private key?

Here are the steps I'd use. It's a longer process, but it's one way to be absolutely certain that your old .wallet file isn't messing things up:
1. Find the .wallet file.
2. Make a copy of it and the whole folder it's in. This is sort of overkill, but better safe than sorry, right?
3. Uninstall MultiBit through the Add/Remove Programs control panel. Check the "force the deletion of..." checkbox.
4. Reboot.
5. Go back to your original .wallet file's location. Rename that file, or better yet, rename the folder it's in.
6. Reinstall MultiBit.
7. Import your private key.

This ensures that your old .wallet file can't cause any issues with your new MultiBit install.

If you'd like more in-depth help finding your .wallet file, let me know. I know how frustrating it can be to bang your head against XP.

Ok I have done this exactly the way you suggested, but after synchronizing it still displays I have got 0.0 BTC  Sad

I have no clue on what to do now..
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: