Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 09:32:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Multibit wallet problem  (Read 3501 times)
Hem4Tic1 (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 10:02:39 AM

If anyone knows a possible solution please tell me Smiley
Hem4Tic1 (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 11:12:04 AM

Ok to sum it all up for people who don't want to read the whole topic:

BTC got sent to my MultiBit wallet (http://blockexplorer.com/address/17xSPe9avt1S5uL1Dtedoj7dQD6DgYozx1) on my laptop which is running windows xp, however the BTC never appeared in my wallet (It has been about 48 hours since the BTC got sent)

I first tried to solve this by restarting blockchain and transactions, this didn't do anything

I then exported the private key, reinstalled multibit and imported the key again; after synchronizing it still told me I have 0.0 BTC in my wallet

The multibit client is version 0.5.11
mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 2610

In a world of peaches, don't ask for apple sauce

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2013, 11:24:13 AM

Maybe try installing bitcoinqt and importing the keys there or use an online trusted wallet provider and import the keys (use this only as the last measure)

Hem4Tic1 (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 11:49:03 AM

Maybe try installing bitcoinqt and importing the keys there or use an online trusted wallet provider and import the keys (use this only as the last measure)

any other method? Am i going to lose my btc, or will I be good since I have the private key and e.g blockchain says I received it? If there's not any other method then what you just suggested, how do I pull this of exactly?
cp1

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 12:34:52 PM

It really should work -- I'm not sure what's wrong.  But you can take your private key and import it into a blockchain.info online wallet.  Just don't leave your bitcoins in there, I don't trust it.

https://blockchain.info/wallet

Signup, go to import/export and add private key.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
Hem4Tic1 (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 12:40:16 PM

It really should work -- I'm not sure what's wrong.  But you can take your private key and import it into a blockchain.info online wallet.  Just don't leave your bitcoins in there, I don't trust it.

https://blockchain.info/wallet

Signup, go to import/export and add private key.

Ok I can try that, but I already imported the key on my reinstalled multibit, does this matter?

Also, I think someone noted that I can't just import the multibit key into a blockchain. info wallet, but that I first have to decode it or sth??
cp1

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 12:46:12 PM

It says it accepts all sorts of private keys, so you should be fine.  It doesn't matter whether you've imported it into something else as long as your bitcoins are at the address associated with the key you can access them with that key from any client.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
Hem4Tic1 (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 01:27:50 PM

It says it accepts all sorts of private keys, so you should be fine.  It doesn't matter whether you've imported it into something else as long as your bitcoins are at the address associated with the key you can access them with that key from any client.

Ok I made a blockchain.info wallet, but when I go to Import/Export -> Import Private key I don't know how to put the private key in, how do I do this?
HeroC
Legendary

Activity: 858
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 02:03:51 PM

Leave MultiBit open for a bit, it needs to syncronize.
Hem4Tic1 (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 02:06:47 PM

You sure? It has been 48 hours ago the bitc were sent and it nowhere says that it is synchronizing..
HeroC
Legendary

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 02:08:10 PM

You sure? It has been 48 hours ago the bitc were sent and it nowhere says that it is synchronizing..

Try doing a BlockChain reset. https://multibit.org/help_resetBlockchain.html

Set the date to a week before your first transaction.

It may help.
Hem4Tic1 (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 02:09:07 PM

It may help.

As you could have noted in posts before I already have done this multiple times
HeroC
Legendary

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 02:14:49 PM

It may help.

As you could have noted in posts before I already have done this multiple times

Sorry didn't see that.

If I recall right, I had this problem too.  I did a blockchain reset and needed to restart MultiBit and Computer, launch, and wait 5mins for multibit to start relaying from servers. Ill help more later, I got to go.
kneim
Legendary

Activity: 1666

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 02:32:43 PM

Move your mouse over the lower left edge of the multibit client window. It must show you the current block number.

If the block number is not up-to-date or not rising, then check your firewall.

Hem4Tic1 (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 02:34:52 PM

Move your mouse over the lower left edge of the multibit client window. It must show you the current block number.

If the block number is not up-to-date or not rising, then check your firewall.

It says amount of blocks: 242.292

No idea what this has to to mean
kneim
Legendary

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 02:41:45 PM

This is the current block number, so the communication to the network is ok.

For me this means you
a) did not have send the coins to the address you believe
b) the matching private key is not yet imported into the multibit client

It is possible that a newcomer mixes up sending and receiving addresses, not so good.

Can you see the used public address in the receiving tab?

Hem4Tic1 (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 02:47:15 PM

This is the current block number, so the communication to the network is ok.

For me this means you
a) did not have send the coins to the address you believe
b) the matching private key is not yet imported into the multibit client

It is possible that a newcomer mixes up sending and receiving addresses, not so good.

Can you see the used public address in the receiving tab?

Yes my receiving address is 17xSPe9avt1S5uL1Dtedoj7dQD6DgYozx1, and if you check this address at e.g. blockchain.info (https://blockchain.info/address/17xSPe9avt1S5uL1Dtedoj7dQD6DgYozx1) you can see I should have received the BTC
kneim
Legendary

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 03:06:33 PM

No more idea at this time.

But whoever is reading this, always make a minimum transaction first. And if that works, backup and distribute your wallet, before using it for more.

kneim
Legendary

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 03:38:22 PM

You did not yet have found the file multibit.wallet on your xp?

orymh

Activity: 167
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2013, 03:47:35 PM

It says it accepts all sorts of private keys, so you should be fine.  It doesn't matter whether you've imported it into something else as long as your bitcoins are at the address associated with the key you can access them with that key from any client.

Ok I made a blockchain.info wallet, but when I go to Import/Export -> Import Private key I don't know how to put the private key in, how do I do this?

This will require a plain text export of your private key from MultiBit. The steps for this:
1. In MultiBit, go to Tools->Export Private Keys.
2. In the "Password of export file" section, select "Do not password protect export file."
3. Make a note of the destination filename - that's where your key will be.
4. Click "Export private keys."

The export file will be a text file. Even though it has the .key extension, you can open it in Notepad or Wordpad or any other text editor. Open the file and copy the key, but don't include the date or the stuff after it - Blockchain.info will choke on it.

On Blockchain.info, log in to your wallet, go to Import/Export, and paste your key into the "Add Private Key" blank. After you click "Add Private Key", you're given the option to import the key or automatically transfer funds. Either one should work fine. Then you're done, and your funds should show up in your Blockchain.info wallet - instantly, if you chose to import directly rather than "sweeping" to a new key.

I think I mentioned this in a previous post, but it's important enough to repeat: delete that export file as soon as you're done with it. If anyone gets their hands on your private key, they can take your money.

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: