Bitcoin Forum
June 07, 2024, 05:31:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ... 70 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Activity & new membergroup limits  (Read 242384 times)
dwdoc
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

- - -Caveat Aleo- - -

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 11:21:29 PM

Obviously it will reduce the number of garbage posts but it will also decrease some of the give and take; like threads that update newbies on mining options, or discuss interesting articles, or speculate on the value of bitcoin. I think it's going to get awfully quiet around here...

What? You think people merely post in those threads to get their postcount up?

If it's only about numbers going up I can sell these people a cute little app that sits in the corner of their screen slowly counting up and they can stare and smile at it all day. Only 1 BTC in this introductory week.

It's not the only reason people post but it is definitely a factor. Overall I think the change will be positive though.
dwdoc
Legendary

Activity: 966

- - -Caveat Aleo- - -

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 11:25:47 PM

Maybe I'll add a new group between Jr. Member and Full member. What should it be called?

51%'er

Swollen Member.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 11:29:26 PM

Maybe I'll add a new group between Jr. Member and Full member. What should it be called?

51%'er

Swollen Member.

That's close to what I was thinking. Stiff Member.

Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3276
Merit: 4111

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 11:42:55 PM

I'm a full member - newbie again! YES.
Charles999

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 11:44:13 PM

What does the UNtrustworthy next to Matt's name referr to?  He scammed somone?

time = number of two-week periods in which you've posted since your registration
activity = min(time * 14, posts)
I don't like it.

It embodies the assumption that any post above once per day (averaged over two weeks) is not contributing; which I do not agree with.

At the very least number of posts per day should be increased, e.g. min(time * 28, posts).

And you should consider more sophisticated metrics such as sum of f(x) over all two-week periods, f(x) being x / (1 + sqrt(x/14)) or x / (1 + x/28).

Time spent logged in will also be useful to include as a component.

I flunked math, but I could add that logged in time is easily gamable now with sites like newbiejail.org, so it would probably make more sense to judge length of posts as well. The best thing would be if Theymos accepted my request months ago to make a "post vote" and "user trust circle" function to allow for ratings of posts by content, eliminate newbie jail entirely by having a trusted user trust you, etc.
Cyrus
Ninja
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 3006

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 11:45:40 PM

I really like this idea and I think it's best for the long run.
People will need some time to adjust to it. Only problem that I see so far is that users instinctively look for the username/avatar and when they see a number next to it they assume it's the post count.

I updated the post from the Forum ranks/positions sticky thread here.
Somebody should either sticky this thread or update the other.

Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 11:46:09 PM

I'm the only one feeling younger with this system?

And it's a nice feeling Wink

QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 11:49:02 PM

time = number of two-week periods in which you've posted since your registration
I don't like it.

It embodies the assumption that any post above once per day (averaged over two weeks) is not contributing; which I do not agree with.

At the very least number of posts per day should be increased, e.g. min(time * 28, posts).

And you should consider more sophisticated metrics such as sum of f(x) over all two-week periods, f(x) being x / (1 + sqrt(x/14)) or x / (1 + x/28).

I flunked math, but I could add that logged in time is easily gamable now with sites like newbiejail.org, so it would probably make more sense to judge length of posts as well. The best thing would be if Theymos accepted my request months ago to make a "post vote" and "user trust circle" function to allow for ratings of posts by content, eliminate newbie jail entirely by having a trusted user trust you, etc.

No, he screwed up so bad theymos came up with a new tag just for him. lol

Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 11:49:49 PM

I don't like it.

Lol

TomUnderSea

Activity: 126

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 11:51:47 PM

I don't like it.

The fact he is still here and trying to putting things right gives him more cred in my book.

Every little BTC helps.  14P3TfbttSpQ3BxUjwrUrmNU6F4mB9aMS5
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 11:55:45 PM

I don't like it.

The fact he is still here and trying to putting things right gives him more cred in my book.

That's true and in fact it's kind of cool having a tag no one else has. I want to be called "flaming asshole" but I'm afraid that name will be reserved for Inaba first. rolf

freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 11:56:03 PM

What does the UNtrustworthy next to Matt's name referr to?  He scammed somone?

I don't like it.

That's true and in fact it's kind of cool having a tag no one else has. I want to be called "flaming asshole" but I'm afraid that name will be reserved for Inaba first. rolf

He's the dark hero of the forums Smiley
That would be a fun custom title to see
The Flaming asshole posted this XD

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
TomUnderSea

Activity: 126

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 11:57:52 PM

I don't like it.

I want "Cranky Curmudgeon" but I'm not willing to work too hard for it.  Perhaps "Lazy Curmudgeon" would be better.

Every little BTC helps.  14P3TfbttSpQ3BxUjwrUrmNU6F4mB9aMS5
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 12:54:28 AM

What does the UNtrustworthy next to Matt's name referr to?  He scammed somone?

I don't like it.

He's the dark hero of the forums Smiley
That would be a fun custom title to see
The Flaming asshole posted this XD

lol

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2013, 01:07:30 AM

Just found this. Looks fine to me. Hope it didn't cost $1M USD to build.  Grin

Will there be a top 10 Activity in the stats (or you need more money to that  Grin)?

Haven't read this thread with the exception of the OP.

Later, bud.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 01:10:57 AM

Just found this. Looks fine to me. Hope it didn't cost $1M USD to build.  Grin

Will there be a top 10 Activity in the stats (or you need more money to that  Grin)?

Haven't read this thread with the exception of the OP.

Later, bud.

For you this is like playing a round of "The Biggest Loser." lol

Node

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 02:03:19 AM

This is bizarre, does it really solve what it means to solve (indication of trust/activity)?
Benson Samuel
Legendary

Activity: 1890

Landscaping Bitcoin for India!

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2013, 02:11:29 AM

This is bizarre, does it really solve what it means to solve (indication of trust/activity)?

It reduces the number of scammers and spammers on the forums.

dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2013, 02:30:41 AM
Last edit: June 19, 2013, 03:10:56 AM by dogie

This new system is retarded, all it does is demote me significantly for my account not being old. I have high time online, I spend a hell of a lot of time online, I'm active, I contribute.

But now I look the same as someone who has posted once every 2 weeks and has 10 posts....

Edit: Not what I meant, see:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=237597.msg2515986#msg2515986

QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 02:34:57 AM

This new system is retarded, all it does is demote me significantly for my account not being old. I have high time online, I spend a hell of a lot of time online, I'm active, I contribute.

But now I look the same as someone who has posted once every 2 weeks and has 10 posts....

It's going to drive away people that want to trade and are just posting to increase their post count for trading instead of trolling like they should be doing. I like it! I don't trade here anyway.

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ... 70 »
  Print  

Jump to: