Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 01:24:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 ... 243 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Just-Dice.com : now with added CLAMs : Play or Invest  (Read 454539 times)
kleetkluts

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 05:23:17 PM

User #1758

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bugpowder

Activity: 394
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 05:24:09 PM

Was this :

Your investment may also be used to fund promotions, or anything else the site owner considers to be beneficial to the overall growth of the site's bankroll. Given the anonymous nature of investing, it is impossible to gain consent of all investors before making decisions about how to use invested funds, so I am claiming the right to do whatever I consider best for the site with them.

originally present in the description ?

I would like to restrict the usage of my money to funding the pool.

it was not.

Ok, so then I'll add another suggestion : "when people lend you their money you don't get to change the rules underway", which intersects quite nicely with "make a GPG contract that I can review and hold you accountable against".

but somehow it was considered "too complicated."
I call it simple, issue shares, IPO them, problem solved. Shares are an investment in the management, lending money to the pool is a rational gamble.

And that obviously doesn't prevent from using some raised capital to fund the pool (depending on how the IPO is made and the shares issued), at the management's discretion.

Divest, pool has plenty of capital, it doesn't need yours.  Issuing shares is illegal.  GPG contracts are unenforceable.
davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2013, 05:29:14 PM

Divest, pool has plenty of capital, it doesn't need yours.  Issuing shares is illegal.  GPG contracts are unenforceable.

I do not recall addressing you.

frott

Activity: 38

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 05:44:27 PM

i was interested in the discussion purely from a "have more options for people" vs. "what is the simplest, successful setup."

Those are not mutually exclusive, but it was considered such. Unless some sort of voting system was put in place based on % of shares, of course, it is likely impossible to parse all investors opinions.

And a lot of the sentiment was similar to bugpowder and those who apparently have invested a lot: more investment isn't really wanted, and when the option to increase % of your investment to go towards bankroll happens, there will literally be no real reason for further investment.

So yes, tools + concepts that make investment more robust than what it is are in exact odds with the fact that current investors don't want "more" investors when there is a 1% edge (that is currently performing at 3%). When things are on an upswing sure people want less split, but when it swings back down that extra investment absorbs things Wink

To address the sentiment voiced earlier in the thread of pure bankroll footers cashing in on the investment of those who "opt in" to have their funds used in other ways, it would be trivial to have different returns on the types of investments. Clearly the BTC going towards site investment should return a higher cut than that only footing bankroll, if that were to be initiated.

I recall the rationalization for changing it is that nothing making use of this new policy has been enacted. To be fair, this was only discussed over 5-10 minutes in chat (that i saw) and then updated. There is no news feed, and it wasn't posted here. Perhaps that sort of "news feed" will come in another update to the site. I think the idea was that the sooner it is made clear that investment is left to doog's discretion, the better. I can see the validity to a  complaint of it seeming like a "switcheroo" if you didn't happen to be reading chat to see the discussions, or the pattern that this could be the beginning of.

The flipside of that is to trust.

dooglus (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1330

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 06:12:40 PM

Was this :

Oh, no!  And it's not meant to be there now either!!!  Your investment is absolutely just for funding the bankroll.  I put it there in my local copy of the file while discussing ideas with investors in the on-site chat and accidentally left it there after we had decided that it wasn't reasonable.  Then uploaded the file when I fixed a typo elsewhere in the file.

What I ended up doing to cover the case where I need more to pay for the site is mention that the commission rate can be changed with 7 days' clear notice.

Thanks for spotting this!

Just-Dice                 ██             
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
  ██████████████████████████ 
██████████████████████████████
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   Play or Invest                 ██             
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   1% House Edge
dooglus (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 06:28:32 PM

I think we need a separate thread for investors, to separate it from the "bitcent please" posts.  What would be the correct forum for it?

do you plan to advertise on this forum?

I will look into advertising when I feel that we need more players.  The site seems to be doing well at the moment without advertising.  It went down for half an hour yesterday, probably due to the server not being able to handle the number of players that came for the 2 millionth bet promotion.  So I'd like to make sure we can handle the load comfortably before advertising.

I'm not sure if it will be necessary either.  The investors are incentivised to spread the word themselves, since they directly benefit from new players.  I could increase the commission rate enough to be able to afford to advertise, or I can keep the vast majority of the profits going to the investors, and leave it to them to bring in players.  Basically nothing's free (except, apparently, for a never-ending stream of bitcents.  They're free).

Is there any way to pause the live bets? I am often interested in looking at one bet but it goes away before I can even click it.

Nope.  But it's an easy addition.  I've added it to my massive to-do list.  Thanks.  What might be helpful is that at the bottom of the 'account' tab there are settings to specify which bets you want to see, by size or userid.  So if the flood of small bets is annoying, limit it to only show bets above a certain size, or above a certain profit/loss.

Let's break it down: Suppose the house (the site investor) is currently playing with a 90 BTC bankroll and you invest 10 BTC. You will have 10% of the new 'current bankroll'. Each bet that a player makes is played against the current bankroll. As players win and lose, your investment grows or shrinks by 10% of the overall house profit. When you withdraw your investment you get 10% of the current bankroll.

Dooglus - I don't think this wording is what you mean; at least I hope it isn't.  If someone "invests" 100 BTC to take the bankroll up to 200 BTC, and I then withdraw, surely you don't mean I get 10% of 200, i.e. take 10 BTC of the new investor's money?

The wording needs cleaning up.

Yes.  Every time anyone invests or divests, all percentages are recalculated.  If you have 10% of the bankroll of 100 and then someone invests another 100 BTC, you will then have 5% of the new bankroll of 200.  Otherwise the initial investor would still own 100% of the bankroll now, since she started off with her 5 BTC investment being 100% of the bankroll.  That wouldn't be even close to being fair.  I'll change the wording.  I find it hard to be concise, clear, accurate and complete all at once.  Pick any 3.  Or possibly 2.

Oh, and last thing, the description sorta contradicts itself :

Your investment may also be used to fund promotions, or anything else the site owner considers to be beneficial to the overall growth of the site's bankroll.

and

The site currently charges a 1% commission on net investment profits to cover expenses such as advertising, server hosting, etc.

I would really like to see this cleared up ASAP so I can decide whether I want to throw more money at dooglus or divest.

Oh, and last thing, a proper GPG-signed contract for investors would be nice.

Right.  I was originally thinking that the investors should allow me to use their investment for whatever seems to be needed.  But that's something they didn't agree to, and wouldn't necessarily agree to.  So I changed it to everything being paid for from the commission, with the commission rate being adjustable as needed, with 7 days' notice.  Then I left both changes in the text accidentally.  The "Your investment may also be used ..." text was never intended to be published, and is now gone.

██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   1% House Edge
maryanne23

Activity: 4

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 06:30:57 PM

Is the 0.01 still available?
User: 1864
dooglus (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 06:31:51 PM

115 2013-06-24 18:31:46 (1) manually crediting user 1760 with amount 0.01 RichardChanze
116 2013-06-24 18:31:48 (1) manually crediting user 1764 with amount 0.01 zapeta
117 2013-06-24 18:31:50 (1) manually crediting user 1778 with amount 0.01 stephwen
118 2013-06-24 18:31:52 (1) manually crediting user 1809 with amount 0.01 audrey
119 2013-06-24 18:31:55 (1) manually crediting user 1820 with amount 0.01 Blazr
120 2013-06-24 18:31:56 (1) manually crediting user 1838 with amount 0.01 BTCTalkAccounts
121 2013-06-24 18:31:58 (1) manually crediting user 1758 with amount 0.01 kleetkluts
122 2013-06-24 18:33:38 (1) manually crediting user 1864 with amount 0.01 maryanne23

Did I miss anyone?

██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   1% House Edge
Bugpowder

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 06:38:35 PM

Was this :

Oh, no!  And it's not meant to be there now either!!!  Your investment is absolutely just for funding the bankroll.  I put it there in my local copy of the file while discussing ideas with investors in the on-site chat and accidentally left it there after we had decided that it wasn't reasonable.  Then uploaded the file when I fixed a typo elsewhere in the file.

What I ended up doing to cover the case where I need more to pay for the site is mention that the commission rate can be changed with 7 days' clear notice.

Thanks for spotting this!

I did think that was a bit weird, because following the chat discussion I thought you decided to not do that.  I'm cool either way.  Whatever approach maximizes betting volume while minimizing investors is a win Wink
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 06:51:11 PM

Right.  I was originally thinking that the investors should allow me to use their investment for whatever seems to be needed.  But that's something they didn't agree to, and wouldn't necessarily agree to.  So I changed it to everything being paid for from the commission, with the commission rate being adjustable as needed, with 7 days' notice.  Then I left both changes in the text accidentally.  The "Your investment may also be used ..." text was never intended to be published, and is now gone.

His point about GPG signing is valid however. Costs nothing to sign the copy once you've settled on something.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
nrd525
Legendary

Activity: 1867
Merit: 1023

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 07:01:55 PM

How is the website making a 3% margin on the bets (199 BTC out of 6200 BTC), have a 1% (long-run) cut, and the luck percent (presumably for the users in general) is 140%?

This seems extremely unlikely if the most you can win is 1% of the betting pool.  You'd have to lose a lot of large bets to make this happen.

Digital Gold for Gamblers and True Believers
davout
Legendary

1davout

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2013, 07:15:10 PM

This seems extremely unlikely if the most you can win is 1% of the betting pool.  You'd have to lose a lot of large bets to make this happen.
How about actually calculating the likelihood ? Doesn't sound like it would be something extremely hard to do.

Also thank you Dooglus for your comments!

Let me just insist on the GPG thing and develop it a little. The point is not to add some artificial trust by the means of some technical artifact (a GPG-signed commitment is still worthless to you if made by someone you do not trust). The point is simply to very clearly separate what is part of the contract, and what is not.

MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 07:16:36 PM

How is the website making a 3% margin on the bets (199 BTC out of 6200 BTC), have a 1% (long-run) cut, and the luck percent (presumably for the users in general) is 140%?

This seems extremely unlikely if the most you can win is 1% of the betting pool.  You'd have to lose a lot of large bets to make this happen.

The luck variable published reflects just the bets, discounting the sum wagered. So if you win 5 rolls of 1 BTC and lose 1 roll of 10 BTC your bottom line is -5 but your luck 166%.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
nrd525
Legendary

Activity: 1867
Merit: 1023

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 07:25:00 PM

I get that.

I cannot calculate the likelihood of this because I don't know the bet size distribution.  It would take a large number of high bets (0.5-1% of the betting pool) for this to be at all probable.

It seems weird given the fact that there have been so many bets that you would not be closer to a normal distribution.  However, maybe there is a large number of big bets and the rest of the bets are very tiny.

Digital Gold for Gamblers and True Believers
davout
Legendary

1davout

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2013, 07:28:28 PM

I think the best that could happed to JD is someone coming up with a martingale script/bot.

BRules

Activity: 293

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 07:34:53 PM

I think the best that could happed to JD is someone coming up with a martingale script/bot.

there's already a martingale script wrote in javascript:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=238613.msg2536674#msg2536674

davout
Legendary

1davout

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2013, 07:36:56 PM

there's already a martingale script wrote in javascript:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=238613.msg2536674#msg2536674

Great, now someone just got to make it look like it's somehow some sort of forbidden cheat xD

Bugpowder

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 07:39:57 PM

I get that.

I cannot calculate the likelihood of this because I don't know the bet size distribution.  It would take a large number of high bets (0.5-1% of the betting pool) for this to be at all probable.

It seems weird given the fact that there have been so many bets that you would not be closer to a normal distribution.  However, maybe there is a large number of big bets and the rest of the bets are very tiny.

There have been a small number of very large bets and millions of dust bets.
dooglus (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 07:45:04 PM

It would take a large number of high bets (0.5-1% of the betting pool) for this to be at all probable.

That's where you're going wrong I think.  You can bet up to 7500 BTC on a single bet at 98%.  If that single large bet lost, the site would be up 7500 BTC.  It doesn't take a large number of high bets to be 200 BTC up - it just takes one.

██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   1% House Edge
davout
Legendary

1davout

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2013, 07:47:32 PM

It would be very nice to have a preview of the fee calculation before divesting.
Something that updates dynamically when you change the content of the "amount to divest" field would be terrific.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 ... 243 »
  Print  

Jump to: