Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 07:22:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you feel ICOs try to raise too much?  (Read 1719 times)
alpsea
Copper Member

Activity: 1274
Merit: 555

https://refpa28543.top/L?tag=d_286347m_1264c_&site

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 10:09:39 AM

My thoughts about Icos are a bit different
I always care about the thoughts of a couple of people I trust
And they help me to choose Ico
It's very difficult to trust fully but we still try

Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Harry1v

Activity: 115
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 01:43:43 PM

Now that the ico project needs more and more money, the team is becoming more and more greedy. I don't know how much it will cost in the end, but if it goes on like this, the ico bubble will surely burst. It is likely that most of the money will go to bitcoin.

minbosen

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 01:48:13 PM

It is a very simple fact that if every dev team want to raise as much as they can if they can do that. It is the investors that should know the risks.

▄▄▄██████████████████▄▄▄
            ▄▄██▀▀▀▀▀███████████████████████▄▄
        ▄▄███▀   ▄▄▄   ▀████████████████████████▄▄
     ▄██████  ▄███████▄  ▀██████████████████▀▀▀█████▄
   ▄███████    ███▀▀ ██    ███████████  ███▀  ▄███████▄
  █████████▄  ▄█▀  ▄███    ██████████  ▄██  ▄███████████
 ██████████████▀  ████▀   ▄██▀▀▀████  ▄████▀  ███████████
██████████████▀  ▄███▀   ▄█▀  ▄▄ ██▀ ▄█  ██  █████████████
██████████████   ▀     ▄██▀  ▄█  █▀  █   █▀▄  ▀███████████
█████████████▀  ▄███▄  ▀██   ██ ▄▄▄  █▀ ▄▄▀█▄  ▀▄█████████
█████████████   █████   ▀██▄ ▀▄████▄  ▄███▄▀  ▄███████████
 █████   ▀██▀  ▄█████    █▀▀█████████████████▀███████████
  ████   ▄█▀   █████    ██ ▀▄█▀▄▄▀█ ▀▄▀█▀▄▀ █▀█ ▀▄██████
   ▀███▄▄   ▄█▄ ▀▀     ███ █ █ ▄▄▄█  █ █ █  █ █ ██████▀
     ▀██████████▄▄▄▄▄█████▄█▄██▄▄██ █▄███▄█▄█▄█▄████▀
        ▀▀██████████████████████████████████████▀▀
            ▀▀██████████████████████████████▀▀
                 ▀▀▀██████████████████▀▀▀
      Powered by
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
|
|
|
|

▀██▄       ▀████▄
▄    ▀██          ▀██▄
██▄ ▄███         ▄█████▄▄
 ▀███████▄     ▄██▀ ▀▀████
      ▀████▄ ▄██▀     ▀█▀
        ▀████▄
        ▄█▀████▄
      ▄███▄▀▀████▄
    ▄████▀    ▀████▄
  ▄████▀        ▀██▀█▄
  ▀██▀            ▀██▀
pikatju

Activity: 336
Merit: 100

https://wallet.merit.me/?invite=Pikachu

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 01:52:55 PM

I usually go for icos trying to raise 5mio or less. Anything higher doesn't give good returns even if the product is good.

Persiville

Activity: 144

Earn with impressio.io

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 01:59:29 PM

Nowadays its hard to choose ICO , not only because of too many scams and they will just run away, there are also so many ICO's running now, its hard for the investors to choose which is which and if it will be true to their words, its not that I am accusing but there are quiet few that it will just runaway. They would try to raise enough money to start for their own business, but that is not only for the devs, the investors also who took part of the ICO would benefit it.

▰▰▰▰▰▰      IMPRESSIO     ▰▰     THE FUTURE OF INVESTING      ▰▰▰▰▰▰
Lightpaper   ▰   ✔ Instant Withdrawals  ✔ Team with a huge experience in the field   ▰   Facebook
Telegram   ███  ✔ 5% Partner Commission  ✔ Automated system for investors   ███   Twitter
jk_14
Legendary

Activity: 1292
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 06:39:57 PM

What makes you trust them? I would be very careful with that approach unless they have some solid experience with oldschool investments. It's very easy to pick bad ICOs, even if there are some good ones.
1NV3ST0NM3

Activity: 420
Merit: 110

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 06:46:09 PM

Oh wow I was searching for this thread since I joined the altcoin section. Raising more than 10000 ETH just to develop an application or I would say a "platform" that is seriously too much. Creating an ERC token and completing with all other requirements takes just around 1 BTC at max. For any type of best project development just give me 500 ETH I would surely come up with the best startup app you can ever get. These ICO's just try to steal people's money and thats it.
cryptomngr

Activity: 182

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 06:57:20 PM

ICOs raising too much because it was made exactly to be like that and when the developers are satisfied to the investments they will eventually dump the project and take away all the investment and you will get rekt so stay away fro these ICOs.

jk_14
Legendary

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 07:14:24 PM

ICOs raising too much because it was made exactly to be like that and when the developers are satisfied to the investments they will eventually dump the project and take away all the investment and you will get rekt so stay away fro these ICOs.
If that's your only experience with ICOs you haven't put in enough effort to identify good ones. There are numerous out there that are serious and in the future there will be even more. Of course, a lot of people will "get rekt" in the process, but that's not because of ICOs. It's because they throw their money at anything that sounds big instead of doing deep research before choosing.
nelmari

Activity: 504

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 07:39:14 PM

If that's your only experience with ICOs you haven't put in enough effort to identify good ones. There are numerous out there that are serious and in the future there will be even more. Of course, a lot of people will "get rekt" in the process, but that's not because of ICOs. It's because they throw their money at anything that sounds big instead of doing deep research before choosing.

True to that. At first I didn't know what to look for in an ICO project but corrected my mistake so I would not get rekt and did research not just on the project and read the white paper but also did more digging on the team itself and help me lessen and chose which ICO are worth it. There are still a lot of great ICO's out there and are legit but you got to do the work before investing and wasting your money on a hyped ICO.
Lipe490

Activity: 602
Merit: 263

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 07:57:57 PM

One thing I've learned in the ICO's and altcoins world is that it does no matter the amount they raise but the project itself. You can take by example the NEBL coin which has raised 500 BTC in their ICO and now it's worth more than 20x ico price. Or you can see ATL ICO which raised more than 15M and is worth -60% ico price and it's on their way to be a scam apparently. So it's very subjective ICO's rasing too much because in the end they have nothing to show us but marketing.
KGBx

Activity: 364

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 08:05:37 PM

I agree with OP. I think ICOs set incredibly high hardcaps, only because of greedy flipper investors who make this behavior possible...

▀▀▀▀▀▀     SWIPE  │ Monetizing mobile engagement data, on the blockchain    ▀▀▀▀▀▀
▄▄▄▄         Whitepaper       Telegram       Twitter       Medium       Reddit          ▄▄▄▄
jk_14
Legendary

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 08:27:13 PM

True to that. At first I didn't know what to look for in an ICO project but corrected my mistake so I would not get rekt and did research not just on the project and read the white paper but also did more digging on the team itself and help me lessen and chose which ICO are worth it. There are still a lot of great ICO's out there and are legit but you got to do the work before investing and wasting your money on a hyped ICO.
It's also a good idea to research the targeted market of the ICO and its size, as well as the potential competition. That gives you a good idea of how much the project might be worth at different points in time.
johanesrobin

Activity: 658

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 09:46:42 PM

I agree with OP. I think ICOs set incredibly high hardcaps, only because of greedy flipper investors who make this behavior possible...
Like one ICO from Israel (Spheris ), yes they set hardcap too big so ICO did not succeed.
this is very important for ICO not to target too much achievement.
primera

Activity: 240

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 03:38:30 AM

This is the time of the greed. ETH ICO raised the nice amount of money and also gained the trust of the fellow investors. That particular ICO started a chain of other projects raising funds to cover the expenses of their projects. Many developers in this situations are starting false campaigns that are closed after the end of the ICO shutting the door to investor and scamming everyone involved. There are many scams and many of developers see the easy money that they can gain easy with investors backing their projects. Many of them want too many funds covering not so promising projects and to evade investing in that kind of projects only solution is to make a deep research and invest smartly and with caution.
HitiinxMary

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 04:52:48 AM

It is a very simple fact that if every dev team want to raise as much as they can if they can do that. It is the investors that should know the risks.
You right, sometime they raise more than what they need, and those ico is not care about early investors profit.
puremage111

Activity: 1568
Merit: 511

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2017, 04:56:48 AM

I am not sure about the change on ICO

But ICO has changed, previously project could be successful although it take long time to finish the roadmap.

ICO now works different, everything is changed. People look at teams, project roadmap (People want it done as fast as possible, as everyone is looking for short term flip). And ICO now are calculated in millions compare to the olden days where only range within Hundred-K (Its alot in the past 2 year)
wayaneka

Activity: 644
Merit: 101

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2017, 07:53:50 AM

I think so, ICO is too big in determining hardcap target. I do not understand why ICO needs too much money, whereas there are some ICOs that are still just plans and dont have working product yet. The money is in use for what, probably all ICO should reduce the hardcap targets and maximize the quality of products that have been planned to give more benefits and  profit to the investors.

Black_bl

Activity: 503
Merit: 102

View Profile
December 01, 2017, 02:10:59 PM

I think so, ICO is too big in determining hardcap target. I do not understand why ICO needs too much money, whereas there are some ICOs that are still just plans and dont have working product yet. The money is in use for what, probably all ICO should reduce the hardcap targets and maximize the quality of products that have been planned to give more benefits and  profit to the investors.

On the other if they would have a working product, they will not a need get money from ICO. I would like to see more team that have working product and want to raise some money for expanding but it's just a wish.
juicyjanet88 (OP)

Activity: 81

MFG Token Sale - 1st of January

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 05:44:36 PM

Hey, I'm interested in everyone's opinions on this. I find so often when looking for ICOs I come across something that sounds like a good idea but then am instantly put off when they all seem to trying to raise 10s of millions for something I would deem could be perfectly possible with only a couple of million or even less.

Do you feel that ICOs tend to try and raise too much? If yes, do you think this is out of greed for their own personal gain or simply because they over estimate the worth of their idea?

Do you feel there is anything we can do as a community to bring expectations back to reality? Other than waiting for ICOs to continually under perform and then eventually expectations adjust?
Not all of them. Most of them do try to raise too much and that is one of the things I get to look at anyway before trying to invest in a project. There is just some amount of cash that is too much and then you wonder what the point is for raising such a huge amount of money for a project that can even kick start without much. Well, I will consider it greed and most of these projects end up not doing well eventually.

I usually always avoid ICOs that are uncapped or have very high caps.  I just feel it is much harder to see profits.  Many of these projects with high caps usually drop below the ICO price when it first hits the exchanges, especially if they also offer bounty campaigns.  This just messes up things for investors.  
Any high cap ICOs usually have a lot of difficulty in growing fast and always difficult for the investors to get so much from the coin at the end. As long as a project is viable and it has a good product that can easily fly, with a very low cap, they can do better, but most of these devs are just looking for quick ways to raise a lot of money for something that do not even need too much out of greed.

Of course not all of them. I think you are right in that it is simply just greed and for me too it is often an indicator that the project will not be too successful. I just feel like there should be something that can be done to curb it in such a way that they are only raising amounts that they really need. Of course for many investors it is easy to identify when an ICO is asking too much but for other investors they do not know such things and just see it as the norm.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: