Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 08:39:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is bitcoin just a brand?  (Read 1503 times)
andhovesyan (OP)

Activity: 154
Merit: 2

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2018, 05:56:47 PM

Litecoin is faster, monero is more private, ETH has smart contracts and there are much more altcoin with much more features, even Bitcoin Cash is faster than Bitcoin, but BTC keeps rising much faster.
Don't you think it's just because of the name?

Not just the name but the name now has become synonymous with cryptocurrency that they are inseparable. Rather more people know the bitcoin name than what a cryptocurrency is. I try tell people what I do and they blank on cryptocurrency and then I mention bitcoin 5 seconds later and most understand at that point. It goes to show how important bitcoin is to cryptos and in fact bitcoin may be bigger in popularity than cryptos.

According to coinmarketcap bitcoin dominance in cryptocurrency market was 60% when I've opened the topic, now it's 33%. Don't you think that BTC can lose the "status of a leader" over time, with the arrival of new investors into the market.

https://blockchaintd.com/
giogio0504

Activity: 322
Merit: 3

View Profile
January 07, 2018, 06:38:06 PM

We could say that bitcoin is the "brand", people trust in it because its history, because it proved that we can trust in crypto currencies and that it works.
jbautistangina

Activity: 258
Merit: 12

View Profile
January 07, 2018, 06:40:47 PM
Last edit: January 23, 2018, 08:13:15 AM by jbautistangina

BTC has started all of these other cryptocurrencies,alts whitepaper was based on the original whitepaper of satoshi nakamoto,its not just brand but a digital currency without centralization of these banks and governments that the fiats has,in my own point of view btc is an asset which you cant destroy nor be duplicated unlike money/fiat.

pushups44

Activity: 854
Merit: 281

View Profile
January 07, 2018, 06:44:57 PM

Bitcoin is a very strong and powerful brand name, and it has the first-mover advantage among cryptocurrencies. It's also relatively scarce compared to other cryptocurrencies. It is perhaps the most censorship-resistant of them all.
andhovesyan (OP)

Activity: 154
Merit: 2

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2018, 06:59:44 PM

BTC has started all of these other cryptos,alts whitepaper was based on the original whitepaper of satoshi nakamoto,its not  brand its a digital currency without centralization or no one controlling it.

My question is bitcoin better than other cryptos or it's just more popular, because it was the first one? People who are not well informed about cryptocurrencies thinks bitcoin is the only one. Many cryptos are based on bitcoin's technology but it doesn't mean they are worse, they are just different. I mean, if we change bitcoin's name to "Bitcoin Cash", and rename Bitcoin Cash to "Bitcoin", don't you think that it will cause BTC's price dump and BCC's price rise?

https://blockchaintd.com/
rudox

Activity: 476
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 07, 2018, 07:04:12 PM

Bitcoin is the Father  of  all the other coins. It is the precursor while other altcoins are trying to improve on Bitcoin and do some catch up. Bitcoin is head and shoulder above them all. It is not only the name but also the value.
bitcoinzen

Activity: 420
Merit: 11

View Profile
January 07, 2018, 07:12:55 PM

yes bitcoin is brand for online transactions it is better than visa and master card
AmericanBit

Activity: 630
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 07, 2018, 07:15:26 PM

Yes it brand, but it does not mean that it is smth bad. Any name becomes brand when it proves that it has quality and that it is trustworthy.
giogio0504

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 06:42:22 AM

Litecoin is faster, monero is more private, ETH has smart contracts and there are much more altcoin with much more features, even Bitcoin Cash is faster than Bitcoin, but BTC keeps rising much faster.

litecoin is the same as bitcoin with a much bigger potential blockchain size which makes running a node harder and much bigger orphan risk which makes trusting transactions with low number of confirmation that much harder. it also suffers the same scaling issues as bitcoin

Monero is the anonymous coin we all know but that high level of anonymity associated it with so many illegal activities that makes it something that regular people will stay away from. it also has much worse scaling issues than bitcoin.

ETH has smart contracts so does two dozen other projects. additionally bitcoin has smart contracts through RootStock. and let me ask you this: when was the last time you used a smart contract? where do you know "in real world" that a smart contract is absolutely necessary and is being used for real not for some short term fund raising to scam people and go away?

BCH is also exactly like bitcoin, it just has bigger blocks. it suffers the same scaling issues as bitcoin.

in short, bitcoin is not just a name. there is bitcoin, then there are altcoins that are not really better than bitcoin. that is why bitcoin keeps rising and altcoins do not.

The name (of the brand) comes from the quality. You said that BTC is the best coin and accordingly its popular. So, brands are emerging this way through quality and popularity.
RobertoMakeli

Activity: 61
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 09:17:42 AM

It's not just a brand, bitcoin is the first crypto currency in the world base on blockchain platform, when bitcoin price go up, it takes price of every altcoin will go up too. bitcoin is king of crypto currency. I believe its price wiil raising up higher in near future
chathun

Activity: 96

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 09:39:33 AM

In my opinion it is not brand.It is a future money. Smiley Smiley
giogio0504

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 02:57:17 PM

In my opinion it is not brand.It is a future money. Smiley Smiley

It could be brand and most popular exchange currency in the future at the same time. Cool
lesya-ya

Activity: 99
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 14, 2018, 06:11:56 PM

The debate may continue to rage over whether bitcoin is a viable alternative to the dollar or just another Ponzi scheme, but there's no denying of its ability to boost a brand's awareness. Roll Eyes
jancukiyah

Activity: 137

View Profile
January 14, 2018, 06:29:19 PM

No. Bitcoin has a big chance to exist like now. Bitcoin can be anything we want, like money, thing, and so on. The others cryptocurrencies can be exist like now just because bitcoin. Bitcoin as the first digital currency make the others cryptocurrencies have a name and success now. So bitcoin is not just a brand.

Contract Vault     Next Generation Agreements for Everyone on The Ethereum Blockchain
❱❱❱  JOIN TOKEN SALE  ❱❱❱  MAY 1st   [[ LIGHTPAPER ]]
▄▀ ██ ▀ ██ ██████    FACEBOOK       TWITTER       LINKEDIN       MEDIUM       TELEGRAM    ██████ ██ ▀ ██ ▀▄
jakeartuz

Activity: 49

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 07:09:05 PM

BITCOIN IS A CURRENCY INTERNET MONEY CRYPTOCURRENCY FUTURE DIGITAL MONEY
Aderiho Bitjones

Activity: 256
Merit: 105

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 07:16:00 PM

may be. As the bitcoin is the first coin that appeared a long time ago. She was not as popular as it is now. Therefore, against the background of other coins, bitcoin can be called a brand that sets the pace of growth.
savushkinTA

Activity: 192

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 07:59:52 PM

When you get down to it, the crypto that gets called BTC is not unaffected from any fork. In fact the dev team splinters away to work on two similar but different pieces of software, each roughly equally distant in similarity to the pre-fork coin.

If there was a fork of BTC that retained all transaction history and added no new major features, wouldn't that be the thing to call Bitcoin? We know that it doesn't work that way -- rather than being a particular software it's instead just a name.

Exchanges and the community at large have to agree on what crypto they're actually going to sell as BTC. The adherence to the original software, in market terms, becomes irrelevant. In fact the software in its entirety becomes irrelevant. The only thing keeping BTC king is the internal politics of the dev team and its splintering, and agreements reached with exchanges.

If the whales truly understood that, they wouldn't be so consistently bullish every time a community splinter comes around. The fact is that buying BTC is no longer participating in the adoption of an innovative digital currency, with actual principles of operation, it is just buying a hollow brand name whose power isn't determined by merit or similarity to the original software, but to insider politics, a cacophony of perpetual dealings between devs, exchanges and whales.

Am I completely off the mark here? Did I misunderstand how the latest hard forks work?
Mrsun78

Activity: 67

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 08:03:06 PM

Bitcoin is like the father of all currencies and as you said, its a brand anymore. all the people think that its not a cryptocurrency market but bitcoin market
CryptoBitCoins

Activity: 644
Merit: 120

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 08:27:23 PM

I think bitcoin is a great trend right now. Bitcoin was the first, it all started and so it is now much more popular than other crypto-currencies. Also, it seems to me that everyone is waiting for the last bitcoin to be produced and the price for it will skyrocket.
3gon

Activity: 17

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 08:38:44 PM

Bitcoin is not just a brand. By the way. I do not know what you mean by just brand but it is not right.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: