Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 11:07:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Closed] Bitfury miner group buy + hosting (with ESCROW)  (Read 37282 times)
flyswatta

Activity: 100
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 02:06:23 PM

After a quick look over of bitmessage, it's something that I would have to install and configure and check from time to time. It seems to me that we would want to have a communications medium that everyone already has....such as email. I don't need to set up yet another account and have to check yet another source (facebook, twitter, linkedin, email, forum posts and then add bitmessage  on top of that).

Just my BTC.02

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jlsminingcorp (OP)

Activity: 493
Merit: 500

Hooray for non-equilibrium thermodynamics!

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 02:31:14 PM

After a quick look over of bitmessage, it's something that I would have to install and configure and check from time to time. It seems to me that we would want to have a communications medium that everyone already has....such as email. I don't need to set up yet another account and have to check yet another source (facebook, twitter, linkedin, email, forum posts and then add bitmessage  on top of that).

Just my BTC.02

Thanks for your thoughts. Email is the obvious choice and, of course, is fine for us, but I appreciate that some people would like to protect their anonymity more than this. Ideally, we're looking for a single solution that everybody agrees on, which makes it easy for us to contact everybody at the same time. If this isn't possible, then we can use a couple (e.g. bitmessage + email) of approaches, but probably no more than this or it gets too unwieldy.

Bitcoin can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards.
BitFury ASIC miner hosted group buy [DONE MINING]
flyswatta

Activity: 100
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 02:35:28 PM

I would think that people that are worried about anonymity would have an anonymous email account and check it via TOR.
monkeynutts

Activity: 139
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 02:52:17 PM

im fine with regular email,

i have an email account i use for all online stuff anyways.
jlsminingcorp (OP)

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 03:05:15 PM

Exciting news from punin (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=250249.msg3306875#msg3306875). This "could" include our starter kit, but in any case we're getting close.

jlsminingcorp (OP)

View Profile
October 10, 2013, 03:57:27 PM

Good news, the bitburner fury is now in transit. Delivery estimate is Monday though Sad.

monkeynutts

View Profile
October 10, 2013, 04:26:54 PM

great news !

Stinky_Pete

Activity: 560

View Profile
October 10, 2013, 07:18:52 PM

Good to hear.

And going back a bit, email is fine for me.

jlsminingcorp (OP)

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 01:49:10 PM

Quick updates:

1) Bitfury burner: According to Fedex the package has now arrived in the UK. It looks like it's going to spend a lonely weekend in a Fedex warehouse though before we get it on Monday - don't they realise that time is of the essence Wink! Good progress anyway.

2) Bitfurystrikesback: Our starter kit order is now showing as "complete" on the BFSB site and they have generated a UPS shipping label for the package. This isn't with UPS yet though. It looks like this may also arrive next week.

So in terms of communication, we've got some group members who want to use email and some who want to use bitmessage. We're happy to do both (although I need to set up bitmessage this weekend). Please could group members who want to be contactable in case of forum downtime send us either an email address or bitmessage address (if you haven't done so already)? If you don't then we'll assume that you'll not panic if the forum goes dark and that you'll be happy with us just getting on with things in the background. Any group members who would like our email address please send a pm to request this.

Hopefully we'll be posting some un-boxing photos soon!

jlsminingcorp (OP)

View Profile
October 13, 2013, 11:24:09 AM

Delivery updates
According to fedex the bitfury burner has made its way over the last couple of days to a nearby town and so I think all is still on track for delivery tomorrow. Also, I've just checked the UPS tracking info for the starter kit and this is scheduled for delivery by Thursday 17th October. All looking good at the moment.

Since we'll be up and running soon please could you all have a final check of the list of payout addresses and number of shares for each component etc. in the OP and let us know if you see any problems ASAP

Payouts
Payouts will be made once per week, as described in the OP. This will probably happen on the weekend. We will be testing out our payout system with a small test payout when each new component arrives (as the list of group members with delivered components will change at this point and we want to make sure that all is working as it should). We'll post here when this is happening and we will need you to let us know ASAP if there are any problems that might affect the main payouts.

Pools, BTC address etc.
We're still planning to use Eligius and Bitminter and suggest "Horrible Horrendous Terrible Tremendous" as the third pool (~1% fees depending on share difficulty used, but no merged mining). The bitfury burner will be controlled using cgminer on a dedicated RPi and we'll start with Eligius as the primary pool with the other two as failovers. The BFSB kit will run bitfury's chainminer software, which uses load balancing across three pools rather than a failover mechanism, so all three pools will be used. Once the miners are running and we know that all is set up correctly we'll post the worker names and the BTC address that pool payouts will go to so that you can keep an eye on them in real time (if you're so inclined Wink).

Communication
We've only had a few email addresses from group members and no bitmessage addresses. If you want to be kept in the loop if the forum goes down again please pm these to us. It's been pointed out that there may be some issues with bitmessage in terms of resource usage and potentiall with security (e.g. https://bitmessage.org/forum/index.php?topic=1666.0). I don't know the protocol well enough to judge I'm afraid. Email would be our preference in any case, but we will use bitmessage too if group members want it.

That's all for now. Hopefully we'll have some unboxing pics to post tomorrow!

jlsminingcorp (OP)

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 10:09:40 PM

The bitburner fury has arrived! Some photos are below. I've spent quite a while today tuning the clock and voltage settings and we're currently hashing at around 49-50 GH/s in cgminer (275 MHz, 1075 mA, ~5% HW errors). The whole setup (pi + miner + a box of fans) is using 125 W at the wall (about 85 W for the fury itself). Pushing it any further just raises the % HW errors and power consumption, but doesn't have a big impact on hashrate (I've never seen above 51 GH/s), so on balance I think we're close to the sweet spot and we need to look at how it performs over a longer period now before trying to tweak any more. Obviously this is a long way from the 64 GH/s that Cryptx promised, so I'm expecting them to honour their 100 Euro "hashrate protection" refund.

We're currently mining on eligius and you can watch the miner by inputting the mining address (1568Cr5PQFy3JVhQnvajQkbYyinM4AcCFH) at the pool (bitminter and HHTT are the failover pools). Don't worry about the spikes in hashrate today, this is just a bunch of starts, restarts etc. while tuning. Fingers crossed the board stays stable overnight.

monkeynutts

View Profile
October 15, 2013, 01:01:30 PM

great news !

nice to see some hardware hitting the ground and actually mining. Now i just have to wait for my H board to arrive before i start earning.

jlsminingcorp (OP)

View Profile
October 15, 2013, 02:13:09 PM

great news !

nice to see some hardware hitting the ground and actually mining. Now i just have to wait for my H board to arrive before i start earning.

Hopefully this shouldn't be too long monkeynutts. Punin has just updated us all on the order queue (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=250249.msg3342107#msg3342107) and things are progressing nicely.

I've also just noticed that our group's component 2 (H-board #1) is now "completed" on the BFSB site and we've got a UPS tracking number (its not shipped yet, but the shipping label has been created). Sadly UPS seem to be frustratingly slow with their shipping. Our starter kit has only just left Finland after sitting in a warehouse in Helsinki for four days (maybe they were waiting for somebody to row over in a boat from the UK to come and pick it up Wink). I swear that these shipping companies introduce an artificial penalty and sit on your packages for as long as possible if you don't choose their most expensive rates Angry.

jlsminingcorp (OP)

View Profile
October 15, 2013, 06:12:33 PM

Hi All,

So for those of you who have been missing the opportunity to contribute towards bitfury kit for the GB since BFSB stopped taking orders we now have something new for you that allows us to open the GB again. Stinky_Pete has managed to secure (and pay for) 3 Drillbit boards from their first production batch (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=266235.0). He is willing to add this hardware to the group's miner, while keeping some shares back for himself. This will work in a similar way to how we included the bitfury burner in the GB. We will open a collection for a new component (component 8 - Drillbit boards) and collect share contributions for this until 20:00 BST on 29th October 2013. If there's not sufficient interest by this point then Stinky_Pete will run the miner privately outside the group (any shares contributed to the bitfury burner at this point will be transferred to future H-board collections or refunded depending on the wishes of the contributors).

Drillbit board details
* 3 boards with 8 chips per board --> combined hashrate estimate of ~60 GH/s
* Boards will be stacked in a mini plane backboard, which allows for efficient power connectivity and simple control (e.g. by an RPi)
* Shipping estimate: Drillbit anticipate that they will ship these in late October or early November
* Costs (paid 9.3 BTC for boards, 0.75 BTC for shipping, 20% import VAT will be due on entry to the UK, heatsink costs will be ~ 0.2 BTC)

Details
We propose to offer the drillbit boards as the next component in our group buy, based on 25 shares** (13 of which would be kept by Stinky_Pete) for the component (at 0.5 BTC per share) to the group in the same way as other components in this group buy, the only difference being that this component is already ordered and comes from a different supplier. The bitburner fury will become component 8 of the GB. All other terms and conditions set out in the OP will remain the same. In particular, please note that we will still distribute any mined BTC in the way stated in the OP: "BTC mined will be distributed to group members in proportion to the number of shares that they own and the number of coins mined by the miner (the miner is defined as all hardware components in this group buy that are actively mining) since the last payment.""Payments will only be made to group members who have shares in components that have been delivered. Payments will not be made to group members who have shares in components that have been ordered, but not delivered."

** We reserve the right to amend the maximum number of shares if there is a sudden, significant drop in the BTC price. This is to ensure that we are able to cover the fiat cost of the miner. If we have to do this then those who have already contributed shares will be given the opportunity for refunds.

I hope this is all clear. If you have any questions then please post here. I'll update the OP shortly.

jlsminingcorp (OP)

View Profile
October 15, 2013, 07:37:44 PM

Now collecting towards 3 drillbit boards from drillbit's batch 1 (~60 GH/s, late October early November delivery estimate). These have already been ordered and paid for. (Note: Orders from drillbit's batch 1 are currently sold out to new buyers.)

Now 12 / 25 shares remaining for this component

monkeynutts

View Profile
October 15, 2013, 08:55:54 PM

im in for a share on the drillbit system please.

ty.
jlsminingcorp (OP)

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 08:32:17 PM

Now collecting towards 3 drillbit boards from drillbit's batch 1 (~60 GH/s, late October early November delivery estimate). These have already been ordered and paid for. (Note: Orders from drillbit's batch 1 are currently sold out to new buyers.)

Now 11 / 25 shares remaining for this component

jlsminingcorp (OP)

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 08:06:34 PM

Hi All, I'm very pleased to say that the starter kit arrived safe and sound today. It's now hashing away nicely at 32-33 GH/s Grin. A big thankyou to Punin and all the team. Talk about "under promise, over deliver" - that's a 30 % hashrate increase (compared to the advertised 25 GH/s) out of the box without any manual tuning, pencil modding etc!

At the moment all of the hashpower is directed at eligius on the same address as the bitfury burner so you can follow its progress at (1568Cr5PQFy3JVhQnvajQkbYyinM4AcCFH). Once it's bedded in a bit I'll switch over to load-balanced mining on all of the three pools that I mentioned the previous post (eligius (using 1568Cr5PQFy3JVhQnvajQkbYyinM4AcCFH), bitminter and HHTT (using the same address 1568Cr5PQFy3JVhQnvajQkbYyinM4AcCFH)). This seems to be the only way to have some kind of failover capability using the chainminer software (it's a bit different to cgminer in that respect).

Just to let you know, before starting up the starter kit I made a note of the BTC balance and kWh that the bitfury burner had generated up to that point. This will be used for the first payment for those who contributed to the bitfury burner (I still plan to make this payment at the weekend - it's not a job for late at night). The "miner" is now defined as both hashing components, as described in the OP.

I'll try to post some photos shortly.

monkeynutts

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 08:31:45 PM

Great news

looking forwards to more to come in the future Smiley
jlsminingcorp (OP)

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 08:32:30 PM

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: