Bitcoin Forum
June 28, 2024, 03:29:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ... 76 »
  Print  
Author Topic: When do you know its time to sell your altcoins?  (Read 8119 times)
mikeey89

Activity: 129
Merit: 11

Blockchain enthusiast

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 10:35:41 AM

Just wondering if ya'll have a typical formula you go by or a certain X percentage profit or loss. 

I've been playing around with coins for just under a month now. $23750 total investment and currently up just under 10k in profit. One of the coins (IOTA) has gone up about 288%.  Obviously it would suck if it crashed but it would equally suck to sell if it continues to grow.

Just wondering what a lot of you folks do. I'm considering investing another 25 or 50k into coins. Ideally I'd like to net 15k a month off them but I know that may not be realistic on a monthly basis.
For me it really depends on the coin and how much it has gained value, but I always take out profits and leave maybe 10-30% depending on the project left in my portfolio.
eekkaa

Activity: 364
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 10:38:50 AM

Just wondering if ya'll have a typical formula you go by or a certain X percentage profit or loss. 

I've been playing around with coins for just under a month now. $23750 total investment and currently up just under 10k in profit. One of the coins (IOTA) has gone up about 288%.  Obviously it would suck if it crashed but it would equally suck to sell if it continues to grow.

Just wondering what a lot of you folks do. I'm considering investing another 25 or 50k into coins. Ideally I'd like to net 15k a month off them but I know that may not be realistic on a monthly basis.

I know when it's appropriate to sell my coin by looking at the profits that I already can and see the market conditions, if the market conditions are not too crowded and have started to gain weight then I will sell it.
ronaldo_oc

Activity: 127
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 10:46:27 AM

am concerned about my alt coin sell order that I placed for a profit getting filled when there actually is a price drop in $ amount.
Say I buy alt coin with bitcoin on Poloniex. I want to sell the alt coin when the alt coin price increases by 20% assuming bitcoin price has not fluctuated too much. So I put sell order that is 20% price higher than what I bought at.
However, since altcoins price are based off Bitcoin's price, isn't it possible Poloniex to indicate the alt coin price increased by 15~20% because of Bitcoin had a price crash? I'm afraid this will cause my sell order to go through because the price increase really happened because of price decrease of bitcoin and not increase of the coins.
kim_min888

Activity: 105

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 10:54:02 AM

irst, don't invest more than you can afford to lose and don't put all your eggs in one basket. It's tempting to put all of your investment/savings money into something you heard was a sure thing and make 10, 100, or even 1k times your money...but it's unlikely to work out that way.
Second, don't focus on just one thing. I know you see all these chart wizards calling the drops and rises and proffering knowledge of whales, pumpers and bots, but if you watch them talk long enough then you'll see that they're wrong almost as much as they are right. The first thing you should do before buying a coin is look into their community and make sure that devs and users are involved and responsive. Never invest in a dead coin, they're only used for pump n dumps and noobs should stay away from that racket.
Last, beware of FOMO. Never buy a coin just because it's rising unless you understand why it's rising. Is it news, or a new market, or just a pump? If you don't know, don't buy.
You may want to move to a smaller market like Bittrex for a while before getting involved with poloniex and their infamous troll box. There are some coins on Bittrex with very active communities like PIVX and ARK and AMP.
Palmerson

Activity: 434
Merit: 255

Live cams shows pimped with cryptocurrency

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 10:54:45 AM

I have a few towers. I find a coin that is at the bottom and makes a big profit in mining. I do stock these coins and wait. Once the pump is activated I sell these coins. It brings me a good profit. Sometimes there are gaps in this strategy, but I'm in no hurry. Perhaps the coin uses its potential in a few years.

▄▄██▄▄
       ▄▄███▀  ▀███▄▄
   ▄▄███▀▀  ▄▄▄▄  ▀▀███▄▄
▄██▀▀   ▄▄██▀▀██▄▄   ▀▀██▄
██▀  ▄▄██▀▀      ▀▀██▄▄  ▀██
██▄ ██▀              ▀██  ██
▀▀████▄▄▄             ██  ██
▄   ██▀▀▀████▄▄▄      ▀▀████
██  ██       ▀▀▀███▄▄▄     ▀
██  ██             ▀▀▀███▄▄▄
██  ██▄▄            ▄▄██ ▀██
██▄   ▀▀██▄      ▄██▀▀   ▄██
▀███▄    ▀██▄▄██▀    ▄███▀
    ▀▀██▄▄   ▀▀   ▄▄██▀▀
        ▀██▄▄  ▄▄██▀
           ▀▀██▀▀

♡   Live cams shows pimped with cryptocurrency   ♡
██Discord  |  Twitter  |  Medium  |  Youtube  |  Bitcointalk  |  Github██

▄▄██▄▄
       ▄▄███▀  ▀███▄▄
   ▄▄███▀▀  ▄▄▄▄  ▀▀███▄▄
▄██▀▀   ▄▄██▀▀██▄▄   ▀▀██▄
██▀  ▄▄██▀▀      ▀▀██▄▄  ▀██
██▄ ██▀              ▀██  ██
▀▀████▄▄▄             ██  ██
▄   ██▀▀▀████▄▄▄      ▀▀████
██  ██       ▀▀▀███▄▄▄     ▀
██  ██             ▀▀▀███▄▄▄
██  ██▄▄            ▄▄██ ▀██
██▄   ▀▀██▄      ▄██▀▀   ▄██
▀███▄    ▀██▄▄██▀    ▄███▀
    ▀▀██▄▄   ▀▀   ▄▄██▀▀
        ▀██▄▄  ▄▄██▀
           ▀▀██▀▀
Haneul

Activity: 133

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 10:56:44 AM

It only becomes a problem if you want to sell back to fiat. If you stay cool then dont sell back to fiat on a loss, then does it really matter? Just wait for your chosen coin to go back to profit.
I guess the question is are you into crypto, or are you into trading? If you are into crypto you dont care what USD does, its yesterdays value. If you are into trading, then you take profits or losses, I dont know.
Im into coins for years, no trading and 20x profit. I think there is more to come, no trading needed.
shams

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 11:00:29 AM

Most of the time when I buy Altcoins I plan to hold them for long term and do not sell them early but I also like to follow the news and all and I keep my eyes on the news and the development of those coins so If I see some news which I think is not good for that altcoin I try to sell that coin and plan to buy them later because when there are chances of an altcoin to go down 20 to 30% then what is the worth holding it it's better to sell and buy below when it goes down to 20% to 30% like this that altcoin will give me more profit in the future.
Xetonica

Activity: 706

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 12:34:54 PM

It is not easy to tell when we sell our altcoins because of the prices, that if we think this is not enough price that im going to sell my altcoins. If i see that i have 25% or higher from my investment i will sell it right away.
dzhan

Activity: 743

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 12:39:19 PM

Thats depending in the coins themselves, I study carefully my coins or tokens, and if I know that the coin is valuable and it have a potential to rise highly in the future I keep holding, even if the actual price is high. But if the coin haven't such potential, I sell whenever the price go up.
Mr Batman

Activity: 378
Merit: 10

EndChain - Complete Logistical Solution

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 12:41:53 PM

i sell my altcoin until my altcoin price goes up by 30% -50% of the price i buy, because it is the right time to sell my altcoin.

Cherylstar86

Activity: 1484
Merit: 253

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 04:29:23 PM

Thats depending in the coins themselves, I study carefully my coins or tokens, and if I know that the coin is valuable and it have a potential to rise highly in the future I keep holding, even if the actual price is high. But if the coin haven't such potential, I sell whenever the price go up.
You're right mate, each of us have our own prerogative opinion on how to deal such critical situations like to sell altcoins in the perfect time as you want. I would say to sell is not easy which you need to have exact informations the kind of altcoin you have. Also, the exact time to sell is when you are contented the calculated value you are wishing for since the value ia so fluctuating time to time that can changed its value unexpectedly.
sorrowfulnightcries

Activity: 144

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2018, 04:44:29 PM

I usually sell my atlcoins whenever it reached 100% profits also depending on the market activities and how the prices behaves for the previous months in relation to my expectation and financial needs. I don't want to be too greedy to risks present profit but I don't want to play safe either wasting possible chance for my investment to grow.

Bestfriendko

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 11:45:22 PM

There is only one appropriate time to sell your altcoins, it's when your precious altcoin has already gain profit. Not just plain profit, immense profit. Nobody sell their investments when it is currently at loss. What would you benefit from that? If it's experiencing a downfall the very best thing to do is hodl, as simple as that. Then wait.
oegarod

Activity: 602
Merit: 252

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 11:51:48 PM

This is the same strategy that majority of the users follow to make profit out of altcoins. Holding the potential token and selling the one with low market while it pump high is the best way. Other than this it's good to fix target and sell when the price reaches particular value.
xuan87
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 12:22:19 AM

The best way to know is to follow the market and watch the chart, it's important to see the transactions volume of the coin, usually I have a limit to know when to sell the coin but if the market still got a great potential to go up the I will just let my coin sit a little longer

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███████████████░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░██████████████████████░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░█████████████████████████░░░░
░░░░░░░░░█████████░░░░░░░░░░░████████░░░
░░░░░░░░███████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███████░░
░░░░░░░███████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████░░
░░░░░░░███████░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████░██████░
░░░░░░░██████░░░░░█░░░░░████████░██████░
░░░░░░░███████░░░███░░░████░░███░██████░
░░░░░░░███████░░██░██░████░░███░░█████░░
░░░░░░░░██████░░██░░█░███░░███░░██████░░
░░░░░░░░░███████░██░█░█░░░███░░██████░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░██████░███░░░███░░░█████░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░██░░████░░░░░░██░░░██████░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░████░░░░░██████░░░█████░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░███████░░░░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░█████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░███░░░█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░██████░░░███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░██████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
▂▂ ▃▃ ▅ ▆ ▇ █ TeraWATT █ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▃▃ ▂▂
Global LED Adoption Through Blockchain Technology
≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒『ICO IS LIVE』≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒
WEBSITE』『WHITEPAPER
≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒
TWITTER』『TELEGRAM
yrreg ger

Activity: 448

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 12:30:34 AM

It is pretty obvious that the right time to sell the hold altcoin is when the pumping / green in the exchanger. But we can't predict when is right time the only we need to do is become patient and avoid greediness to avoid losing. Like the others, I have strategies, I put my coin in exchanger and put in order to sell when the price I set is reach.
Daffadile

Activity: 1162
Merit: 500

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2018, 12:42:58 AM

You never really know. You can with skill and time learn what effects the price and predict up to a point but you can't tell how far it will go up or down. That is why you set a tolerance and stick to it. If the price looks good to you and the total value you will get in $ or btc is a lot to you then sell. Rather sell at a price you know is good then risk potentially losing lots of value.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.YoBit AirDrop $.|.Get 700 YoDollars for Free!.🏆
Crislyn4116

Activity: 336

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 01:02:11 AM

In trading no one can predict the accurate candle sticks i know when i will sell my altcoins because i will be studying the basic technique on how i will predict the pump and dump of a coin. I am a short term trader in just 1 hour i gain profit from 1 trade and i trade in crypto and stocks.

▀   ▀▀   ▀▀▀   ▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄          E X C H A S E   |   S I G N    U P          ▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀   ▀▀▀   ▀▀   ▀
▄▄▄▄▄                 All-in-One FinTech Ecosystem                 ▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄     [   FACEBOOK   ] [    TWITTER    ] [   TELEGRAM   ]     ▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀
Chanock

Activity: 476
Merit: 102

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 01:13:19 AM
Last edit: January 31, 2018, 01:33:01 AM by Chanock

I think your assumption is unrealistic because your investing to much money into coins. Just remember this rule in buy an sell of coin, don't be greedy. Because the result of being greedy is earning huge lost of money. Notice that trading cannot predict anyone and the only way to gain huge profit in trading is exchange your money in ideal time. Okay, buying coin is good, once you monitor timely and closely you you r trading platform in that way you can earn money on the coin that you buy and sell. Now day trading is popular and i think this is the ideal time to sell altcoin or instead its up to you because your the only person know your trading time.
wtd93

Activity: 31

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2018, 01:29:05 AM

It all depends on your personal investment goals. If you have a longer outlook it may make more sense to hold and wait for a 10x-50x altcoin rise, however if you have less time or are not as risky you may want to set your limit sell orders at 1.5-2x cost. It is also smart to set stop loss orders if you cannot afford to lose more than a certain amount. These investments are volatile and move around quite a bit on a daily basis. Good luck!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ... 76 »
  Print  

Jump to: