Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 09:17:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Project Evil Genius – Custom SHA2-256 Circuits on a FPGA  (Read 12286 times)
DoctorDoom (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 16, 2013, 05:44:58 PM
Last edit: September 16, 2016, 03:57:24 AM by DoctorDoom

e

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
goxed
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1006

Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.

View Profile
July 16, 2013, 05:55:39 PM

I will use this thread to update my progress. I will update every once in a while to let people know my progress and how well the circuits are preforming. 

I will be creating custom digital circuits of a SHA2-256 Double Hashers for Bitcoin mining. I have already started on the first stage. The project will be written in Verilog. I chose Verilog, because it has better controls at the gate level than VHDL. I will not be using any C code for the hashing circuits. However I might use C code for the registers and connections to the computer, IE USB plug, and set-up data.

Looking at the Open Source FPGA code, I believe I can make a really good improvement over the Open Source code, which is converted C. I have vast experience in digital design and I have worked on many ASIC projects. However, I have not worked on a FPGA before, but I have worked alongside FPGA programmers to know the major problems that affect FPGAs.

To get more info on my background, go here:
http://www.cryptoextractor.com/crypto/author.html

Depending on the results, three things will happen. If I get really great results, then I would probably make some boards and sell them. If I get good results, I will probably buy old FPGA boards and reprogram them, and mine with them. I might sell some of the re-programmed boards. The last would be if I got OK results. Then I would just release the code as Open Source.

why don't you try developing scrypt mining for LTC for opensource community. There's avery high demand for it IMO.

Revewing Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.
Milan77

Activity: 202
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 16, 2013, 06:04:39 PM

I will use this thread to update my progress. I will update every once in a while to let people know my progress and how well the circuits are preforming. 

I will be creating custom digital circuits of a SHA2-256 Double Hashers for Bitcoin mining. I have already started on the first stage. The project will be written in Verilog. I chose Verilog, because it has better controls at the gate level than VHDL. I will not be using any C code for the hashing circuits. However I might use C code for the registers and connections to the computer, IE USB plug, and set-up data.

Looking at the Open Source FPGA code, I believe I can make a really good improvement over the Open Source code, which is converted C. I have vast experience in digital design and I have worked on many ASIC projects. However, I have not worked on a FPGA before, but I have worked alongside FPGA programmers to know the major problems that affect FPGAs.

Depending on the results, three things will happen. If I get really great results, then I would probably make some boards and sell them. If I get good results, I will probably buy old FPGA boards and reprogram them, and mine with them. I might sell some of the re-programmed boards. The last would be if I got OK results. Then I would just release the code as Open Source.

why don't you try developing scrypt mining for LTC for opensource community. There's avery high demand for it IMO.

+100
joeventura

Activity: 854
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 16, 2013, 07:11:31 PM

What would you define as "really great results"?

Milan77

View Profile
July 16, 2013, 09:48:49 PM

Maybe a good idea will also be implenmentig salted SHA1 algo for Nokia SL3 unlocking by bruteforce method.
Kuroth

Activity: 196

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2013, 10:44:30 PM

Watching...

fpgaminer

Activity: 560
Merit: 517

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2013, 11:37:26 PM

Looking at the Open Source FPGA code, [...], which is converted C.
You mean https://github.com/fpgaminer/Open-Source-FPGA-Bitcoin-Miner?  That's not converted C.

Zalfrin

Activity: 401
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 08:41:47 PM

Looking at the Open Source FPGA code, [...], which is converted C.
You mean https://github.com/fpgaminer/Open-Source-FPGA-Bitcoin-Miner?  That's not converted C.

I originally didn’t know that code was converted C or not. I had assumptions that it was converted C, and asked in the past in different threads when I talked about this project. Then I talked to people from this forum, and all of them told me that it was converted C. So I believe it was converted C. I am sorry for calling it Converted C.

It's pretty obvious it's not converted C code, if you are talking about an automated C-to-HDL program. Those spit out garbage code. The Open Source code is human-readable - therefore not machine generated. Wink

Good luck. Personally I doubt there is much performance left on the table by the open source code, but please prove us wrong. Smiley
goxed
Legendary

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 09:01:02 PM

Maybe a good idea will also be implenmentig salted SHA1 algo for Nokia SL3 unlocking by bruteforce method.

Any URL listing the problem? It looks interesting.

Milan77

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 10:14:16 PM

Yes, with pleasure:

http://hashcat.net/wiki/doku.php?id=cracking_sl3

It is pretty good explained.

It is little modified salted SHA1 algo and should be around 5 times faster than algo used for BTC.
For sure it is possible to implement on FPGA. But there is a lot of pro guys with already done solution, not willing to share their work.

Atom (admin and creator of Hashcat and OCLHashcat) is great guy and very skillful programmer, he did a LOT of optimization on crypto algos, maybe he could do even more if someone gets his attention.
fpgaminer

Activity: 560
Merit: 517

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2013, 01:25:33 AM

I still believe I can make a big performance jump over the code. I will try to get down to the gate level as much as possible and use all the logic there. I have even been looking through the specs and schematics to see how the slices work on the Spartan-6.
It's a lot of fun down there!  It's a shame the Spartan 6 architecture is so limited.  I suggest you take a look at the 7-series FPGAs, like the Kintex or Artix.  The architecture is nicer, and performance is much higher.  For example, I was able to implement a miner using the DSP48E1s on a Kintex.

Also, have you looked at bitfury's code?  He has the most performant code for Spartan-6 LX150 chips, and I would be shocked if anyone beat his record (in MH/s) on that chip.  It's optimized down at the slice level and manually placed.  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=228677.msg2417706#msg2417706

Unfortunately, or fortunately (depending on how you look at it), FPGA's will never beat ASICs in terms of performance per dollar, or performance per Watt.  So FPGA mining is a curiosity and plan-B sort of thing now.

For sure it is possible to implement on FPGA.
I coded up a quick SL3 cracker about a year ago.  It either ran on my Spartan 6 devkit, or the X6500, I can't recall.  I could probably dump the code to github if people are interested.  I didn't optimize it particularly well, just got it working.

Milan77

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 08:38:39 AM

For sure it is possible to implement on FPGA.
I coded up a quick SL3 cracker about a year ago.  It either ran on my Spartan 6 devkit, or the X6500, I can't recall.  I could probably dump the code to github if people are interested.  I didn't optimize it particularly well, just got it working.

FPGAMINER

Getting SL3 unlock to FPGA miners would give them new life. I do not have much of them but they will be more universal if someone keeps them running SL3.

Also I am not rich, but willing to support job with some BTCs.
turtle83

Activity: 322

Supersonic

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2013, 09:54:11 AM

Also, have you looked at bitfury's code?  He has the most performant code for Spartan-6 LX150 chips, and I would be shocked if anyone beat his record (in MH/s) on that chip.  It's optimized down at the slice level and manually placed.  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=228677.msg2417706#msg2417706

Is there a compiled bitstream compatible with ztex out there?

polarhei

Activity: 462

Firing it up

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 10:14:37 AM

Memory is problem. He will
Milan77

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 05:30:16 PM

Great, keep going!
Magnate

Activity: 88
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 11:27:48 PM

If this does work you should be able to get twice the engines into one FPGA. There is money in this as there are plenty of FPGAs out there and I'm sure ppl would love to double thier hash rate!!
sveetsnelda

Activity: 642
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 11:37:13 PM

I'd also be very interested in a git, and I'd certainly throw a tip your direction.

14u2rp4AqFtN5jkwK944nn741FnfF714m7
BBQKorv

Activity: 280

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 02:03:40 AM

Only if you were here a year ago, now this is a bit late if not obsolete very soon. I'm hoping the best and I'm very interested to see how well you manage to do with this project.
southerngentuk

Activity: 1316
Merit: 252

Sugars.zone | DatingFi - Earn for Posting

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 12:28:00 PM

Watching, good luck with this.  Grin

SUGAR
██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
▄████████████████████████▄
███████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀███████
█████▀██████▀▀██████▀█████
██████████████████████████
█████████████████████▄████
████████▄████████▄████████
▀████████████████████████▀
▀▀████████████████████▀▀

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
███████████████████████████
██████               ██████
██████   ▄████▀      ██████
██████▄▄▄███▀   ▄█   ██████
██████████▀   ▄███   ██████
████████▀   ▄█████▄▄▄██████
██████▀   ▄███████▀▀▀██████
██████   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   ██████
██████               ██████
Backed By
ZetaChain

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
████████████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
██████ ▄▀██████████  ███████
███████▄▀▄▀██████  █████████
█████████▄▀▄▀██  ███████████
███████████▄▀▄ █████████████
███████████  ▄▀▄▀███████████
█████████  ████▄▀▄▀█████████
███████  ████████▄▀ ████████
████████████████████████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
goxed
Legendary

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 01:15:44 PM

I had a great night last night for the Evil Genius project. I got my first pre-design partially working in software. The size of the SHA-256 circuit was reduced by 0.52 to 0.37 (not giving out the exact size reduction). The next step is I am going to build a full software implementation in an OpenCL Kernel. I don’t believe the performance of the Kernel will be better than anything out there, because I cannot increase the GPUs hardware and GPUs are not specifically built for SHA-256. It is more of a proof of concept thing. Also, I will still be able to pipeline the work with the smaller design. So every clock cycle, you will get data. After the full implementation, I will see if I can patent the design method. The circuit has 64 stages for one hash, so 128 stages for the double hash.

This is just the first pre-design. I still have some other things I want to try out. But this is very promising. I was very excited last night. I cannot wait to start trying some other things out to see how far I can push the SHA-256 circuit.  

Edit: It should be reduce ‘to’ 0.52-0.37, instead of ‘by’. I am cutting myself short  Smiley. So now the circuit is basically half the size or smaller, so the performance increase will be 2x or more.

May I ask did you obtain the size reduction on a HDL module or was it something else?

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: