Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 07:10:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Avalon Store Batch 3 Status just went to "Refund Processing" - now "Completed"  (Read 19724 times)
martinm

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 01:15:56 PM

Yes, it is a simple way to view the situation.

There is a story in Texas that a Ranger asked a man, in broken Spanish, if he had a horse.  The man said no, and the Ranger shot him dead as a liar and a criminal.  It turns out that the man was innocent and had answered truthfully.  There is still bad feeling along the border about this incident.  In Spanish, there are two words;  the analogy that carries into English is asking a man if he has a bull, and then shooting him because he has a cow and answered "no."

Nice story, unfortunately it does not apply here.

cow --- to test equipment that has not been verified to work and has not been assigned an owner, for 24 hours under realistic conditions, then proceed to assign and ship it.
bull --- to run equipment that has passed QC and assigned to a customer for the sole purpose of gaining BTC.
moth --- to ship unreliable equipment that may catch fire.

You buy a new product from an manufacturer. As long it's not declared as used, you can expect that the manufacturer only checks the product for functionality, short term QC Test of single components and the assembled product. For long time tests the manufacturer has to take a sample from an batch or a prototype, that sample has to be tested under hard conditions. This will prove if that product/the design and the manufacturing process fulfills the quality standards. This samples will not be sold to any customer, the manufacturer will keep it. The product the customer gets is new, it was checked for functionality, but not used . You will have warranty for this product from the manufacturer. That means even if "QC" is passed, and the product get broken related to an problem during manufacturing, the manufacturer has to replace the product.

But let's take a look how the world would look like if companies would do their "QC" like BitSyncom. Your new car would come with 3000 miles on the meter, but it's still new and just tested. That car was used to transport the employees of the manufacturer to work and back home, for what the company should invest in gasoline just for testing, it would be a wast of resource. Some cars come with 40000 miles on the meter, they were used for the long term "QC". The navigation system has still the route from the employees home to their factory in memory. Your new computer will now be shipped with World of Warcraft pre-installed. That computer was carefully tested. Therefore the manufacturer hired some guys to farm gold in MMORPG's for weeks. These manufacturers really care about you and the environment. They want to deliver a carefully tested product and use resources in an efficient way to protect the environment.
Raize
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1419
Merit: 1015

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 06:07:33 PM

While we're on the topic of lying, they also stated trade-ins would be first, but those who did trade-ins have been waiting, most with over 3 months in lost Icarus mining revenue. (Approximately 3.5 BTC per device)
btcsql

Activity: 292
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 12:45:21 AM

has anyone else received a Batch 3 refund except the one documented case above
SolarSilver
Legendary

Activity: 1112
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 01:53:35 AM

which documented case? The only one I saw was somebody who received a transaction from
somebody else and confused it for a refund
mem

Activity: 644
Merit: 501

Herp Derp PTY LTD

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 01:59:53 AM

The issues:

* Avalon stated the would not premine, would not mine with clients equipment and would test (burnin) on testnet.  

Unfortunately this turned out to be a blatant lie.

see here for further details.

* Avalon claimed numerous delays, sabotage, yifu not getting enough beauty sleep and supply issues.  

Turned out many of the orders being delivered had a thick layer of dust in them while others had none. This indicates the dust filled machines have been running for some time (dust accumulates inside PC cases when fans are running). So the delays were also bullshit.

* More delays, piss poor communication and a touch of bitchiness from Yifu soured opinions and faith in Avalon to the current point.

Surprise, Yifu's good will ran out so he turns into another BFL_Josh.

* Avalon offered refunds for batch #3 clients (thanks for the interest free loan suckers).

But unfortunately it seems unless you filled in a specific google doc  not mentioned in any of the support requests clients have logged before an arbitrary deadline your refund will be refused.

* Avalon stated that trade-in customers would be specially treated compare with batch#2 customers in April's newsletter.

Reality is, yes, they were treated specially, but, specially delayed more than even batch#3 customers.

* Avalon also stated trade-ins would be first (citation needed)

But those who did trade-ins have been waiting, most with over 3 months in lost Icarus mining revenue. (Approximately 3.5 BTC per device)
[/quote]

Added the point about the icarus trade ins.

ftping

Activity: 183
Merit: 100

200 OK

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 02:31:45 AM

which documented case? The only one I saw was somebody who received a transaction from

Anenome5. He attached screenshots of the transaction for proof. See earlier in this thread. So far, he's the only one who has received a refund. My assumption is that he got it so quickly because he happened to fill out the form RIGHT when Yifu sent out the newsletter. Yifu was probably still around/online, and therefore able to send it out quickly.

As always, pure speculation
Anenome5

Activity: 252

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 03:14:47 AM

Nah dude. That's a fresh receiving address I created for the refund, thus the label on it, that's been used with no one else and was public nowhere previously. It could not have been anyone but Bitsyncom. Nor was I expecting any other transactions. It was for the amount paid for a 4-unit in total. If random people are just sending out 101+BTC to non-public addresses that's news to me.

Edit: He must mean jspielberg who thought he got a partial refund but confused it with other traffic. That can't have been the case with me however.

Democracy is the original 51% attack.
Anenome5

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 03:19:43 AM

Anenome5. He attached screenshots of the transaction for proof. See earlier in this thread. So far, he's the only one who has received a refund. My assumption is that he got it so quickly because he happened to fill out the form RIGHT when Yifu sent out the newsletter. Yifu was probably still around/online, and therefore able to send it out quickly.

As always, pure speculation
Quite possibly. I read the email, contemplated the numbers, and decided to do it. I also had all the information quickly and easily available to me, finding it didn't take long. Still boggles me that I'm the only confirmed refund. I'm thinking they started doing refunds then got flooded with way more requests than expected and something 'came up' which demanded attention. Some communication from them on what's going on would be huge. Why can't these companies seriously spend 5 minutes at the end of the day to type up a 1 paragraph status update. I would do that daily if I were them.

Anenome5

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 03:23:58 AM

Edit -- Update for status:
Anemome5 Anenome5 - submitted a refund request early and received a full payout
                - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=257748.msg2750933#msg2750933
jspielbe - partial refund hit validated by blockchain 7/18 no refund transfer yet (edit for unrelated BTC transfer not from Bitsyncom)
No other known refunds yet.
Just want to point out for the sake of anyone trying to do a thread search that you've misspelled my pseudonym, two-N's, one M.

SolarSilver
Legendary

Activity: 1112
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 06:13:25 AM

Edit: He must mean jspielberg who thought he got a partial refund but confused it with other traffic. That can't have been the case with me however.

Yes, jspielberg is what I referred too.

It's very odd you got your refund in 4 installments.

Like they have to scrounge for coins from different wallets

Running low on BTC? :-)
Anenome5

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 06:17:45 AM

It's not really that odd if you know how a bitcoin tx works, and if you look at the times it was actually done in two installments apparently. There was a 30 min time gap between first and the last ones, but the last three were simultaneous, meaning they came from a wallet that split into 3 payments because it was emptying sub-addresses and the like within an existing wallet, change, etc. Not that unusual at all. The 30 minute time gap after the first is a bit unusual perhaps. I don't know if it's very likely that that would happen automatically from a single transaction.

Also they could've just bought the bitcoin on an exchange, coming from multiple sellers essentially, and sent it to me from there, dunno.

dyseac

Activity: 90
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 06:48:23 AM

Is it worth considering a Class action against Bitsyncom in the USA ? It would be fucking awesome to convict Yuffie of several accounts of fraud.   Grin
jspielberg (OP)

Activity: 490
Merit: 255

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 01:27:31 PM

It's not really that odd if you know how a bitcoin tx works, and if you look at the times it was actually done in two installments apparently. There was a 30 min time gap between first and the last ones, but the last three were simultaneous, meaning they came from a wallet that split into 3 payments because it was emptying sub-addresses and the like within an existing wallet, change, etc. Not that unusual at all. The 30 minute time gap after the first is a bit unusual perhaps. I don't know if it's very likely that that would happen automatically from a single transaction.

Also they could've just bought the bitcoin on an exchange, coming from multiple sellers essentially, and sent it to me from there, dunno.

Anenome5 - I have updated your handle in the OP.

Buying from the exchanges is an interesting thought.  There has been some upward pricing pressure lately.  I would guess they have between 2,000 to 5,000 BTC to refund.
aceat64

Activity: 307
Merit: 102

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 03:25:47 PM

It has been just under a month since I submitted a refund request via their ticketing system (I also used the google docs form). No updates on the ticket and my order is still "refund processing".

I hope they finish processing it soon, I've got plans for those bitcoins.
jspielberg (OP)

Activity: 490
Merit: 255

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 05:47:40 PM

Don't we all... Actually I need the btc price to go a little higher first, but timely refunds would  still be appreciated.
cmdbill

Activity: 67
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 06:23:42 PM

There is no cake.
btcsql

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 06:36:09 PM

I also had plans for those BTC... which are a whopping $7,000 today. C'mon Yifu, we gotta eat bro!
batman, not crabman

Activity: 131

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 10:48:21 AM

There is no cake.

THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!

A horse walks into a bar and the barman says "Give me some Bitcoin!"
17TDYWdeL3GU2fsMSpV7itLYS2UJ91dCDx
ftping

Activity: 183

200 OK

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 11:06:03 AM

There is no cake.

THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!
Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test.

I think I'm going to need both of those if I have to keep waiting for my refund...
btcsql

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 02:19:29 PM

Bump. Yifu, please send my refund thanks. This is a lot of money for me and most people and we would like you to make good on your promise.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: