Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 08:20:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 [93] 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 ... 166 »
  Print  
Author Topic: MasterCoin: New Protocol Layer Starting From “The Exodus Address”  (Read 448419 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
jawnzer

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 09:00:29 PM

FYI here is the full 1.2 spec on J.R's repository:

https://github.com/dacoinminster/spec

Was just going to read 0.5, glad I caught this before I did.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ripper234
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1003

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2013, 09:05:53 PM

Mastercoin is on slashdot!

http://slashdot.org/firehose.pl?op=view&type=submission&id=3108443

I'll reply to other things later.

Please do not pm me, use ron@bitcoin.org.il instead
Mastercoin Executive Director
Co-founder of the Israeli Bitcoin Association
W2014

Activity: 205
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 09:14:06 PM

1) Has any thought been given to selling a small % of BTC for USD to lock in some of the gains we've made in the development funds and hedge against the risk BTC crashes?
Lock in gains!?  lol that is funny.  You don't 'lock in gains' - you lock out future value.  Don't do this idiot move.  Only take this step on the day you no longer believe in bitcoin's future.  Right now, I'd have to say we are all a bit bullish on bTC

Hedging is actually not idiotic at all. It is in fact what most large organizations do if they have currency or interest rate risks with respect to their accounts payable. That's why the OTC derivative market is so huge. It is certainly not 'idiotic' to think about it and have a plan for it given how volatile BTC is. Let me give you an example. Let say BTC reaches $1000 in 3 months and then crashes to $200 in month 4. Lets say the Board plans to spend X amount of BTC or USD in the next 12 months. That X amount is being spent regardless in the next 12 months. It is not being held long term as an investment - so one's view on the long term future of BTC is irrelevant. Hedging a certain amount of the outgoing funds would mean the Foundation would have sufficient funds available regardless of any crash in the price of BTC. Again, we are spending a certain % of the funds regardless, not holding it all as a long term investment.

VIAZ   ►   First Major Decentralized Peer-to-Peer Funding Platform on Tezos   ◄
WEBSITE | BOUNTY CAMPAIGN | WHITEPAPER | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TELEGRAM
sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1005

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 09:16:00 PM

1) Has any thought been given to selling a small % of BTC for USD to lock in some of the gains we've made in the development funds and hedge against the risk BTC crashes?
Lock in gains!?  lol that is funny.  You don't 'lock in gains' - you lock out future value.  Don't do this idiot move.  Only take this step on the day you no longer believe in bitcoin's future.  Right now, I'd have to say we are all a bit bullish on bTC

Hedging is actually not idiotic at all. It is in fact what most large organizations do if they have currency or interest rate risks with respect to their accounts payable. That's why the OTC derivative market is so huge. It is certainly not 'idiotic' to think about it and have a plan for it given how volatile BTC is. Let me give you an example. Let say BTC reaches $1000 in 3 months and then crashes to $200 in month 4. Lets say the Board plans to spend X amount of BTC or USD in the next 12 months. That X amount is being spent regardless in the next 12 months. It is not being held long term as an investment - so one's view on the long term future of BTC is irrelevant. Hedging would mean the Foundation would have sufficient funds available regardless of any crash in the price of BTC. Again, we are spending a certain % of the funds regardless, not holding it all as a long term investment.

You dont hedge as a trading strategy you hedge to make your balance sheet deterministic.
W2014

Activity: 205
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 09:25:15 PM

Hedging is actually not idiotic at all. It is in fact what most large organizations do if they have currency or interest rate risks with respect to their accounts payable. That's why the OTC derivative market is so huge. It is certainly not 'idiotic' to think about it and have a plan for it given how volatile BTC is. Let me give you an example. Let say BTC reaches $1000 in 3 months and then crashes to $200 in month 4. Lets say the Board plans to spend X amount of BTC or USD in the next 12 months. That X amount is being spent regardless in the next 12 months. It is not being held long term as an investment - so one's view on the long term future of BTC is irrelevant. Hedging would mean the Foundation would have sufficient funds available regardless of any crash in the price of BTC. Again, we are spending a certain % of the funds regardless, not holding it all as a long term investment.

You dont hedge as a trading strategy you hedge to make your balance sheet deterministic.

Yes. If you have expenses in a certain currency and hold funds in another currency.

And I'm just throwing some thoughts out there for consideration; not suggesting I have the answer or that there is a 'correct' answer. I hope my other points on the security of the funds are not lost in a discussion of the use of hedging.

VIAZ   ►   First Major Decentralized Peer-to-Peer Funding Platform on Tezos   ◄
WEBSITE | BOUNTY CAMPAIGN | WHITEPAPER | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TELEGRAM
dacoinminster (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1031

Rational Exuberance

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2013, 09:33:54 PM

Notice of proposed expenditure (sort of):

The board has decided to give Ron Gross $10000 in discretionary funds so that he can spend money with a bit less friction. All money he spends will still be publicly itemized. I've added a new column for that money in our public ledger: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtCyUJvk_IyNdGpVcnpBN2tOczFmbVRnck5TWjZuRFE&usp=sharing#gid=0

Also, there will be a new column for offline paper-wallet storage once the board gets me all the addresses we will be using for that. Those addresses will be public, and anybody will be able to check their balance at any time.

rbdrbd

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 11:21:01 PM

Notice of proposed expenditure (sort of):

The board has decided to give Ron Gross $10000 in discretionary funds so that he can spend money with a bit less friction. All money he spends will still be publicly itemized. I've added a new column for that money in our public ledger: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtCyUJvk_IyNdGpVcnpBN2tOczFmbVRnck5TWjZuRFE&usp=sharing#gid=0

Also, there will be a new column for offline paper-wallet storage once the board gets me all the addresses we will be using for that. Those addresses will be public, and anybody will be able to check their balance at any time.

Thanks for the note about the offline storage, that's great.

From your spreadsheet, it also clicked with me just now that $10,000 is only 30 BTC. Man...I remember trading 30BTC like it was not that big a deal just even this past summer...how times have changed.
rbdrbd

Activity: 462

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 11:24:55 PM

From what I can tell, technically this is not "on" slashdot yet (i.e. still awaiting editorial approval).

Please, everyone go to that link and (once logged in with your slashdot account) click on the plus icon to the left of the title to vote it up. Hopefully they will pick it up and publish it!

Ron, you may want to note that in your reddit post about this as well, let's mod it up and turn the topic 'red' and hopefully it will have the best chance to actually run.

More info on the firehose submission process here: http://news.slashdot.org/story/07/08/02/1719238/introducing-the-slashdot-firehose
ripper234
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1003

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2013, 05:06:48 AM

What's wrong with the Google Docs? If you can make a spec for what's needed for the website I can ask around with some developer friends if they are interested. I would do it myself but I already have a todo list that only increases in size... Wink

Google Docs are fine for limited scale.
We're accelerating.

I don't have time to make a proper spec.

The idea: Manage higher scale, more expenditures, nicer UI, tracking, admin section to allow us to officially enter expenditures (which then become public), tags, ...

FYI this is not just for us.

Read about DACs, and soon David's whitepaper about AAs (it's not published yet).
Let's use the term AA here.

We are in fact an AA with the purpose of building AAs. We are not just a financial system.
We will grow out of this and share our infrastructure with anyone wanting to build AAs.

This budget component in itself will eventually serve many, many AAs. It's a huge project.
(Everything we're doing is a huge project).

That last part sounds good and I understand your reasons for the first part. I was just thinking, given that we aren't there yet, and with Willett's note that someone attempted to clickbait him a few days ago, it would be a shame to lose a big chunk of a big chunk of money. Something where a quick sane standard  (i.e. for anyone holding foundation money must either use armory offline wallet, or keep it as a totally cold/paper wallet) would go a long way. You could be open about the general technique(s) you were using at that kind of a high level to secure the funds among the foundation members (or whoever) to give confidence to the community, without having to go into details about who, what, where, etc.

Just seen too many stories of people losing tons of BTC to thieves in the last few months... would hate to see that happen here. That's all.

A standard is good, however it can't enforce armory.
Some people that will be holding funds haven't used armory, and don't have to learn / buy a machine strong enough to run it.

Please know that we'll all be using cold wallets for this purpose, just every one has his own implementation of cold wallet.

A standard is good to develop anyway. It's just that it might take a while until we adhere to the standard.

A few questions regarding the Mastercoin funds:

1) Has any thought been given to selling a small % of BTC for USD to lock in some of the gains we've made in the development funds and hedge against the risk BTC crashes? For example, let's say we have a huge run up next week and 1 BTC = $500. Or if BTC reaches $1000 in the next several months? In the latter example, would it make sense to sell 1000 BTC and put $1 million USD in the Mastercoin Foundations' bank account. I don't believe the board should engage in trading the funds on a regular basis at all, but a "one off" sale of some small % of BTC for fiat as a hedge might be something worthy of discussion.

Excellent questions!

I would NOT support selling any BTC right now, or perhaps ever.
1. We don't have a decentralized way of representing or storing USD, and I won't support risking our funds on a centralized entity like bank or exchange.
2. I'm uber bullish about BTC and think we'll be at $1000 a pop within a few month.
This will bring us to around 4-5 million dollars in the fund.
I won't risk missing out on that.

2) Similarly, has any thought been given to paying bounties denominated in anything other than BTC or in some sort of hybrid that hedges the payment such as a combination of BTC/MSC/USD? Or is that too confusing? It seems to make sense to reward the developers with some MCS, to increase their incentive to work.

Payouts are paid in whatever currency is required (or perhaps we just pay BTC and let the receiver convert, Willett remind me?

3) If the funds are being distributed amongst board members what precautions/considerations are being made for/against (i) a rogue board member misappropriating funds, (ii)  death or incapacity of a board member and (iii) security of funds? In the case of (i) is it possible to require two or more board members to access fund in storage? In the case of (ii) it is important that more than one person has access to the private keys (private keys should be in safety deposit boxes or some other secure place accessible by the board in case a board member dies).

i. Rouge - nothing. Will go to multisig and eventually direct community control, and then we won't have any definition of "rouge".
ii. Death - each board member holding funds will have his own mechanism for dealing with death. I'm not sure we'll specify more details as this is quite personal.
iii. Security - we discussed this above.

The direction is multisig we just don't have time to implement it ...
We won't do Shamir Secret Sharing in the meantime, I'd rather just speed up to multisig which is what you're describing.

4) In the case of BTC, will all of the public addresses holding the funds be published so that MSC holders can periodically view the balance of funds?

Yeah, addresses be published. This will also be a part of the Budget site above - now it's easy to track as there's only one or a few number of addresses. This will change and become very complicated soon. One feature suggestion - "subscribe to expenditures" that will email you whenever we make an expenditure.

5) Has any thought been given to appointing a Treasurer of the Mastercoin Foundation funds, to oversee all of the above, and report to the board and MSC holders? This person should be separate from both JR and RG imo.

We won't trust anyone external at this point.
Maybe an Auditor Smiley
But instead of appointing an auditor, let someone build the Budget/Funds site so you can all audit.

(FYI we're also looking for a security auditor).

From what I can tell, technically this is not "on" slashdot yet (i.e. still awaiting editorial approval).

Please, everyone go to that link and (once logged in with your slashdot account) click on the plus icon to the left of the title to vote it up. Hopefully they will pick it up and publish it!

Ron, you may want to note that in your reddit post about this as well, let's mod it up and turn the topic 'red' and hopefully it will have the best chance to actually run.

More info on the firehose submission process here: http://news.slashdot.org/story/07/08/02/1719238/introducing-the-slashdot-firehose

Hmm, I didn't know this is how things happen, but it sure explains the lack of comments on the thread Smiley
Where are all you guys and why aren't you commenting?

Please post whatever on my reddit and get people to do it, I have a million things to do.
I think I'll sadly need to start spending less and less time on this thread Sad

I might need a secretary soon lol.

Please do not pm me, use ron@bitcoin.org.il instead
Mastercoin Executive Director
Co-founder of the Israeli Bitcoin Association
ninjaboon
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2013, 05:52:49 AM

click on the plus icon to the left of the title to vote it up. - Done!

keystroke

Activity: 900
Merit: 1014

advocate of a cryptographic attack on the globe

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 05:54:14 AM

Are MasterCoin being traded for 0.1695 as shown on buymastercoin.com?

"The difference between a castle and a prison is only a question of who holds the keys."
hmmmstrange

Activity: 669
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 06:16:53 AM

Are MasterCoin being traded for 0.1695 as shown on buymastercoin.com?

They seem to be selling few at that price, mostly 1 msc at a time.
FTWbitcoinFTW

Activity: 476

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 06:20:14 AM

Here is the sale : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=287145.0

Order book : https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ApGPLGUd5ZCzdHFxbnhHQjBDSDVKamY5UHlWdkNMNWc&usp=sharing#gid=0

Last trade is 0.15

Lost coins only make everyone else's coins worth slightly more. Think of it as a donation to everyone.
it has lots of buttery taste..
keystroke

Activity: 900
Merit: 1014

advocate of a cryptographic attack on the globe

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 06:31:17 AM

Thanks guys! Smiley

"The difference between a castle and a prison is only a question of who holds the keys."
jquinn

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 02:17:16 PM

I'm sorry if this question has already been posted, but this issue caused some confusion last night when I was buying some MSC.

The person I was buying from sent BTC to the Exodus address on August 31st, a few hours before midnight. The white paper says that, "Anyone sending bitcoins to the Exodus Address before August 31st, 2013 is recognized by the protocol as owning 100x that number of MasterCoins." Is there any way to get clarification from JR or one of the developers on what the exact deadline was? The transaction showed up as valid on mastercoin-explorer, but it still has me worried. I'd like to be able to check everything manually for now. Thanks.
Tachikoma

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2013, 02:20:27 PM

It was decided that block 255365 was the last block that counts, everything before or in this block counts.

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks | Bytesized Seedboxes BTC/LTC supported
Voodah

Activity: 266

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 06:24:57 PM

I'm sorry if this question has already been posted, but this issue caused some confusion last night when I was buying some MSC.

The person I was buying from sent BTC to the Exodus address on August 31st, a few hours before midnight. The white paper says that, "Anyone sending bitcoins to the Exodus Address before August 31st, 2013 is recognized by the protocol as owning 100x that number of MasterCoins." Is there any way to get clarification from JR or one of the developers on what the exact deadline was? The transaction showed up as valid on mastercoin-explorer, but it still has me worried. I'd like to be able to check everything manually for now. Thanks.

Maybe someone has to correct me here, but I think if he's one of the original investors, you should see the MSC at his (original) address using the mastercoin explorer:

http://mastercoin-explorer.com/

dacoinminster (OP)
Legendary

Rational Exuberance

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2013, 08:27:34 PM

As I mentioned earlier, we're giving Ron $10k in discretionary funds to use in his role as Executive Director. (Everything he spends that money on will still be posted publicly in the spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtCyUJvk_IyNdGpVcnpBN2tOczFmbVRnck5TWjZuRFE#gid=0)

Ron sent me this address via PM: 1KsChrMq2kg9cNNxDh51N6bK4r2fQA3KtG

I hope to do the outstanding payments in that spreadsheet soon.

dacoinminster (OP)
Legendary

Rational Exuberance

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2013, 09:22:58 PM

First set of cold-storage addresses for project funds:

J.R.,

I have setup ten addresses for cold storage for the portion that you want me to secure.

We will use ten offline cold storage addresses that have never touched the internet for ultimate security. Each one has been seeded with a small amount of Bitcoin to verify.  Please send the funds to these addresses (divided equally):

1NmoXmhRornn9A1qdXAyKiQzepTQYC1S9A
1Cz2g5qKXxDTBcDc8EvKRHT5tLdeUr3d7v
1G1RkvYx6VMFryK2tyKN75vVAkweuoeYQN
1MS1rNw31nVLUe8PiHSD4BDSnkipaXNxeW
1CqQT7bcxijnBX8Zyzan9adnY325KBtLsT
1HLin2VqAiVAVwWEbn3mLUKnWtwTjicDry
1JtcwDDEY9Sxv1ykRbW9PCjc9J6yWk2hji
1G5PWah7dPYjSNZFRxP4TiZRhSWBRiQWeV
1HvFNLtLvR8fdaGoAyDhs1L5pQN6PfHhng
1PRTNiK2YYgFejRSX1sJfDhBA4wC3DBYQA

You can view the balance at any time by using these links:
http://blockchain.info/address/1NmoXmhRornn9A1qdXAyKiQzepTQYC1S9A
http://blockchain.info/address/1Cz2g5qKXxDTBcDc8EvKRHT5tLdeUr3d7v
http://blockchain.info/address/1G1RkvYx6VMFryK2tyKN75vVAkweuoeYQN
http://blockchain.info/address/1MS1rNw31nVLUe8PiHSD4BDSnkipaXNxeW
http://blockchain.info/address/1CqQT7bcxijnBX8Zyzan9adnY325KBtLsT
http://blockchain.info/address/1HLin2VqAiVAVwWEbn3mLUKnWtwTjicDry
http://blockchain.info/address/1JtcwDDEY9Sxv1ykRbW9PCjc9J6yWk2hji
http://blockchain.info/address/1G5PWah7dPYjSNZFRxP4TiZRhSWBRiQWeV
http://blockchain.info/address/1HvFNLtLvR8fdaGoAyDhs1L5pQN6PfHhng
http://blockchain.info/address/1PRTNiK2YYgFejRSX1sJfDhBA4wC3DBYQA

All coins are already stored offline. This is just moving some of them even MORE offline (paper wallets). I plan to split 1000BTC among these ten addresses (100 BTC each address). More addresses will be posted soon once people get them to me.

The board knows the identity of everyone entrusted with these funds, and if any of this money ever disappears, we'll let you know who was in charge of it.

Thanks

FTWbitcoinFTW

Activity: 476

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 09:34:14 PM

If you use Shamir's secret no money will never disappears...

A good exemple : http://passguardian.com/

Ps :i'm not for using this site or a other but multi sign address is possible since the beginning of bitcoin, it's a shame it's not use more often.
It would save many bitcoin from scam or "lost" bitcoin

Lost coins only make everyone else's coins worth slightly more. Think of it as a donation to everyone.
it has lots of buttery taste..
Pages: « 1 ... 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 [93] 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 ... 166 »
  Print  

Jump to: