Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 10:47:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Comparison of Marijuana-themed Coins  (Read 770 times)
t3hpwnographer (OP)

Activity: 196
Merit: 11

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2017, 12:23:33 PM
Last edit: April 13, 2018, 05:15:31 PM by t3hpwnographer
Merited by bill gator (1)

With marijuana popping up in the news so often and California's recent legalization, there have been a few big spikes in almost every coin with a weed-related theme. The problem is that not all of these coins actually have ties to the marijuana industry and are just trying to capitalize on the name. I put together this list to help everyone see the difference between each coin. My goal is to help investors make informed decisions backed by facts and real world relationships. For this list I will only be covering coins listed on CoinMarketCap. I'm also not counting "we want to be the top crypto for cannabis" as a tie to the industry, since almost every single coin says that. If I missed something let me know!

Please note that at this point I have had no direct contact with any of the developers regarding the status of their project(s). All of the information in this post is based off of what I could find on their websites and social media accounts. Percentage changes shown below are calculated weekly and are not meant to be viewed as completely up-to-date numbers; they're included to give a quick idea of recent performance.

Total Market Cap (16 coins)
$82,942,122  (▲ 9%)

Top 5 Market Cap
1. PotCoin (POT) - $28.0 mil (▲ 10%)
2. HempCoin (THC) - $19.0 mil (▲ 37%)
3. Paragon (PRG) - $14.3 mil (▲ 2%)
4. Token (TKS) - $7.3 mil (- 0%)
5. DopeCoin (DOPE) - $7.2 mil (▼ 13%)

(Updated at 17:45 UTC on April 13, 2018)
Most recent weekly update: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2658296.msg34627663#msg34627663

Active Development = Technological updates or business-related advancements have been made by the development team within the past 3 months
Potentially Active Development = No updates or advancements have been made in the past 3 months but there is reason to believe an update may be coming
No Active Development = No updates or advancements have been made in the past 3 months

(Listed in order of release date, oldest -> newest)

Potcoin (POT)
  • Active Development
  • Announced: January 21, 2014
  • Last update: February 8, 2018
  • Ties to marijuana industry: Partnered with WeedMD, a Canadian medical marijuana producer. Sent NBA star Dennis Rodman on a promotional "humanitarian mission" to Guam, Japan, and China. Accepted as payment by Grizzly Seed Bank.

DopeCoin (DOPE)
  • Active Development
  • Announced: February 15, 2014
  • Last update: February 11, 2018
  • Ties to marijuana industry: Developing Smoke Exchange, an advertising platform for marijuana-related businesses, and Crypto Billings, a payment gateway to allow websites to accept crypto. Also working on being accepted by dispensaries.

HempCoin (THC)
  • Active Development
  • Announced: March 7, 2014
  • Last update: January 26, 2018
  • Ties to marijuana industry: Member of the Hemp Industries Association. Developing HempPAY, which appears to be a system for dispensaries to accept THC in-store judging by the graphics they've released.

Cannacoin (CCN)
  • No Active Development
  • Announced: March 28, 2014
  • Last update: January 14, 2017
  • Ties to marijuana industry: None. At one point it appeared they were setting up various web-based uses for their coin, including a smoke shop and a video chatting service. However most of the links found in their ANN thread appear to be dead.

Bongger (BGR)
  • Potentially Active Development (see here)
  • Announced: June 1, 2014
  • Last update: Nothing since release
  • Ties to marijuana industry: None. The dev stated that this coin was started to learn more about crypto, the marijuana theme was simply added for taste.

Sativacoin (STV)
  • Active Development
  • Announced: September 21, 2014 (takeover occurred on November 26, 2014, then a new thread was launched on September 24, 2016)
  • Last update: December 26, 2017
  • Ties to marijuana industry: Accepted as a payment method on the dev's marijuana-themed clothing site, topshelftoker.com

CannabisCoin (CANN)
  • Potentially Active Development (tweeted on Christmas Eve that updates would be coming soon)
  • Announced: October 19, 2014
  • Last update: June 13, 2017
  • Ties to marijuana industry: None. Intended to be used at dispensaries where 1 CANN = 1 gram of "Canndy," their own strain of medical marijuana.

HempCoin (HMP)
  • No Active Development
  • Announced: June 24, 2015
  • Last update: January 7, 2016
  • Ties to marijuana industry: Appears to be owned by a company that engages in medical marijuana business, Rocky Mountain Ayre Inc. Their idea was that 10 HempCoins = 1 share in their company.

Tokes (TKS - WAVES token)

KushCoin (KUSH)
  • No Active Development
  • Announced: January 25, 2017
  • Last update: March 4, 2017
  • Ties to marijuana industry: None. The roadmap in their ANN states that they intend to partner with seed producers and dispensaries.

BlazerCoin (BLAZR)
  • No Active Development
  • Announced: April 4, 2017
  • Last update: April 20, 2017
  • Ties to marijuana industry: None. Was accepted in a seed sale that was met with mixed experiences.

Cannation (CNNC)
  • No Active Development
  • Announced: April 12, 2017
  • Last update: May 12, 2017
  • Ties to marijuana industry: None.

Growers International (GRWI)
  • Active Development
  • Announced: April 21, 2017
  • Last update: January 16, 2018
  • Ties to marijuana industry: Sells growing-related items through their website. Intends to offer numerous blockchain tools for legal growers, including seed-to-sale tracking and strain depository. Accepted on Austrian-based head shop Donau Life.

Marijuanacoin (MAR)
  • Not Active Development (might be taken over by community)
  • Announced: May 22, 2017
  • Last update: June 26, 2017
  • Ties to marijuana industry: None. The roadmap in their ANN thread says that in Q4 2017 they were going to start a crowdfunding campaign to fund their own grow facility and come out with merchant tools for dispensaries, but neither one of these updates appear to be in progress.

Paragon (PRG - ETH token)
  • Active Development WARNING: ICO Class Action Lawsuit
  • Announced: August 15, 2017
  • Last update: December 5, 2017
  • Ties to marijuana industry: Claims they will be opening an office building in Los Angeles, California that will rent space to legal cannabis businesses. Rent will only be payable with PRG.

GanjaCoin (MRJA)
  • Active Development
  • Announced: September 2, 2017
  • Last update: February 7, 2018
  • Ties to marijuana industry: Being developed by warehouse growers that say they plan to open their own dispensary (update: they say they will be applying for a license to open a legal marijuana shop in Massachusetts, USA). Also, after paying a $50 fee to become a "VIP," their website states you can exchange 1 GanjaCoin for 1 seed.

On the Radar (Active coins/tokens that have not yet been listed on CoinMarketCap)
GreenMed (GRMD), Perkscoin (PCT), Budbo (BUBO), Agro Tech Farm (ATF), MotaCoin (MOTA)
Current update schedule: Weekly (Friday)

Like my work? Want more frequent updates? Want me to do another comparison thread for a different theme?
Donate BTC here: 1KnN9eSFPRfXs515JhCqWGM19prjLx4M3q
Donate ETH/ERC20 here: 0x01C4f0955c36A1C5E13B083A592Ae67FAc964e6e
Don't forget to +Merit Grin

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
t3hpwnographer (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2017, 11:24:19 PM
Last edit: January 26, 2018, 03:59:34 PM by t3hpwnographer

Reserved for future plans
CryptoBlocker

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 05:27:16 PM

Grabbing a few of each, Canada legalizes this summer and over half US states allow medical marijuana.
t3hpwnographer (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2018, 12:21:19 PM

Grabbing a few of each
Glad to see a bit of interest in these coins but the purpose of the list is to show that not all of them are worth picking up Wink A few of them have actual ties to the industry that should allow them to grow, while others are only related in name. Unfortunately it seems like most investors don't look further than the name so a couple non-active coins with no real connections to the industry have been pumped a few times.
svojoe
Legendary

Activity: 968
Merit: 1000

einc.io

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 12:27:29 PM

To be honest I hate this trend and I think that such kind of projects cast a shadow over the whole crypto market so I just cant support any of them.

t3hpwnographer (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2018, 03:59:43 PM
Last edit: January 06, 2018, 12:41:44 AM by t3hpwnographer

To be honest I hate this trend and I think that such kind of projects cast a shadow over the whole crypto market so I just cant support any of them.
I'd be interested to hear why you feel that way. Is it because of how you feel about marijuana itself, or do you just see these coins as redundant since there might be better options out there?
t3hpwnographer (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2018, 06:15:34 PM
Last edit: January 06, 2018, 04:19:24 AM by t3hpwnographer

Weekly Update

Top 5 changes: CANN moves +1 to #3, DOPE moves -1 to #4

Development changes: CCN downgraded from Potentially Active to Not Active after dev didn't follow through with a proposed January 1st update.

The days leading up to the new year were very eventful for marijuana coins. Multiple coins were frequently top gainers on Bittrex and other major exchanges. Less than a week in to 2018 there are gainers and losers in the top 5. THC, CANN, and TKS have all leveled out higher than where they were last Friday. POT and DOPE both suffered a slight decline. Of course this is just after the initial rush, it will be interesting to see what happens once California starts reporting revenue and various projects continue to develop.

Also I've added the total market cap for all 15 coins listed here. Interestingly, a single coin with that market cap would currently be at #104 overall on CoinMarketCap (below Enjin Coin, above Triggers).
eternalgloom
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1283

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2018, 08:56:35 PM

Great work putting this topic together OP, you've clearly put a lot of work into this and the information presented is very useful to have in one place.

How so? I think there are some really interesting coins listed here, I'm glad that some of them actually have ties to the legal marijuana industry instead of just being a proof of concept.
Or are you just against marijuana in general, legal or not?

cryptobobo

Activity: 210
Merit: 10

The P2P Marketplace For Digital Content

View Profile
January 05, 2018, 09:02:48 PM

I invested in THC,CANN,DOPE,and POT and they give me decent amount of profits i hope the family will grow bigger in the future.

dodgrad

Activity: 1067
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 05, 2018, 09:31:01 PM

I think at Hempcoin have now nice opportunity to buy in. Soon (on 31 january) they promise make a hardfork and few little updates like conference with show new projects partners and new whitepappe

.7 BTC  WELCOME BONUS!..
███████████████████████████
██████████▀▀▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▀▀██████
█████████▄██████ ████ ▀████
██████▀▀ ▄▄▄▄ ▀▀███▀▄██ ███
████▀   ██████   ▀██████ ██
███ ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄ ██▄▄▄ ██
██ █████▀    ▀█████ ████ ██
██  ▀██        ███▀ ███ ███
██   ▄██▄    ▄██▄   █▀▄████
███ ▄████████████▄ ████████
████▄▀███▀▀▀▀███▀▄█████████
██████▄▄      ▄▄███████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████▄█████▄█▄███▄█▄██████████▄██▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████▀████▄████▀██████████████████████████▄█████▄██▄█████▄████▄████▄████▄████████
█████████████████▐█████▌███████████▄█████▀███▀▀████████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀██████▀▀███▀▀███████████
██████████████▄████▀████▄██████████████████▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████
████████████████▀█▀███▀█▀██████████▀███████▀█████████▀█████▀██▀█████▀███████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████▀▀  ▐█▌  ▀▀████████
██████▄     ▐█▌     ▄██████
████ ▀██▄▄███████▄▄██▀ ████
███    ██▀▀  ▄  ▀▀██    ███
██    ██   ▄███▄   ██    ██
████████  ███████  ████████
██    ██  ▀▀ █ ▀▀  ██    ██
███    ██▄▄ ▀▀▀ ▄▄██    ███
████ ▄██▀▀██████▀▀▀██▄ ████
██████▀     ▐█▌     ▀██████
████████▄▄  ▐█▌  ▄▄████████
.30+  ALTCOINS AVAILABLE..
sean.maley

Activity: 85

Machine Learning & AI - Trustless Ledger System

View Profile
January 05, 2018, 09:46:33 PM

I wonder why won't you support? what is wrong with Marijuana? it is one of the most beautiful gift of the mother nature. as it has to be under control of the lobbies of course they make it illegal and make you guys think that is a bad thing by using all kind of social progrraming.

t3hpwnographer (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2018, 06:09:49 PM

Great work putting this topic together OP, you've clearly put a lot of work into this and the information presented is very useful to have in one place.
Thanks for the kind words, I was a bit worried this list was just going to immediately fall into obscurity so I'm glad someone appreciates it! Grin

Regardless of attention though I do plan to keep updating on a weekly basis. I find it fun and very helpful for my own investment choices.
RoffoSnake

Activity: 84

View Profile
January 06, 2018, 06:16:16 PM

I like the PotCoin, I'm thinking of buying some of them.
nakauten

Activity: 210

View Profile
January 06, 2018, 06:47:05 PM

Great post,ive been holding the marijuana family coin,so far it gave me a decent amount of profit gains planning to add more btc to support these group of coin.

t3hpwnographer (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2018, 03:05:41 AM
Last edit: January 12, 2018, 06:13:32 PM by t3hpwnographer

Just added Paragon, an ETH token that currently holds the #3 spot for market cap. Total market cap adjusted tonight, further updates will take place on Friday as scheduled.

Total market cap change: Up 31%
Draguny

Activity: 18

View Profile
January 11, 2018, 03:06:49 AM

anyone thinks this type of coins rly can go somewhere?
TheCryptoChaser

Activity: 154
Merit: 25

View Profile
January 11, 2018, 03:13:28 AM

I guess, I'm going to buy some POT coins for sure.
t3hpwnographer (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2018, 03:16:30 AM

anyone thinks this type of coins rly can go somewhere?
Absolutely. As detailed above, a few of these coins are developing partnerships and creating projects that will allow them to grow right alongside the legal cannabis industry. They're becoming spendable faster than even some of the overall top 10 coins.

But yes, some of them are shitcoins that will never amount to anything, just like 99% of altcoins in general.
t3hpwnographer (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2018, 06:06:42 PM

Weekly Update

Total market cap change: Down 15% (since January 10, 2018)

Top 5 changes: DOPE moves +1 to #4, CANN moves -1 to #5

Development changes: None.

When the market bleeds, marijuana coins bleed right along with it. Most of these coins saw their value go down right along with BTC's dip as many would expect. Tokes became the center of much speculation which resulted in enough gain to offset the losses and level out nearly 50% higher than where it had been the week before.

Project news updates will come later tonight.
coingrow

Activity: 364
Merit: 102

View Profile
January 12, 2018, 06:08:52 PM

Thanks for providing the great overview about cannabis based coins. I truly believe that since the legalization of recreational marijuana in California, more US states will follow and the value of Cannabis based Coins will definitely increase.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: