Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 09:11:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What is your opinion of the Maximum role of Government in society?
Absolute: Government should control all services and prices. - 5 (5.3%)
Moderate: the Government should control some services, and not others (explain) - 30 (31.6%)
Minimal: The Government should limit itself to courts and military. - 32 (33.7%)
None: All services and goods should be provided privately (or collectively). - 28 (29.5%)
Total Voters: 94

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Maximum role of Government?  (Read 28703 times)
ascent

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 05:04:20 AM

Ever hear of survival of the fittest?

That long line would get pretty short, mighty fast.

As long as there are humans, and there is a vacuum of power, something will move to fill it.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
myrkul (OP)

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2011, 05:10:26 AM

Ever hear of survival of the fittest?

That long line would get pretty short, mighty fast.

As long as there are humans, and there is a vacuum of power, something will move to fill it.

And as long as there are people willing to try and take things from people by force, there will be job security for ammunition companies.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
ascent

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 05:15:47 AM

Only the part of me that you know.  You can't know all.  Can you regulate the tunnel people in NYC's abandoned train tunnels?  Can you regulate the Appalation hillbillly making meth in the woods?  I think that you overestimate your capacities as a government.

If a couple slip through the cracks or fly under the radar, so what? As an example, Bitcoins are pretty much flying under the radar right now, but barely. And so the government isn't actually doing anything. But let Bitcoins become the backbone of the economy, and they won't be flying under the radar anymore. Likewise, if everyone becomes an Appalachian hillbilly, then they aren't flying under the radar anymore, but instead are mainstream society, in which case, the means to tax will evolve to handle it.

Again, you and I both know I'm not saying such a police state is desirable. I'm just explaining how things can work. And all those strange methods of taxation I proposed? If tyranny fails, then a new government could form that is very polite, yet still persuasive. It will become the new normal.
ascent

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 05:17:19 AM

And as long as there are people willing to try and take things from people by force, there will be job security for ammunition companies.

Seriously, so what? All of you guys are pounding the table how the government is taking money from you by force through taxation right now. All a bunch of talk.
myrkul (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2011, 05:21:03 AM

If tyranny fails, then a new government could form that is very polite, yet still persuasive. It will become the new normal.

As long as it isn't backed up with force, you're welcome to knock on my door and offer me services.

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
myrkul (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2011, 05:23:24 AM

Seriously, so what? All of you guys are pounding the table how the government is taking money from you by force through taxation right now. All a bunch of talk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKlWGZHEO7Q

cpunks

Activity: 40

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 12:07:52 PM

I picked "none", but what I really mean, is that "privately" should include the possibility of providing services collectively...

...just as long as one is not establishing a monopoly, especially a territorial monopoly on passing regulations for others to follow, especially one backed by a threat of violence.

Voluntary collectivism, neat. Voluntary monopolies? Sounds unlikely, but if it floats someone's boat... involuntary anything, down with it.
david4dev

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2011, 12:15:09 PM

None of the above.

Instead, public control of public services through a mixture of localised government owned democracies and privately owned cooperatives.
myrkul (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2011, 04:49:21 PM

I picked "none", but what I really mean, is that "privately" should include the possibility of providing services collectively...

...just as long as one is not establishing a monopoly, especially a territorial monopoly on passing regulations for others to follow, especially one backed by a threat of violence.

Voluntary collectivism, neat. Voluntary monopolies? Sounds unlikely, but if it floats someone's boat... involuntary anything, down with it.

"Private" does include collectively, as long as it's voluntary.

None of the above.

Instead, public control of public services through a mixture of localised government owned democracies and privately owned cooperatives.
Sounds a lot like "Moderate", but could you elaborate more? Maybe I'll add an option to the poll.

AyeYo

Activity: 154
Merit: 103

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 05:11:15 PM

"Government bad! Free market good! rabble rabble rabble"

How did I know that's where this thread would end up?

Enjoying the dose of reality or getting a laugh out of my posts? Feel free to toss me a penny or two, everyone else seems to be doing it! 1Kn8NqvbCC83zpvBsKMtu4sjso5PjrQEu1
myrkul (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2011, 06:06:15 PM

"Government bad! Free market good! rabble rabble rabble"

How did I know that's where this thread would end up?

You start one, then.

Grant

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 06:18:50 PM

I voted the last option, however i have a multiple-choice position.

In my view both Moderate, Minimal and None could coexist simultanously. I think they (the government options) should be freely available just like utitlities companies, insurance companies and telecom providers are.

This essentially means there is no government over those private-enterprise governments. And you decide how much protection you need, and what quality you desire, just like you do when you choose your ISP.
NghtRppr

Activity: 504
Merit: 252

Elder Crypto God

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2011, 06:24:24 PM

private-enterprise governments

Those aren't state governments which is what we're talking about. I'm not against "government" in the chess club or any other private organizations.
myrkul (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2011, 06:32:48 PM

In my view both Moderate, Minimal and None could coexist simultanously. I think they (the government options) should be freely available just like utitlities companies, insurance companies and telecom providers are.

What you're talking about is Anarchy, because a government is defined by it's method of revenue collection: through taxation (ie, mugging). If you can choose to not pay a government for its services, it's not a government, it's a private service agency.

AyeYo

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 06:36:33 PM

What you're talking about is Anarchy, because a government is defined by it's method of revenue collection: through taxation (ie, mugging). If you can choose to not pay a government for its services, it's not a government, it's a private service agency.

Obviously you've never heard of government options existing along side private options.  Have you ever heard of the USPS?  You can choose to use them OR you can choose to use UPS, FedEx, etc.

Enjoying the dose of reality or getting a laugh out of my posts? Feel free to toss me a penny or two, everyone else seems to be doing it! 1Kn8NqvbCC83zpvBsKMtu4sjso5PjrQEu1
myrkul (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2011, 06:45:32 PM

Obviously you've never heard of government options existing along side private options.  Have you ever heard of the USPS?  You can choose to use them OR you can choose to use UPS, FedEx, etc.

Uh huh. Try sending first class mail via FedEx.

Grant

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 06:56:10 PM

I prefer the term private-governments. (i feel its more marketable brand for anarchy) Wink
AyeYo

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 07:09:54 PM

Uh huh. Try sending first class mail via FedEx.

That's like saying, try to buy a Camry from Ford.  First Class mail is a USPS trademark name.  When you tell me what you're actually trying to say, I'll give you a link so that you can send it via FedEx.

myrkul (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2011, 07:10:22 PM

I prefer the term private-governments. (i feel its more marketable brand for anarchy) Wink

An even better term is Phyle.

Hawker
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 07:14:58 PM

I went with moderate.

For any society to exist, it needs some kind of defence, border control, courts and police.  Otherwise, you will have unlimited immigration and criminality.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 »
  Print  

Jump to: