Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:57:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What is your opinion of the Maximum role of Government in society?
Absolute: Government should control all services and prices. - 5 (5.3%)
Moderate: the Government should control some services, and not others (explain) - 30 (31.6%)
Minimal: The Government should limit itself to courts and military. - 32 (33.7%)
None: All services and goods should be provided privately (or collectively). - 28 (29.5%)
Total Voters: 94

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Maximum role of Government?  (Read 28703 times)
AyeYo

Activity: 154
Merit: 103

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 08:30:56 PM

Know how I know you're 12 years old?

Enjoying the dose of reality or getting a laugh out of my posts? Feel free to toss me a penny or two, everyone else seems to be doing it! 1Kn8NqvbCC83zpvBsKMtu4sjso5PjrQEu1
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
JA37

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 08:31:58 PM

Then you're better off swimming.

Still waiting on your argument as to why murder is wrong. You said before you could prove it. Time to do so.

Really? I can endanger everyone and you won't do anything to prevent it until you're royally screwed? Please justify how you think this is right.

Ponzi me: http://fxnet.bitlex.org/?ref=588
Thanks to the anonymous person who doubled my BTC wealth by sending 0.02 BTC to: 1BSGbFq4G8r3uckpdeQMhP55ScCJwbvNnG
myrkul (OP)

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2011, 08:34:06 PM

I've told you once, I don't want to have to tell you again, troll elsewhere.

Now, if you're willing to have an intellectual discussion, please justify why murder is wrong so that I can properly frame my response as to why coercion is wrong.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
JA37

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 08:41:25 PM

Now, if you're willing to have an intellectual discussion, please justify why murder is wrong so that I can properly frame my response as to why coercion is wrong.

I would like an answer to my question if you don't mind. 

Thanks to the anonymous person who doubled my BTC wealth by sending 0.02 BTC to: 1BSGbFq4G8r3uckpdeQMhP55ScCJwbvNnG
AyeYo

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 08:45:49 PM

You mean you want me to make an argument for why murder is bad so that you can attack my murder argument while ignoring the defense of your own claim from many pages ago?  No thanks.

Enjoying the dose of reality or getting a laugh out of my posts? Feel free to toss me a penny or two, everyone else seems to be doing it! 1Kn8NqvbCC83zpvBsKMtu4sjso5PjrQEu1
myrkul (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2011, 08:49:04 PM

You mean you want me to make an argument for why murder is bad so that you can attack my murder argument while ignoring the defense of your own claim from many pages ago?  No thanks.

If either one of you will give me a moral framework within which to work, I will gladly explain to you why coercion is wrong. I will not attack any argument you make because I agree, murder is wrong. I would like to see why you think so, however.

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
AyeYo

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 08:49:58 PM

Just defend your statement and stop deflecting.

myrkul (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2011, 08:50:51 PM

Just defend your statement and stop deflecting.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying.

JA37

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 08:54:40 PM

You mean you want me to make an argument for why murder is bad so that you can attack my murder argument while ignoring the defense of your own claim from many pages ago?  No thanks.

If either one of you will give me a moral framework within which to work, I will gladly explain to you why coercion is wrong. I will not attack any argument you make because I agree, murder is wrong. I would like to see why you think so, however.

I agree that coercion is wrong most of the time. But not all of the time. Which I think my example proves. Somewhere there's a balance between what you should coerce people to do or don't do, and what you shouldn't. I can't define that line, and it does change, but I believe it's there.

Now, please explain to me why coercion is always wrong. Why can't I force someone to stop putting my life at risk?

myrkul (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2011, 09:01:45 PM

Now, please explain to me why coercion is always wrong. Why can't I force someone to stop putting my life at risk?

Coercion is always wrong because if violates the non-aggression principle.

I should note here that 'putting your life at risk' is not the same thing as 'threatening your life'

The juggler is putting your life at risk, but if he is skilled enough will not kill you, or him.

The man with the ax is threatening your life.

JA37

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 09:07:58 PM

Coercion is always wrong because if violates the non-aggression principle.

I should note here that 'putting your life at risk' is not the same thing as 'threatening your life'

The juggler is putting your life at risk, but if he is skilled enough will not kill you, or him.

The man with the ax is threatening your life.

Violates the NAP? Ok then, here's your answer to why murder is wrong: "Murder is wrong because it says so in the bible. ". It's a non-answer too.

Agreed, he's putting my life at risk. He might be willing to take that risk, but why should I have to?

myrkul (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2011, 09:11:22 PM

Violates the NAP? Ok then, here's your answer to why murder is wrong: "Murder is wrong because it says so in the bible. ". It's a non-answer too.

This is why I asked you to define why murder is wrong, first. So that I could put it into terms you would accept.

JA37

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 09:13:45 PM

This is why I asked you to define why murder is wrong, first. So that I could put it into terms you would accept.
I've never claimed to be able to define why murder is wrong. Haven't thought enough about it. It's an intuitive thing for me. I might get back to you though. But claiming that something is right because it follows rules that you yourself defined clearly isn't a good answer.

myrkul (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2011, 09:17:52 PM

I've never claimed to be able to define why murder is wrong. Haven't thought enough about it. It's an intuitive thing for me. I might get back to you though. But claiming that something is right because it follows rules that you yourself defined clearly isn't a good answer.

Well, you asked for a definition, and there it is. I could go into further detail but that would be simply defining the NAP, which has been done to death elsewhere.

As to your question about the juggler, You didn't have to get on that lifeboat. Back at the ship, there were plenty others. For that matter, you didn't have to get on the ship in the first place. You could have stayed home.

JA37

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 09:22:08 PM

Well, you asked for a definition, and there it is. I could go into further detail but that would be simply defining the NAP, which has been done to death elsewhere.

As to your question about the juggler, You didn't have to get on that lifeboat. Back at the ship, there were plenty others. For that matter, you didn't have to get on the ship in the first place. You could have stayed home.

So it's wrong because I say so? Is that your definition? Then you shouldn't have a problem with our current society, because what's being done to you is "right because we said so".

So I'm supposed to be able to predict the future to avoid having people put me in unnecessary risk? That guy is forcing me to take a risk I'm not willing to take, but that isn't a violation of the NAP, or is it?

NghtRppr

Activity: 504
Merit: 252

Elder Crypto God

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2011, 09:26:15 PM

Or what if he's a juggler that decides to practice knife juggling in your life raft. You can't coerce him to stop, right?

Right.

Once you allow that someones fear of risky behavior permits coercion then any form of tyranny can be justified. There's no stopping point. If teenage males are more likely to commit crimes than any other demographic, you can argue that we should lock them up until they are adults.

Unless of course, when you said "your life raft" you meant that I actually own it. In which case, I can set any rules I want because it's my life raft.
myrkul (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2011, 09:33:54 PM

So it's wrong because I say so? Is that your definition? Then you shouldn't have a problem with our current society, because what's being done to you is "right because we said so".

So I'm supposed to be able to predict the future to avoid having people put me in unnecessary risk? That guy is forcing me to take a risk I'm not willing to take, but that isn't a violation of the NAP, or is it?

No, it's wrong because the NAP says so. If you want more information on why the NAP says so, there is plenty of data, even in other threads on this board, that I do not feel the need to rehash. If you or AyeYo will give me a definition as to why you feel murder is wrong, even though you disagree with the NAP, I will couch my explanation in terms that you will accept based on that framework.

And Yes, to some extent, you are asked to predict the future in every aspect of life. Every action you take is a risk. Even inaction is a risk, because of unpredictable factors of nature. That said, If you got on a raft with a knife juggler, you knew what you were getting into.

JA37

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 09:35:15 PM

Or what if he's a juggler that decides to practice knife juggling in your life raft. You can't coerce him to stop, right?

Right.

Once you allow that someones fear of risky behavior permits coercion then any form of tyranny can be justified. There's no stopping point. If teenage males are more likely to commit crimes than any other demographic, you can argue that we should lock them up until they are adults.

Unless of course, when you said "your life raft" you meant that I actually own it. In which case, I can set any rules I want because it's my life raft.

Why wouldn't there be a stopping point? Why does everything have to be all or nothing?

If you happen to own the raft you're free to endanger everybody's life for your own amusement? Even if we ended up there unwilling?

myrkul (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2011, 09:40:25 PM

If you happen to own the raft you're free to endanger everybody's life for your own amusement? Even if we ended up there unwilling?

You always have a choice. Sometimes it's a shit choice (Take your chances on the raft, or drown when the boat sinks) but it's still a choice, and you made it.

JA37

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 09:46:16 PM

No, it's wrong because the NAP says so. If you want more information on why the NAP says so, there is plenty of data, even in other threads on this board, that I do not feel the need to rehash. If you or AyeYo will give me a definition as to why you feel murder is wrong, even though you disagree with the NAP, I will couch my explanation in terms that you will accept based on that framework.

And Yes, to some extent, you are asked to predict the future in every aspect of life. Every action you take is a risk. Even inaction is a risk, because of unpredictable factors of nature. That said, If you got on a raft with a knife juggler, you knew what you were getting into.

Yes, and the NAP is defined by "you". If I write a No-Non-Necessary-Agression-Principle that says that the NAP is wrong in certain circumstances, does that make it so? The NNNAP says that you can use coercion when your life is in danger.

Yes, living is risky. Why is it OK for others to decide what risk I should take? In most cases I can leave, and that would be the right choice, but if I can't I'll have to rely on the NNNAP to save me.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 »
  Print  

Jump to: