Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 11:31:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What is your opinion of the Maximum role of Government in society?
Absolute: Government should control all services and prices. - 5 (5.3%)
Moderate: the Government should control some services, and not others (explain) - 30 (31.6%)
Minimal: The Government should limit itself to courts and military. - 32 (33.7%)
None: All services and goods should be provided privately (or collectively). - 28 (29.5%)
Total Voters: 94

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Maximum role of Government?  (Read 28703 times)
ascent

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 07:25:14 PM

we mutually agree to coercion

This is ridiculous. If it's mutual, it's not coercion. If it's coercion, it's not mutual.

You were the one who pointed me to the paper (which I thank you for). It makes a number of salient points, pretty much exactly in line with those of Herman Daly. There is nothing ridiculous about it.

I don't know why you are now arguing against the paper that you seemed to imply would back your claims.
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
myrkul (OP)

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2011, 07:29:44 PM

we mutually agree to coercion

This is ridiculous. If it's mutual, it's not coercion. If it's coercion, it's not mutual.

You were the one who pointed me to the paper (which I thank you for). It makes a number of salient points, pretty much exactly in line with those of Herman Daly. There is nothing ridiculous about it.

I don't know why you are now arguing against the paper that you seemed to imply would back your claims.

I didn't point you toward the paper, I pointed you toward the concept. That you found a paper is immaterial. Care to address my arguments?

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
ascent

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 07:53:27 PM

I didn't point you toward the paper, I pointed you toward the concept. That you found a paper is immaterial. Care to address my arguments?

You most certainly did point me to the paper. There is no confusion on this matter. The Tragedy of the Commons is a term coined by the author of the paper in 1968. Any derivation of the concept is an interpretation of the paper. Let's quote your words:

But I want you to look up 'tragedy of the commons' to see how difficult it is to allocate resources held in common.

Saying that I found the paper is immaterial is like telling me to read Jane Austen and then telling me that reading Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility is not representative of reading Austen. Regarding mutual coercion, it's very clear that Hardin is arguing for regulation. Care to address his points? And Daly's?
myrkul (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2011, 07:58:15 PM

Care to address his points? And Daly's?

I already did. And since you seem incapable of responding, I'll assume you concede.

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
JA37

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 08:02:03 PM

Who, do you think, will be better able to pay for lobbyists, the coal-burning power company, or the citizens?
Funny, when we had a similar argument about who would fund a security company against a crime syndicate you made it very clear that such a syndicate wouldn't be a match against the massive funding of the private citizens. Yet now the argument is reversed? How come?

Ponzi me: http://fxnet.bitlex.org/?ref=588
Thanks to the anonymous person who doubled my BTC wealth by sending 0.02 BTC to: 1BSGbFq4G8r3uckpdeQMhP55ScCJwbvNnG
myrkul (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2011, 08:07:22 PM

Who, do you think, will be better able to pay for lobbyists, the coal-burning power company, or the citizens?
Funny, when we had a similar argument about who would fund a security company against a crime syndicate you made it very clear that such a syndicate wouldn't be a match against the massive funding of the private citizens. Yet now the argument is reversed? How come?

You cannot compare hiring multiple private military forces in response to a threat to hiring lobbyists. Please, set up your straw men elsewhere.

AyeYo

Activity: 154
Merit: 103

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 08:08:59 PM

You cannot compare hiring multiple private military forces in response to a threat to hiring lobbyists. Please, set up your straw men elsewhere.

Why not?

Enjoying the dose of reality or getting a laugh out of my posts? Feel free to toss me a penny or two, everyone else seems to be doing it! 1Kn8NqvbCC83zpvBsKMtu4sjso5PjrQEu1
myrkul (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2011, 08:11:58 PM

Why not?

Because the people already pay people to go represent their interests in Washington. these people are called 'Congressmen'

AyeYo

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 08:15:54 PM

Why not?

Because the people already pay people to go represent their interests in Washington. these people are called 'Congressmen'

That's irrelevant.  Groups of citizens hire lobbiests all the time.  If citizens can overcome a private security company, why can they not overcome a coal plant company?

Enjoying the dose of reality or getting a laugh out of my posts? Feel free to toss me a penny or two, everyone else seems to be doing it! 1Kn8NqvbCC83zpvBsKMtu4sjso5PjrQEu1
ascent

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 08:23:07 PM

I already did. And since you seem incapable of responding, I'll assume you concede.

No, I don't concede. But I'm not so conceited as to think I can say it better than others. I paired the author of your The Tragedy of the Commons with my recommended author Herman Daly in a Google search and came up with plenty of literature that will argue against your points. I notice that several books include essays from both. Apparently the two had a lot of mutual respect for each other (Garrett Hardin has since died). Again, I can't thank you enough for introducing me to Garrett Hardin's work.

The Google search was Garrett Hardin Herman Daly.

Here are some results:

http://www.amazon.com/Valuing-Earth-Economics-Ecology-ebook/dp/B002XQ223M

http://www.garretthardinsociety.org/gh/gh_skeptic_interview.html

http://www.wordtrade.com/science/earthscience/conservationR.htm
myrkul (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2011, 08:28:29 PM

That's irrelevant.  Groups of citizens hire lobbiests all the time.  If citizens can overcome a private security company, why can they not overcome a coal plant company?

So, you advocate, in addition to taxes, and probably paying that same company for power, that they hire private lobbyists?

As opposed to my solution, where they simply hire an inspection company? - a solution, I might add, which is exactly analogous to the private defense force one.

Private, independent ratings and standards agencies would be much more effective at preventing wide-scale pollution, because if one gets corrupted or co-opted, its ratings will diverge from the rest, and it will quickly be discredited. Someone pays off an EPA inspector, and there's nobody to double-check.

AyeYo

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 08:29:54 PM

So, you advocate, in addition to taxes, and probably paying that same company for power, that they hire private lobbyists?

You dodged my question.  I'll repost it.

If citizens can overcome a private security company, why can they not overcome a coal plant company?

ascent

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 08:34:49 PM

You can also add Paul R. Ehrlich to the above two authors. Garrett Hardin also had mutual respect for him as well. Again, I can't thank you enough for recommending Garrett Hardin to me - by doing so you have given me further armament against your arguments.

Right now I'm currently reading Ehrlich's book The Dominant Animal. I recommend it heartily. I think you would benefit from reading it: http://www.amazon.com/Dominant-Animal-Human-Evolution-Environment/dp/1597260975/

I've quoted Ehrlich before in these forums, but I'll quote him again:

"The scale of the human socio-economic-political complex system is so large that it seriously interferes with the biospheric complex system upon which it is wholly dependant, and cultural evolution has been too slow to deal effectively with the resulting crisis." —Paul R. Ehrlich

Link: http://seedmagazine.com/content/article/starting_over/

So we have Garret Hardin, Herman Daly and Paul R. Ehrlich. Start reading.
myrkul (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2011, 08:45:59 PM

If citizens can overcome a private security company, why can they not overcome a coal plant company?

Necessary expenditures like, Oh, say, housing, and food come to mind. You are suggesting they pay a company for power, pay the government to keep that company in line, and pay a lobbyist to keep the government in line?

I am suggesting that they pay a company to provide power, and then select a company (from several) to keep that company in line. Because not everyone is going to pick the same agency, there will be more agencies watching the power company than under any government monopoly, and it will be done for cheaper because there will be no government to keep in line.

So we have Garret Hardin, Herman Daly and Paul R. Ehrlich. Start reading.

You. Argue your point. Prove to me that a monopoly on environmental regulation is preferable.

ascent

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 08:52:42 PM

I am suggesting that they pay a company to provide power, and then select a company (from several) to keep that company in line. Because not everyone is going to pick the same agency, there will be more agencies watching the power company than under any government monopoly, and it will be done for cheaper because there will be no government to keep in line.

Actually, there will be a few half-assed agencies, with competing agendas, watching the coal company. Not everyone will pay to have an agency watch the coal company. I will assume you're paying to do it, so I won't. Furthermore, who's going to pay to watch the agencies? And I can only imagine the coal company will have connections and insiders with regard to the various agencies, and so forth.
AyeYo

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 08:57:02 PM

Necessary expenditures like, Oh, say, housing, and food come to mind. You are suggesting they pay a company for power, pay the government to keep that company in line, and pay a lobbyist to keep the government in line?

You dodged it again.  Here's the question, try to answer it and stop setting up strawmen.

myrkul (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2011, 08:57:48 PM

Actually, there will be a few half-assed agencies, with competing agendas, watching the coal company. Not everyone will pay to have an agency watch the coal company. I will assume you're paying to do it, so I won't. Furthermore, who's going to pay to watch the agencies? And I can only imagine the coal company will have connections and insiders with regard to the various agencies, and so forth.

Showing possible flaws in my suggestion does not back up your claims that a monopoly is better. Try harder.

myrkul (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2011, 08:59:38 PM

You dodged it again.  Here's the question, try to answer it and stop setting up strawmen.

No, I didn't. Read it again. I'll bold the relevant section.

Done? Good. Why? Because it's too damn expensive.

JA37

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 09:15:26 PM

Because it's too damn expensive.

And you won't have those costs otherwise? It's just in the current society you do?

Ponzi me: http://fxnet.bitlex.org/?ref=588
Thanks to the anonymous person who doubled my BTC wealth by sending 0.02 BTC to: 1BSGbFq4G8r3uckpdeQMhP55ScCJwbvNnG
myrkul (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2011, 09:23:07 PM

Because it's too damn expensive.

And you won't have those costs otherwise? It's just in the current society you do?

Well, I am advocating removing the single most expensive item from the list, remember.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 »
  Print  

Jump to: