Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 07:00:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BFL current state of affairs  (Read 8134 times)
mezzomix
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1253

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 05:20:37 AM

Yeah I know - now answer from BFL on valid questions...
ninjarobot

Activity: 761
Merit: 500

Mine Silent, Mine Deep

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 05:22:01 AM

Who's deploying then?  The network hashrate seems to be going up in lockstep with the amount of hashrate we are shipping out, give or take a slight deviation.

ASICMiner still has 12% of the network hashrate, even at this difficulty. I assume they have not been sitting still. Sure, they might have hit a delay when it comes to shipping mini blades to customers, but that does not mean they are unable to serve their own needs. http://blockchain.info/pools

If the exponential hashrate is solely due to BFL shipping then congrats, it means you are doing something right. I wonder how many late pre-orders were aware of what was in store for them (in terms of hashrate in the backlog) especially since you jacked the prices and stopped refunds.
Vagnavs
Legendary

Activity: 1121
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 05:23:28 AM

But honestly, whatever is in the backlog will never make ROI. It is a write-off folks. BFL had their window of opportunity but it has long since closed. Wonder if they are going to come out with Gen2 plans (and perhaps upgrade orders that have been in the queue for over 6 months) or just close up shop.

Someone doesn't understand how bitcoin mining works...

Well sure, if you paid in USD *and* have free energy *and* live a long life. Go for it.

You miss the point.  You complain that "whatever is in the backlog will never make ROI." and "BFL had their window of opportunity bit it long since closed." as if they are somehow separate issues.  They aren't, which is where you don't understand (you're not alone) how bitcoin mining works.  If BFL had shipped in November, difficulty would be in the same place it is now (actually, it would be much, much higher).  What you and many others fail to understand is that YOUR unit is not the only unit shipping and that is the only scenario where early shipping is beneficial to YOU.  Otherwise, it doesn't much matter when the shipping happens, because your relative difficulty will be functionally the same.  

There is no "window of opportunity." Closed or open... hashrate is hashrate, no matter when it ships.

I'll let other people bash you. But aren't you embarrassed with the company's performance? If this is my company, I don't and be on any forum until things changed. I.e. work got done and everyone receive their order.
Regards,
Brian

Avalanche is a must own
iikun
Legendary

Activity: 1062
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 05:30:57 AM

Who's deploying then?  The network hashrate seems to be going up in lockstep with the amount of hashrate we are shipping out, give or take a slight deviation.

Don't break your arm patting yourself on the back on your deployment thus far Wink
Quantus
Legendary

Activity: 883
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 05:47:27 AM

There is only one thing we say to the God of Death, "two more weeks."

(I am a 1MB block supporter who thinks all users should be using Full-Node clients)
Avoid the XT shills, they only want to destroy bitcoin, their hubris and greed will destroy us.
Know your adversary https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKorP55Aqvg
User705
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1006

First 100% Liquid Stablecoin Backed by Gold

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 05:50:33 AM

Who's deploying then?  The network hashrate seems to be going up in lockstep with the amount of hashrate we are shipping out, give or take a slight deviation.

I'm having a hard time with the charts but didn't the network add 200,000 GH in the last month?  So you're saying you've shipped 40,000 Jalapenos, or 4,000 Singles, or 400 Mini-Rigs or some sort of combination of those in the last month, give or take a slight deviation?

Quantus
Legendary

Activity: 883
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 05:59:51 AM

September -  "Just you wait"
October -  "Just you wait"
November - "Just you wait"
December -  "Just you wait"
January - "Just you wait"
February -  "Just you wait"
March -  "Just you wait"
April - "Just you wait"
may - "Just you wait"
June - "Just you wait"
July - "Just you wait"
August -  "Just you wait"

"our work flow"

(I am a 1MB block supporter who thinks all users should be using Full-Node clients)
Avoid the XT shills, they only want to destroy bitcoin, their hubris and greed will destroy us.
Know your adversary https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKorP55Aqvg
af_newbie
Legendary

Activity: 2688
Merit: 1468

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2013, 06:00:31 AM

I'm having a hard time with the charts but didn't the network add 200,000 GH in the last month?  So you're saying you've shipped 40,000 Jalapenos, or 4,000 Singles, or 400 Mini-Rigs or some sort of combination of those in the last month, give or take a slight deviation?

Bitfury in Ukraine put up 100TH/s online recently, just for testing  Wink  ASICMiner probably "matched" that.
In my estimate, BFL shipped ~50-100 Mini rigs so far.

joshv06

Activity: 991

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 06:15:39 AM

Why does BFL keep acting like they're the only ones selling/shipping ASICS?

I keep hearing "You obviously don't know how Bitcoin difficult works"

D A I L Y -  C R Y P T O  -  G I V E W A Y S
▬▬ ●●     Your source for daily free giveaways !    ●● ▬▬
DISCORD    -    TWITTER    -    WEBSITE
JimiQ84

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 06:17:24 AM

Why does BFL keep acting like they're the only ones selling/shipping ASICS?

I keep hearing "You obviously don't know how Bitcoin difficult works"

because AM and Avalon had deployed only 200TH/s combined. That clearly means that network hashrate of 400TH is pure BFL. [/sarcasm]
User705
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1006

First 100% Liquid Stablecoin Backed by Gold

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 06:18:31 AM

Bitfury in Ukraine put up 100TH/s online recently, just for testing  Wink  ASICMiner probably "matched" that.
In my estimate, BFL shipped ~50-100 Mini rigs so far.

What do you mean so far?  What's the time frame on so far?  Last month hashrate went up 200,000 Gh right?  I was having a hard time reading the blockchain chart although from personal experience I see BTC Guild's total pool rate every day and total Gh basically doubled so it seems right.  Inaba said that the network hashrate is going up lockstep with the amount of hashrate they are shipping out, give or take a slight deviation.  He would know the total hash rate they are shipping out so are you saying the network didn't add 200,000 Gh or you are saying they haven't shipped 200,000 Gh?

vulgartrendkill

Activity: 518

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2013, 06:45:54 AM

No disrespect to Josh, but I think that its a combination of all the current builders of asic machines starting to ramp up production.

I feel whats most frustrating is that BFL were one of the first to market these ASICs, but will be amongst the last to deliver.

If I ordered a bitfury board today, more than likely I would receive on or around November time.  The jalapeno I ordered in July may not even be being built at that point.

I get it that there may be huge numbers of orders or production bottlenecks etc, but to come out and say the backlog (at that time) would be cleared by end of september (and then subsequent BFL employees to say that wouldn't be possible)  without saying exactly why is slightly disengenuous.

Was it Josh being over enthusiastic with the estimates?

I really don't mind waiting TBH but its the attitude of BFL that is making me re evaluate my decision to choose them to help build my Bitcoin mining operation.
||bit

Activity: 924
Merit: 506

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 07:34:13 AM

So I did some math. According to bfl.ptz.ro and the BFL blog:

Jalapeno: 3575 ordered, 788 shipped, 2787 remaining, 22.04% fulfilled.
Little single: 1230 ordered, 87 shipped, 1143 shipped, 7.07% fulfilled.
Single: 2678 ordered, 233 shipped, 2445 remaining, 8.70% fulfilled.
Mini rig: 185 ordered, 25 shipped (to Josh), 160 remaining, 13.51% fulfilled.

Plugging in their current value to weight the total fulfilment, I come to 10.99% of the order book shipped out. This most likely excludes a much more significant amount of non declared miners at the tail end of the order queue, since the general public is less likely to have known about the website.

Discuss.

Can you verify or evidence that 25 mini-rigs were sent to Josh?
k9quaint
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 07:46:42 AM

This from someone who is afraid to say how many units overall they ship.  Cheesy

People who ordered Avalon chips delivered in China reported getting their shipments a couple of weeks ago.
Batch 3 has arrived in the states and hit China quite some time ago.
ASICminer has been deploying more hashrate and selling hardware.
There isn't more than 10TH/s coming out of BFL this month given the rest of the deployments. Less if Bitfury is actually beta testing.

Bitcoin is backed by the full faith and credit of YouTube comments.
af_newbie
Legendary

Activity: 2688
Merit: 1468

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2013, 07:49:28 AM

..What do you mean so far?  

...so are you saying the network didn't add 200,000 Gh or you are saying they haven't shipped 200,000 Gh?

They have many more minirigs to ship, not to mention singles.

I don't think they are the only ones responsible for 200TH/s increase.

I agree with Josh though, Avalon is out, ASICMiner sits tight, they don't have ASIC h/w problems but more logistics issues.
It is not trivial to deploy large scale farms.  Cabling, HVAC, new transmission lines to data centers.  Basically you need to build
new data centers before deployment.  Besides they are heavily mining so it is not in their interest to sell hardware.  They do it to diversify
and keep constant share of the pie.

Everyone forgets bitfury.  Just like last year, everyone was discounting him with his 100GH/s FPGA rack.
I think bitfury and BFL will be responsible for majority of hash rate increase from now on.

KNC is a joke and probably a scam.  Others are basically pre-order websites.

||bit

Activity: 924
Merit: 506

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 07:59:04 AM

So I did some math. According to bfl.ptz.ro and the BFL blog:

Jalapeno: 3575 ordered, 788 shipped, 2787 remaining, 22.04% fulfilled.
Little single: 1230 ordered, 87 shipped, 1143 shipped, 7.07% fulfilled.
Single: 2678 ordered, 233 shipped, 2445 remaining, 8.70% fulfilled.
Mini rig: 185 ordered, 25 shipped (to Josh), 160 remaining, 13.51% fulfilled.

Plugging in their current value to weight the total fulfilment, I come to 10.99% of the order book shipped out. This most likely excludes a much more significant amount of non declared miners at the tail end of the order queue, since the general public is less likely to have known about the website.

Discuss.

If that's correct, that is about 58TH. But the network has exploded hundreds of TH over the past months. Surely, those are not GPU miners.
If those are true numbers, and if BFL is the only significant shipper of asic hardware, then whose the entity using asic hardware to mine with while most people wait painfully for BFL hardware?

I'm also curious about the above claim that Josh received 25 mini-rigs. I know a guy that ordered a mini-rig in the first week or pre-orders and is still waiting for 2/3rds of his order. Wow, after more than a year of waiting. Such treatment of other people's money seems criminal.
mezzomix
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1253

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 08:11:46 AM

If this guy paid his rigs with BTC he will never see ROI. The opportunity window for ASICs is now history.
vulgartrendkill

Activity: 518

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2013, 08:21:09 AM

Not true.  ASICs are the future and we just have to deal with that.  Once 28nm and lower chips come along (and they will) GH/s will start to increase wildly to account for the high difficulty.  Not only that but remember these are essentially still first gen devices, once the basic designs are down, improvements will be made in time.

ASICs just serve to make it more difficult for the hobbyist miner to achieve a return.
trout

Activity: 333
Merit: 252

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 09:45:43 AM

Someone doesn't understand how bitcoin mining works...

You miss the point.  

There is no "window of opportunity." Closed or open... hashrate is hashrate, no matter when it ships.

Actually, it is important when it ships.
Some of the first customers that ordered BFL  asics hoped to receive them
while block reward would sill be at  50 BTC.  Now it's 25, and it's not gonna stay 25 forever either,
alghough it's quite likely that at the time of the next halving all currently used asics will be not worth the electricity they consume.
Tigggger
Legendary

Activity: 1098
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 09:55:34 AM

Yes, BFL basically is.  Who else is shipping any sort of volume with regards to hashrate? 

Not Avalon... they are just trickling out hashrate.  ASICminer was having issues and delays last I heard.  Who else?

BFL Shipping in volume, LOL nice one Josh

How's the backorder queue going, still on track to get it cleared by November, December, January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September ?

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: