Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 03:20:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitmain just announced the AntMiner A3 - 815GH/s Siacoin miner - Blake(2b)  (Read 12708 times)
joae1975

Activity: 752
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 05:08:16 PM

What u think?

"We did add an extra feature to the SC1 unit that would allow us to invalidate the Bitmain hardware without invalidating the SC1. The community would need to choose to adopt a soft-fork (it's not something we could just magically activate, we have to change the hashing algorithm slightly), and then we could get rid of this cycle of Bitmain hardware. Of course, they could just create another round of hardware (likely taking ~3 months). And, it would hurt Bitmain customers more than it would hurt Bitmain. Bitmain has already sold around $20 million of non-refundable hardware. They have made their profit, and a soft-fork wouldn't change that."

From Sia Dev team
https://www.reddit.com/r/siacoin/comments/7r4spy/dev_team_thoughts_on_the_bitmain_a3/

If the majority of the mining community is using bitmain miners, I highly doubt they'll agree to it.  This is just a jealous dev who's GPU's will be worthless for SC now.

1PewuG8KZJUPK3CtvAkAs1Uw42rQgUv5Jk

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Freight

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 05:19:16 PM

What u think?

"We did add an extra feature to the SC1 unit that would allow us to invalidate the Bitmain hardware without invalidating the SC1. The community would need to choose to adopt a soft-fork (it's not something we could just magically activate, we have to change the hashing algorithm slightly), and then we could get rid of this cycle of Bitmain hardware. Of course, they could just create another round of hardware (likely taking ~3 months). And, it would hurt Bitmain customers more than it would hurt Bitmain. Bitmain has already sold around $20 million of non-refundable hardware. They have made their profit, and a soft-fork wouldn't change that."

From Sia Dev team
https://www.reddit.com/r/siacoin/comments/7r4spy/dev_team_thoughts_on_the_bitmain_a3/

If the majority of the mining community is using bitmain miners, I highly doubt they'll agree to it.  This is just a jealous dev who's GPU's will be worthless for SC now.

Here's hoping it's only one dev... 🤞
Msobh

Activity: 51
Merit: 2

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 05:30:04 PM

But what do you think guys about the SIA price . i mean there will be huge coins dumped in the market. shouldn't that make the price drop much more ?
or may be the price will go higher due to some facts ( Bitmain decide to pump it Smiley ) and in this case it is better to buy SIA and wait ?

Aegean Skipper

Activity: 378
Merit: 126

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 05:33:26 PM

With this device only the Siacoin is minable? nothing else?

Another question,
Until now how Siacoin was mined?
BenRickert

Activity: 420
Merit: 110

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 05:36:55 PM

Another question,
GPU

You only live once....if you do it right, once is enough.

Excellent FAQ for Lightning Network https://medium.com/@AudunGulbrands1/lightning-faq-67bd2b957d70
Aegean Skipper

Activity: 378
Merit: 126

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 06:04:44 PM

Another question,
GPU

That's WOW
Thanks!
alpha-miner

Activity: 23

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 06:45:46 PM

Announcement from Sia team :

Bitmain has announced ASICs for Sia, shipping in 7 days. 1275w, 815 GH/s, ~$3200 USD. They are more expensive and less efficient than the Obelisk SC1, but they ship several months sooner (7 days as opposed to several months).

Bitmain has a long history of being abusive towards coin communities, their customers, and towards coin developers.We prepared for something like this by adding an extra feature to the SC1. We can do a soft-fork that slightly changes the PoW algorithm which would invalidate the bitmain ASICs, but allow the SC1 units to continue working. In the event of an attack from Bitmain, we can activate this soft fork. At this time, I do not think it is necessary, but if they start mining empty blocks or otherwise prove problematic for the network, we have recourse that does not involve destroying the usefulness of the SC1 units. This fork would of course require community adoption, it's not something the devs could decide to activate on their own. It would be a UASF, because the majority hashrate would not be standing behind the soft fork.

Overall, I do not think we have much to worry about. Hopefully (and very likely), this soft-fork will never be necessary. But I wanted to remind everyone (including Bitmain) that, at the end of the day, it is the community that has control, not the miners. If ASIC manufacturers act in a way that is harmful to the network, we have recourse.
Just chest thumping. That would be suicide to Fork in response. They could lose most of, if not all miner support. Bitmain could just re-flash the firmware to respond? Initiating the fork could actually give control to the ASIC's miners, of the entire surviving coin. I suspect Bitmain would like this attempt. Bitmain are some cagey cats man. They know what they are doing.

I hope so. Seems sia would want a fast hashing network no?  And sia is not easily traded ATM, so with bitmain miners and nicehash supporting mining, most exchanges would likely open up to sia no? Iean nicehash has to liquidate the SC to exchange for BTC right? Now all of the traders, especially the bandwagon folks, can now buy SC creating more demand.

Also was the sia team threaten by the obelisk announcement of their miners?? Why just bitmain?
alpha-miner

Activity: 23

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 06:52:22 PM

But what do you think guys about the SIA price . i mean there will be huge coins dumped in the market. shouldn't that make the price drop much more ?
or may be the price will go higher due to some facts ( Bitmain decide to pump it Smiley ) and in this case it is better to buy SIA and wait ?

If you mine with nicehash I would assume NH would liquidate SC for BCC which could flood market, but there is a possibility they hold the coin. If you mine sia directly and hold the coin it drives up hash difficulty and takes access to SC away theoretically reducing supply and increasing demand ie price.

What I like about sia is the coin has a direct use/need with their storage platform. They just need a big company to adopt it and it will make all crypto more legit in the eyes of big business.
Eyedol-X

Activity: 952
Merit: 508

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 09:39:53 PM

Those numbers are likely right but the reality is that they don't account for the difficulty spike... for a few days initially you will likely make huge profits until more Asics come online... There is a very good chance the first owners will cover the cost of their A3's in the first 30 days but after that, it's not likely.

If SIA decides to softfork the network to invalidate the Bitmain ASIC, that is also going to create some issues.

It's all a gamble right now.

Me, I'm waiting on my Obelisk(s) and will support that venture at this time.

From the looks of it this ASIC hunt is like an arms race Smiley Whoever gets it first wins.

Although, aren't the guys who develop these make huge profits first and just start to sell them only after that to everybody?

From a pure profit standpoint, you're absolutely right.

Me I support SIA first, profits from SIA second. It's for this reason and some others I'm choosing not the buy the A3 at this time.

The thing is, you can still go to Obelisk site and pre-order the Blake2b miners from their second batch until the end of the month.  I was considering it, but did not like the wait.  This was sort of an introduction to me showing how Bitcointalk works,,,, when this Obelisk miner came out, no one was talking about it here (trying to keep it quiet I suppose, lol).  I couldn't even find a thread about it here at Bitcointalk.  It looks like many experienced miners loaded up on the Obelisk offer and now will be left holding the bag.  I am sure the Obelisk miner will still ROI, but not nearly as fast.  My lesson is, if you are being offered a coin specific ASIC miner, then the offer is worthless unless you receive miner right away.   This 3-7month pre-order BS does not work when you have cash hungry capable competition                  

You must have missed this thread - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1976753.0
Tekno2020

Activity: 262
Merit: 11

<<<-----( )----->>>

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 10:58:15 PM

Those numbers are likely right but the reality is that they don't account for the difficulty spike... for a few days initially you will likely make huge profits until more Asics come online... There is a very good chance the first owners will cover the cost of their A3's in the first 30 days but after that, it's not likely.

If SIA decides to softfork the network to invalidate the Bitmain ASIC, that is also going to create some issues.

From the looks of it this ASIC hunt is like an arms race Smiley Whoever gets it first wins.

Although, aren't the guys who develop these make huge profits first and just start to sell them only after that to everybody?

Me I support SIA first, profits from SIA second. It's for this reason and some others I'm choosing not the buy the A3 at this time.

The thing is, you can still go to Obelisk site and pre-order the Blake2b miners from their second batch until the end of the month.  I was considering it, but did not like the wait.  This was sort of an introduction to me showing how Bitcointalk works,,,, when this Obelisk miner came out, no one was talking about it here (trying to keep it quiet I suppose, lol).  I couldn't even find a thread about it here at Bitcointalk.  It looks like many experienced miners loaded up on the Obelisk offer and now will be left holding the bag.  I am sure the Obelisk miner will still ROI, but not nearly as fast.  My lesson is, if you are being offered a coin specific ASIC miner, then the offer is worthless unless you receive miner right away.   This 3-7month pre-order BS does not work when you have cash hungry capable competition                  

You must have missed this thread - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1976753.0

Yes I did. Thx.  Sort of feel sorry for all of their early investors/buyers.  Just a tad.  Obelisk had to have known that they were not working in a vacuum.  Competition is going to come.  This is an interesting development and just a prelude of what is to come,,,, because,,,,  in short time (2-3 years) EVERY major coin will have ASICs developed.  GPU mining will always be possible for multiple shitcoins, but ASICs will dominate.

~The Annointed One~ 
btc: 31pDmi6PDdHFUT51MTzJNYacxYMZp2bi58
ltc: MGnitxNo2qZNgb2biahDguxMZuCbGPQQ84
VoskCoin

Activity: 1414
Merit: 487

YouTube.com/VoskCoin

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2018, 12:06:18 AM

Yes I did. Thx.  Sort of feel sorry for all of their early investors/buyers.  Just a tad.  Obelisk had to have known that they were not working in a vacuum.  Competition is going to come.  This is an interesting development and just a prelude of what is to come,,,, because,,,,  in short time (2-3 years) EVERY major coin will have ASICs developed.  GPU mining will always be possible for multiple shitcoins, but ASICs will dominate.
What if coins choose to change their algo so that the newly developed ASICs are then worthless?

//This whole situation will be interesting to watch unfold. . for better and worse I'll be in it as I took the gamble and bought an A3. SIA could really shoot themselves in the foot here depending on how they navigate this.

Check out my Crypto YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/VoskCoin
If you enjoy my content click Subscribe
BenRickert

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 12:11:41 AM

Yes I did. Thx.  Sort of feel sorry for all of their early investors/buyers.  Just a tad.  Obelisk had to have known that they were not working in a vacuum.  Competition is going to come.  This is an interesting development and just a prelude of what is to come,,,, because,,,,  in short time (2-3 years) EVERY major coin will have ASICs developed.  GPU mining will always be possible for multiple shitcoins, but ASICs will dominate.
Until AI, which will likely be the ASIC's replacement tech. Which coincidentally, Bitmain is ALREADY working on. (Sophon?) Probably the real reason for their move towards Sia. Cloud storage seems to be a critical element of AI development. This stuff is all way over my head, but I can see a pattern developing here.

Excellent FAQ for Lightning Network https://medium.com/@AudunGulbrands1/lightning-faq-67bd2b957d70
HagssFIN
Legendary

Activity: 2422
Merit: 1706

Electrical engineer. Mining since 2014.

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2018, 12:14:23 AM

^ Yeah I don't think Bitmain made the decision to come up with the A3 miner just to bully the SIA developer team.

BenRickert

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 12:15:57 AM

^ Yeah I don't think Bitmain made the decision to come up with the A3 miner just to bully the SIA developer team.
Funny thing is....when you search ASIC and AI combined, Bitmain takes the top 4-5 search result spots. Also, maybe I have this a bit backwards;

https://www.forbes.com/sites/moorinsights/2017/08/04/will-asic-chips-become-the-next-big-thing-in-ai/#44169311d9f4

VoskCoin

YouTube.com/VoskCoin

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2018, 12:17:21 AM

Until AI, which will likely be the ASIC's replacement tech. Which coincidentally, Bitmain is ALREADY working on. (Sophon?) Probably the real reason for their move towards Sia. Cloud storage seems to be a critical element of AI development. This stuff is all way over my head, but I can see a pattern developing here.
you're a smart man! bitmain will rule the world here shortly, and its all our faults O_o

BenRickert

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 12:18:07 AM

Nor do I. I see it as more of a "forced partnership". Sia development seems to have two options. Play nice and jump on the "Bitrain", or risk getting chewed up.

badger88

Activity: 83

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 12:22:37 AM

What u think?

From Sia Dev team

What do I think?

BITMAIN TO SIA DEVS:  All your Sia Coin are now belong to us.  Have happy day!

you forgot 'hahaha -you have no chance to survive siacoin make your time'
HagssFIN
Legendary

Activity: 2422
Merit: 1706

Electrical engineer. Mining since 2014.

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2018, 12:26:57 AM

@VoskCoin

Bitmain = future 'Cyberdyne Systems'?   Grin

While I think this is a good joke, it is also a horrifying thought if it ends up being real.

VoskCoin

YouTube.com/VoskCoin

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2018, 12:31:09 AM

@VoskCoin

Bitmain = future 'Cyberdyne Systems'?   Grin

While I think this is a good joke, it is also a horrifying thought if it ends up being real.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bISTzOQVkXU

The end will be bloody and glorious all at the same time

MoneyJ

Activity: 1022
Merit: 504

GoMeat - Digitalizing Meat Stores - ICO

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 01:12:38 AM

This A3 miner is the First ASIC for Blake algorithm. Indeed , it is a Little bit pricey for a not so popular Coins. Bottomline is if it generated more valu than everything else then it might consider to be a Smart buy.

█████████████████████████████
████▀▀ ▄▄▄ ▀▀████▀ ▄▄▄▄ ▀████
███▀ ███████▄ ██ ▄██████▄ ███
███ ████▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████████████
███▄ ███████▀ █▄ ▀██████▀▀███
████▄ ▀▀▀▀▀ ▄████▄ ▀▀▀▀ ▄████
.GoMeat.  300+ STORES ALREADY ONBOARD
 THE FIRST PROJECT OF ITS KIND

ONLY 160K TOKENS REMAINING
████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████████████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 »
  Print  

Jump to: