Bitcoin Forum
June 28, 2024, 07:38:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitmain just announced the AntMiner A3 - 815GH/s Siacoin miner - Blake(2b)  (Read 12725 times)
barracuda420

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 20, 2018, 01:53:04 AM

Can someone tell me if we can run these in a aprtment in the US? I believe we have 125 V 15 A breakers. But the APW++ PSU on bitmain site says that 110 V will only provide 1200 W ourput. Are we SOL? Will the bathroom or kitchen special outlets do any help?

You'll be able to power a single A3 on one of those circuits, but I wouldn't use a single APW3++. I'd go for the EVGA SuperNova 1600 G2 instead. We have a ton of customers who attempted to run the S9 with an APW3++ over 120v circuits and would often experience hashing boards that would just disappear until the next reboot. Moving to 220v circuits almost always fixes the issue permanently. The point is that the APW3++ will still attempt to output the full amount needed by the miner, but the power will likely be less consistent and you'll also be increasing your fire hazard risk. If you insist on using the APW3++, then get 2 of them and run some hashing boards on one and the rest on the other.

Thank you for the quick response. I ordered the APW3++ already along with the A3 Sad. I am also looking to use a colocation in a couple of weeks so I believe they will be able to accomodate the APW3++? Until then (1 to 2 weeks), I will have to run in my aprtment. Is it risky to run for even a short period of time? Am I risking low hashing and restart once in a while? Or am I risking to kill the miner or burn the house?

Also, can you post a link to a power cord to buy for the APW3++? I have spare ones that came with EVGA 750 BQ psus. One says 105 C 3 x 18 AWG (0.824 mm2) 300V. Other one says 60 C 3/c 18 AWG (0.824 mm2) 300 V. Are they good or bad to use with this?

Can someone answer this please?

Short answer: Its a new machine so no one can be sure. You can be the first to try it and let us know how it goes.

That said, here is what I guess...
A3 consumes 1200W so you should be good with APW++ at 110V (I only run mine @240V). It takes any regular computer power cable (C13).
Do you have access to the breaker switch in case you trip it? If not then you have to take more care.
Antminers can be loud! Noise might be your biggest concern not power.

If you are really, really daring and are ok with voiding your warranty you can power up one or two boards instead of all 3.

When you power it up that first night treat it like a new born baby. Don't sleep. Just watch it hash away all night.

Good luck!

Yes, I do have access to the breaker. Yes, I am aware of noise and heat. Since it is only for a couple of weeks until I move it to a colocation, I am ok with the heat/noise.

Should we connect via a surge protector? Or is that unecessary?

I'd be in the same boat as you, but I didn't get one. ;(
Didn't think of tapping the dryer or unused electric range lines... kudos to the gurus. UR da Best!

Do that or swap for an unused Window Air Conditioner.
You just have to modify a common plug. Smiley
BigBossUSA

Activity: 31

View Profile
January 20, 2018, 02:05:17 AM

Can someone tell me if we can run these in a aprtment in the US? I believe we have 125 V 15 A breakers. But the APW++ PSU on bitmain site says that 110 V will only provide 1200 W ourput. Are we SOL? Will the bathroom or kitchen special outlets do any help?

You'll be able to power a single A3 on one of those circuits, but I wouldn't use a single APW3++. I'd go for the EVGA SuperNova 1600 G2 instead. We have a ton of customers who attempted to run the S9 with an APW3++ over 120v circuits and would often experience hashing boards that would just disappear until the next reboot. Moving to 220v circuits almost always fixes the issue permanently. The point is that the APW3++ will still attempt to output the full amount needed by the miner, but the power will likely be less consistent and you'll also be increasing your fire hazard risk. If you insist on using the APW3++, then get 2 of them and run some hashing boards on one and the rest on the other.

Thank you for the quick response. I ordered the APW3++ already along with the A3 Sad. I am also looking to use a colocation in a couple of weeks so I believe they will be able to accomodate the APW3++? Until then (1 to 2 weeks), I will have to run in my aprtment. Is it risky to run for even a short period of time? Am I risking low hashing and restart once in a while? Or am I risking to kill the miner or burn the house?

Also, can you post a link to a power cord to buy for the APW3++? I have spare ones that came with EVGA 750 BQ psus. One says 105 C 3 x 18 AWG (0.824 mm2) 300V. Other one says 60 C 3/c 18 AWG (0.824 mm2) 300 V. Are they good or bad to use with this?

Short answer: Its a new machine so no one can be sure. You can be the first to try it and let us know how it goes.

A3 consumes 1200W so you should be good with APW++ at 110V (I only run mine @240V). It takes any regular computer power cable (C13).
Do you have access to the breaker switch in case you trip it? If not then you have to take more care.

If you are really, really daring and are ok with voiding your warranty you can power up one or two boards instead of all 3.

When you power it up that first night treat it like a new born baby. Don't sleep. Just watch it hash away all night.

Good luck!

Yes, I do have access to the breaker. Yes, I am aware of noise and heat. Since it is only for a couple of weeks until I move it to a colocation, I am ok with the heat/noise.

Using a surge protector IS a good idea. Bitmain's miners are afraid of two things:

1. Dust.
2. Voltage drops/rises.
barracuda420

Activity: 16

View Profile
January 20, 2018, 02:17:44 AM

Don't forget #3...
Cats...
Be catproof and youre golden. FTW
eth_mining

Activity: 95

View Profile
January 20, 2018, 03:12:52 AM

Didn't think of tapping the dryer or unused electric range lines... kudos to the gurus. UR da Best!

No free electric range line Sad And no window AC options in my apartment.

Using a surge protector IS a good idea. Bitmain's miners are afraid of two things:

1. Dust.
2. Voltage drops/rises.

Should i buy something like this to use in my dryer plug?

https://www.amazon.com/AC-Connectors-14-30P-Welder-adapter/dp/B06XGQ951H/

It's damn expensive though.

The GFCI outlet in the kitchen and bathroom are not 220 V, right? Just regular 125 V 15 A I assume? Using one of those is no different from using a regular outlet?
bigassboy

Activity: 373
Merit: 254

View Profile
January 20, 2018, 03:18:05 AM

Just received my tracking for the A3.
badger88

Activity: 83

View Profile
January 20, 2018, 03:23:44 AM

No free electric range line Sad And no window AC options in my apartment.

1. Dust.
2. Voltage drops/rises.

Should i buy something like this to use in my dryer plug?

https://www.amazon.com/AC-Connectors-14-30P-Welder-adapter/dp/B06XGQ951H/

It's damn expensive though.

The GFCI outlet in the kitchen and bathroom are not 220 V, right? Just regular 125 V 15 A I assume? Using one of those is no different from using a regular outlet?

Yeah, no idea why those wires cost so much -low demand probably-& we just get the cheap fluctuating 120-140V
normal outlet: normal garbo 120v power

you better find a way to vent that heat out lol ;p
BenRickert

Activity: 420
Merit: 110

View Profile
January 20, 2018, 03:27:58 AM

Good luck!

1. Dust.
2. Voltage drops/rises.
I would put "heat" above voltage surge. They are not too comfortable inhaling their own hot exhaust gasses. Ventilation is critical. 250 CFM minimum evacuation.

You only live once....if you do it right, once is enough.

Excellent FAQ for Lightning Network https://medium.com/@AudunGulbrands1/lightning-faq-67bd2b957d70
eth_mining

View Profile
January 20, 2018, 03:29:55 AM

When and what time did you order?
VoskCoin

Activity: 1414
Merit: 487

YouTube.com/VoskCoin

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2018, 04:12:20 AM

Here are my thoughts on the recent SIAcoin / antminer a3 / obelisk tech sc1 development if anyones interested

https://youtu.be/ADK6SUGfb6w

Check out my Crypto YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/VoskCoin
If you enjoy my content click Subscribe
eth_mining

View Profile
January 20, 2018, 04:32:22 AM

I would put "heat" above voltage surge. They are not too comfortable inhaling their own hot exhaust gasses. Ventilation is critical. 250 CFM minimum evacuation.

I have 2 rigs (12 GPU) totaling 1800 W running in a room thats cool when window is open (since its winter and snowing now). If A3 is 1200 W, I assume it will be 66% of heat generated by my GPU rig setup? Or will it emit more heat than what I assume?
apelpapa

Activity: 2

View Profile
January 20, 2018, 04:56:23 AM

you can use your stove or laundry hookups, those are higher voltage ...220 - just get a splitter wire
(also if power is included in your rent... that helps rofl)

bitmain site says not to use 2 PSUs on that same piece of hardware - I wouldnt risk it

They said not to use more than one PSU on a single board. The device has 3 boards.
hardworker27

Activity: 58

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2018, 05:04:56 AM

Oh dear, seems that from now on I have to change from dual mining to ETH only Sad

Still trying to sell my D3s Sad
rummy

Activity: 86
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 20, 2018, 05:59:28 AM

i got the email from Bitmain on shipping too but on further looking they only shipped the power supply first, no A3 yet
floppydisk

Activity: 92
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 20, 2018, 06:38:04 AM

A3 printers already shipped, some will within next few days. Thanks Bitmain.
Tidsdilatation

Activity: 518
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2018, 06:43:32 AM

The insane thing here is the schedualed shipping time. WITHIN 10 DAYS!!!! Congratulations on everyone who got the first batch, you will make alot of money with it. Might even be very good for second batch buyers since first batch sold out first day. That must mean that there were not THAT many to start with.
bigassboy

Activity: 373
Merit: 254

View Profile
January 20, 2018, 07:19:15 AM

When and what time did you order?
Initial batch, 14:36 to be exact..
mady_qt

Activity: 84

View Profile
January 20, 2018, 07:22:12 AM

Just received tracking info for my 6 pcs A3 miners. The shipment is still not picked up by DHL.
davemanet

Activity: 336
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 20, 2018, 07:38:04 AM

Anyone have regret not buying it?

I had it in my cart but thought twice knowing bitmain...... I'm still not sure if I regret it or not haha.
dlezama

Activity: 140
Merit: 17

View Profile
January 20, 2018, 07:40:14 AM

Anyone have regret not buying it?

I had it in my cart but thought twice knowing bitmain...... I'm still not sure if I regret it or not haha.
I had it on my cart, and no crypto available to pay. So I guess I need to regret first not leaving money easily available for an opportunity. Then I'd like to have one on order, it would be nice to have a batch 1, I haven't so far. But I wouldn't expect huge gains, who knows how many they sold. It must also be frustrating to see your profit go down rapidly every day.
c-none

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 20, 2018, 09:27:34 AM

Just received the tracking no for my A3. Nice job.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 »
  Print  

Jump to: