Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 01:08:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 »
  Print  
Author Topic: GPU mining will die in 2018!  (Read 16831 times)
fellahst

Activity: 45
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 02:26:46 AM

I don't think so, as they are algorithms that quite ASIC resistant. For example Scrypt was chosen because it is memory intensive and hard to be used with ASIC miners. The rationale is to democratize mining and making more fair and distributed instead of having concentrated to few large mining companies. There are also some coins that do not require mining such as IOTA. Mining may be a thing of the past actually.
gotminer

Activity: 644
Merit: 24

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 02:31:35 AM

I don't think so, as they are algorithms that quite ASIC resistant. For example Scrypt was chosen because it is memory intensive and hard to be used with ASIC miners. The rationale is to democratize mining and making more fair and distributed instead of having concentrated to few large mining companies. There are also some coins that do not require mining such as IOTA. Mining may be a thing of the past actually.

Lol@IOTA.  They can't even get their own shit to work.  Not sure why that shitcoin got pumped so much.  When I look at the top 20 as far as market cap, IOTA is one that I will never touch.

Ok, I want you to walk back in there and very calmly, very politely tell the risk assessors to fuck off! -Mark Baum
dennisch123

Activity: 131
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2018, 05:16:53 AM

GPU mining will die in 2019 for sure!

That's when ETH launches Proof of Stake.

All miners have to start mining shit coins, the market will get flooded, with the already highly inflated price / bubble state, all mineable ALT coins will lose 95% of their value.

Call yourself lucky if you live in a cold country as that's the only thing those GPU's will be good for.

Or you could start an internet gaming shop in Asia, not like there won't be thousands of them popping up all over the place Cheesy

Get real people, it's insane to spend $900-$950 on a 1070ti card (Amazon) or $1300 on a 1080ti (Amazon), these are just average prices I digged up.

But why we even care, everyone that started mining in 2017 will have made their money back, and by the time mining becomes unprofitable you better sell your alt coins real fast.

Why? Because everyone will, demand/supply will be completely out of line, forcing the market to experience its biggest crash ever.

As for BTC and ETH, those are one of the few coins that will keep their value. This crash will only apply to mineable coins.

Shoot me if I'm wrong!
Metroid (OP)

Activity: 2142
Merit: 353

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 05:50:17 AM

All miners have to start mining shit coins, the market will get flooded, with the already highly inflated price / bubble state, all mineable ALT coins will lose 95% of their value.

Call yourself lucky if you live in a cold country as that's the only thing those GPU's will be good for.

Or you could start an internet gaming shop in Asia, not like there won't be thousands of them popping up all over the place Cheesy

Get real people, it's insane to spend $900-$950 on a 1070ti card (Amazon) or $1300 on a 1080ti (Amazon), these are just average prices I digged up.

But why we even care, everyone that started mining in 2017 will have made their money back, and by the time mining becomes unprofitable you better sell your alt coins real fast.

Why? Because everyone will, demand/supply will be completely out of line, forcing the market to experience its biggest crash ever.

As for BTC and ETH, those are one of the few coins that will keep their value. This crash will only apply to mineable coins.

Shoot me if I'm wrong!

Welcome to the forums and very good first post and I believe that June 2018 - June 2019 is eth's year.

BTC Address: 1DH4ok85VdFAe47fSVXNVctxkFhUv4ujbR
matthewy159

Activity: 7

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 05:57:48 AM

I really dont think GPU mining will die anytime soon due to there being so many new coins launched that require proof of work.
The mining also add's a layer of security onto the coins framework.

Yes some of the bigger coins like ethereum will move onto proof of stake, but it's not in the bigger coins that you make your money on. It's the smaller coins that will boom is where you make your money.

As the GPU hardware get much stronger and more powerful, all the more reason to have proof of work with mining.
As of now, the current hardware out now is more than capable of solving blocks really quickly. Ethereum has slowed down the rewards per miner as they do not want the coins to be distributed that quick to the market.
Sircheat

Activity: 42

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2018, 07:29:21 AM

Uhm.. No I don't think so! Help even cpu mining is holding on😎
ikicha

Activity: 788
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 01:01:24 PM

many coins are asic resitant and many others will come out. mining with gpu wont die trust me

Every month new coin with ASIC RESISTANCE is out
Asic resistance algo is ethash, equihash, neoscrypt and others
Gpu mining is very smart decision to make it decentralized
I totally agree with you man!
Simtap

Activity: 2

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 02:08:02 PM

I really dont think GPU mining will die anytime soon due to there being so many new coins launched that require proof of work.
The mining also add's a layer of security onto the coins framework.

Yes some of the bigger coins like ethereum will move onto proof of stake, but it's not in the bigger coins that you make your money on. It's the smaller coins that will boom is where you make your money.

As the GPU hardware get much stronger and more powerful, all the more reason to have proof of work with mining.
As of now, the current hardware out now is more than capable of solving blocks really quickly. Ethereum has slowed down the rewards per miner as they do not want the coins to be distributed that quick to the market.

More coins will be released with ASIC resistant properties. That mean the GPU mining will continue for long time.
leonix007

Activity: 1008
Merit: 297

Grow with community

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 02:35:26 PM

Shoot me if I'm wrong!

Welcome to the forums and very good first post and I believe that June 2018 - June 2019 is eth's year.

Oh dear, I keep asking myself, why I am not mining Eth for the past couple of months, the answer is it is not only the profitable coin to be mined. Cheesy

so I don't bother when eth goes to POS
cable_loco

Activity: 35
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 04:10:13 PM

This is becoming stupid anyway you look at or into, something will happen this year, nvidia or amd could kill gpu mining if they want, asics manufactures can kill gpu mining anytime. People could kill gpu mining with stupidity, there are many ways gpu mining can be killed this year. Trust me I'm worried and you should do.

Ok, dad.  Good talk.  Yeah this thread is becoming stupid, because you keep posting non-sense without anything to back it up.  And then you start spinning your wheels again.  And then you cry and say something else that doesn't make sense.

I'll begin worrying when there is a legit reason to worry about my own mining farm and right now, there is no reason.  I don't give a fuck what an idiot who buys a overpriced gpu is doing.  That's his bad judgement and lose in the end, if it doesn't work out.  

Yep Nvidia and AMD could kill mining this year ... If they both go out of business.  Do you think they will just shut their doors, because they have an opinion on a specific large group of people who are buying their products?  NOPE!  Shareholders won't allow that.  Do you think the board of directors at Nvidia gives a fuck where the money is coming from?  They don't.  They care that it is flowing in and that is their only concern.  Do you know anything about how big business works?  NOPE ... You don't.  It's just you and your thoughts in your padded room with your tin foil hat spewing little bits of garbage that most people will never see.  

I honestly do feel sorry for you.  Your life must be total shit.  But you shouldn't give up.  Keep on fighting the good fight.  I've had family members go through the same sort of medial conditions that you are probably going through.  If you are strong enough, you won't hurt yourself.  Remember ... There is help out there.  You are not alone, Metroid.  In case you need it, here's the number for the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline in the United States ... 1-800-273-8255.  If you are outside of the USA, all you have to do is google it.  We care about you, buddy.

You're more full of it than the OP, Nvidia just contacted every store on the planet and told them not to sell GPUs to miners. So yes nvidia does care where the money comes from. With Jews you always lose.

LOL, I just placed an order with a big computer retailer here in the UK for another batch of 16 GPU's at very competitive price, in fact they advertise on the web 1 gpu per person, when I called and talked to sales rep, told them I needed 16 gpu for a mining rig he immediately took my payment and process my order.

All of that NVIDIA nonsense its just PR to please the media. at the end NVIDIA/AMD can not police end customer retail sales and as someone explained before, all shareholders care is liquidity (GPU sales) and not some salty gamer/miner whining about high gpu prices.

gotminer

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 12:21:21 AM

This is becoming stupid anyway you look at or into, something will happen this year, nvidia or amd could kill gpu mining if they want, asics manufactures can kill gpu mining anytime. People could kill gpu mining with stupidity, there are many ways gpu mining can be killed this year. Trust me I'm worried and you should do.

Ok, dad.  Good talk.  Yeah this thread is becoming stupid, because you keep posting non-sense without anything to back it up.  And then you start spinning your wheels again.  And then you cry and say something else that doesn't make sense.

I'll begin worrying when there is a legit reason to worry about my own mining farm and right now, there is no reason.  I don't give a fuck what an idiot who buys a overpriced gpu is doing.  That's his bad judgement and lose in the end, if it doesn't work out.  

Yep Nvidia and AMD could kill mining this year ... If they both go out of business.  Do you think they will just shut their doors, because they have an opinion on a specific large group of people who are buying their products?  NOPE!  Shareholders won't allow that.  Do you think the board of directors at Nvidia gives a fuck where the money is coming from?  They don't.  They care that it is flowing in and that is their only concern.  Do you know anything about how big business works?  NOPE ... You don't.  It's just you and your thoughts in your padded room with your tin foil hat spewing little bits of garbage that most people will never see.  

I honestly do feel sorry for you.  Your life must be total shit.  But you shouldn't give up.  Keep on fighting the good fight.  I've had family members go through the same sort of medial conditions that you are probably going through.  If you are strong enough, you won't hurt yourself.  Remember ... There is help out there.  You are not alone, Metroid.  In case you need it, here's the number for the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline in the United States ... 1-800-273-8255.  If you are outside of the USA, all you have to do is google it.  We care about you, buddy.

You're more full of it than the OP, Nvidia just contacted every store on the planet and told them not to sell GPUs to miners. So yes nvidia does care where the money comes from. With Jews you always lose.

LOL, I just placed an order with a big computer retailer here in the UK for another batch of 16 GPU's at very competitive price, in fact they advertise on the web 1 gpu per person, when I called and talked to sales rep, told them I needed 16 gpu for a mining rig he immediately took my payment and process my order.

All of that NVIDIA nonsense its just PR to please the media. at the end NVIDIA/AMD can not police end customer retail sales and as someone explained before, all shareholders care is liquidity (GPU sales) and not some salty gamer/miner whining about high gpu prices.

Exactly.  Perhaps the core of the company cares about it.  But large shareholders outside of that very small core simply do not give a shit about anything other than the numbers.  They became a large shareholder, because they expect that number to increase.  And to the guy who said "You Always Lose With Jews" ... Lol ... Jewish businessmen are some of the greediest bastards I've met in my life.  And I don't mean that in a bad way, I have nothing against Jewish people, but there is a certain level of greed that they have. 

And then down the line to retailers.  There is just no way for NVIDIA or AMD to enforce it.  Just as you've outlined in your experience ... Call them up and tell them what you want.  No problem, if they have that quantity in stock.  It's cheaper for them to sell 16 to one person then it is to sell 16 to 16 people.

I also believe it to be a PR move to satisfy the gaming community.  Large retailers aren't really price gouging either.  I think it's less about high prices and more about stock at reasonable prices.

Ok, I want you to walk back in there and very calmly, very politely tell the risk assessors to fuck off! -Mark Baum
radeone

Activity: 169
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2018, 12:23:27 AM

You read this over and over. Even siacoin is changing algos to fight the asics coming out from bitmain. I doubt it will become extinct but most likely shift to other coins.

ICO IS NOW LIVE    ▐┃▌    1WORLD ONLINE    ▐┃▌    WHITEPAPER
✣ ✣ ✣ ┃ Revolutionizing ONLINE MEDIA with BLOCKCHAIN TECHNOLOGY and incentives for AUDIENCE ENGAGEMENT™ ┃ ✣ ✣ ✣
ANN \ / TELEGRAM \ / FACEBOOK \ / WHATSAPP \ / TWITTER \ / KAKAOTALK
Viecoin

Activity: 852
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 12:44:51 AM

I'm sure there will always be a gpu mine-able algo. Besides innovation being a coin prerequisite since 2014, there is a direct correlation between the creation of an ASIC for a particular hashing algo and the previous gpu popularity on that algo. The gpu is necessary for ASIC to exist.
Digital Drug Lord

Activity: 294
Merit: 12

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 01:04:17 AM

Atomic swap might make things obsolete. What's going to happen when nobody wants to deal with exhange and the fees and getting robbed when you can atomic swap for free?

What happens when the volume drops on the exchange? Price of coin goes down
gotminer

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 01:05:16 AM

I'm sure there will always be a gpu mine-able algo. Besides innovation being a coin prerequisite since 2014, there is a direct correlation between the creation of an ASIC for a particular hashing algo and the previous gpu popularity on that algo. The gpu is necessary for ASIC to exist.

That's an interesting way to look at it. 

notbatman
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1038

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 07:32:22 AM

Exactly.  Perhaps the core of the company cares about it.  But large shareholders outside of that very small core simply do not give a shit about anything other than the numbers.  They became a large shareholder, because they expect that number to increase.  And to the guy who said "You Always Lose With Jews" ... Lol ... Jewish businessmen are some of the greediest bastards I've met in my life.  And I don't mean that in a bad way, I have nothing against Jewish people, but there is a certain level of greed that they have.  

And then down the line to retailers.  There is just no way for NVIDIA or AMD to enforce it.  Just as you've outlined in your experience ... Call them up and tell them what you want.  No problem, if they have that quantity in stock.  It's cheaper for them to sell 16 to one person then it is to sell 16 to 16 people.

I also believe it to be a PR move to satisfy the gaming community.  Large retailers aren't really price gouging either.  I think it's less about high prices and more about stock at reasonable prices.

The poster above may have been able to smooth talk his way into a rig full of nvidia GPUs I wasn't so lucky, the sales clerk ran off and told his manager I wanted a batch of those cards. When he came back he told me to fuck off even though they didn't advertise a limit. I had to get amd rx550's with shitty fans.
jpucela14

Activity: 357
Merit: 251

SWISSREALCOIN - FIRST REAL ESTATE CRYPTO TOKEN

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 07:58:37 AM

GPU mining consumes too much power. I also think that is time for PoS coins to make PoW projects obsolete.

There is noe need for so much energy. Sunny King showed us how it works without PoW. ;-)

Metroid (OP)

Activity: 2142
Merit: 353

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 08:08:43 AM

GPU mining consumes too much power. I also think that is time for PoS coins to make PoW projects obsolete.

There is noe need for so much energy. Sunny King showed us how it works without PoW. ;-)

Do not tell that out loud, east European countries will send a hitman to hunt you to the ends of earth,  mining is the only way they make money there, if you take that away from them it will mean serious consequences.

Funny eth's lead dev is Russian and he knows what will mean eth going to pos to east European people. Last time he said eth network was consuming more electricity than Estonia. Damn, that is a lot, I tell you.

BTC Address: 1DH4ok85VdFAe47fSVXNVctxkFhUv4ujbR
vlad230

Activity: 616
Merit: 279

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 08:26:09 AM

I think this defeats the whole purpose of the decentralized coin idea and it will not be allowed to die.

I think the future of crypto currency is in the coins that are ASIC resistant or for coins that strive to be ASIC resistant, like someone was saying BTG is trying to avoid ASICs as much as possible.

I think everyone is aware of the fact that the BTC network has become very congested (transactions are being processed very slow) thus sellers are starting to keep away from it.
I mean even the bitcoin conference did not accept btc as a form of payment. That tell us something right?

My opinion is that if Btc was still minable by everyone then this issue would not be occuring anymore.

zerocoolvn

Activity: 12

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 08:59:56 AM

Nah it won't.

There are plenty of ASIC resistant coins to mine profitably with your GPUs.

ASIC devices will just be a part of the mining market. Most of miners are using GPU rigs, because if you're bored with mining, you can just sell your GPUs for gamers.

A bunch of ASIC devices is already obsolete, nobody wants it and it's not profitable anymore.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 »
  Print  

Jump to: