Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 07:20:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [CLOSED] Design a physical Bitcoin - (CONTEST IS CLOSED)  (Read 21586 times)
SimonBelmond

Activity: 226
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 08:22:01 AM

Finished obverse and reverse, with antiqued and non-antiqued versions.

I like how you compare the blockchain and germline (depicted as DNA). As a Biologist I always see a lot of parallels between the two.

i don't see a blockchain, let alone DNA (triple helix). Tongue

You see the double helix comming from the leaf. The Bitcoin is in the middle of the coin. The little things around it which look like stamps are the blocks. The blocks are connected by a chain, therefor I figured its a blockchain. The chain might actally be the merkel tree or whatever ties the blocks together. So the coin is in the middle, secured by the blockchain. The DNA runs around it sybolizing life which emraces bitcoin and the blockchain. At least that is how I interpreted it. Maybe acorn had something totally different in his mind.
acorn

Activity: 121

I make pretty things.

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2013, 08:44:34 AM

Finished obverse and reverse, with antiqued and non-antiqued versions.

http://i40.tinypic.com/e6bwqq.jpg

I like how you compare the blockchain and germline (depicted as DNA). As a Biologist I always see a lot of parallels between the two.

i don't see a blockchain, let alone DNA (triple helix). Tongue

You see the double helix comming from the leaf. The Bitcoin is in the middle of the coin. The little things around it which look like stamps are the blocks. The blocks are connected by a chain, therefor I figured its a blockchain. The chain might actally be the merkel tree or whatever ties the blocks together. So the coin is in the middle, secured by the blockchain. The DNA runs around it sybolizing life which emraces bitcoin and the blockchain. At least that is how I interpreted it. Maybe acorn had something totally different in his mind.

Thank you for the interest in my design. I really enjoyed reading your interpretation and it isn't far off from my original intent. It's really up to anyone's interpretation -- but the center helix and the leaf were an abstraction of a wild tansy flower (known in the Language of Flowers as a symbol of resistance and declaration against). The center flower portion also includes a blockchain. I just wanted to combine something living/organic and traditional with something more mechanical and abstract. Living things adapt to keep on living. Bitcoin isn't so different.

I think I'm speaking on behalf of all the participants here, but OP could you please give us an update? Whether or not you have decided to cancel, or need more time to choose, or need more time to get prize money, it would be nice to be kept in the loop as to why you haven't said anything.
mymenace
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1061

Smile

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 09:48:43 AM

another animation

large please wait

http://i39.tinypic.com/301gcnb_th.gif

Grin
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2013, 11:17:04 AM

If any "runners up" want theirs produced....or enhanced further... we can help with that.  Smiley
Some of these are really pretty good.

The best designs are sculpted and 3d scanned these days.  Coins are 3d not 2d and sharp vertical edges do not give a good feel when held in a hand.  This sharpness can even remove skin.
This scanning can also be done with actual objects.  (like those leaves gracing the left curve of the obverse of acorn's)

Generally sculpting then doing a cast in plaster is best, and then doing a mold, and then carving out the mold, and reversing it... you can go back and forth in this manner until you have it perfected.  There is a qualitative difference that is very difficult to reproduce with only a computer.
Computer only designs tend to be sharp, and it is difficult to get the sort of soft grace and majesty that some of the most famous coin designs are known for.   I am delighted by the amount of quality art that this contest is producing.

The earliest coin designers are among the first artists whose names survive to today.
Most sculptors of that period did not sign their work and other art was more transient and didn't survive.  But some of the earliest coinmakers did mark theirs thousands of years ago.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
mymenace
Legendary

Smile

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 09:28:12 AM

again large file due to high quality

http://oi43.tinypic.com/2vi3zgn.jpg

Grin
miffman
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1005

PGP ID: 78B7B84D

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 09:48:18 AM

I wonder if OP stole all these ideas and decided to claim it as his own  Huh

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
BitBlender 

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
acorn

I make pretty things.

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2013, 11:18:41 AM

OP, if we don't hear back from you by October 25th, I will be withdrawing my design from the contest to pursue its production through other means.  Undecided

Hope to hear from you before then.
cryptasm
Legendary

Activity: 997
Merit: 1002

Gamdom.com

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2013, 02:03:24 PM

Think the OP just wanted some free publicity  Grin
jasinlee

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

Its as easy as 0, 1, 1, 2, 3

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 07:54:32 PM

Shocker.

BTC 1JASiNZxmAN1WBS4dmGEDoPpzN3GV7dnjX DVC 1CxxZzqcy7YEVXfCn5KvgRxjeWvPpniK3                     Earn Devcoins Devtome.com
ingrownpocket
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 09:19:16 PM

SCAM accusation: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=316370
mymenace
Legendary

Smile

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 03:05:57 AM

Re did artwork even though OP is missing

http://postimg.org/image/iofxwntcz/

Grin
cyclops
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 09:50:52 PM

Remember, if you post a design and want to get paid, watermark it in a way it can't be stolen.
monbux
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2013, 10:04:00 PM

OP was last online on Okt. 16th. His site should've been launched also, so I guess the deal is off.

He was on today too.
Did anyone try PMing him, or is he just totally ignoring everyone?
To all you designers, I hope all of you guys added a watermark to your entries.
acorn

I make pretty things.

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2013, 01:21:54 AM

OP was last online on Okt. 16th. His site should've been launched also, so I guess the deal is off.

He was on today too.
Did anyone try PMing him, or is he just totally ignoring everyone?
To all you designers, I hope all of you guys added a watermark to your entries.

I sent an email October 9th. Have not heard back.
SimonBelmond

Activity: 226

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 04:05:42 AM

I feel very sorry for you guys/gals. Sucks a lot. I hope someone else will see all the hard work and great idears and wants to realize one/some of them.
acorn

I make pretty things.

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2013, 01:28:55 PM
Last edit: November 22, 2013, 06:25:37 AM by acorn

I am withdrawing my submission to pursue the production of my coins elsewhere.

Might as well throw it back in. I have other designs in production now Smiley

CoinHoarder (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 08:24:43 PM

I apologize everyone. I have been very busy and hadn't had anytime to reply here or choose a winner. In fact, I believe there is still a design someone has done that I haven't even seen yet. A winner will be chosen and they will be paid. I will try to get with that designer this weekend so I can start to compare all the designs.

Thanks,

Ch
miffman
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1005

PGP ID: 78B7B84D

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 09:27:38 PM

Phew! Thank goodness OP is still here. I still wanted one of his physical litecoins

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
BitBlender 

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
ingrownpocket
Legendary

View Profile
October 26, 2013, 09:58:30 AM

I apologize everyone. I have been very busy and hadn't had anytime to reply here or choose a winner. In fact, I believe there is still a design someone has done that I haven't even seen yet. A winner will be chosen and they will be paid. I will try to get with that designer this weekend so I can start to compare all the designs.

Thanks,

Ch
After you choose a winner, and send the bounty, I'll close the SCAM accusation.
ingrownpocket
Legendary

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 12:50:22 PM

bump
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: