Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 10:14:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 »
  Print  
Author Topic: The problem with atheism.  (Read 38410 times)
C10H15N

Activity: 811
Merit: 1004

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 04:40:43 PM

No.  Atheism is not a religion and it is not a belief.  This is a point theists seem incapable of comprehending. 

Only when the tide goes out do you discover who's been swimming naked. -Warren Buffett
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
PrintMule

Activity: 980
Merit: 500

FREE $50 BONUS - STAKE - [click signature]

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 05:14:33 PM

What God(s) are best to worship? There are so many to choose from, how does one go about deciding?

Why even bother? Go with Zen Buddhism.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████▀▀▀        ▀▀█████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████▀    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄    ███████████████████████████████████████████████
█████    ▄█████████▌   ▐█████▀  ▐███████████████▌  ▀██████████████████
████▌   ▐██████████    █████    ████████████████    ██████████████████
████▌   ▐█████████▄▄▄▄█████▌   ▐███████████████▌   ▐███▀▀█████████████
█████    ▀███████████████▀▀        ▄███████████    ██▀   ▐████████████
██████▄     ▀▀███████▀▀         ▄▄███▀▀▀▀█████▌   ▐▀   ▄███▀▀   ▀█████
█████████▄▄     ▀▀███▄  ▄▄    ████▀    ▄   ███       ▄███▀   ▄█  ▐████
█████████████▄▄     ▀████▌   ▐███▀   ███   ██▌      ████    ██▀  █████
██████▀▀   ▀█████▄    ███    ████   ███▌  ▐██    ▌  ▐██▌      ▄▄██████
█████    ▄████████    ▐██    ██▀▀   ██▀   ▐▀    ▐█   ██▌   ▀██▀▀  ████
████▌   ▐████████▀    ███▄     ▄▄▄     ▄    ▄   ▐██   ██▄      ▄▄█████
████▌   ███████▀    ▄███████████████████████████████▄  ▀▀██████▀▀ ████
█████    ▀▀▀▀     ▄█████████▀    ▀█▀    ▀█       ▀████▄▄         ▄████
██████▄▄    ▄▄▄▄████████████  █████  ██  █  █  █  ████████████████████
█████████████████████████  █▄    ▄█▄    ▄█  █  █  ████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█  ▄▀▄             █▀▀▐▀▄▄
█  █▀█             █  ▐  ▐▌
█       ▄██▄       █  ▌  █
█     ▄██████▄     █  ▌ ▐▌
█    ██████████    █ ▐  █
█   ▐██████████▌   █ ▐ ▐▌
█    ▀▀██████▀▀    █ ▌ █
█     ▄▄▄██▄▄▄     █ ▌▐▌
█                  █▐ █
█                  █▐▐▌
█                  █▐█
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀█
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀█▄
▄█▀    ▄▀█████▀     ▀█▄
▄█▄    █        ▀▄   ███▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▄       ▄▀▀▀▀▀███▄
████      ▀▄▄▄▄▄▀       ███
███     ▄▄███████▄▄     ▄▀█
█  ▀▄ ▄▀ ▀███████▀ ▀▄ ▄▀  █
▀█   █     ▀███▀     ▀▄  █▀
▀█▄▄█▄      █        █▄█▀
▀█████▄ ▄▀▀ ▀▀▄▄ ▄▄███▀
▀█████        ████▀
▀▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀▀
● OVER 1000 GAMES
● DAILY RACES AND BONUSES
● 24/7 LIVE SUPPORT
crumbs

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 05:17:25 PM

No.  Atheism is not a religion and it is not a belief.  This is a point theists seem incapable of comprehending.  

Atheism is a religion for at least the people protesting that it is not.  I don't believe in the Easter Bunny, but my lack of belief doesn't drive me to denounce His existence at every opportunity, or pwn Bunny Believers Undecided
C10H15N

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 05:31:24 PM

LOL - I doubt you have to deal with delusional bunny believers trying to shove their holy rabbit turds down your throat at every opportunity.   Grin

Only when the tide goes out do you discover who's been swimming naked. -Warren Buffett
crumbs

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 05:35:43 PM

LOL - I doubt you have to deal with delusional bunny believers trying to shove their holy rabbit turds down your throat at every opportunity.   Grin

Dude, you don't even know...

the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 05:37:37 PM

It's amazing to me how few people realize that most of the 'big' questions in life can be known through what is directly evident at all times...and it really doesn't take a genius by any stretch of the imagination to figure out the correct answers.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 07:31:13 PM

Yes and Atheism is also a religion. I quite sure some of you have noticed it already.  Grin
So atheism is a religion? A religion without a God or a supernatural force of any kind? That would mean it is not a religion. I don't go to an atheist church, and atheists are not looking for converts to keep our mega church in gold.
I have met a man in the Guatemalan jungles who fervently believed that the world rested on the back of a turtle. Yet, he laughed at city people for believing that God lived among the clouds. "You can't stand on a cloud", he explained. "They are just water and cannot support your weight". It was easy for him to see the impossibility of a God he did not believe in, but he was completely blind to his own superstitions. That is religion.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
crumbs

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 07:58:18 PM

Yes and Atheism is also a religion. I quite sure some of you have noticed it already.  Grin
So atheism is a religion? A religion without a God or a supernatural force of any kind? That would mean it is not a religion. I don't go to an atheist church, and atheists are not looking for converts to keep our mega church in gold.
I have met a man in the Guatemalan jungles who fervently believed that the world rested on the back of a turtle. Yet, he laughed at city people for believing that God lived among the clouds. "You can't stand on a cloud", he explained. "They are just water and cannot support your weight". It was easy for him to see the impossibility of a God he did not believe in, but he was completely blind to his own superstitions. That is religion.

Semantics.

re·li·gion
n.
a. Belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers regarded as creator and governor of the universe.
b. A personal or institutionalized system grounded in such belief and worship.
2. The life or condition of a person in a religious order.
3. A set of beliefs, values, and practices based on the teachings of a spiritual leader.
4. A cause, principle, or activity pursued with zeal or conscientious devotion.

Atheism is not a perfect fit for the top definition, but it does fit (scientism -- deification of science and "rationality," a humorless kludge of rationalism and empiricism).
The bottom two are a better fit, with #4 being descriptive of the militant a[nti]theists in this thread.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 08:05:15 PM

Yes and Atheism is also a religion. I quite sure some of you have noticed it already.  Grin

Semantics.

re·li·gion
n.
a. Belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers regarded as creator and governor of the universe.
b. A personal or institutionalized system grounded in such belief and worship.
2. The life or condition of a person in a religious order.
3. A set of beliefs, values, and practices based on the teachings of a spiritual leader.
4. A cause, principle, or activity pursued with zeal or conscientious devotion.

Atheism is not a perfect fit for the top definition, but it does fit (scientism -- deification of science and "rationality," a humorless kludge of rationalism and empiricism).
The bottom two are a better fit, with #4 being descriptive of the militant a[nti]theists in this thread.
I guess definition #4 can cover an atheist who is a zealot about it. Of course that would put many of us in the religion of bitcoinism, inshallah.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
zeroday
Donator

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 08:10:59 PM

Your mind is God. It generates a universe around you. Your birth is creation of the world and your end is the end of the world. Amen.

C10H15N

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 08:34:15 PM

...Of course that would put many of us in the religion of bitcoinism, inshallah.

And others see bitcoin as a wonderful, exciting experiment that we have the opportunity to be a part of.   Grin

crumbs

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 08:37:25 PM

...Of course that would put many of us in the religion of bitcoinism, inshallah.

And others see bitcoin as a wonderful, exciting experiment that we have the opportunity to be a part of.   Grin

Ex... p... PERIMENT?!  Blasphemy! Angry 
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 08:39:14 PM

Your mind is God. It generates a universe around you. Your birth is creation of the world and your end is the end of the world. Amen.

This is the first time I've heard this one; very cool way of seeing it.

the joint
Legendary

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 09:20:42 PM

This is the first time I've heard this one; very cool way of seeing it.

Really?  First time?  Wow.  Anyway, it's about half correct.
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 09:23:08 PM

Is that strange?  Maybe I've been hanging around the wrong people Tongue  Why's it only halfway correct?

the joint
Legendary

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 09:29:07 PM

Is that strange?  Maybe I've been hanging around the wrong people Tongue  Why's it only halfway correct?

It's correct that your mind is, essentially, a 'likeness' of god's mind, sort of like how if you cut 1/4 from a piece of holographic film you aren't left with 1/4 of the image, but 100% of the image at 1/4 size.

It's half correct in the sense that it doesn't explain the relationship between the likeness of god and god, nor does it describe anything about other stratified minds, nor does it acknowledge or describe the larger system of which both life and death are a part.

Most importantly, it doesn't describe the largest system, the 'set of all sets' so to speak which contains the syntax that governs all of these things.
Gimpeline

Activity: 555
Merit: 507

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 09:50:46 PM

We have had this magic guy in the sky theory  for a few thousend years now and so far no-one have come up with a single prof. Isn't it about time someone admiteded they are wrong?
C10H15N

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 10:02:57 PM

You grok "Thou art god".   Wink

the joint
Legendary

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 10:05:03 PM

We have had this magic guy in the sky theory  for a few thousend years now and so far no-one have come up with a single prof. Isn't it about time someone admiteded they are wrong?

...because god isn't a magic guy in the sky.  If you set god=truth then theists and atheists can search for truth together.  Hint: absolute truth is directly knowable.
zeroday
Donator

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 10:32:47 PM

It's correct that your mind is, essentially, a 'likeness' of god's mind, sort of like how if you cut 1/4 from a piece of holographic film you aren't left with 1/4 of the image, but 100% of the image at 1/4 size.

It's half correct in the sense that it doesn't explain the relationship between the likeness of god and god, nor does it describe anything about other stratified minds, nor does it acknowledge or describe the larger system of which both life and death are a part.

Most importantly, it doesn't describe the largest system, the 'set of all sets' so to speak which contains the syntax that governs all of these things.

And this assumption is also a product of your mind and is probably valid for your universe. But in others universes it may work a bit differently.
Actually, it can be interpreted as "a part of your mind can be likeness of deeper part of your mind which you call God".
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 »
  Print  

Jump to: