Bitcoin Forum
July 02, 2024, 01:45:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [CLOSED] Bitmine CoinCraft A1 28nm chip distribution / DIY support  (Read 81228 times)
totalslacker

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 10:59:58 PM

Having some trouble with getting 0x04 responce on the 0x04 reset command.
I'm doing the HW reset as described. The signals from raspi passed through level shifters.
Chip select DI CLK are ok. I see 0x04 passing into the chip but there is nothing at the output.
The VDDcore is 0.7 volts. Maybe it is too low?

That's pretty likely too low. I had similar issues when I was running the chip that low. 0.8V seems to be pretty reliable for at least basic comms for most chips. A couple wouldn't hash at that voltage but once I brought it up to about 0.84V they were fine.

Of course, now those chips run hotter than the others Smiley
totalslacker

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 11:15:30 PM

Thanks for feedback and good luck (you're almost there Wink)

Yeah, now I just gotta get it to go fast Smiley Well, and get it working with cgminer. Since I'm driving the parts with a micro controller I need to write a new cgminer driver to drive that…

Before going faster I need to get some cooling in there though. I noticed on your bring up page you mention keeping the temps below 50C. Is this a hard limit?

I was just doing a longer test where I kept all four chips completely busy with your test vector and verified that the correct nonces came out. Running at 240Mhz a couple of the chips did get a little hot. The two running at 0.8V stayed well below 50C but the two at 0.84V got up to about 61C.

No errors during the 12 minutes I ran the test. Theoretical hash rate is 32 * 240Mhz = 7.68GH/s and actual turned out to be 7.62GH/s.

But, how bad is it to run the chips that hot? Is that a might get bad results now and then or a might damage chips?

Thanks!
zulunation

Activity: 335
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 11:21:24 PM

I'm doing the HW reset as described. The signals from raspi passed through level shifters.
Chip select DI CLK are ok. I see 0x04 passing into the chip but there is nothing at the output.

That's pretty likely too low. I had similar issues when I was running the chip that low. 0.8V seems to be pretty reliable for at least basic comms for most chips. A couple wouldn't hash at that voltage but once I brought it up to about 0.84V they were fine.

I have just tested with 0.84V. Still no responce.
zefir mentioned earlier that at the startup chip is configured at 12MHz reference clock. And the SPI speed must not be > system clock. I wounder what is the PLL multiplier at the startup to calculate the system clock.
Or maybe it doesn't matter what SPI speed to use for initialization? I guess what i wrote above is applied to SPI speed between the chips not between uC and 1st chip.
Currently when i run cgminer i see 500khz SPI speed. Is that sufficient?
zefir (OP)
Donator

Activity: 919
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 11:34:36 PM
Last edit: February 19, 2014, 09:08:56 AM by zefir

This. The sample chips need 850mV min, not sure if the chips from the production batch are better suitable for down-volting - but obviously everybody is looking to up-volt them anyway Smiley

Before going faster I need to get some cooling in there though. I noticed on your bring up page you mention keeping the temps below 50C. Is this a hard limit?

I was just doing a longer test where I kept all four chips completely busy with your test vector and verified that the correct nonces came out. Running at 240Mhz a couple of the chips did get a little hot. The two running at 0.8V stayed well below 50C but the two at 0.84V got up to about 61C.

No errors during the 12 minutes I ran the test. Theoretical hash rate is 32 * 240Mhz = 7.68GH/s and actual turned out to be 7.62GH/s.

But, how bad is it to run the chips that hot? Is that a might get bad results now and then or a might damage chips?

No, it is not a hard limit but given to us by chip manufacturer during bring-up to exclude temperature as root-cause for troubles. And the 50°C were for heat-sink, so there should be some margin left.

If you reach the hot area, you'll notice invalid results first. What I noticed is a fail-safe behaviour (not sure if intended): if chip gets way too hot, it eventually will reset itself and stop working. With that, you corrupt the chain (that chip won't respond until after next HW-reset and re-enumeration), but it survives potential burnouts.

Wish I had such a burnout protection built-in Smiley

I have just tested with 0.84V. Still no responce.
zefir mentioned earlier that at the startup chip is configured at 12MHz reference clock. And the SPI speed must not be > system clock. I wounder what is the PLL multiplier at the startup to calculate the system clock.
Or maybe it doesn't matter what SPI speed to use for initialization? I guess what i wrote above is applied to SPI speed between the chips not between uC and 1st chip.
Currently when i run cgminer i see 500khz SPI speed. Is that sufficient?

The reset value for PLL multiplier is 800/12, i.e. with 12MHz ref clock chip is clocked at nominal 800MHz. As long as you do not hash, you do not need to modify the PLL register at all, even without proper cooling. The default SPI divider is 64, so you should measure 12.5MHz inter-SPI clock. Your host clock needs to be below that, which with 500kHz it is.

If you still don't get any feedback from the chip, please double check that the RSTn is kept at 1V8 for at least 1s before your first command to the chip.

Oh, and maybe to state the obvious: if you have a chip chain and you write a broadcast command, you need to send zeros to push the command to the last chip and back. See how the polling in the reference driver ensures to write enough data to get the commands through the chain.

end18

Activity: 40

View Profile WWW
February 19, 2014, 12:47:10 AM

This. The sample chips need 850mV min, not sure if the chips from the production batch are better suitable for down-volting - but obviously everybody is looking to up-volt them anyway Smiley

Oh... I tried it to use 0v7 ~ 0v765 for safe testing....

I see that why my chips return very small level signal...

Thank you Zefir, I'll try it in 0v85.
totalslacker

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 02:15:16 AM

zefir,

One other question here: are there known PLL settings for faster speeds?

I ran a quick test (submitting 101 jobs to the four chips as fast as they could take them and then checking that I got all six of my nonces out of each one) and things looked good (no errors and came out right at 25GH/s).

I need to run this for longer of course to be sure, but I need to get the cooling going for that.

I'd also like to try pushing the chip clock rate for a short run, perhaps seeing if I can get to the 40GH/s turbo mode. I assume that's computed based on a 1.25GHz system clock so for my 12Mhz reference clock I would need an effective multiplier of 104.

I tried manually running through your set_pll_config code for this but the result didn't come out so well (I might very well have done this incorrectly). I wasn't quite sure what the extents of the various fields are as the data sheet looks to be different to your code (and to the various PLL settings posted).

Thanks for your help!
silver71

Activity: 101
Merit: 10

no avatar for now

View Profile WWW
February 19, 2014, 02:32:36 AM
Last edit: February 19, 2014, 02:57:03 AM by silver71

Correctioin: Level Shifters mandatory
Well, as pure SW guy I can provide only limited HW related feedback, so please double check.

I have both a level shifter and the option to use an inline resistor to drop the 3.3V signal down to 1.8V on my test board similarly to how some Bitfury designs have implemented it. Have you investigated doing that, or just feeding 3.3V straight in?

I understood that the eval board used in China (the one you saw in the pictures) for testing has a level shifter for input and output signals, while Bitmine's boards use resistors to lower the input signals and a level shifter for the output signal (MISO) - seem to work both.

This seems to be true only for lower clock frequencies. As we approach the nominal clock range, the different delays within resistor network and integrated level shifter add up to a skew large enough to corrupt SPI communication. This is still being tested, but if you want to be on the safe side, use integrated level shifters for all signals to your uC (if its IO is not 1.8V).

Resitor tolerances for all chosen resistors for DIY 2xA1 PCB are 5% or worse. Such resistor tolarance makes driver software a difficult time to manage voltage levels on A1 since you don't know which one (voltage) will pop up and we talk second and third digit after decimal point of value.

Available resistor tolerances to choose from (parts), of course, much expensive but which might not trigger SPI corruption are  :

resistor parts with available tolerances :

+/-0.01%
+/-0.02%
+/-0.05%
+/-0.1%
+/-0.2%
+/-0.25%
+/-0.5%
+/-1%
+/-2%
etc...

Any of them would work better then components currently chosen for DIY PCB.

Also capacitors chosen, are even worse, since they have 10% & 20% tollerance.
Why ?

Capacitors (e.g. ceramic) with available tolerances exist :
+/- 0.05 pF
+/- 0.075 pF
+/- 0.075 pF
+/- 0.2 pF
+/- 0.25 pF
+/- 0.5%
+/- 1%
+/- 2%
+/- 2.5%
etc...

Would it be a much lesser problem to overclock the board and chips if we would deal with high grade components (with less tolerance and proper higher power rating for overclocking) ? I think - yes, and until that happens, sqeezing any more # from A1 would be magic.

There is also Tempreature coefficient for every professional component.

To choose from you have following TCs:

A,B, BG, BP, BR, BX, C, C0G, NP0, C0H, C0J, C0K, CH, D, E, F, H3M, M3K, N1500, N2000, N2200, N2500, N2800, N4700, N750, P2G, P2H, P3K, P90, R, R2H, R3A, R3L, S2H, S3B, S3L, S3N, SL, SL/GP, T2H, U2J, U2M, X5E, X5F, X5P, X5R, X5S, X5U, X5V, X6S, X6T, X6R, X7R, X7S, X7T, X7U, X8G, X8L, X8R, X8Y, 5F, Y5P(B), Y5R, Y5S, Y5U (E), VF, Z4V, Z5P , Z5T, Z5U, Z5V, ZM 

Can anyone address this ?

smart solutions from Tesla's home country...
Cheshyr

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 04:06:08 AM

Or, you could use a level shifter.

Re: capacitance...  Monte Carlo simulations, spice models, and rough prototypes don't take that long, and designing for worst case removes much of the complexity.  High accuracy tolerances can be mitigated by buying a larger cap in many cases, or paralleling cheap large and cheap small caps.

The reference design is a foundation and guideline; I doubt it was meant to do all the engineering for you.  Most of the tradeoffs are going to have to be engineering decisions by the person designing the board.
justroll

Activity: 16

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 06:42:02 AM

tdk has a excellent reference doc concerning decoupling.

i think X7R 20% is a good standard for the things you need to do.

the dev /proto board is using a range of overscaled items.  I hear that bitmine had some issues with their protoboard upfront regarding  decoupling & thermal issues.

ref :

http://www.digikey.co.il/Web%20Export/Supplier%20Content/TDK_445/PDF/TDK_ESR_Controlled_MLCCs.pdf?redirected=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Rrgdi843Dec
http://www.pcbcarolina.com/images/01_pcb_power_decoupling_myths_debunked.pdf
http://www.cdnusers.org/community/allegro/Resources/resources_pcbsi/si/tp_zhen_capacitors.pdf
BenTuras

Activity: 826
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 07:06:39 AM

If you still don't get any feedback from the chip, please double check that the RSTn is kept at 18V for at least 1s before your first command to the chip.
I think you mean 1.8V !

I am selling in stock OneStringMiner boards, based on the Bitfury chips. Have a look here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=495536.0
zulunation

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 08:34:52 AM

If you still don't get any feedback from the chip, please double check that the RSTn is kept at 18V for at least 1s before your first command to the chip.
I think you mean 1.8V !

Sure 1.8V.
But from the datasheet it states that signal is active low. So it must be kept for 1s 0V. Or do you mean that after it goes 0V for 1s it must be kept at 1.8V for another 1s before first command?
zefir (OP)
Donator

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 10:21:06 AM

I think you mean 1.8V !

Sure 1.8V.
But from the datasheet it states that signal is active low. So it must be kept for 1s 0V. Or do you mean that after it goes 0V for 1s it must be kept at 1.8V for another 1s before first command?

Reset is low active, you need to drive it low for at least 1s, then drive it to 1V8 and keep it stable there. Give the chip 1s before you send the first command, see the pseudo code snippet you referred to here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=294235.msg5205169#msg5205169

I tried manually running through your set_pll_config code for this but the result didn't come out so well (I might very well have done this incorrectly). I wasn't quite sure what the extents of the various fields are as the data sheet looks to be different to your code (and to the various PLL settings posted).

Assuming you have a 12MHz ref clock, try this:
  • set pll_postdiv and pll_prediv to 2
  • set fbdiv to (target_sys_freq / 3), i.e. you can set your sys_clock in increments of 3MHz, with fbdiv being 9 bit you can go to 1.5+GHz

Code:
reg[0] = 0x84 | (fbdiv >> 8)
reg[1] = fbdiv & 0xff

silver71

no avatar for now

View Profile WWW
February 19, 2014, 04:50:26 PM

Or, you could use a level shifter.

Re: capacitance...  Monte Carlo simulations, spice models, and rough prototypes don't take that long, and designing for worst case removes much of the complexity.  High accuracy tolerances can be mitigated by buying a larger cap in many cases, or paralleling cheap large and cheap small caps.

The reference design is a foundation and guideline; I doubt it was meant to do all the engineering for you.  Most of the tradeoffs are going to have to be engineering decisions by the person designing the board.

I will use the following analogy :

Here is some stuff Cointerra has as an issue with their SPI corruption, with their power supplies and with their board :

NOTE FROM Power-One POWER SUPPLY MANUAL :

Note: Care must be taken when using ceramic capacitors with a total capacitance of 1 µF to 50 µF on output V1, due to their
high quality factor the output ripple voltage may be increased in certain frequency ranges due to resonance effects.

However even though Cointerra uses 2x1100 and Bitmine uses 1x3000 PS, this excerpt note is from Power-One manual for 3 KW power supply.

The similar (but not the same case), probably could happen with Bitmine Coincraft power suppply...efects on SPI :

http://www.power-one.com/sites/power-one.com/files/documents/power/datasheet/bcd_00297_aa_pfe3000-12-069ra_datasheet.pdf

zulunation

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 06:10:40 PM

I have connected oscilloscope to the DO pin. On power up it shows 0.82V const. The Vddcore is 0.84V.
When cgminer is running it is still 0.82 const.

Does anyone saw such level?
BuTaJIu4eK

Activity: 115

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 09:51:26 PM

Message to people who came from http://bitmine.ch/ !!!  Undecided
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=291141.new#new
P.S. I'm sorry!
totalslacker

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 01:30:32 AM

Assuming you have a 12MHz ref clock, try this:
  • set pll_postdiv and pll_prediv to 2
  • set fbdiv to (target_sys_freq / 3), i.e. you can set your sys_clock in increments of 3MHz, with fbdiv being 9 bit you can go to 1.5+GHz

Code:
reg[0] = 0x84 | (fbdiv >> 8)
reg[1] = fbdiv & 0xff

Thanks zefir!

That looks to work very well. Unfortunately my hashing test is hitting some errors at anything much over 800Mhz.

I don't see chips dropping out or bad results being produced, just that nonces are missed. My code checks for all six nonces in sequence for each job issued (all four chips are run simultaneously and the job queue is kept as full as possible).

I don't think the nonce queue is overflowing as I'm issuing the read result command very frequently (and then checking chip status for finished jobs). I will get a bunch of no results and then a chip reports a nonce that has skipped a previous result.

I haven't looked at power at the board level at all yet - hopefully that's the issue. I think this board is running a little low on the voltage front so hopefully I can clean things up with that.

The good news is that I did get it to run at up to 1.25Ghz (40GH/s). About two-thirds of the nonces were dropped but it successfully ran the test (101 jobs) to completion.

My SPI frequency is a little low (think it's around 250Khz) but I wouldn't expect that to cause issues unless it were so low that the nonce queues couldn't be serviced frequently enough?
zefir (OP)
Donator

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 10:39:07 AM

That looks to work very well. Unfortunately my hashing test is hitting some errors at anything much over 800Mhz.

I don't see chips dropping out or bad results being produced, just that nonces are missed. My code checks for all six nonces in sequence for each job issued (all four chips are run simultaneously and the job queue is kept as full as possible).

I don't think the nonce queue is overflowing as I'm issuing the read result command very frequently (and then checking chip status for finished jobs). I will get a bunch of no results and then a chip reports a nonce that has skipped a previous result.

I haven't looked at power at the board level at all yet - hopefully that's the issue. I think this board is running a little low on the voltage front so hopefully I can clean things up with that.

The good news is that I did get it to run at up to 1.25Ghz (40GH/s). About two-thirds of the nonces were dropped but it successfully ran the test (101 jobs) to completion.

My SPI frequency is a little low (think it's around 250Khz) but I wouldn't expect that to cause issues unless it were so low that the nonce queues couldn't be serviced frequently enough?

For 1.25GHz to work stable, you will need extreme cooling. Once the initial stress is over, I plan to develop a stackable 16-chip board for a submerged setup. A 10 PCB stack will fit into one liter - 160 chips ran at 40GHps, or 6.4TH in-a-box. But for heatsink cooling 1.25GHz is definitively a challenge.

As for the work / result pipelining: luckily, with input and output queues the job feeding and collecting of results is de-coupled, leaving you the freedom to find a good trade-off between their priorities. We dimensioned the output queue based on statistics collected from mining sessions which resulted in 99.9% of all jobs have 4 or less results.

If you run the A1 at nominal speed (800MHz), it will crunch the nonce range in ~160ms. That is, if every 160ms you collect the results and feed new jobs, you should get 99.9% of all potential results. To catch all results of a job with more than 4 winning nonces, you need to poll for results in-between, i.e. check every 80ms and you reduce loosing the 5th result significantly. Obviously, you can't cover all potential use cases and prevent loosing results: assume you have a job with 5 winning nonces that happen to be very close to each other - the chip will spit them out before you have time to collect. But the chances for that are negligible.

Bottom line: if you feed the chip at least every nonce period (e.g. 160ms at 800MHz) and check for jobs every half nonce period, you should be on the safe side.

As for SPI clock, I made some theoretical considerations here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=294235.msg4554508#msg4554508

-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4144
Merit: 1638

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2014, 10:40:14 AM

Code merged into master cgminer, thanks.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
silver71

no avatar for now

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2014, 11:10:08 AM

For 1.25GHz to work stable, you will need extreme cooling. Once the initial stress is over, I plan to develop a stackable 16-chip board for a submerged setup. A 10 PCB stack will fit into one liter - 160 chips ran at 40GHps, or 6.4TH in-a-box. But for heatsink cooling 1.25GHz is definitively a challenge.

As for the work / result pipelining: luckily, with input and output queues the job feeding and collecting of results is de-coupled, leaving you the freedom to find a good trade-off between their priorities. We dimensioned the output queue based on statistics collected from mining sessions which resulted in 99.9% of all jobs have 4 or less results.

If you run the A1 at nominal speed (800MHz), it will crunch the nonce range in ~160ms. That is, if every 160ms you collect the results and feed new jobs, you should get 99.9% of all potential results. To catch all results of a job with more than 4 winning nonces, you need to poll for results in-between, i.e. check every 80ms and you reduce loosing the 5th result significantly. Obviously, you can't cover all potential use cases and prevent loosing results: assume you have a job with 5 winning nonces that happen to be very close to each other - the chip will spit them out before you have time to collect. But the chances for that are negligible.

Bottom line: if you feed the chip at least every nonce period (e.g. 160ms at 800MHz) and check for jobs every half nonce period, you should be on the safe side.

As for SPI clock, I made some theoretical considerations here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=294235.msg4554508#msg4554508

Why 16, when you already have ref.design for 8, and 8 is easier to cool...

Even when you think about immersion cooling, if enything goes wrong, your whole chain (16) goes offline...

Wouldn't it then be smarter to stick with 8 ?

zefir (OP)
Donator

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 11:52:22 AM

Why 16, when you already have ref.design for 8, and 8 is easier to cool...

Even when you think about immersion cooling, if enything goes wrong, your whole chain (16) goes offline...

Wouldn't it then be smarter to stick with 8 ?

16 was just a number I pulled from thin air Smiley

As for the technical challenge: with the experience collected so far, I'd say once you have an 8-chip chain working, it is not a huge step to move to 16 chips. At least from the A1 side, I don't understand the DCDC part of it to state it would be easy.

The immersion cooling idea follows DaT's approach here, where due to the high costs of the fluid it is essential to stuff as much hashing power into as little volume as possible. I think one could get a 4x4 A1 matrix onto a 10x10cm^2 PCB and stack them with 1cm distance. Resulting in a 6kW burner in a 1 liter cube.

That would be more of a fun than a serious project and I proposed this to be added as a challenge for Bitmine's planned design contest - which for obvious reasons was put at the back of the priority queue and might never leave the announcement phase Sad

Takers? I'd supply the chips and the fluid.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 »
  Print  

Jump to: