Bitcoin Forum
May 19, 2024, 12:08:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Linux is such a horrible OS (for casual users)  (Read 7012 times)
jarhed (OP)

Activity: 672
Merit: 254

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 12:07:47 AM

At least with windows, all the commands are neatly packaged in a .exe.

In Linux, just as with alt-crap coins, everyone has a version. Debian, Suse, BT, Ubuntu, etc.
pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 12:15:04 AM

(...) everyone has a version. Debian, Suse, BT, Ubuntu, etc.

Yes, and that's a great point in favor of GNU/Linux...

jarhed (OP)

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 12:19:35 AM

So, you support all crap/alt-coins then?
dragonkid

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 12:24:00 AM

In Linux, just as with alt-crap coins, everyone has a version. Debian, Suse, BT, Ubuntu, etc.

yeah and lots of fragmentation in your hard drive, and broken registry in your Windows OS.

There are 2 main packages in Linux, deb and rpm. Also if you can only find either one, you can easily convert it to and from deb or rpm.

Windows don't even have centralised package management system. So I don't understand how you can say it is neatly packaged.

pedrog
Legendary

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 12:27:02 AM

Linux distributions aren't connected with each other, everybody can have their own distribution and everything works fine, it's nice to have choices.

Alt-coins, or as many of them are scam-coins, are also good for the crypto-coin ecosystem, for testing new features, being 51%ed, and so on...

jarhed (OP)

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 12:29:18 AM

yeah and lots of fragmentation in your hard drive, and broken registry in your Windows OS.

There are 2 main packages in Linux, deb and rpm. Also if you can only find either one, you can easily convert it to and from deb or rpm.

Windows don't even have centralised package management system. So I don't understand how you can say it is neatly packaged.

I'm not a Dev. Just a casual user.
If I want to play Mp3, all I have to do is double click to install. Done. < a minute I'm enjoying music.
dragonkid

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 12:31:39 AM

Linux distributions aren't connected with each other, everybody can have their own distribution and everything works fine, it's nice to have choices.

Also to add to that, Windows and Mac both are limited in customization. You can only do so much in them, just change the wallpaper, screensaver, and some icon. But in Linux, there are so many windows manager, so you can change it how you like it look. http://www.howtogeek.com/163154/linux-users-have-a-choice-8-linux-desktop-environments/

jarhed (OP)

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 12:32:12 AM

Alt-coins, or as many of them are scam-coins, are also good for the crypto-coin ecosystem, for testing new features, being 51%ed, and so on...

Yea, and only hackers use Linux Roll Eyes Alt-coins add nothing new, they're all trying to re-hash Satoshi's work.
dragonkid

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 12:38:57 AM

If I want to play Mp3, all I have to do is double click to install. Done. < a minute I'm enjoying music.

You are missing the point, centralised package management system, can do update for all your software which are on your computer. In Windows, there is windows update which only update Microsoft software. To update your other stuff like latest drivers, latest version of what ever application you use, you need to download them from a site and install it again. So Linux is much easier for the causal user. You just click update, and it update your entire computer.

What do you mean if you want to play MP3, all you need to do is double click to install??  Huh MP3 is a music file, for it to install unless it is a Malware hidden in your MP3 file.

jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1255

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 12:40:08 AM

I just hate the fact Linux assumes I have all the time in the world.

And it doesn't help there's really no tech support. Just try this command, no?, then try this, no?!!....well try entering blah. Cheesy

Linux are for those who literally has no life outside a machine.

Bitcoin better worth all this crap. Freaking Satoshi. I was quiet happy with my Windows. Angry
Try
Code:
man man
And this: http://askubuntu.com/

It took me a while to get fluent with Linux but I won't get back to Windows unless I need it for some exotic reason.
This

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
jarhed (OP)

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 12:44:34 AM

You are missing the point, centralised package management system, can do update for all your software which are on your computer. In Windows, there is windows update which only update Microsoft software. To update your other stuff like latest drivers, latest version of what ever application you use, you need to download them from a site and install it again. So Linux is much easier for the causal user. You just click update, and it update your entire computer.

What do you mean if you want to play MP3, all you need to do is double click to install??  Huh MP3 is a music file, for it to install unless it is a Malware hidden in your MP3 file.

Granted,
Code:
apt-get update
is awesome, but that's about the only thing easier for the casual user.

In Windows, an app is installed to play Mp3, or just use the default with proper codec.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12998

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 12:47:38 AM

That is not a pure Windows command. He added Linux commands in his system.

The Linux kernel doesn't come with sed, grep, etc., either.

Also there are no malware in Linux.

Malware does exist for Linux, though it's more rare. Desktop Linux installations are typically not more secure than Windows: in both cases, all of your GUI programs run under one user, and they can all access each other's memory (somewhat easier on Linux, AFAIK), log keystrokes, etc.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
gurcani

Activity: 167
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 12:50:35 AM

I wish you luck with trojans if you'll keep bitcoins in that machine my little troll friend...

Some people prefer a false sense of convenience and security over freedom. The others use linux and bitcoins to change the world.
jarhed (OP)

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 01:01:44 AM

I wish you luck with trojans if you'll keep bitcoins in that machine my little troll friend...

Some people prefer a false sense of convenience and security over freedom. The others use linux and bitcoins to change the world.

Linux isn't safe from a Java bot, so keep dreaming.
pedrog
Legendary

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 01:23:08 AM

Actually, you have to go to the program website you want to download, download the program, double click, click yes you want to install, click the agreement, click next a few times, click finish, something like that.

That can take a few minutes.

Or:

apt-get install rhythmbox

And 10 seconds later it's playing music, like I said, it takes a while to learn but after you get used to it, it's much more convenient.

jarhed (OP)

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 01:29:36 AM

Actually, you have to go to the program website you want to download, download the program, double click, click yes you want to install, click the agreement, click next a few times, click finish, something like that.

That can take a few minutes.

Or:

apt-get install rhythmbox

And 10 seconds later it's playing music, like I said, it takes a while to learn but after you get used to it, it's much more convenient.

Well, I guess you're right on that point.

Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 01:32:01 AM

I use them all. Main reason I still use Windows are exotic: Adobe Photoshop and CorelDraw. The alternatives aren't the same. Emulation is unworkable for real work.

And oh, I got this cute compiler I keep playing with. Exotic.

jarhed (OP)

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 01:51:02 AM

There was never sufficient reason to install Linux except now I mine btc and the universe is telling me I have to know Linux.

I do admit, antihooking Windows process was starting to get annoying. Nothing moves on my system without my knowledge.

pedrog
Legendary

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 01:56:37 AM

There was never sufficient reason to install Linux except now I mine btc and the universe is telling me I have to know Linux.

I do admit, antihooking Windows process was starting to get annoying. Nothing moves on my system without my knowledge.

If you don't use software that has no linux alternative or you're not a gamer, I'd say the transition can be quick.

Check http://alternativeto.net/ for alternatives for the stuff you use.

gurcani

Activity: 167
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 02:04:30 AM

Linux isn't safe from a Java bot, so keep dreaming.

windowz isn't safe from a java bot either. And it is not safe from a whole bunch of other things.

In any case, it is the freedom that is the primary issue. not security.

Here is my hero vs. yours if you will:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFMMXRoSxnA
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: