Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 12:31:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Linux is such a horrible OS (for casual users)  (Read 7012 times)
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 05:22:41 PM

Your opinion is incorrect.
Opinions can't be "incorrect".
Your signature is.

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
r3wt

Activity: 686
Merit: 504

always the student, never the master.

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 05:28:29 PM

Your signature is.

ziiiiiiing

My negative trust rating is reflective of a personal vendetta by someone on default trust.
Nik1ab

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

freedomainradio.com

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 05:37:30 PM

Your signature is.
What do you mean?

No signature ad here, because their conditions have become annoying.
clock27

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 06:21:02 PM

LOL as long as its not apple im happy Smiley

manfred
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1001

Energy is Wealth

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 07:19:24 PM

There is always room for improvements but i am for ever grateful as Linux saved me once. Long live the Penguin.
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3262
Merit: 4110

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 07:32:45 PM

LOL as long as its not apple im happy Smiley

That's true. I have had used one of my mates Mac and I thought it was  dreadful. Very limiting.
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 10:21:01 PM

iOS has to be jailbroken.
Android has to be rooted.
Linux is already root.

lophie

Activity: 924

Unlimited Free Crypto

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 12:23:34 AM

sudo endofdiscussion | 'linux rules'

When I "su", you all listen to your root.

Will take me a while to climb up again, But where is a will, there is a way...
r3wt

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 12:25:46 AM

sudo endofdiscussion | 'linux rules'

When I "su", you all listen to your root.

you have to enter your password or it don't count Cheesy

My negative trust rating is reflective of a personal vendetta by someone on default trust.
Mooshire

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 12:37:57 AM

I would be using linux right now, if not for some key points:

I am a gamer, and most of my games are exclusively Windows.

I use a crappy off-brand TV as a monitor, and it overscans, maybe I just don't know how to fix this problem on linux, but I can't see any of the important stuff on the sides or top.

It's a steep learning curve. A little too steep for me to just jump into with all I already have set up on windows.

If I could get past my crappy hardware and games, I'd be willing to take a few weeks/months/years to actually learn to use Linux. But it's just not the best option for me atm.

r3wt

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 12:51:15 AM

Profound thoughts with r3wt:

In terms of security, Linux is like a 17th century castlle. It surrounded by a moat with heavily fortified walls and every gate and window is barred. but every so often, the roof of tower springs a leak, where inside a simple skeleton lock stands between you and your prize.

Windows on the other hand, is like a tiki bar where you are free to come and go as you please, but upon entering you are immediately passed through an xray machine, your pupils are checked for signs of a virus, your record is pulled, and you are quaranteed while the management decides if you are safe to be there or not, ultimately leaving the mysterious user-god-being to decide if you shall be allowed to stay and present yourself or if you shall be expelled from the tiki bar. should you try to break something or go somewhere you shouldn't be, you are immediately detained by the slaves of the user-god-being and questioned thoroughly and listed of your offenses. the user-god-being, may naively forgive you your tresspasses and you may continue to thieve under his nose.

jarhed (OP)

Activity: 672
Merit: 254

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 12:55:40 AM

The fact is, Linux is synonymous with alt-coins............now I have TinyCoreLinux in my VMware, like WTF!?, do I really need another Distro/alt-coin....?

r3wt

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 12:58:33 AM

The fact is, Linux is synonymous with alt-coins............now I have TinyCoreLinux in my VMware, like WTF!?, do I really need another Distro/alt-coin....?

hey i like TCL. i'm gonna put it on all the old laptops i buy and use it for compiling. it'll be much nicer to compile in the comfort of the recliner instead of slaving away at my desk in front of frakenstein(thats what i named my desktop because its old case was all hacked to bits so the mobo would fit.)

Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 01:01:50 AM

I read somewhere that Linux is a tank, and Windows are cheap 2 or 4 door sedans. I think it's the Cathedral Bazaar linux story or something. Or maybe it was Cryptonomicon.

The analogy between cars and operating systems is not half bad, and so let me run with it for a moment, as a way of giving an executive summary of our situation today.

Imagine a crossroads where four competing auto dealerships are situated. One of them (Microsoft) is much, much bigger than the others. It started out years ago selling three-speed bicycles (MS-DOS); these were not perfect, but they worked, and when they broke you could easily fix them.

There was a competing bicycle dealership next door (Apple) that one day began selling motorized vehicles--expensive but attractively styled cars with their innards hermetically sealed, so that how they worked was something of a mystery.

The big dealership responded by rushing a moped upgrade kit (the original Windows) onto the market. This was a Rube Goldberg contraption that, when bolted onto a three-speed bicycle, enabled it to keep up, just barely, with Apple-cars. The users had to wear goggles and were always picking bugs out of their teeth while Apple owners sped along in hermetically sealed comfort, sneering out the windows. But the Micro-mopeds were cheap, and easy to fix compared with the Apple-cars, and their market share waxed.

Eventually the big dealership came out with a full-fledged car: a colossal station wagon (Windows 95). It had all the aesthetic appeal of a Soviet worker housing block, it leaked oil and blew gaskets, and it was an enormous success. A little later, they also came out with a hulking off-road vehicle intended for industrial users (Windows NT) which was no more beautiful than the station wagon, and only a little more reliable.

Since then there has been a lot of noise and shouting, but little has changed. The smaller dealership continues to sell sleek Euro-styled sedans and to spend a lot of money on advertising campaigns. They have had GOING OUT OF BUSINESS! signs taped up in their windows for so long that they have gotten all yellow and curly. The big one keeps making bigger and bigger station wagons and ORVs.

On the other side of the road are two competitors that have come along more recently.

One of them (Be, Inc.) is selling fully operational Batmobiles (the BeOS). They are more beautiful and stylish even than the Euro-sedans, better designed, more technologically advanced, and at least as reliable as anything else on the market--and yet cheaper than the others.

With one exception, that is: Linux, which is right next door, and which is not a business at all. It's a bunch of RVs, yurts, tepees, and geodesic domes set up in a field and organized by consensus. The people who live there are making tanks. These are not old-fashioned, cast-iron Soviet tanks; these are more like the M1 tanks of the U.S. Army, made of space-age materials and jammed with sophisticated technology from one end to the other. But they are better than Army tanks. They've been modified in such a way that they never, ever break down, are light and maneuverable enough to use on ordinary streets, and use no more fuel than a subcompact car. These tanks are being cranked out, on the spot, at a terrific pace, and a vast number of them are lined up along the edge of the road with keys in the ignition. Anyone who wants can simply climb into one and drive it away for free.

Customers come to this crossroads in throngs, day and night. Ninety percent of them go straight to the biggest dealership and buy station wagons or off-road vehicles. They do not even look at the other dealerships.

Of the remaining ten percent, most go and buy a sleek Euro-sedan, pausing only to turn up their noses at the philistines going to buy the station wagons and ORVs. If they even notice the people on the opposite side of the road, selling the cheaper, technically superior vehicles, these customers deride them cranks and half-wits.

The Batmobile outlet sells a few vehicles to the occasional car nut who wants a second vehicle to go with his station wagon, but seems to accept, at least for now, that it's a fringe player.

The group giving away the free tanks only stays alive because it is staffed by volunteers, who are lined up at the edge of the street with bullhorns, trying to draw customers' attention to this incredible situation. A typical conversation goes something like this:

Hacker with bullhorn: "Save your money! Accept one of our free tanks! It is invulnerable, and can drive across rocks and swamps at ninety miles an hour while getting a hundred miles to the gallon!"

Prospective station wagon buyer: "I know what you say is true...but...er...I don't know how to maintain a tank!"

Bullhorn: "You don't know how to maintain a station wagon either!"

Buyer: "But this dealership has mechanics on staff. If something goes wrong with my station wagon, I can take a day off work, bring it here, and pay them to work on it while I sit in the waiting room for hours, listening to elevator music."

Bullhorn: "But if you accept one of our free tanks we will send volunteers to your house to fix it for free while you sleep!"

Buyer: "Stay away from my house, you freak!"

Bullhorn: "But..."

Buyer: "Can't you see that everyone is buying station wagons?"

jarhed (OP)

Activity: 672
Merit: 254

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 01:07:49 AM

hey i like TCL. i'm gonna put it on all the old laptops i buy and use it for compiling. it'll be much nicer to compile in the comfort of the recliner instead of slaving away at my desk in front of frakenstein(thats what i named my desktop because its old case was all hacked to bits so the mobo would fit.)

Yea, I kinda like TCL. Grin
lophie

Activity: 924

Unlimited Free Crypto

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 01:33:39 AM

Don't get overexcited guys. Installing bitcoind on TCL is kinda frustrating....

Will take me a while to climb up again, But where is a will, there is a way...
bitcoindigi

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 05:39:02 AM

except for 5 steam games and some crappy wine support nothing huge changed in the linux gaming world. it's sad, but I won't use linux until they concentrate on the core problem for casuals
Nik1ab

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

freedomainradio.com

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 10:28:49 AM

except for 5 steam games and some crappy wine support nothing huge changed in the linux gaming world. it's sad, but I won't use linux until they concentrate on the core problem for casuals
*198 Steam games

No signature ad here, because their conditions have become annoying.
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3262
Merit: 4110

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 10:56:59 AM

They do have a lot more than 5 steam games available now. Or do you mean only 5 games you like? Linux is adapting and creating a much more user friendly place for the gaming industry.

It's the developers who have to code specific for Linux, not the other way around.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]  All
  Print  

Jump to: