Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 07:44:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] [XMV] MoneroV - Fork 1:10 of Monero - Finite coin supply - Private  (Read 45767 times)
ingo49

Activity: 147
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 15, 2018, 10:24:25 PM

So anybody tried to use the guiwallet ?!
Any comment ?!

Works great. Not flaw-less, but great.
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ingo49

View Profile
May 15, 2018, 10:26:58 PM

Obviously this guy has an ulterior motive for coming in here and using large fonts to try and scare users away from MoneroV. Obviously, everyone should be careful and if you did any research at all about forks before investing in this one, you would already know to transfer your Monero out of your wallet before using your keys to access your MoneroV. The MoneroV website itself advises you to do this...although I doubt that the fool posting this garbage would take the time to read the MoneroV website. This is the first fork I have ever participated in. After some reading, I bought Monero with a new un-used wallet for privacy reasons, and then sold my Monero before I even downloaded the MoneroV wallet, so I had no risk at all...easy.

Basically, all privacy issues are debunked and are a non-issue after replay protection and the monerov team applied the monero patch.
They recommend using a new wallet for your own safety (in case for example, if you have downloaded a phishing wallet).

There is ZERO risk claiming monerov if you have downloaded the real wallet.
denish

Activity: 172

View Profile
May 16, 2018, 03:26:14 AM

So anybody tried to use the guiwallet ?!
Any comment ?!

Yes, I used it Smiley

I still have the issue with the 1:10 / 1:1 but after a test with transfer from/into Altex exchange, it's working well (I have ~4211 XMV but my Monerov Gui shows 421.1 but no problem when transfering...)
Blazin

Activity: 44

View Profile
May 16, 2018, 04:42:04 AM
Last edit: May 16, 2018, 05:14:12 AM by Blazin

Blazin, if you stop the daemon and restart, it will probably connect to some different peers who may have more of the chain downloaded. It took me like 4 days to sync the first time, but my balance was wrong. I deleted the db file, re-imported my wallet a different way, and then re-synced (with different peers), and it only took a day the second time.

I tried that several times today. Unfortunately, it didn't help. Thanks for trying though.

I did some research today and found out that lowering the block sync size sometimes helps with sync issues. This can especially be true for people with slow internet. I was getting a lot of SYNCHRONIZATION started messages in Monerovd and very few updates on my sync progress. Apparently SYNCHRONIZATION started can indicate that the current block download timed out and was restarted. My internet is relatively slow, so that might explain the problem I was having.

The default block sync size is 20, which already seems small enough to me. I didn't think it would help, but using --block-sync-size 10 actually made a huge difference! I'm syncing much faster now. Grin

TuffNuff

Activity: 12

View Profile
May 16, 2018, 07:52:36 AM

Hi All,

Bit of an amateur question but I have a Kraken account and bitcoins on this exchange are ticker XBT and on Coinex bitcoins are under ticker BTC. I didn't realise there were different ticker symbols for bitcoin?
Also, I emailed Coinex to ask about sending Bitcoins (XBT) from Kraken to my Coinex account to buy XMV's but got this message in reply:

"Thanks for contacting CoinEx support.
BTC address is ONLY available for BTC deposit. Minimum limit for each deposit is 0.0006. Any deposit below minimum limit or non-BTC deposit will NOT be added to your account and it is NOT refundable.
Therefore, I suggest you DON'T deposit non-BTC on BTC wallet of CoinEx.

Kind regards"

Can anyone explain this to me please and where can I buy BTC?

Thanks in advance!
xtraelv
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1924

฿ear ride on the rainbow slide

View Profile
May 16, 2018, 09:29:14 AM

Yet another noobie account MoneroV shill in various threads so thought I'd come to visit.   Grin   https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=1653730;sa=showPosts

If you plan to participate in this fork by WITHDRAWING MONERO TO YOUR OWN PRIVATE WALLET PRIOR TO THE FORK - make sure you are VERY CAREFUL.

Bitcoin gold endorsed a wallet that resulted in 3.3 million in real BTC being stolen.
https://news.bitcoin.com/bitcoin-gold-wallet-stole-private-keys-scooped-3-3-million/

Coinsecure exchange also lost around 3 Million that could be related to the fork.
"The note also elucidates that this loss is not a direct result of their infrastructure being compromised or hacked but instead it was due to their CSO Dr. Amitabh Saxsena extracting Bitcoin Gold from Bitcoin. And as a result, their CSO claimed that bitcoins were lost."
https://coinsutra.com/coinsecure-bitcoin-hack-theft/

You risk losing your real Monero for the opportunity to get a copy.

Users should be wary of the security risks involved in this fork. https://www.ccn.com/is-monerov-a-legitimate-hard-fork-of-monero/

The MoneroV team is anonymous, which limits the trust in MoneroV leadership. MoneroV requires Monero holders’ private keys to receive tokens from the airdrop, leaving many to question the safety and privacy of MoneroV’s launch.  MoneroV has recommended solutions to these risks, but many are convinced these issues should not have arisen in the first place. While the MoneroV project is open-source, the MoneroV wallet is not, meaning the wallet source code cannot be audited prior to launch.

You are a FUDge-packing, full of sh!t, shill.  F off with your disinfo.

It is all referenced with sources>. https://www.coindesk.com/airdrop-attack-coming-monero-fork-condemned-as-privacy-threat/

Source v profanities ? I think referenced source wins. If it wasn't just another unnecessary fork you wouldn't have to shill it everywhere.

Rather than addressing the concerns you make a personal attack. Unnecessary forks are a crypto cancer.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=1975349;sa=showPosts
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=1653730;sa=showPosts
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=1750519;sa=showPosts
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=1750497;sa=showPosts
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=1738359;sa=showPosts
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=1704255;sa=showPosts

We are surrounded by legends on this forum. Phenomenal successes and catastrophic failures. Then there are the scams. This forum is a digital museum.  
* The most iconic historic bitcointalk threads.* Satoshi * Cypherpunks*MtGox*Bitcointalk hacks*pHiShInG* Silk Road*Pirateat40*Knightmb*Miner shams*Forum scandals*BBCode*
Troll spotting*Thank you to madnessteat for my custom avatar hat.
xtraelv
Legendary

View Profile
May 16, 2018, 09:51:47 AM

Yet another noobie account MoneroV shill in various threads so thought I'd come to visit.   Grin   https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=1653730;sa=showPosts
[/b]

Obviously this guy has an ulterior motive for coming in here and using large fonts to try and scare users away from MoneroV. Obviously, everyone should be careful and if you did any research at all about forks before investing in this one, you would already know to transfer your Monero out of your wallet before using your keys to access your MoneroV. The MoneroV website itself advises you to do this...although I doubt that the fool posting this garbage would take the time to read the MoneroV website. This is the first fork I have ever participated in. After some reading, I bought Monero with a new un-used wallet for privacy reasons, and then sold my Monero before I even downloaded the MoneroV wallet, so I had no risk at all...easy.

I did read the website. https://monerov.org/

The whitepaper link on the MoneroV website actually directs to  the Cryptonote whitepaper.
https://cryptonote.org/whitepaper.pdf

We are surrounded by legends on this forum. Phenomenal successes and catastrophic failures. Then there are the scams. This forum is a digital museum.  
* The most iconic historic bitcointalk threads.* Satoshi * Cypherpunks*MtGox*Bitcointalk hacks*pHiShInG* Silk Road*Pirateat40*Knightmb*Miner shams*Forum scandals*BBCode*
xtraelv
Legendary

View Profile
May 16, 2018, 11:35:48 AM

MoneroV requires Monero holders’ private keys to receive tokens from the airdrop, leaving many to question the safety and privacy of MoneroV’s launch.  MoneroV has recommended solutions to these risks, but many are convinced these issues should not have arisen in the first place. While the MoneroV project is open-source, the MoneroV wallet is not, meaning the wallet source code cannot be audited prior to launch.
[/b]

That's false. This is like every fork, always remove your original coins to another safe wallet, before you try extract forks. You don't have to risk anything to use moneroV if you take precautions. If you don't do any precautions you'll have a short stay in crypto anyway.

https://www.deepdotweb.com/2018/01/31/leak-shows-us-army-nsa-compromised-tor-i2p-vpns-wants-track-monero/

https://www.reddit.com/u/Flailingborg made a very well explained comment on how this weakening the Monero blockchain would work:

The issue is the following. Let's say you are very careful. You make a fresh Monero wallet, send everything there. The fork happens. You transfer out your Monero in a transaction A using ring size 5 and real input 1 with decoys 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. Now you do claim your forked coins, again transferring them with ring size 5 and real input 1. Since decoys are selected randomly, this transaction will have different decoys 7, 8, 9, 10, 11. Now the NSA looks at both the Monero and the forked block chain. They will see these two transactions. They have the same key image, so they are easy to find. The will also see, that each uses 6 input, but 5 of them are different. That means that the real input must be 1. You may think that this is okay. It was just a throw-away wallet. However, this input of yours will be used as a decoy for the transactions of other people. Since the NSA now knows exactly where your input was actually used, they can remove it from the decoy sets of all those people. If many people claim their forked coins in this way, many many decoys become worthless in this way. This will allow the NSA to identify even more real inputs (for example they already know all the decoys of a transaction were already really used somewhere else), which then also become worthless as decoys. This means that everyone's privacy is negatively affected by the people who claim their forked coins.

JuanHungLo

Activity: 935
Merit: 1001

I don't always drink...

View Profile
May 16, 2018, 01:10:14 PM

xtraelv, that is NOT the issue.
I will refer to a post from over two months ago:
What do you all think of this?
This is the linked article in the post - https://medium.com/@tweetingpauls/beware-of-non-native-forks-of-monero-6f5a0bf1fccf

For me, the key part of the linked article is: "...but MoneroV operators might obtain a significant amount of knowledge about the contents of the Monero blockchain through users giving MoneroV their private keys."

So, what I guess the author of the post is saying is that we have a MORAL responsibility to NOT help (those factions of the US - as implied above by owlcatz.  Where do you find anything about the US?) who are trying to break the anonymity of Monero and that outweighs the making of some (potential) free money.

And, by logical extension, that outweighs whatever IMMORAL activities may have been paid for with Monero.

Kind of reminds me of the old comedic line, "I got mine, now you get yours."

No, sorry, but in my mind, if a valid method exists that exposes vulnerabilities in a system, in this case, Monero via a fork - using standard fork methodologies, then it MUST be followed for the development of the future.  If that means that all are exposed in the past, too bad.  Those who put their TRUST in such a system are fools because they didn't see this coming.  It is more important to accept that this may be a problem for de-anonymizing Monero and plan for the future accordingly.

Implying that one must oppose on moral grounds is antithetical.

It is clear from your post that you are concerned about the No Such Agency.  Rightly so.  So I'll repeat:  No, sorry, but in my mind, if a valid method exists that exposes vulnerabilities in a system, in this case, Monero via a fork - using standard fork methodologies, then it MUST be followed for the development of the future.  If that means that all are exposed in the past, too bad.  Those who put their TRUST in such a system are fools because they didn't see this coming.  It is more important to accept that this may be a problem for de-anonymizing Monero and plan for the future accordingly.

Bull markets are born on pessimism, grow on skepticism, mature on optimism, and die on euphoria. - John Templeton
xtraelv
Legendary

View Profile
May 16, 2018, 01:14:16 PM

xtraelv, that is NOT the issue.
I will refer to a post from over two months ago:
What do you all think of this?
This is the linked article in the post - https://medium.com/@tweetingpauls/beware-of-non-native-forks-of-monero-6f5a0bf1fccf

For me, the key part of the linked article is: "...but MoneroV operators might obtain a significant amount of knowledge about the contents of the Monero blockchain through users giving MoneroV their private keys."

So, what I guess the author of the post is saying is that we have a MORAL responsibility to NOT help (those factions of the US - as implied above by owlcatz.  Where do you find anything about the US?) who are trying to break the anonymity of Monero and that outweighs the making of some (potential) free money.

And, by logical extension, that outweighs whatever IMMORAL activities may have been paid for with Monero.

Kind of reminds me of the old comedic line, "I got mine, now you get yours."

No, sorry, but in my mind, if a valid method exists that exposes vulnerabilities in a system, in this case, Monero via a fork - using standard fork methodologies, then it MUST be followed for the development of the future.  If that means that all are exposed in the past, too bad.  Those who put their TRUST in such a system are fools because they didn't see this coming.  It is more important to accept that this may be a problem for de-anonymizing Monero and plan for the future accordingly.

Implying that one must oppose on moral grounds is antithetical.

It is clear from your post that you are concerned about the No Such Agency.  Rightly so.  So I'll repeat:  No, sorry, but in my mind, if a valid method exists that exposes vulnerabilities in a system, in this case, Monero via a fork - using standard fork methodologies, then it MUST be followed for the development of the future.  If that means that all are exposed in the past, too bad.  Those who put their TRUST in such a system are fools because they didn't see this coming.  It is more important to accept that this may be a problem for de-anonymizing Monero and plan for the future accordingly.

I agree - you do have a very valid point there. If it exposes a flaw then the flaw should be fixed. You could theoretically saturate the Monero network with lots of wallets and lots of small well timed transactions and achieve the same.

JuanHungLo

Activity: 935
Merit: 1001

I don't always drink...

View Profile
May 16, 2018, 01:33:12 PM

xtraelv,
Good, so please understand that FUD tactics will only get my ire up, and likely "name calling."  Your post, at least to me, seemed to try and pull a FUD tactic to get some to not participate in XMV.  That is no one else's business.  This is progress and this fork will result in better code for all cryptonight coins.  Mark my words.  Fear is a great motivator.

Bull markets are born on pessimism, grow on skepticism, mature on optimism, and die on euphoria. - John Templeton
ingo49

View Profile
May 16, 2018, 04:06:08 PM

xtraelv,
Good, so please understand that FUD tactics will only get my ire up, and likely "name calling."  Your post, at least to me, seemed to try and pull a FUD tactic to get some to not participate in XMV.  That is no one else's business.  This is progress and this fork will result in better code for all cryptonight coins.  Mark my words.  Fear is a great motivator.

Xtralev is talking nonsense with no basis. Man, you even read a little bit?

- Cryptonote is the white paper as it's the underlying protocol.
- MoneroV complied with a patch that resolves all privacy issues and included the shared ring database (“ringdb”) feature that was created by the Monero team.

Stop talking shit about things you do not know.
Ches82

Activity: 10

View Profile
May 16, 2018, 04:13:30 PM

To all hi, I can't send the second day from a purse to the exchange of a coin, gives an error message, the purse reinstalled doesn't help what to do???
Ches82

Activity: 10

View Profile
May 16, 2018, 04:48:34 PM

Can't create transaction: no connection to daemon. Please make sure daemon is running. This writes in attempt to send!!!
gweigster

Activity: 572
Merit: 106

View Profile
May 16, 2018, 05:51:09 PM

OkEx still didn't credit the users with MoneroV. Are there any official news I missed about this issue?
Did they announce a date?
I thought the mainnet went live on 14.05

Get BTC Cashback on hundreds of online shops:
https://stekking.com/register/eEzv2VLwBJWd8X4Z
for example: ebay, AliExpress, Expedia.com, Takeaway.com, Adidas, Microsoft, Lieferando, NordVPN, Lidl, Booking.com
hybridsole

Activity: 943
Merit: 783

In Memory of Zepher

View Profile
May 16, 2018, 06:15:32 PM

My wallet is synced, but the balance shows as HIDDEN.  I can see older transactions but it shows the XMV in the denomination as it was in XMR, not the 1:10 split. So, in other words if I had 1 XMR before the fork, it shows a transaction found containing 1 XMV. Is this how it should display?
xtraelv
Legendary

View Profile
May 17, 2018, 01:38:54 AM

xtraelv,

Xtralev is talking nonsense with no basis. Man, you even read a little bit?

- Cryptonote is the white paper as it's the underlying protocol.
- MoneroV complied with a patch that resolves all privacy issues and included the shared ring database (“ringdb”) feature that was created by the Monero team.

Stop talking shit about things you do not know.

I've said nothing that is untrue. Just because you don't like it doesn't make it untrue or nonsense. Everything is referenced with a source. It is typical for fanboys to blindly believe all the hype. When someone says something that is negative - it doesn't automatically make it FUD. Crypto isn't all about creating market spikes to make money. There is a social responsibility to make sure that people don't get ripped off. Scammers love noobs. Bitcoin gold shows how easy it is for people to get scammed. It doesn't necessarily make MoneroV a scam but rather the users are a target for scams (forks are easy targets for scammers) and people deserve to be warned about the potential danger.

A number of times I have warned people about specific coins or events -  I've been proven right many times . The message might be unpopular but that doesn't make it untrue.

Blazin

Activity: 44

View Profile
May 17, 2018, 06:47:19 AM

I think xtraelv might be trying to help, but he is acting more like a spammer with his crazy large fonts and brightly colored text.

I will sum up the only valid part of xtraelv and a few others' arguments in a nutshell.

Anyone claiming MoneroV with their private keys should take the liberty of moving their Monero to another wallet before entering the private keys into the MoneroV wallet. There, now there is no chance of losing your Monero. Potential problem solved.

So what if MoneroV turns out to be a scam? As long as you take the appropriate security precautions, you will not lose anything. Also, don't forget to make backups!

Can people please stop freaking out now?  Roll Eyes
TuffNuff

Activity: 12

View Profile
May 17, 2018, 07:03:56 AM

Hi All,

Bit of an amateur question but I have a Kraken account and bitcoins on this exchange are ticker XBT and on Coinex bitcoins are under ticker BTC. I didn't realise there were different ticker symbols for bitcoin?
Also, I emailed Coinex to ask about sending Bitcoins (XBT) from Kraken to my Coinex account to buy XMV's but got this message in reply:

BTC address is ONLY available for BTC deposit. Minimum limit for each deposit is 0.0006. Any deposit below minimum limit or non-BTC deposit will NOT be added to your account and it is NOT refundable.

Kind regards"

Thanks in advance!

Anyone?
denish

Activity: 172

View Profile
May 17, 2018, 07:08:31 AM

Hi All,

Kind regards"

Thanks in advance!

Anyone?

This thread is about the new currency MoneroV, you try to ask us something about BTC... try in another place ;-)
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 »
  Print  

Jump to: