Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 10:15:40 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 ... 74 »
  Print  
Author Topic: The Chili – 30+GH/s BFL based Bitcoin Miner Assembly  (Read 137687 times)
Bargraphics

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do.

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 01:36:47 AM

That. Is. AWESOME!

lol, I see you have some 750W PSU's dangling there, how many chilis do you run off each one?

again, I'm being serious, I really love the "art ghetto" design. I assume it's highly functional?  Cheesy

It is highly functional, these babies produce a lot of heat though!

We run 3 chilis off each of the PSUs, we could probably put 4 with no issues but better safe than sorry.
MrTeal (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 05:59:47 AM

BATCH 2 ANNOUNCEMENT
We now have our fixed date from the assembly house, about two weeks away on the 4th. It's a little later than we wanted, but it might be for the best as it will allow us to get every possible person who is interested a chance to get boards made up. Due to the economies of scale involved with these runs, smaller ones like batch two invariably cost more, and once this is done there will be even less chips out there. Because of that, Batch 2 will most likely be the last run of Chili boards we do baring something extraordinary happening. If you would like a Chili board, this is probably your last chance to do so.

As a consequence of this, we are also going to close orders early so that we can buy the proper numbers of parts without having to guess either run out or have big overages. Chips can come in later, but we will be needing a firm commitment to purchase boards by Wednesday the 23rd, and payment (or proof of payment in the case of a wire) by Friday the 25th. I really want things to be a little more orderly this time than the mad rush at the 11th hour to get chips from BFL that we had for Batch 1.

Cost - Assembly
If you provide the chips, the cost for assembly will be $350. I really don't want to have to raise the price, but the simple fact is that we're probably looking at several times lower volume on this run than the last, which really impacts our costs. Just the increase in cost from the assembly house almost covers that price increase.

Cost - Full boards
One benefit of the longer leadtime is that we can now offer fully populated boards. If you would like a Chili but have no chips on order, we can provide them for you. The cost of a fully populated Chili will be $700.

Shipping
We have two shipping providers, USPS and FedEx. For US customers, Priority Mail and Priority Mail Express will be available services, with FedEx being offered if you really want them quickly. For international customers, USPS Priority Mail Express will be offered in addition to FedEx. USPS GXG will no longer be offered due to the paperwork nightmare it brings.

As always, I am available at mrtealasic@gmail.com for orders or questions.
daemonfox

Activity: 630

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 11:52:31 AM

Just quick math that did not seem right...

$350 for a 2nd batch board... all good not a bad markup at all.

another $350 for people who don't own chips? That is only $43.75 per chip in an 8 chip chili... is that right? Though all the chips were $56 if you supplied them?

Not that I want anyone to have to pay more but when you first mentioned the 2nd batch board would be $350 I kinda anticipated you would sell fully populated Chilis at around $800.

Just making sure that $700 was not a typo.

H

¦¦¦                 
            ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦         
          ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦       
        ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦         
      ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦           ¦           
     ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦                     ¦¦   
    ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦    ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦        ¦¦¦¦ 
   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦    ¦¦¦¦¦¦
   ¦¦¦¦¦¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦    ¦¦¦¦¦  
   ¦¦¦¦¦    ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦ 
  ¦¦¦¦¦¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦ 
  ¦¦¦¦¦¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦              ¦¦¦¦¦¦
   ¦¦¦¦¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦    ¦¦¦¦¦¦
   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦    ¦¦¦¦¦ 
   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦    ¦¦¦¦¦¦ 
    ¦¦¦¦¦       ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦     ¦¦¦¦¦¦ 
     ¦¦                      ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦   
              ¦           ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦   
           ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦     
          ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦       
             ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦          

R I Z E N
....ZEN Nodes.... ....Horizen Academy.... ....Help Desk    ....Faucet   
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
djjacket

Activity: 784
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 02:57:06 PM

Is anyone getting a number of duplicate submissions with their Chili's?  I am running with BTCguild pool and noticed the Dupe entries for these.  I am using bfgminer.  Does anyone know if this is a hardware/firmware issue or a bfgminer issues?  Anyone else seeing this?
MrTeal (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1274

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 07:43:42 PM

Just quick math that did not seem right...

$350 for a 2nd batch board... all good not a bad markup at all.

another $350 for people who don't own chips? That is only $43.75 per chip in an 8 chip chili... is that right? Though all the chips were $56 if you supplied them?

Not that I want anyone to have to pay more but when you first mentioned the 2nd batch board would be $350 I kinda anticipated you would sell fully populated Chilis at around $800.

Just making sure that $700 was not a typo.
It's not. With batch 1, all the chips had been ordered months ago and there was a fixed number. For everyone that bought chips to add to a board, it literally meant that someone else had to give up their chips in batch 1. Now the chips are much more readily available and at lower prices, so we can work with people who have lots of chips and want to sell them in order to allow people to just buy a board without having their own chips on hand.
jelin1984
Legendary

Activity: 2408

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 07:47:59 PM

Any details
Like step by step instruction for mining with chilli board?
nwfella
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1000

Well hello there!

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 09:19:04 PM

Small Preview of ~60 chilis look like on a rack.

Now that is sexy!

¯¯̿̿¯̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿̿)͇̿̿)̿̿̿̿ '̿̿̿̿̿̿\̵͇̿̿\=(•̪̀●́)=o/̵͇̿̿/'̿̿ ̿ ̿̿

Gimme the crypto!!
djjacket

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 09:30:20 PM
Last edit: October 19, 2013, 09:47:02 PM by djjacket

anyone that have any pictures of back of pcb whit and without cooler?

Currently getting 69-71 GH/s with two boards connected to my RaspPi.  As you can see in the pic they are pulling close to 200W each.  One is running ~37 GH/s and the other ~33 GH/s.

Here is the pic of the back of the board with the TwinTurbo Attached:
dtown

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 10:24:26 PM

http://i41.tinypic.com/2mwcm74.jpg
If you don't care about that and only plan to mount it once, you can just use a 6-32 1.5" screw and nut to hold the heatsink down. You can still even use the spring if you want. They're just a more of a PITA to install that way, especially if you take them on or off.

I just did this particular install 4 times (Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO) and it's pretty difficult but stable.  Here's a few tips:

• It's easy to remove the fan from the heatsink, so make sure you do that.
  • I used 6-32 2.0" screws instead.  They were more readily available at Home Depot and ended up making nice feet.
  • I found it easier to place the heatsink upside down on a flat surface, then I wedged some needle nose pliers between the heatsink and the "X" apparatus to hold it in place.  Then Chili (with TIM) and backplate.
  • I inserted the 4 screws form the bottom and attached 4 nuts finger tight.  This will be enough to hold the "X" in place and allow you to turn it right side up and tighten the screws.
  • I re-used the thicker of the two springs on the 2" screw.  The smaller thinner spring didn't really have a use.
  • You can remove the springs by using wire cutters on the small black circle that holds the two springs on the screws that came with the EVO.
  • Muscle memory will not allow me to type "spring" without typing "string" first.
crazydownloaded

Activity: 148
Merit: 100

Crazy!

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 11:36:21 PM

Also received mine today (USPS), mounted an EVO 212 with Keefe's kit, worked like a charm.
Hashing at ~32GH/s from my Rasberry Pi/BFGMiner.

To retrieve and compile the latest bfgminer on linux:

#Make BFGMiner to autodetect BFL boxes
#I don't know if it's still required
modprobe ftdi_sio vendor=0x0403 product=0x6014

#Retrieve and install bfgminer
cd ~/
git clone https://github.com/luke-jr/bfgminer.git
cd bfgminer
./autogen.sh
# Avalon driver was buggy and crashed the compilation
./configure --disable-avalon
make
make install

Est. February 2012
boost75

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2013, 11:37:16 PM

anyone that have any pictures of back of pcb whit and without cooler?

Currently getting 69-71 GH/s with two boards connected to my RaspPi.  As you can see in the pic they are pulling close to 200W each.  One is running ~37 GH/s and the other ~33 GH/s.

http://i309.photobucket.com/albums/kk398/djjacket/IMAG0877.jpg

Any tricks to getting it running on the RapberryPi? I build those displays at RaspberryPiLCD.com so would prefer to load it on the Pi.
crazydownloaded

Crazy!

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 12:32:33 AM

Any tricks to getting it running on the RapberryPi? I build those displays at RaspberryPiLCD.com so would prefer to load it on the Pi.

Not sure I understand your question. If you're asking on how to have the Chili work with your Pi, see my post above, compilation of bfgminer is very straightforward. It just work "out of the box", even if you have to plug a powered USB hub if you already have a wifi dongle on the Pi (I've the Edimax, the Chili wasn't recognized until I use the hub).
I just bought the LCD kit also, but I've no idea how I'll get the LCD working yet.

Est. February 2012
djjacket

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 12:51:40 AM

Not sure I understand your question. If you're asking on how to have the Chili work with your Pi, see my post above, compilation of bfgminer is very straightforward. It just work "out of the box", even if you have to plug a powered USB hub if you already have a wifi dongle on the Pi (I've the Edimax, the Chili wasn't recognized until I use the hub).
I just bought the LCD kit also, but I've no idea how I'll get the LCD working yet.

PiMiner scripts will interface with the LCD

https://github.com/adafruit/PiMiner.git

Check this link out for getting the LCD working withcgminer.  You will need to modify the scripts a little to get it working with bfgminer, but really very easy.

http://learn.adafruit.com/piminer-raspberry-pi-bitcoin-miner/

No additional special arguments needed for bfgminer 3.3.0 for the Chili for me after a fresh download and compile like crazydownloded showed above.
crazydownloaded

Crazy!

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 01:14:14 AM

Check this link out for getting the LCD working withcgminer.  You will need to modify the scripts a little to get it working with bfgminer, but really very easy.

http://learn.adafruit.com/piminer-raspberry-pi-bitcoin-miner/

Damn, this is so easy! Those guys rocks! Thanks for sharing!

Est. February 2012
crazydownloaded

Crazy!

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 01:42:25 AM
Last edit: October 20, 2013, 02:04:22 AM by crazydownloaded

Does anyone knows the signification of the 8 very small LEDs near the USB plug? I though is could be chips activity, but I only have 4 LEDs blinking, and sometimes the fifth. Thx!

Est. February 2012
Keefe

Activity: 681

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 04:27:28 AM

I'm putting together my boards and coolers now. Apparently I overestimated the size of the holes that I planned to put the stock 12mm M+F standoffs through for board feet. They don't quite fit. But the board is small enough compared to the cooler mount, that the screw heads provide sufficiently stable feet.

I notice that the boards like airflow on the backside, which gets pretty hot otherwise. Performance went up from 32 GH to 37 GH.

crazydownloaded

Crazy!

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 05:03:41 AM

I'm putting together my boards and coolers now. Apparently I overestimated the size of the holes that I planned to put the stock 12mm M+F standoffs through for board feet. They don't quite fit. But the board is small enough compared to the cooler mount, that the screw heads provide sufficiently stable feet.
Noticed the same, clearly not really a big deal, I even succeeded mounting them almost like on your pictures (I cannot made them enter entirely though).

I notice that the boards like airflow on the backside, which gets pretty hot otherwise. Performance went up from 32 GH to 37 GH.
While we speak about cooling, is there any way to throttle the fan? It's always at its max speed (noisy).

Still don't understand what the 8 LEDs are for...

Est. February 2012
oldbushie

Activity: 94
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 05:18:14 AM

Shoot, so what do I need to do with your kit now, Keefe? Not sure I fully understand. :/

As long as I can keep it an inch or two off the floor...

Keefe

Activity: 681

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 05:32:39 AM

Shoot, so what do I need to do with your kit now, Keefe? Not sure I fully understand. :/

As long as I can keep it an inch or two off the floor...

The only thing that has changed is letting the unit rest on the screw heads which support it almost as well as the originally planned M+F standoffs that came with the cooler would have. The board is now 8mm off the shelf instead of 12mm. Neither would have raised it an inch or two.

surebet

Activity: 495
Merit: 507

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 05:53:21 AM

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 ... 74 »
  Print  

Jump to: