Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 08:49:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: KNC, 100% of their hashing is currently going into their own pocket.  (Read 10793 times)
Nemo1024
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1014

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2013, 08:01:25 AM

Skipped right to the last page after reading the first.

So:
1. KnC stated from the start that they will be doing some mining themselves with a fraction of units (read the FAQ on their site).
2. They still need to fine-tune the unit to stabilise its performance so the customers get the most out of them.
3. They need to show the world that a unit can handle sustained mining.

I don't have a problem with any of it and I have 2 orders.

“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”
“We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided.”
“It is important to fight and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated.”

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
KS

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 01, 2013, 08:21:39 AM

"Metropolisky".

Someone's in the wrong country.
Bitcoinorama

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 01, 2013, 08:42:55 AM

Ok so let me clear a few things up from this side;

Firstly I have no beef with GMaxwell, he's always been prompt at responding to any issues I have raised where I have had the need to contact him. Last was a spelling mistake I think and he was v.sharp to correct and courteous. MiningBuddy has been equally proactive and polite.

Secondly, all prior testing was performed on the testnet as appropriate, however when it comes to actual proof to real customers that the product stands up and performs over a longer period it had to be to an account. Andreas and Sam are not desperate for a few hours worth of mining, and honestly it went to Vitali, the software engineer who finally resolved the bugs that had plagued them throughout the day. Seeing as he had only stood up to walk in a circle a couple of times in 24 hours, I doubt anyone would begrudge him that. Miner is offline now and being reviewed/optimised, whilst acceptable production is focused upon.

Thirdly, despite openly stating they will mine with upto 5% of what they manufacture, they aren't. If at any-point they do, it will be unlikely to occur prior to November's shipment. Quite simply they have sold all available boxes. They had to make a call as to what makes more long term sense. Ensure you have sufficient funds to progress with future generations, whilst ensuring there is a proportional float of chips in case of hardware error, returns, etc. The issue with selling out concerned the controller boards, and where the hell they ended up last week almost ruined what was achieved yesterday. More on that later, but in any case Mercury uses the same number of controller boards as Jupiter, one, but only one ASIC.

Finally aside the dev boxes and prototype board revisions, which will lead to an iterative ongoing improvement with respect t hardware, the only device in KnC's possession to 'mine for themselves' will be in the office foyer, and all coins generated from that will be going direct to charity. Which charity? Sam asked me to find one that accepts Bitcoins. I replied why not choose a known and respected one that has yet to adopt Bitcoins and kill two birds with one stone, by having another worth cause adopt Bitcoins as a payment avenue. Isn't there one close to your heart before I call around? And he stated that his little girl, now 2 years old, spent her first 56 days in intensive care at Sweden's Karolinska Institutet - Dept of Women's and Children's health - Neonatology - as she was born 8 weeks premature. This is one of the world's finest Neonatology wards and he feels indebted to them.

Make my day! Say thanks if you found me helpful Smiley BTC Address --->
1487ThaKjezGA6SiE8fvGcxbgJJu6XWtZp
plasmoske

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

The realist

View Profile
October 01, 2013, 08:52:30 AM

TL;DR Guys stop buying such powerful ASICs because I will be earning less with my current old-gen tech miner.
sickpig
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile
October 01, 2013, 09:04:37 AM

Secondly, all prior testing was performed on the testnet as appropriate, however when it comes to actual proof to real customers that the product stands up and performs over a longer period it had to be to an account. Andreas and Sam are not desperate for a few hours worth of mining, and honestly it went to Vitali, the software engineer who finally resolved the bugs that had plagued them throughout the day. Seeing as he had only stood up to walk in a circle a couple of times in 24 hours, I doubt anyone would begrudge him that. Miner is offline now and being reviewed/optimised, whilst acceptable production is focused upon.

care to share some more info about "the bug"?

sorry for derailing the thread, though Tongue

Bitcoin is a participatory system which ought to respect the right of self determinism of all of its users - Gregory Maxwell.
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
October 01, 2013, 09:43:55 AM

I'm generally pretty harsh on hashing power consolidations. They undermine the security assumptions of the Bitcoin system. Review my posts if you like.

Are you talking about mining pools? I think in the long run it is millions of miners with free electricity or those who use it as a heating device secure the network, the power of the masses Wink

alfabitcoin

Activity: 476

View Profile
October 01, 2013, 01:37:30 PM

@Bitcoinorama

Are you now officialy work for Knc miners. They have presented you an working unit what you wanted to see first before you accept the job offer.
Maybe premature, but if you are working for them now (you already are kind of), I believe congrats are in order  Smiley
Great work my man!
DPoS

Activity: 462

View Profile
October 01, 2013, 02:50:28 PM

Maybe OP sees the future and is sad... KNC killed the scammer advertiser cash cow and they aren't spending half their budget on ads here

~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~Play Boardgames for Bitcoins!!~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~ Something I say help? Donate BTC! 1KN1K1xStzsgfYxdArSX4PEjFfcLEuYhid
gmaxwell (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2013, 03:02:25 PM

Secondly, all prior testing was performed on the testnet as appropriate,
Which blocks did your employer mine on testnet?
faetos

Activity: 744
Merit: 514

gotta let a coin be a coin

View Profile
October 01, 2013, 03:08:14 PM

I don't really get what the issue is here since they said from day 1 that they were going to mine as well. They're mining, or did, to test out a box. That's the big news? BFD.
shapemaker

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

I run Linux on my abacus.

View Profile
October 01, 2013, 03:11:53 PM

Man, you sure sound bitter Shocked

Not defending the KnC shill either, but you're coming off as having a large beef with KnC. It can't be just that one device, so why? Undecided

Shut up and give me money: 115UAYWLPTcRQ2hrT7VNo84SSFE5nT5ozo
ASIC-K

Activity: 280

Hell?

View Profile
October 01, 2013, 03:12:29 PM

how is this guy even a moderator?!?
shapemaker

I run Linux on my abacus.

View Profile
October 01, 2013, 03:14:17 PM

how is this guy even a moderator?!?

Maybe because... http://bitcoin.org/en/development

Shut up and give me money: 115UAYWLPTcRQ2hrT7VNo84SSFE5nT5ozo
ASIC-K

Activity: 280

Hell?

View Profile
October 01, 2013, 03:15:53 PM

yup. that will do it! sigh....
RoadStress
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007

View Profile
October 01, 2013, 03:18:11 PM

You switched to "selective replies" only? You missed my questions.

Kaliecious

Activity: 246

View Profile
October 01, 2013, 04:16:55 PM

Ok so let me clear a few things up from this side;

Firstly I have no beef with GMaxwell, he's always been prompt at responding to any issues I have raised where I have had the need to contact him. Last was a spelling mistake I think and he was v.sharp to correct and courteous. MiningBuddy has been equally proactive and polite.

Thirdly, despite openly stating they will mine with upto 5% of what they manufacture, they aren't. If at any-point they do, it will be unlikely to occur prior to November's shipment. Quite simply they have sold all available boxes. They had to make a call as to what makes more long term sense. Ensure you have sufficient funds to progress with future generations, whilst ensuring there is a proportional float of chips in case of hardware error, returns, etc. The issue with selling out concerned the controller boards, and where the hell they ended up last week almost ruined what was achieved yesterday. More on that later, but in any case Mercury uses the same number of controller boards as Jupiter, one, but only one ASIC.

Finally aside the dev boxes and prototype board revisions, which will lead to an iterative ongoing improvement with respect t hardware, the only device in KnC's possession to 'mine for themselves' will be in the office foyer, and all coins generated from that will be going direct to charity. Which charity? Sam asked me to find one that accepts Bitcoins. I replied why not choose a known and respected one that has yet to adopt Bitcoins and kill two birds with one stone, by having another worth cause adopt Bitcoins as a payment avenue. Isn't there one close to your heart before I call around? And he stated that his little girl, now 2 years old, spent her first 56 days in intensive care at Sweden's Karolinska Institutet - Dept of Women's and Children's health - Neonatology - as she was born 8 weeks premature. This is one of the world's finest Neonatology wards and he feels indebted to them.

That depends, where are you wanting to keep the money in the EU or the states, I have one that my business supports.

Loredo

View Profile
October 01, 2013, 04:41:16 PM

I'm beginning to worry that the evil spirit recently expelled by Phinnaeus Gage has taken control of you now.  If so, an exorcist is evidently in Kansas City.
xhomerx10
Legendary

Activity: 3836
Merit: 7984

View Profile
October 01, 2013, 05:24:16 PM

if a troll is in the forest, under a bridge, and no one pays him a toll - has the troll done its job by preventing others passage?
lets change around some semantics:
If a global moderator feels compelled to nitpick a company for using an address on their 1st prototyped completed unit and yet turns around and accepted bfl money for years...does that make him a global Troll???  JOHN K?HuhHuh?
It's a bit trolly to pick on KNC with only .5 TH online— which is why I made the "I guess I feel left out of the trolling" comment. But I really don't understand why people tolerate manufacturers competing with them. Battered wife syndrome perhaps.
Its nothing as I see avalon testing some terahashes in eligius in months and keep customers to wait and waste of ROI.
It's funny, before avalon had products in existence they made a nice strongly worded comment about how competent testing doesn't involve mining on the network (a position I agree with). As far as I know they didn't mine at scale on the mainnet to test batch 1 units... but the later stuff?  Yea. That also falls into my bin of "why the heck are people tolerating this??".

Seriously???

I've been telling ppl they're full of it for 600+ pages.

What will it take for everyone to get in on the program?

They haven't made a heck of a lot - http://blockexplorer.com/address/17Czc8RVL3FU5T2MLx2zLbRnpfBNgH9vFo Anyway, they've been working all weekend so maybe they need some beer money - or Champagne money - and they deserve it!  Finally a company that is a class act and still we aren't happy...
 Kudos to KnC!!!

Take care

$37.81? That's less than what I paid for the hotel I'm now in here in Paducah, KY.

Ha ha!  The Mini-mo or the Hickory House?

Take care
bitterdog

Activity: 728
Merit: 503

dApps Development Automation Platform

View Profile
October 01, 2013, 05:40:18 PM

I think he accepts your apology, You can probably get up off your knees and stop bowing before him also

▄▄▄▄
        ▄▄████████▄▄
    ▄▄████████████████▄▄
 ▄████████████████████████▄
██████████▀▀███████████████
██████████▄   ▀█████████████
████████████▄   ▀███████████
██████████████▄   ▀█████████
█████████████▀   ▄██████████
███████████▀   ▄████████████
██████████▄  ▄██████████████
███████████████████████████
 ▀████████████████████████▀
    ▀▀████████████████▀▀
        ▀▀████████▀▀
            ▀▀▀

⬢⬢

⬢⬢

▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄████████▄▄
▄██████████▀▀▀█▀█▄
██ ▀█████▀     ▀██
██▌   ▀▀▀      ███
███▄           ███
████▀         ████
▀████▄     ▄▄████▀
   ▀▀▄▄▄▄████▀▀
       ▀▀▀▀

██████████████████

▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄████████▄▄
▄████████████████▄
██████████▀▀  ▐███
██████▀▀  ▄   ████
███▀   ▄█▀   ▐████
████▄▄█▀     █████
▀█████▌ ▄▄▄ ▐████▀
   ▀▀████████▀▀
       ▀▀▀▀

██████████████████

▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄████████▄▄
▄███████▀   ▐████▄
████████  ▄███████
██████      ██████
████████  ████████
████████  ████████
▀███████  ███████▀
   ▀▀████████▀▀
       ▀▀▀▀

██████████████████

▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄██▀█▀███▄▄
▄███▀▀▀ ▀ ▀▀█████▄
██████ ████▄ █████
██████ ▀▀▀▀ ▄█████
██████ ▄▄▄▄ ▀█████
██████ ████▀ █████
▀███▄▄▄ ▄ ▄▄█████▀
   ▀▀██▄█▄███▀▀
       ▀▀▀▀

██████████████████
RoadStress
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007

View Profile
October 01, 2013, 05:55:42 PM

I think he accepts your apology, You can probably get up off your knees and stop bowing before him also

Wait! What?

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: