Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 05:45:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: KNC, 100% of their hashing is currently going into their own pocket.  (Read 10793 times)
gmaxwell (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2013, 10:57:14 PM

I guess I feel a bit left out of all the trolling—

KNC is now mining on their hardware, while customers wait for it to ship:

http://eligius.st/~wizkid057/newstats/userstats.php/17Czc8RVL3FU5T2MLx2zLbRnpfBNgH9vFo

This is, as far as I know, 100% of the KNC hashrate in existence. Pedantically speaking, it means that KNC is violating their 5% commitment.

Testing doesn't involve using the production network. Production mining is unlikely to test finding blocks— whereas testnet, or replays of past found blocks are more complete tests.  Mining on the mainnet increases the difficulty and takes income from customers who are waiting on units that will be late.  Every bit of earlier mining is worth large amounts of future mining due to expected growth.

I do not understand why miners keep funding mining hardware companies that mine in competition with their own customers.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
k9quaint
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 30, 2013, 10:59:36 PM
Last edit: September 30, 2013, 11:01:48 PM by gmaxwell

http://eligius.st/~wizkid057/newstats/userstats.php/17Czc8RVL3FU5T2MLx2zLbRnpfBNgH9vFo

This is, as far as I know, 100% of the KNC hashrate in existence. Pedantically speaking, it means that KNC is violating their 5% commitment.

Testing doesn't involve using the production network. Production mining is unlikely to test finding blocks— whereas testnet, or replays of past found blocks are more complete tests.  Mining on the mainnet increases the difficulty and takes income from customers who are waiting on units that will be late.  Every bit of earlier mining is worth large amounts of future mining due to expected growth.

I do not understand why miners keep funding mining hardware companies that mine in competition with their own customers.

I think they did that as proof of existence of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFOcI8nK2xI

But yeah, they should stop.  Grin

P.S. my mommas fat.

Bitcoin is backed by the full faith and credit of YouTube comments.
FUKT

Activity: 446
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 30, 2013, 11:06:22 PM

Testing doesn't involve using the production network. Production mining is unlikely to test finding blocks— whereas testnet, or replays of past found blocks are more complete tests.  Mining on the mainnet increases the difficulty and takes income from customers who are waiting on units that will be late.  Every bit of earlier mining is worth large amounts of future mining due to expected growth.

Are you serious? Cant tell if trolling the trolls or just retarded.
frankenmint
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1018

HoneybadgerOfMoney.com Weed4bitcoin.com

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2013, 11:07:43 PM

if a troll is in the forest, under a bridge, and no one pays him a toll - has the troll done its job by preventing others passage?

lets change around some semantics:
If a global moderator feels compelled to nitpick a company for using an address on their 1st prototyped completed unit and yet turns around and accepted bfl money for years...does that make him a global Troll???  JOHN K?HuhHuh?

whisper

Activity: 267

Learn to go against your mind

View Profile
September 30, 2013, 11:08:59 PM

Its nothing as I see avalon testing some terahashes in eligius in months and keep customers to wait and waste of ROI.
PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 30, 2013, 11:11:34 PM

Mods don't troll. They just tell you what you need to know!  Cheesy Wink
gmaxwell (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2013, 11:15:57 PM

if a troll is in the forest, under a bridge, and no one pays him a toll - has the troll done its job by preventing others passage?
lets change around some semantics:
If a global moderator feels compelled to nitpick a company for using an address on their 1st prototyped completed unit and yet turns around and accepted bfl money for years...does that make him a global Troll???  JOHN K?HuhHuh?
It's a bit trolly to pick on KNC with only .5 TH online— which is why I made the "I guess I feel left out of the trolling" comment. But I really don't understand why people tolerate manufacturers competing with them. Battered wife syndrome perhaps.
Its nothing as I see avalon testing some terahashes in eligius in months and keep customers to wait and waste of ROI.
It's funny, before avalon had products in existence they made a nice strongly worded comment about how competent testing doesn't involve mining on the network (a position I agree with). As far as I know they didn't mine at scale on the mainnet to test batch 1 units... but the later stuff?  Yea. That also falls into my bin of "why the heck are people tolerating this??".
donch

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

Updated ironic image.

View Profile
September 30, 2013, 11:16:19 PM

Seeing as this a moderator-sanctioned trollfest:

https://forums.butterflylabs.com/pre-sales-questions/3616-whos-placing-new-orders-bfl-right-now-heres-real-competition.html#post44762

https://forums.butterflylabs.com/bfl-forum-miscellaneous/5127-knc-will-not-time-so-josh-correct-yah-right-2.html#post59956

Oh, Joshy, "assuredly" you don't know when to stop...

"How are you justifying these as fair use?  They are clearly and unequivocally a copyright violation."
"I really want to know how you justify that under the fair use doctrine?  It does not conform to a single point of fair use."
Josh whining about people reusing his studio portrait shot on this forum. Can you copyright a copyright complaint? All Paypal refunds are final.
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
September 30, 2013, 11:22:25 PM

just because avalon did it doesn't make it okay for KnC to do it.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
shapemaker

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

I run Linux on my abacus.

View Profile
September 30, 2013, 11:30:49 PM

And letting BFL advertise here after all the lies, delays and outright fraud by BFL? Not slapping a ban on Josh when he's abusing their customers here?

I call double standards.

Sure, it's not the same as mining on mainnet to screw customers of ROI, but customers are fucked in either case.

Shut up and give me money: 115UAYWLPTcRQ2hrT7VNo84SSFE5nT5ozo
donch

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

Updated ironic image.

View Profile
September 30, 2013, 11:34:10 PM

Anyone have proof that BFL and Bitfury didn't do it either? A day's testing on release day to prove real world hash rate doesn't seem overboard. However, if KNC do more than a day and don't ship tomorrow and don't stick to their 5% rule, then I think you have a point.

A much more pertinent question is why did BFL decide to take so long to ramp up their production rate? Just because someone sound's paranoid and whispers "Mini-rigs in the BFL basement" doesn't mean they are wrong  Smiley

"How are you justifying these as fair use?  They are clearly and unequivocally a copyright violation."
"I really want to know how you justify that under the fair use doctrine?  It does not conform to a single point of fair use."
Josh whining about people reusing his studio portrait shot on this forum. Can you copyright a copyright complaint? All Paypal refunds are final.
erk

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 30, 2013, 11:34:52 PM
Last edit: September 30, 2013, 11:46:16 PM by erk

Testing doesn't involve using the production network. Production mining is unlikely to test finding blocks— whereas testnet, or replays of past found blocks are more complete tests.  Mining on the mainnet increases the difficulty and takes income from customers who are waiting on units that will be late.  Every bit of earlier mining is worth large amounts of future mining due to expected growth.

Good, if they didn't nobody would believe their figures. This gives people something to watch.

Do you have some problem with manufactures using gear on the live net? i certainly don't.

Only people that get upset about that sort of thing are trolls or people that can't work out that selling a miner for thousands of dollars profit every few min is worth more than hashing with one for days on end.

As in many industries, the money is in selling the tools not using them.

I make no economic sense whatsoever to hash on the testnet if unless you are doing things that might disturb the main block chain. Miners cost money to run, even for a few hour burnin test.

PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 30, 2013, 11:36:40 PM

Anyone have proof that BFL and Bitfury didn't do it either? A day's testing on release day to prove real world hash rate doesn't seem overboard. However, if KNC do more than a day and don't ship tomorrow and don't stick to their 5% rule, then I think you have a point.

A much more pertinent question is why did BFL decide to take so long to ramp up their production rate? Just because someone sound's paranoid and whispers "Mini-rigs in the BFL basement" doesn't mean they are wrong  Smiley
BFL has done it. They even showed videos of it.
mruiter

Activity: 281

View Profile
September 30, 2013, 11:40:24 PM

CRY BABY !!!!!

It's proof it's hashing. They will stop, just shut up for a day.

(and to think a mod would know better than this)

❘|❘ ICONOMI  Fund Management Platform
  LINK TO ICO | LINK TO DISCUSSION
Biomech
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1022

Anarchy is not chaos.

View Profile
September 30, 2013, 11:41:48 PM

While I understand your objection, I think I have to disagree.

First off, we don't know that it's their only unit. They could be using the rest of their test units on a test net and applying the tweaks to the one that's showing, to see how it works in the real world. This is what I would do.

Second, this shows everyone who can follow the blockchain that yes, they do indeed have a working product. It's ONE machine out of many. Sure, technically, right now it's 100 percent of KnC's hash power, but in the very short long run, it's a demo.

I for one am glad to see it working in realtime, verifiably. I think that is worth more than the negligible impact it has on difficulty.
DPoS

Activity: 462

View Profile
September 30, 2013, 11:42:22 PM

CRY BABY !!!!!

It's proof it's hashing. They will stop, just shut up for a day.

(and to think a mod would know better than to be a bitching troll)

they sold their souls to BFL for all eternity and must defend to their death!!!

~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~Play Boardgames for Bitcoins!!~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~ Something I say help? Donate BTC! 1KN1K1xStzsgfYxdArSX4PEjFfcLEuYhid
Minor Miner
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1012

Be A Digital Miner

View Profile
September 30, 2013, 11:42:59 PM

BFL has done it. They even showed videos of it.

I do not doubt that comment, but do you have the link?

Meizirkki

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 30, 2013, 11:43:25 PM

Gmaxwell is right.

Likely not going to happen but it would be nice of them to do testing in the testnet.
mruiter

Activity: 281

View Profile
September 30, 2013, 11:46:31 PM

Gmaxwell is right.

Likely not going to happen but it would be nice of them to do testing in the testnet.

yeeah , on a testnet !?
And everybody will troll they fixed the tests, like that wil work.....

❘|❘ ICONOMI  Fund Management Platform
  LINK TO ICO | LINK TO DISCUSSION
bit_wizard

Activity: 314

View Profile
September 30, 2013, 11:47:41 PM

Boycott Pre-orders!

Or make a pre-order, and sell it for profit when the market is hot Grin
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: