Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 12:55:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why are Americans so fat?  (Read 822 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
nullius (OP)
Copper Member

Activity: 630
Merit: 2610

If you don’t do PGP, you don’t do crypto!

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2018, 05:04:13 PM

I remember the first time I ever spoke to a Japanese person.  Our conversation turned to global politics and society; whereupon he said, “Why are so many Americans fat?  We don’t have such fat people in Japan.”  Seriously, USians, that is your international reputation.  Most funny furrin’ folks are simply too polite to tell you to your big-mouthed fat faces.

America is not so much a big country, but more like a big business. There is a lot of money to be made in obesity for a lot of people and companies: healthcare, pharma, sugar, hfcs, fastfood, supermarkets etc.

It's in America's interest to keep people fat, keep prisons full, keep hospitals full, charge people for as much as they can, and fleece them out of their money. Of course everyone has to keep up the pretense that the opposite is true, and many may even believe it. But ask yourself this: do you trust their words or their actions?

One historical reason is the effectiveness of lobbying by large food conglomerates and other corporations, which heavily influenced the development and accuracy not only of dietary advice and how it was communicated, but also produced lopsided incentives for dietary research. Similarly, product packaging and food advertisement standards are generally more lax in the United States than elsewhere, and the social tolerance of markets and corporations is perhaps also greater.

One piece of the puzzle:  Processed vegetable fats are far cheaper to produce in the first instance than animal fats.  Furthermore, they are more shelf-stable—thus, friendlier to long BigCorp supply chains.

Alleged health “experts” who tell you that canola (rapeseed) or soy oils are “healthier” than butter or lard mean only that they are healthier for distribution logistics involving large warehouses and many middlemen.

Hydrogenated vegetable oils will blow you up whale-sized, and give you heart disease.  Implications are left as an exercise to the reader.

Because MC is everywhere and MC is life! I'm from Europe and people there getting more fat too.

Cultural imperialist weaponry.  If America doesn’t bomb your country to rubble, they will invade it with McDonald’s and other anti-culture.

They want to take over the world, and are too fat and lazy to maintain their stockpile of atomic weapons.

Evil Empires image loading...

Americans are also very lazy and they just pay a few bucks to get finished meal, than cook meal by yourself.. ???

Well, it would be impractical for everybody to cook individual meals every time they needed to eat.  This raises the atomization of society—worst in America, and accelerating with each generation.  Moreover, it raises the division of labour.  The latter inevitably leads to discussion of sex roles.

To date, I have met exactly one American woman under the age of 40 who excelled in the kitchen, and genuinely enjoyed cooking for others.  And she was not fat!  Actually, she was a bit too skinny.

(N.b., the kitchen was not the only place where she excelled.)

very controversial

OK

I've read a study about people getting fat is because they don't just eat MCdonalds but simply because they are happy. Americans are not all fat but most of those that are unhappy people are skinny - Studies shows that when a person is not a jolly as some, they end up growing with the wrong crowd and not so happy.

Translation:  Grinning idiots.

If you're tall enough to stand out in a crowd, you're probably aware of your tallness – maybe even self-conscious about it. But imagine that you're in a room full of basketball players. Suddenly, you don't seem so tall anymore.

Forsooth, the American cow is oblivious amidst its herd.  So too in every other way.

First of all both women in the picture have no class or style showing off their private parts like that. When you're going out make sure your pants are the right size! :D

Killjoy.  (At least as to the one on the left...)

It's not the fat that's making you fat, however that sounds. It's mostly carbohydrates that give you energy which you are unable to burn. The math is very simple: you consume 2000 calories a day and burn 2200 = you're getting lighter and thinner. Also, you need fats to be healthy, it's just that fried food tends to have more calories in the same size meal, so people lose control of how much they're eating.

Actually, it’s not so simple.  Different foods are metabolized differently.

I eat a diet heavy in meat and dairy fats, very low in sugar, moderately high in complex carbohydrates.  On that, I am anything but fat.  But if I were to eat a McBurger-and-soda diet measured at a nominally equal number of Calories, then I have no doubt that I would blow up like an American.

(Technical aside:  Lowercase-c “calories” is the base unit; uppercase-C is actually kcal.  Use the uppercase C in these conversations.)

Mometaskers

Activity: 1764
Merit: 584

View Profile
March 04, 2018, 05:51:10 PM

Funny, I kept getting recommended dieting vids on Youtube yesterday and then I saw this thread.

Americans surely are fatter than most people these days. Obesity rates of more than 30% is no laughing matter. So much possible culprits but IMHO the worst ones are: The serving sizes, not only are the "standard" larger but people usually upsize anyway; Too much sugar, we all know how calorie-dense those are; And the love for fatty foods, they seem to just fry a lot of stuff, like seriously, fried butter?

Let’s keep this thread fit and trim. 

Oh the pun! LOL
TurboRyzen

Activity: 66
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 04, 2018, 06:23:55 PM

It's the life of a wealthy country. Eventually it kills its citizens. The people who built it worked very hard to get where we are.
innocent93
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 04, 2018, 07:09:49 PM

The body weight is a question of personal choises and culture, let's say if a person lives in a comunity where people who eat to much are rejected then the habits wouldn't be the same.
mmfiore

Activity: 808
Merit: 502

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 04:56:13 PM

The body weight is a question of personal choises and culture, let's say if a person lives in a comunity where people who eat to much are rejected then the habits wouldn't be the same.

Obesity is not a personal choice it's a medical condition dude ...

I believe that bad food habits / bad food education are the biggest problem.

After that I'd say, bad quality of products/GMO used over there.

And finaly, I'd say the success of advertisement on weakminded/poorly educated people is to blame too Wink.

▄██▄            ▄██▄
       ██  ███████████ ██  ██
        ▀██▀            ▀███▌
       ▄                  ▐██
     ▄██▀   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ▐██▄
    ▄██    ██▀ ▄▄▄▄         ▀▀
 ▄███▀     █ ▄█▀ ▄▄▄           ▄██▄
██  ██     █ █  █████  █ ▄    ██  ██
 ▀██▀            ▀▀▀ ▄██ █     ███▀
     ▄            ▄▄██▀ ▄█   ▄██▌
    ▀██▄          ▄▄▄▄▄█▀   ▄██
      ██▄                   ▀▀
       ▀███▄            ▄██▄
       ██  ██  ██████████  ██
        ▀██▀            ▀██▀

▄██▄            ▄██▄
       ██  ███████████ ██  ██
        ▀██▀            ▀███▌
       ▄                  ▐██
     ▄██▀   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ▐██▄
    ▄██    ██▀ ▄▄▄▄         ▀▀
 ▄███▀     █ ▄█▀ ▄▄▄           ▄██▄
██  ██     █ █  █████  █ ▄    ██  ██
 ▀██▀            ▀▀▀ ▄██ █     ███▀
     ▄            ▄▄██▀ ▄█   ▄██▌
    ▀██▄          ▄▄▄▄▄█▀   ▄██
      ██▄                   ▀▀
       ▀███▄            ▄██▄
       ██  ██  ██████████  ██
        ▀██▀            ▀██▀
PRE-REGISTER NOW FOR
THE MAIN TOKENSALE

██
██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
   ██
   ██
.MONETIZE YOUR IOT DATA!.

Telegram
Twitter
▄▄███████████████████████████████████▄▄
██████████▀▀▀▀███████████▀▀▀▀██████████
█████████▌ ██          █▌ ██  █████████
██████████▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄  ▐█████████
█████████▀▀█████████████████  ▀████████
████████  ▄███▀ ▄▄▄▄█████████▌ ▀███████
██████▀  ▄██▀ ▄█▀ ▄▄██████████▄▄███████
███▀▀▀  ███▌ ▄█ ▄█▀▀▀███████████▀▀▀▀███
██▌ ██ ▐███▌ █▌ █ ▐█▌ █▌ █ ▐███  ██ ▐██
███▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄█▀ ▄█ ▐███▌  ▄▄███
███████▀▀██████████▄▄▄▄█▀ ▄███▀  ██████
███████▄  █████████▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀  ███████
████████▄  ▀█████████████████▄▄████████
██████████    ▀██████████▀▀▀▀██████████
██████████▌ ██ ▐█         ██ ▐█████████
███████████▄▄▄▄██████████▄▄▄▄██████████
▀▀███████████████████████████████████▀▀
santino11

Activity: 448
Merit: 103

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 05:15:16 PM

Seriously.  In both the East and the West, everybody asks this question.

Loading image...

Oh, dear me.  Pardon, I must go AFK to bathe my eyeballs in bleach.

Why!?

(This thread is self-moderated, because I don’t want to inadvertently create yet another spam megathread for idiots trying to bump their post counts.  Illiterate one-liners and other low-quality posts will be deleted with extreme prejudice.  Let’s keep this thread fit and trim.  But here, I will not delete posts I simply disagree with.  Flame away!)

Not all of them (Americans) are fat, well some people are really like that.
As i see with these people line of food they are very exposed to fats and carbs which make them fat.
But not all of them as some of the people there are health conscious and want a nice and perfect body.
hugoworld

Activity: 672
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 07, 2018, 07:25:02 AM

Most of the american people are over-sized because eating too muct fast food and drinking too much fizzy drinks. This kind of unhealthy diet make a person fat. For that reason, Health department of america must take very serious precautions to stop this fast food insanity.

EMP

▬▬▬▬ ◥ ◤ ▬▬▬▬▬ ◥ ◤ ▬▬▬▬▬ ◥ ◤ ▬▬▬▬▬ ◥ ◤ ▬▬▬▬

ICO START:
10 SEPT 2018
bekhuong45

Activity: 126

View Profile
March 07, 2018, 08:41:19 AM

because the zen structure... hâhhhahaa Grin Grin Grin Grin
mylifeisorandom

Activity: 168
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 07, 2018, 09:28:30 AM

Mostly because there are a lot of fast food chains in america that the sizes are bigger than most countries. And I also think that white collar jobs are more dominant and sitting all day on a chair while eating fastfood can really contribute to lots of fat.
salinizm

Activity: 658
Merit: 252

View Profile
March 07, 2018, 12:36:47 PM

Because the fast food prices are cheaper than the rest of the countries.
Furthermore, in Europe we have the Mediterranean diet that is well-balanced

Completely agreed. Mediterranean diet is the best diet on earth. It makes people healthy and thin but On the other hand, eating too much fast food is very dangerous for human beings and That's why, american people are the fattest of all.

▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
▄█▀▄███████████▄▀█▄
▄█▀▄███████████████▄▀█▄
▄█▀▄███████ ██ ████████▄▀█▄
█ ███████▄▄ ▌ ▄▄▄ ▀██████ █
█ █████████ ▌ ████ ██████ █
█ █████████ ▌ ▄▄▄▄ ▀█████ █
█ █████████ ▌ █████ █████ █
█ █████▄▀▀  ▌ ▀▀▀▀ ▄█████ █
▀█▄▀███████ ██ ████████▀▄█▀
▀█▄▀███████████████▀▄█▀
▀█▄▀███████████▀▄█▀
▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀
JINBI

merges gold’s investment
holding value
with
blockchain technology
[
T H E   G O L D E N   I C O
────────     WHITEPAPER     ────────
]
▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
▄█▀▄███████████▄▀█▄
▄█▀▄███████████████▄▀█▄
▄█▀▄███████ ██ ████████▄▀█▄
█ ███████▄▄ ▌ ▄▄▄ ▀██████ █
█ █████████ ▌ ████ ██████ █
█ █████████ ▌ ▄▄▄▄ ▀█████ █
█ █████████ ▌ █████ █████ █
█ █████▄▀▀  ▌ ▀▀▀▀ ▄█████ █
▀█▄▀███████ ██ ████████▀▄█▀
▀█▄▀███████████████▀▄█▀
▀█▄▀███████████▀▄█▀
▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀
Pancho95

Activity: 226
Merit: 102

View Profile
March 07, 2018, 03:07:24 PM

It is because of using much more fastfood than in europe. Faster lifestyle and not doing anything like walking, excercising or some other things.
skymberloh

Activity: 111
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 07, 2018, 03:11:58 PM

Seriously.  In both the East and the West, everybody asks this question.

Loading image...

Oh, dear me.  Pardon, I must go AFK to bathe my eyeballs in bleach.

Why!?

(This thread is self-moderated, because I don’t want to inadvertently create yet another spam megathread for idiots trying to bump their post counts.  Illiterate one-liners and other low-quality posts will be deleted with extreme prejudice.  Let’s keep this thread fit and trim.  But here, I will not delete posts I simply disagree with.  Flame away!)

I think it is because the availability of food is high and affordable, specially when it comes to processed goods. It is in the early 2000s when they realize that the rate of obesity is extremely high and the government could not just alter the way americans live for so long.

SoliDCoiNs

Activity: 104
Merit: 1

View Profile
March 07, 2018, 03:56:16 PM

Good question,
I am from Europe and have never been in America so can't come up with a scientific analysis or a definite proof that on why americans are so overweight in general.
But I have been told by the family members since the young age that american food is brought up unnaturally with GMO topic popping once or twice every now and then. I believe their mind is shaped up by whoever (don't want to shady any institutions or organisations) so that they consume in large amounts without no self limitations. The fast food industry is amazingly successful there and the prices are the lowest of what I have been told. Obesity is real in America and there should be actions taken in order to stop it.
amishmanish
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1158

View Profile
March 08, 2018, 03:32:43 AM

Most Americans we get to see on shows/ movies or even when they show "people walking down the streets" in movies, they are all fit and smart.

The only time you see these really fat Americans are on one of those "My 500/400 Pound life".

They are fat for a lot of reasons.
It seems they eat a lot of the addictive, calorie-rich, non vegetarian food cheaply available against the comparatively costly healthier, organic food. I have heard that a normal veg-salad will cost you much more than a full-blown Mac with Soda.
The next thing, according to stereotypes,that the average american does the most is sit on a couch and watch tailor made shows like a zombie. So they eat and sit (because not much work is required of them).

I think all the pills, medical system, adulteration etc also has a role to play.

But then they are also some of the strongest, fittest people there. There seems to be an obsession in America for bigger things. Women want bigger boobs and buts, Men want still bigger schlongs and everyone wants crazy-ass biceps.. (There was this documentary titled something like "stronger, bigger" about the bodybuilding craze and how people stuff themselves with steroids to get the pumped muscles.
This craze for more and bigger things is probably what makes them gulp down large portions.

Finally, I won't be surprised if it is found out that almost all major food companies consider the average american as a target whose per capita consumption is to be continuously increased. Commercials and more stuff. (My source here is mostly the video for "Open your Eyes" by Goldfinger"..LOL).
The companies will also go and do illegal shit to make people addicted. There was this movie "The Insider" with Russell Crowe  about use of addiction-agents in Cigarettes.

Yeah, so from an outsider perspective and judging from the movie/ contemporary culture stereotypes, those should be the main reasons..
Marjo04

Activity: 408
Merit: 100

www.bitpaction.com

View Profile
March 08, 2018, 08:36:56 AM

Im not american and i just saw americans in mobies and tv shows and the americans i see there is totally fit and not fat.but maybe around the world there also fat people nit only in america its because they mostly eat in fast food they too much like soda and a lot of reasons

Digital Mutant

Activity: 420
Merit: 105

View Profile
March 08, 2018, 08:48:38 AM

Maybe Americans are more fat than in others countries, but believe me, if we continue to eat shitfood we will be all fat in one or 2 decades

Food is filled with a lot of artificial substancies that our metabolism doesn't tolerate.

The fast food culture is everywhere and this is the reason why we all will be fat soon if we don't change habits and improve our diet
o_e_l_e_o
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 18588

View Profile
March 09, 2018, 12:03:01 PM

Some interesting points raised by this thread. There are many factors contributing to the USA's obesity epidemic, however it all boils down to 2 points - eating too much and exercising too little.

I would also point out as it has been mentioned several times in this thread, that there is no convincing evidence that organic food is "good" or GMO food is "bad". Organic and non-GMO is mostly just clever marketing, making you pay more for essentially the same product.
Folajuwon56
Copper Member

Activity: 462
Merit: 1

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2018, 01:47:36 PM

Because they don't over stressed themselves and they eat junks alots

farida_y323

Activity: 308

View Profile
March 11, 2018, 08:14:53 AM

They went wrong by allowing the American Medical Association and the United States Department of Agriculture to say: you've got to go on a low fat diet. They failed to take into account that when people do that, they increase their carbohydrates. For breakfast in the morning they can eat  a sausage-and-cheese omelet, two ounces (0.06 liters) of tomato juice, and tea without sugar. Why would not they fat.
TosTeam
Copper Member

Activity: 81

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2018, 02:45:27 AM

of course, because of the food they eat and deserts like cakes, cookies, chocolates...(which are huge in size)
and because they drink sugary drinks like coke, sprite, etc. (huge in size, too)
and they mostly drive to go somewhere, never walk..
all those are the major ingredients that make them fat.

▓▓ TOSCOIN :: Cryptocurrency for real payment system. ▓▓
🕇  Announcement | WebsiteGitHub Facebook Twitter 🕇
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: