Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 07:11:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining on another planet. Possible?  (Read 6481 times)
maz

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 07:12:11 PM

I love how folk are already fleshing out the technicalities of it. Gotta love the Bitcoin community...
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bumpk1nK

Activity: 265
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 07:18:21 PM

You only encouraging someone to launch another alt coin, Marscoin Cheesy

dc98wdHhcjkwleHUnBce8gd87teibN9ys38y3uTgsHG02e9-ok my keyboard works!
Insurance is a ripoff.
og kush420

Activity: 1050
Merit: 110

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 07:24:11 PM

when we are living on mars, what use will we have for bitcoins? though i like the idea of 'marscoin' /\

Moshi

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 11:11:46 PM

Mining Bitcoin on Mars is totally infeasible, as almost all blocks mined on Mars will be orphaned by the time they reach Earth. I have talked about a solution before:

Each planet will have its own locally-mined cryptocurrency (Marscoin, etc), which each have a floating exchange rate to the original Earth-based Bitcoin. Marscoins and bitcoins can be directly traded for each other in order to settle interplanetary trade balances, the only issue is the speed-of-light delay for confirmations (which is unavoidable no matter what). Naturally Bitcoin can't be mined on Mars and Marscoin can't be mined on Earth, but that's not important.

Depends on Bitcoin hashing speed on Mars, if you have more Bitcoin hashing speed on Mars, Earth Bitcoin miners will not mine much  Sad

True, whichever planet has the largest hashing power will eventually dominate. Regardless of who "wins", it's not good for Bitcoin as interplanetary currency. Only if the communication delay is negligible compared to the average block-time, will it interplanetary mining be feasible. A coin with a 24hr block-time can be mined on Earth and Mars just fine (assuming a network connection can be established of course).

Using bitcoins as interplanetary currency has been discussed here before, several times.

The only method that makes sense to me is for each planet to have their own version. Travelling from earth to Mars? Sign in to your local exchange before you go and trade some bitcoins for Marscoins. Mining bitcoins would only work for earthlings and mining Marscoins would only work for Martians.

This could get interesting when miners start hopping planets to take advantage of hashrate and price discrepencies.
dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 11:18:11 PM

By the time humans settle Mars, the block reward would have decreased significantly and will no longer be an important factor of mining. The solution, consequently, is simple: add a "second genesis block" to Bitcoin. These blocks are identical to regular blocks, except they employ a different hashing algorithm (to prevent Earth-miners from overtaking the Mars chain), and primarily deal with transactions broadcast to Mars. Interplanetary transactions will certainly take a while, as the Mars blocks will need to be broadcast to Earth, but are seamlessly integrated into the system. Transactions limited to a single planet work as expected.

Every time a new planet is settled, new genesis blocks can be created, one for each planet.
Puppet
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1040

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 11:31:47 PM

Speed of light is the "fastest internet connection" you are going to get.

This always bothered me; assume a string of (non elastic) rope from earth to Mars. If someone pulls it on earth, wouldnt it be noted instantly on Mars?
j68r

Activity: 94
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 11:41:30 PM

This always bothered me; assume a string of (non elastic) rope from earth to Mars. If someone pulls it on earth, wouldnt it be noted instantly on Mars?

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SpeedOfLight/FTL.html#4

1Bjgt6S6Mk3GsAPM4Mx4RGS4zYhoFURyCZ
dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 11:48:59 PM

Nope. Not even gravity will be noted instantly. If I disappeared Earth right this instant, Martians will only notice the change in gravity after the gravitational waves arrive, coincidentally at the speed of light.
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 3073

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2013, 11:51:03 PM

I don't see humans populating mars at all...or by the time they do, bitcoin will be obsolete completely. 

I believe Mars will be settled in just under a decade.  So do hundreds of thousands of other people.  Bitcoin will still be relevant.
http://www.mars-one.com/en/

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
BitcoinHeroes

Activity: 364

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 02:06:43 AM

I don't see humans populating mars at all...or by the time they do, bitcoin will be obsolete completely. 

I believe Mars will be settled in just under a decade.  So do hundreds of thousands of other people.  Bitcoin will still be relevant.
http://www.mars-one.com/en/

Bitcoin might be the currency of the universe. Even alien use them Smiley
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 02:55:30 AM

quantum entanglement should allow for instantaneous communication over any distance.
It shouldn't and it doesn't.

Why shouldn't it? I guess you know everything their is to know about quantum mechanics,.... better let the rest of the world know so they can give up their research.

It shouldn't and it doesn't.
I cearainly don't know everything that is to know about quantum mechanics, but I've studied quantum mechanics and quantum field theory for more than 1.5 years now.

The problem is: you can enforce a particle that is in a superposition of 2 states to bee in one of the 2 states over great distances, but you don't get to choose which of the states it gets into.

When your communication partner measures the particles, he can't distinguish between particles that were forced into one state by his measurement, and particles that were in a pure state before. So no communication with quantum entanglement

Ok so maybe you didnt quite explain it properly, but according to the way you explained it you should still be able to communicate information. you would just measure it and when it is in a state than it is a 0 and when it is in superposition than it is a 1.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 03:03:33 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do1lm9IevYE&t=5m27s

If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3042

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 03:36:41 AM

you would just measure it and when it is in a state than it is a 0 and when it is in superposition than it is a 1.
I am not even able to comprehend the degree of confusion that could provoke such a statement. To measure something means to determine its state. A particle or system of particles is always in some state or another after you measure it, by definition. Superposition can only exist as long as no measurement is performed.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 03:37:39 AM

you would just measure it and when it is in a state than it is a 0 and when it is in superposition than it is a 1.
I am not even able to comprehend the degree of confusion that could provoke such a statement. To measure something means to determine its state. A particle or system of particles is always in some state or another after you measure it, by definition. Superposition can only exist as long as no measurement is performed.

that makes sense. i was just basing my conclusions on what you said, not on my intricate understanding of quantum physics.

so i have another question. if its imposable for entangled particles to transfer information, how could you ever design a test that would show whether two particles were entangled or not. wouldn't that test require that they transfer some sort of information between each other?

Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3042

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 06:15:40 AM

so i have another question. if its imposable for entangled particles to transfer information, how could you ever design a test that would show whether two particles were entangled or not. wouldn't that test require that they transfer some sort of information between each other?
You can't tell whether two particles were entangled without knowing the state of both of them. And you can't know the state of a distant particle without measuring it and transmitting the results of that measurement across that distance, which can't be done faster than the speed of light.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 06:21:17 AM

You can't tell whether two particles were entangled without knowing the state of both of them. And you can't know the state of a distant particle without measuring it and transmitting the results of that measurement across that distance, which can't be done faster than the speed of light.

k that also makes sense

leannemckim46

Activity: 420

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 02:56:44 PM

Its not like we ganna ran out of space. But anyway, its possible to mine on another planet since they send their robot there and is able to control from earth. So the connection is fast enough Smiley

██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
RISE
FTWbitcoinFTW

Activity: 476

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 03:04:33 PM

I see bitcoin.
Bitcoin everywhere !!

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2013/10/nasa-internet-laser/

Lost coins only make everyone else's coins worth slightly more. Think of it as a donation to everyone.
it has lots of buttery taste..
zuerdemon

Activity: 114
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 03:18:14 PM

Bitcoin might be the currency of the universe. Even alien use them Smiley

This could help Bitcoin if aliens wanted to trade, but only in exchane for Bitcoin  Smiley

But back to topic, Bitcoin does not need high speed Internet at all to work. With Electrum client you dont need to download the blockchain
Ecurb123

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 06:11:22 PM

Maybe the best solution would be to have another coin just for Mars, then there could be a rather slow trade market.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: