Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 10:26:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 ... 88 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Network Attack on XVG / VERGE  (Read 29425 times)
BitPotus

Activity: 1050
Merit: 604

View Profile
April 04, 2018, 08:36:01 PM
Merited by ACP (1)

When Ocminer tells you that Shit hit the Fan, Shit hit the fucking fan.

Verge fanbois better listen the fuck up.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
cchub

Activity: 560
Merit: 101

Migranet ITO

View Profile
April 04, 2018, 08:38:08 PM

if im not wrong they fixed it bug could be happen on any coin even bitcoin so lets  not blame them for bug lets blame them for not fixing it so fast

It cannot happen in bitcoin because bitcoin doesn't have such a system. Instead, bitcoin relies on proof-of-work only.

❉❉❉ Migranet ❉❉❉  [MIGRATION。SIMPLIFIED 。]
▐| Global immigrationpowered by AI & blockchain |▌
TELEGRAMTWITTERFACEBOOKYOUTUBEINSTREAGRAM
aciddude

Activity: 179
Merit: 27

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2018, 08:40:53 PM

nice a new version of the famed timewarp attack.. very interesting.

yep.. we pushed a quick fix and most pools have already updated.. we're already working on a whole new block verification process.

we're kinda glad this happened and that it wasn't as bad as it could have been.

Hmm, you guys are aware that the "fix" you pushed actually IS a hardfork ? So your blockchain snapshot is not valid anymore, the wallet's won't sync up from scratch anymore and the current chain is simply not usable anymore with that new "fix" ?

Your change simply disagrees with the attackers blocks, the first block I see from the attacker was 2007365 - so the wallets will stop syncing there and simply not progress any further.

I remember your first forking dramas when trying to fork into Tor which failed 2 times IIRC.

You should immediately refrain from that "fix" and set a proper fork-height (at least 48h) and the chain up until the fork block MUST accept blocks with the old timestamps and blocks after that fork block then only with the new timestamp.

bumping this for awareness

how can we verify the hardfork ?

just download an updated wallet which includes the "fix" - then download the blockchain snapshot and try to sync up to the latest block...it will get stuck at 2007364

heh Yeah I'm building their wallet with the fix now.

FTC API + Block Explorer https://fsight.chain.tips
ChekaZ
Legendary

Activity: 1884
Merit: 1005

View Profile
April 04, 2018, 08:41:18 PM

Great post ocminer, thanks for this valuable information & awesome to see the newbie accounts pop up and say its fake and fud Cheesy

BTC: 1Ges1taJ69W7eEMbQLcmNGnUZenBkCnn45
FTC: 6sxjM96KMZ7t4AmDTUKDZdq82Nj931VQvY
Polonex

Activity: 213
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 04, 2018, 08:49:26 PM

How can one initiate an attack such as this?

Do you need step by step instructions?

Yes
IDCToken

Activity: 7

View Profile
April 04, 2018, 08:54:14 PM

Can confirm it is still exploitable, will not abuse it futher myself but fix this problem immediately I'll give Verge some hours to solve this otherwise I'll make this public and another unpatchable problem.
ico_fond

Activity: 21

View Profile
April 04, 2018, 08:54:44 PM

So if I transfer XVG from exchange to my wallet there's the risk that my coins will be lost due hardfork?

ChekaZ
Legendary

Activity: 1884
Merit: 1005

View Profile
April 04, 2018, 08:59:41 PM

Github XVG:

"justinvforvendetta replied 2 hours ago
i'm glad this happened now. it's got us working on a whole new method for block and transaction verification =]"

Yeah, maybe work on a new verification method for blocks if he dev doesnt even know that nMaxClockDrift is in seconds..

static const int64 nMaxClockDrift = 2 * 15;        // fifteen minutes

BTC: 1Ges1taJ69W7eEMbQLcmNGnUZenBkCnn45
FTC: 6sxjM96KMZ7t4AmDTUKDZdq82Nj931VQvY
bitcoinwallet1972

Activity: 6

View Profile
April 04, 2018, 09:00:28 PM

i,m just a little seed and dont have any tech skills,verge is really a sollid part of my portfolio.
i have a question if the buck stops @ block  2007365 and will stop syncing there and not progress any further.
then the blockchain will stop and payments will stop with it so wouldend there be a lot of spam in the telegram and discord from people who are not getting there transactions thrue?
i hope i can get a anwser to my question because FUD is the right statement of my state of being right now and asking these questions in discord or telegram is like putting your head in a sling right about now.... Cry
i just want to protect my investment and really believe in what verge represents but my $$$ are more important

greetings from a little seedling  Roll Eyes
OiMonetka

Activity: 3

View Profile
April 04, 2018, 09:00:58 PM

U can't fix it through time... Why wouldn't u fix it through the prefix of current readable algorythm? I don't know how hard is it to realise, but (1) u may call each reachable algorythm with the new block with the prefix. Like for the SHA-256 - 00A-, DH - 00B-, Crypt - 00C-, NightCrypt - 01N-, Keccak - 01K-, Lyra - 012-,  X11 - 00D-, X15 - 01D-, Blake - 01B-, Quibit - 00Q-, Quark - 01Q-... etc
(2) Randomise it. (3) Implement Not-in-a-row accessable algorythm. Done. Too hard? - skip (1)
boxalex

Activity: 420
Merit: 13

View Profile
April 04, 2018, 09:01:44 PM

Great post ocminer, thanks for this valuable information

Totally agree. ocminer should get rewarded with some bigger amount of XVG from Verge for showing them a lot of their problems.
GJ ocminer. Rarely seen such informative and excelent described problems on a forum. Hope you keep up the good work.
IDCToken

Activity: 7

View Profile
April 04, 2018, 09:03:14 PM

Hey Verge Team,
get some real developers and fix your code.
We have found another 2 exploits which can make quick hashes aswell.

The (soon) Bits Team.
phm87

Activity: 172
Merit: 101

Mining pool operator @ https://www.unimining.net

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2018, 09:05:15 PM

yep.. we pushed a quick fix and most pools have already updated.. we're already working on a whole new block verification process.

Hmm, you guys are aware that the "fix" you pushed actually IS a hardfork ? So your blockchain snapshot is not valid anymore, the wallet's won't sync up from scratch anymore and the current chain is simply not usable anymore with that new "fix" ?

Your change simply disagrees with the attackers blocks, the first block I see from the attacker was 2007365 - so the wallets will stop syncing there and simply not progress any further.

I remember your first forking dramas when trying to fork into Tor which failed 2 times IIRC.

You should immediately refrain from that "fix" and set a proper fork-height (at least 48h) and the chain up until the fork block MUST accept blocks with the old timestamps and blocks after that fork block then only with the new timestamp.

Thank you ocminer, I hope that dev coin team will fix this problem and warn pools in a timely manner if a fork should be done. i'd be happy that we revert the coins mined by the attacker.

From what I know they won't roll back and just move on.. However, they still must do the hardfork in a proper way

I'd prefer that XVG coin dev team decide to roll back to cancel the coins mined during the hack, it is better I think.

What do you think guys ?

⚠️🚀 https://www.unimining.net 🚀⚠️ Low fee, multi algo pool | 2 hr payout | No registration required. ⚠️🚀 https://www.unimining.net 🚀⚠️
SacredRonin

Activity: 191

View Profile
April 04, 2018, 09:07:33 PM

@OP

As an avid Verge supporter I'm actually glad you did what you did. Thanks for helping.

Don't listen to the radicals on both sides.

Seems the issue is fixed, let's all move on and be happy this happened now and not later.

Finally! A VALID response from VergeFam! Thanks Ragnarok for posting something of value!
OneNattyLitecoin

Activity: 356
Merit: 335

If you don’t believe, why are you here?

View Profile
April 04, 2018, 09:18:57 PM

Thank you ocminer, I hope that dev coin team will fix this problem and warn pools in a timely manner if a fork should be done. i'd be happy that we revert the coins mined by the attacker.

From what I know they won't roll back and just move on.. However, they still must do the hardfork in a proper way

I'd prefer that XVG coin dev team decide to roll back to cancel the coins mined during the hack, it is better I think.

What do you think guys ?

A rollback?

XVG will be judged accordingly.
Dogedarkdev
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1009

$XVG - The Standard in Crypto as a Currency!

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2018, 09:33:16 PM

we are not doing a rollback and we are preparing a fork to patch this up.

_///// [$XVG] ★★★★★WE ARE ON THE VERGE ★★★★★ [MULTI-ALGO] /////_
bitcoinwallet1972

Activity: 6

View Profile
April 04, 2018, 09:36:25 PM

sorry tryd to make a quote from my last post.... but made a qoute from some one else here

i just made a paymen from Binance : Completed XVG9.9 2018-04-04 23:20:54 Address:   DLv25ww5CipJngsKMYemBTBWH14CUpucxX

to the verge fundraise adress : 4th Apr 2018 23:23:52   d9480b0f0b95bb5ec8a066d93b54fcd8b97c7b7c0ee83effe4ad95b80f004a83   + 9.90000000

so i think my investment is safe for now,i was really hoping to get a fair reaction from one of you Huh

thanks anyway for making a contribution in making the verge blockchain more reliable

good luck and happy trading(mining) to you
aciddude

Activity: 179
Merit: 27

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2018, 09:39:03 PM

just download an updated wallet which includes the "fix" - then download the blockchain snapshot and try to sync up to the latest block...it will get stuck at 2007364

Confirmed.    client stalls at block 2007364

FTC API + Block Explorer https://fsight.chain.tips
Dogedarkdev
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1009

$XVG - The Standard in Crypto as a Currency!

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2018, 09:50:06 PM

Confirmed.    client stalls at block 2007364

yeah we removed that, and we're doing a full fork update with extra block verifications. will be ready by tmrw =]

_///// [$XVG] ★★★★★WE ARE ON THE VERGE ★★★★★ [MULTI-ALGO] /////_
boxalex

Activity: 420
Merit: 13

View Profile
April 04, 2018, 09:51:16 PM

we are not doing a rollback and we are preparing a fork to patch this up.

Sorry to mess up this thread and topic a bit, but after i do not get for hours an answer on twitter, neither does the email function on the Verge homepage work, nor does someone respond on the Verge Bitcoin thread i have to try my luck here.

I visited some hours ago the official Verge Twitter profil to read the news about the hash hack. While reading the tweed i noticed several messages offering a compensation for the attack by Verge. Send x Eth and you get some bonus back. Sounded legit to me as it was affilated to the hash attack and i suffered from it as well having had some hours only orphaned blocks on all my baikals, hence i fall victim to this damn scam on the official twitter page.

Now, while i have myself for sure some vault for this i'am seriously angry about how on the official verge twitter page 100s of scams and fake messages that say they got the ETH back are tolerated and nobody cares about it?!?! How is this possible. After i realized i got scammed i even made a post in this tweet that its a scam and to remove it asap, nothing happened and people still fall after that scam. Only on that scam by now 12+ Eth have been transfered the last hours.

Damn, i'am not a twitter guy and very rarely use it, but from an official Verge twitter profil i personal await its clean and at very least if this for some reason is not possible that there are warning messages about these scams!!!! But no, nothing, the whole official Verge Twitter profil is FULL of scams that are tolerated and people like me, fall victims to it. Fine, i lost some 1.8 ETH, but hourly these scams seems to collect a huge amount of ETH that way and nobody there at Verge cares?

Seriously, so far i wondered about the twitter decision to ban crypto, but i begin to understand the decision. They must get shitload of complains from victims like me.....

And what makes me even more angry ... no response:
- Messaged some hours ago verge on twitter .... nothing, scams are staying and getting more and more
- Put a tweet on the Verge tweet to remove the scams .... nothing, scams are just staying there
- posted in the official bitcointalk Verge thread, nothing ......
- tried to email Verge about the ongoing scams .... email function on the homepage isn't even working, it just loads forever. And after 5 attempts to load it still loads after 2 hours, lol.

I'am writting this as a XVG miner and lover, but this all makes me really sad and angry .....
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 ... 88 »
  Print  

Jump to: