Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 07:58:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ... 88 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Network Attack on XVG / VERGE  (Read 29440 times)
siege3967

Activity: 42
Merit: 1

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 12:46:28 AM

https://nlpool.nl/site/block?id=561
http://yiimp.eu/site/block?id=562

yeah pools are still finding blocks, and this wont be an issue anymore shortly. we will be pushing an update and contacting all pool admins.

also, to clarify, this isn't a hack, it's an exploit/attack on mining, and will be resolved very soon. of course i'm calm, this happens in crypto all the time.

how much eth has been stolen this year? this is insignificant in contrast.

My jaw is on the floor reading this

Quite an obscene thing for a lead dev to say right? "Hey at least we're not getting exploited as much as the 2nd most popular crypto."
boxalex

Activity: 420
Merit: 13

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 12:49:25 AM

Kinda off topic - Really hurts seeing all those dudes on the new Verge Tweet getting scammed by those "Send me ETH and I'll send you more ETH back" scams.
Wonder how many people get burned off crypto due to those kind of scams.

Dude it is not just the VERGE twitter there are 'dudes' being scammed right now on almost all the crypto tweets.

Than in my opinion with every official announcement, statement, whatever, there should be some warning added that some 100s of scam attempts are following the tweet .... In my opinion even if the account/profil holder can not do much, like deleting these posts, at least he should be responsible for adding some preventive measures as much as he can after he is aware of these scam practices taking place every time, not?

There is a reason why people trust well know official pages/profiles more than some random pages, and this is right now exposed by these scammers while the profil/site owners do just .... nothing to protect their visitors.

i understand where your comming from,and i am in agreement with what you say
but maybe its better that twitter takes its responsibility and makes it a all crypto related twitter acc banner or something like that
but to me the quoted post was to mutch putting the empathis on the 'new verge tweet'. thats all

Nope, i have no verge agenda. I'am a verge miner for quiet some time now, i like the coin (at least so far) and it would make no sense to bash a given coin while actively mining and holding it. Its in the XVG thread(s) because it happened there and its somehow directly related to the hash attack as the scam advert wrote: "We are sorry for the attack, get compensated here..." which made some sense while being still frustrated with having mined for nothing with all baikals for 3 hours, and that on the official Verge XVG profil. I for sure would not have fallen into it under other circumstances.
nerreus

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 12:51:57 AM

Kinda off topic - Really hurts seeing all those dudes on the new Verge Tweet getting scammed by those "Send me ETH and I'll send you more ETH back" scams.

Dude it is not just the VERGE twitter there are 'dudes' being scammed right now on almost all the crypto tweets.

Yeah I know, they are just getting more crafty and adapted fast to the announcement.
But it just bothers me that Twitter does not try to counter these kind of scams,
though the guys scamming would probably find a way around it either way.
Not blaming Verge as there is not much that can be done on their side.
Sorry for derailing a bit.

siege3967

Activity: 42
Merit: 1

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 12:52:57 AM

yeah pools are still finding blocks, and this wont be an issue anymore shortly. we will be pushing an update and contacting all pool admins.

also, to clarify, this isn't a hack, it's an exploit/attack on mining, and will be resolved very soon. of course i'm calm, this happens in crypto all the time.

Yep, only maybe 3.9 million coins exploted. Totally normal.  Not weird at all.  Everything is okie dokie.

I actually think I might have found 3 wallets that were used to collect the fruits of the exploit. They have around 70m in total.
Dogedarkdev
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1009

$XVG - The Standard in Crypto as a Currency!

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2018, 12:57:31 AM

Yep, only maybe 3.9 million coins exploted. Totally normal.  Not weird at all.  Everything is okie dokie.

I actually think I might have found 3 wallets that were used to collect the fruits of the exploit. They have around 70m in total.

no, 70mill was not stolen.

_///// [$XVG] ★★★★★WE ARE ON THE VERGE ★★★★★ [MULTI-ALGO] /////_
Dogedarkdev
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2018, 12:58:04 AM

Yeah I know, they are just getting more crafty and adapted fast to the announcement.
But it just bothers me that Twitter does not try to counter these kind of scams,
though the guys scamming would probably find a way around it either way.
Not blaming Verge as there is not much that can be done on their side.
Sorry for derailing a bit.

twitter needs human verification fast, this is happening to most crypto projects right now. at least almost all of the top 30 coins.

boxalex

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 01:04:02 AM

twitter needs human verification fast, this is happening to most crypto projects right now. at least almost all of the top 30 coins.

Totally agree on that one. I tried for about 6 hours know to report that scam somehow, get through to support, 0 chance.

However. You guys are well aware of these scam practices at least on the tweet last time i checked it from about 90 messages at least 50 have been scams or scam supporting messages. So no way you are not aware of it. Why not adding something on your twitter profil to prevent visitors like me meanwhile until twitter takes some action??

I mean, for example, what would it cost to make it like this and do your part in the name of prevention XVG followers get scammed??

We had a small hash attack that lasted about 3 hours earlier this morning,
it's been cleared up now. We will be implementing even more redundancy
checks for things of this nature in the future! $XVG #vergefam
!! Never send crypto to anybody if asked in this tweet !!

bitcoinwallet1972

Activity: 6

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 01:04:17 AM

Than in my opinion with every official announcement, statement, whatever, there should be some warning added that some 100s of scam attempts are following the tweet .... In my opinion even if the account/profil holder can not do much, like deleting these posts, at least he should be responsible for adding some preventive measures as much as he can after he is aware of these scam practices taking place every time, not?

There is a reason why people trust well know official pages/profiles more than some random pages, and this is right now exposed by these scammers while the profil/site owners do just .... nothing to protect their visitors.

i understand where your comming from,and i am in agreement with what you say
but maybe its better that twitter takes its responsibility and makes it a all crypto related twitter acc banner or something like that
but to me the quoted post was to mutch putting the empathis on the 'new verge tweet'. thats all

Nope, i have no verge agenda. I'am a verge miner for quiet some time now, i like the coin (at least so far) and it would make no sense to bash a given coin while actively mining and holding it. Its in the XVG thread(s) because it happened there and its somehow directly related to the hash attack as the scam advert wrote: "We are sorry for the attack, get compensated here..." which made some sense while being still frustrated with having mined for nothing with all baikals for 3 hours, and that on the official Verge XVG profil. I for sure would not have fallen into it under other circumstances.

Sir i feel for you but was not replying to you was replying to the post from   nerreus " Really hurts seeing all those dudes on the new Verge Tweet getting scammed by those "Send me ETH and I'll send you more ETH back" scams "
and i really believe that given the circumstances i would have to be on my guard not to fall for the same thing.
so there is/was no disrespect intended to you or nerreus was just saying it was not JUST verge related.
all tweets related to crypto get a scam tweet in the manner related to the tweet released,thats the whole thing that makes it work.

i wish you well
kilrcola

Activity: 2

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 01:07:26 AM

Totally agree on that one. I tried for about 6 hours know to report that scam somehow, get through to support, 0 chance.

However. You guys are well aware of these scam practices at least on the tweet last time i checked it from about 90 messages at least 50 have been scams or scam supporting messages. So no way you are not aware of it. Why not adding something on your twitter profil to prevent visitors like me meanwhile until twitter takes some action??

I mean, for example, what would it cost to make it like this and do your part in the name of prevention XVG followers get scammed??

We had a small hash attack that lasted about 3 hours earlier this morning,
it's been cleared up now. We will be implementing even more redundancy
checks for things of this nature in the future! $XVG #vergefam
!! Never send crypto to anybody if asked in this tweet !!

Never send anyone crypto unless you are purchasing an item. It's common sense.

Yes. Rather Off Topic.
Let's move on and focus on the Original Post.
Post another Topic relating to this - This isn't the right place.
boxalex

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 01:14:40 AM

Sorry for derailing the original topic a bit but this topic was my only chance to get someone from verge after nobody answered on twitter for hours, the email https://vergecurrency.com/send-an-email is not working and and and.

The original topic is of course of much more importance. Sorry to everybody for the bit offtopic and derail.
Dogedarkdev
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2018, 01:15:44 AM

Sorry for derailing the original topic a bit but this topic was my only chance to get someone from verge after nobody answered on twitter for hours, the email https://vergecurrency.com/send-an-email is not working and and and.

The original topic is of course of much more importance. Sorry to everybody for the bit offtopic and derail.

we've already covered the OP. i thought his post about the twitter scams was relevant.

bitcoinwallet1972

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 01:19:06 AM

dude peace and love to you and all that concern you
sparkholiday

Activity: 2

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 01:44:42 AM

we've already covered the OP. i thought his post about the twitter scams was relevant.

Oh, bullshit you have.
AnabolicRampage

Activity: 9

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 01:54:00 AM

maybe pretend to give a shit about your community that's constantly buying your coin?
CA_TD_investor

Activity: 41

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 01:58:47 AM

So.... you covered a massive vulnerability by declaring it insignificant because "others get hacked too"

By covering an actively exploited attack vector you should (at the very least):

1. mitigate it (maybe the commit you made helped, maybe not, time will tell)
2. explain how it happened to the community in great detail so everyone is familiar with the actual risk of the attack
3. explain what measures are taken to ensure it will not happen again
4. Humbly ask for renewed trust by showing signs of improvement, don't deflect blame or disappointment by pointing at others failures

At least that's what I'd do if my cryptocurrency just got massively exploited...

Or tell people their ideas and opinions don't matter because they "Aren't invested in XVG".   This is crypto, what you do, everyone sees.   Fucking up this isn't good for the entire scene so please stop trying to minimize it. 
My faith in this team has been shaken greatly by this incident, not because of the incident itself, but due to the teams response.   

l0ud has some very good points here and you still have time to do all these things to try and make it right by your miners, investors and community.
13mileon

Activity: 4

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 02:03:16 AM

Ethereum is also subject to 51% attacks, as is I think btc, but not sure. It's such an obvious hack that no one does it because they'll for sure not get away with it. This is not news
bluejeanballa

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 02:23:10 AM

Exploit is being abused rapidly right now. Anyone can check the block explorer to verify.
Motngay2002

Activity: 5

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 02:53:35 AM

BUG againt
https://sv1.uphinhnhanh.com/images/2018/04/05/vxg.png
Zepp74

Activity: 57

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 02:57:54 AM

This is getting old fast. I'm done mining this
Gdecessus

Activity: 35

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 03:06:31 AM

Hacker just sent 3100 xvg from one of his address
https://verge-blockchain.info/address/D5Gz63joDNteuMJSMuiD153hQHPN626ryw
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ... 88 »
  Print  

Jump to: