Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 08:59:06 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 ... 88 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Network Attack on XVG / VERGE  (Read 29440 times)
blindgatsby

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 04:15:06 PM

Some people are mistaking "being attacked" as being transparent. Something actually happening isn't "drama" - it's truth and facts. Just because someone brings something up and to the point that it's happening and a huge problem isn't someone stirring up drama. Quit being a child and fix your coin.

and here it is the first brand new message from a brand new account! This predicable FUD start to annoy please use more intelligent method to spread it! Grin

Chill ghosthunter. I've been lurking a while and nothing has ever made sense to comment on but when I see adults, or so I think, thinking everything is ad hominem or similar I wanted to reply. I've never held verge so maybe I don't have a bet in this but I develop so relax. Did I say anything for FUD-use? No. OCMiner has pointed out a large issue and all you can think is "stop spraying negativity on my coin".
niab

Activity: 6

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 04:16:24 PM

despite the incompetency of XVG devs, ocminer shouldn't be praised for this. He just made this whole incident much worse. So much for the fame.
banjo22

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 04:17:45 PM

https://cointelegraph.com/news/cryptocurrency-verge-responds-to-hacking-claims-by-launching-accidental-hard-fork

just a catalogue of errors with this coin
this is probably one the most shilled and pumped coins on twitter, sick of seein g it at every turn

just hope the innocents get out before the whales dump their loads on them
i guess they can't even send their cons to exchange to dump them at this stage

socalled devs should be ashamed

catalogue? only reported what ocminer said...

i guess they can't even send their cons to exchange to dump them at this stage

LOL exchanges and pools works really well.

Do you missed the train Guido and need to buy at dips?  Grin

there were no issues with any of the exchanges. pools found orphans during the attack. other than that there was no effect on regular users.
Yeah no effect lmao, 20m extra XVG out there. Investors didnt pay for that shit

No seriously are you trolling?

Verge wasn't an ICO so there are no investors, only speculators, this is an important distinction because it means that verge devs aren't legally responsible for what happens to it.
tomey

Activity: 42

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 04:18:39 PM

Thank you ocminer for clarification and learning experience and thank you VergeDev Justin (?) for Action and also the learning experience and the allmost "only" mineable GPU coin since days/ weeks. I even found x17 algo last week finally.  Grin
You both should go along. Don't get ugly. Drink a Beer and laugh about later maybe. Wink

BTW: One newbie question concerning the following.

2. It's possible to blacklist certain addresses within the blockchain. So if you know on which addresses hacked funds reside, you can simply "blacklist" them directly in the codebase of the coin.
    For example you know that the attacker has used address "123abc123acb123abc" as the root for his hacked funds. You can now - at anytime - update your wallet code and just say
    "orphan all transactions with the root address "123abc123acb123abc". So even if the hacker moves the funds NOW or in one year, it won't happen as you've blacklisted the originating address.
    This was done previously also, not on myriad but on another coin - I can also find that commit for you.

This frightens me. So it would be possible for Governments or other entities to erase any BTC or Altcoin?

This is really frightening! What do they need for that? Some secret Key for Seed Server or what is needed?
LinuxDude

Activity: 8

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 04:22:06 PM

https://cointelegraph.com/news/cryptocurrency-verge-responds-to-hacking-claims-by-launching-accidental-hard-fork

just a catalogue of errors with this coin
this is probably one the most shilled and pumped coins on twitter, sick of seein g it at every turn

i guess they can't even send their coins to exchange or sync wallets to dump them at this stage

socalled devs should be ashamed

My Wallet synced fine but that was on a fresh install w/ blockchain files from Apr3. It did get passed all blocks and sent coins from Binance to my Wallet and back just fine.
blindgatsby

Activity: 7

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 04:23:06 PM

So will there be a fork of XVG now?  will all the people that have been trading before the exchanges closed lose their coins to the old blockchain?

Now this is a sensible set of questions. Rather than point fingers FUD FUD FUD. I'm glad you're using your analytical brain and thinking "well, this may actually have consequences". Thank you.
siege3967

Merit: 1

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 04:24:15 PM

despite the incompetency of XVG devs, ocminer shouldn't be praised for this. He just made this whole incident much worse. So much for the fame.

If OC miner didn't come out with this, the dev would have continued as if nothing happened. He still doesn't know how to fix the code.
CHIEF56

Activity: 126
Merit: 2

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 04:24:50 PM

This frightens me. So it would be possible for Governments or other entities to erase any BTC or Altcoin?

This is really frightening! What do they need for that? Some secret Key for Seed Server or what is needed?

Yes. And therein lies the problem.
banjo22

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 04:24:55 PM

Thank you ocminer for clarification and learning experience and thank you VergeDev Justin (?) for Action and also the learning experience and the allmost "only" mineable GPU coin since days/ weeks. I even found x17 algo last week finally.  Grin
You both should go along. Don't get ugly. Drink a Beer and laugh about later maybe. Wink

BTW: One newbie question concerning the following.

2. It's possible to blacklist certain addresses within the blockchain. So if you know on which addresses hacked funds reside, you can simply "blacklist" them directly in the codebase of the coin.
    For example you know that the attacker has used address "123abc123acb123abc" as the root for his hacked funds. You can now - at anytime - update your wallet code and just say
    "orphan all transactions with the root address "123abc123acb123abc". So even if the hacker moves the funds NOW or in one year, it won't happen as you've blacklisted the originating address.
    This was done previously also, not on myriad but on another coin - I can also find that commit for you.

The blacklisting would have to be accepted by majority of the miners devaluating the non blacklisting old chain (likely to zero), there is no entity who can decide that, it's miners or one could say the network itself.
bitdaric
Copper Member

Activity: 236
Merit: 17

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2018, 04:28:09 PM

we had same attack in starting day but now problem solved  Smiley
cryptotum88

Activity: 379
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 04:29:21 PM

Some people are mistaking "being attacked" as being transparent. Something actually happening isn't "drama" - it's truth and facts. Just because someone brings something up and to the point that it's happening and a huge problem isn't someone stirring up drama. Quit being a child and fix your coin.

and here it is the first brand new message from a brand new account! This predicable FUD start to annoy please use more intelligent method to spread it! Grin

Chill ghosthunter. I've been lurking a while and nothing has ever made sense to comment on but when I see adults, or so I think, thinking everything is ad hominem or similar I wanted to reply. I've never held verge so maybe I don't have a bet in this but I develop so relax. Did I say anything for FUD-use? No. OCMiner has pointed out a large issue and all you can think is "stop spraying negativity on my coin".

1)I stated fact, your account is brand new and that was your first message

2)I don't own any Verge

3)Ocminer had a very wrong behavior. You first talk to devs let sort them out a quick fix, then explain to the world what is happening. Not the "vice versa".

4)This is a drama because what happened sucks but a fixed went out and by quoting CryptoYeff
at the end of the day what did we lose? 20-30 million coins--- who gives a sh!t-- means nothing compared to max supply---- we lost half a day of mining? not the end of the world.
bitcoinexplorer

Activity: 420
Merit: 255

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 04:29:57 PM

the 1st step would be to stop your pool, and notify miners that its stopped for now. 2nd would be to contact us. 3rd, let us get something ready to fix it instead of invite the entire forum population to join in the attack. after your initial post the rate of blocks increased 10x. you say you want to end the drama, but never in my life have i seen more drama from a single person. you even quoted me in your OP with something i never said lol

I just hope this attack won't push your partners to back out from the partnership you are expected to announce in mid April.
Please recommend a pool where we can mine Verge on Myr Gros algo.

Thanks.
-Lani-

Activity: 73

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 04:30:05 PM

was at 13:51:05 .. That means the hacker is mining one block per second !

Nice hashrate indeed Smiley
Lw2017
Copper Member

Activity: 278

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2018, 04:30:26 PM

drama is posting it on bitcointalk looking for drama , bit hypocritical ocminer posting whats only going to cause more drama then accusing verge dev or being dramatic lol

EUNO.CO
Proof Of Stake (POS), Proof Of Work (POW), Masternodes, 50 Million max supply and almost instant wallet to wallet transactions.
ninjam

Activity: 84

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 04:30:47 PM

I actually stopped mining about 6 hours before this exploit happened, I noticed that in previous hours my hourly earnings dropped from about 15 per hour to only 2 xvg per hour.
bitcoinexplorer

Activity: 420
Merit: 255

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 04:32:05 PM

I also had bad experience with ocminer where instead of talking to me they directly posted WRONG rumor about me which was later condemned by many bitcoiners.
siege3967

Merit: 1

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 04:40:06 PM

1)I stated fact, your account is brand new and that was your first message

2)I don't own any Verge

3)Ocminer had a very wrong behavior. You first talk to devs let sort them out a quick fix, then explain to the world what is happening. Not the "vice versa".

4)This is a drama because what happened sucks but a fixed went out and by quoting CryptoYeff
at the end of the day what did we lose? 20-30 million coins--- who gives a sh!t-- means nothing compared to max supply---- we lost half a day of mining? not the end of the world.

He initially approached the dev who laughed him off. What is he supposed to do?
Tarlatata

Activity: 102
Merit: 2

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 04:40:55 PM

the 1st step would be to stop your pool, and notify miners that its stopped for now. 2nd would be to contact us. 3rd, let us get something ready to fix it instead of invite the entire forum population to join in the attack. after your initial post the rate of blocks increased 10x. you say you want to end the drama, but never in my life have i seen more drama from a single person. you even quoted me in your OP with something i never said lol

You seriously peoplewill be maning some hacked pool to join the attack and try to overcome that already establised hacked chain ?

And you say nothing was agaisnt the consensus ?

What a clueless dev.
mpapageo

Activity: 5

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 04:43:14 PM

at least 10 new accounts only in previous page some created just to give 1 answer or FUD answer...this is getting ridiculous  Grin

And best drama of the year goes to...

Mine was a first post, older account, and a legit question, fwiw. I think ocminer answered it (inadvertently) in his long post.
Patuba

Activity: 63

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 04:44:00 PM

is this safe to mine again? seeing its back up on yiimp pool

I would say no. I have been mining on the yiimp pool for over an hour and have 0 confirmed blocks.

You need to wait until you have 140 confirmations; which you don't have yet-- that's why you haven't been paid.

It has usually been pretty fast in the past. That's why I assumed it wasn't good yet. I've looked at the oldest one and it's up to 119 confirmations so I'll know in a little bit if it's good.

Everything has been going alright on yiimp pool.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 ... 88 »
  Print  

Jump to: