Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 10:13:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 ... 88 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Network Attack on XVG / VERGE  (Read 29437 times)
dillsp88

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 04:50:58 PM

Everyone forgot how Supernova conducted an attack 51 on Bitcoin Gold?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Dash2017

Activity: 50

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 04:52:06 PM

Is there a reliable pool where you can mine Verge with Myriad-Gröstl?
BBBoi

Activity: 5

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 04:52:21 PM
Last edit: April 05, 2018, 06:10:32 PM by BBBoi

1)I stated fact, your account is brand new and that was your first message
2)I don't own any Verge
3)Ocminer had a very wrong behavior. You first talk to devs let sort them out a quick fix, then explain to the world what is happening. Not the "vice versa".
4)This is a drama because what happened sucks but by quoting CryptoYeff
at the end of the day what did we lose? 20-30 million coins--- who gives a sh!t-- means nothing compared to max supply---- we lost half a day of mining? not the end of the world.

Are really this dense or are you just pretending to be? What do you mean drama? Losing .1% of the total supply through an exploit: "no big deal".
This isn't fud you dense ***** this is truth. There is no uncertainty here, verge has a critical bug that is STILL live.

OCminer did everything exactly the way he should have done.
After contacting the dev team and getting laughed at(it is working as intended?Huh??)
Seeing as that it's an ongoing attack his loyalty should always lie with his miners first and the devs of random coins second.
He didn't only raise public awareness without exploiting it but also mentioned solutions.
The verge dev should be getting on his goddamn knees to thank this man this man for pointing out what is happening without benefiting from it himself.

Now if we look at yesterday with the knowledge we have today what can we conclude?
1. The "fix" didn't fix it at all.
2. There was blatent lying on their twitter(not only massively underplaying the gravity of the exploit(small hash attack), it didn't just last 3 hours and they didn't fix it either).
3. The dev should be working overtime to try to fix this thing instead of barking nonsense on this site and reddit, he has his shill....marketing team for that.
4. The "fix" was copy pasted from peercoin, just as the "wraith protocol" was copy pasted from opalcoin.

The ridiculousness of this situation is baffling.
Justin what are you doing??? You've made so much money from this coin how is it possible that you can't hire competent coders to hotfix this and other things if you can't do it yourself???

Edited typos
Gdecessus

Activity: 35

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 04:55:29 PM

Privacy coin that will track someone wallet?  Huh
Also how can you take a coin seriously when theres a leak of over 20 million coins GONE from the hackers wallet. and is there a explanation to WHERE is the coins gone? As far as I know I was able to deposit XVG in quite few exchanges even after binance locked deposits up
samspaces
Legendary

Activity: 1453
Merit: 1030

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 04:56:16 PM

Losing 1% of the total supply through an exploit: "no big deal".

20 million is about 0.1% and not 1%. Without the exploit a big mining farm with multiple algo's could have mined the same. Not taking sides here, lets keep it accurate.
CA_TD_investor

Activity: 41

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 04:56:34 PM

despite the incompetency of XVG devs, ocminer shouldn't be praised for this. He just made this whole incident much worse. So much for the fame.

Bullshit.  
He tried to tell them in Discord and got chased out.  
Don't believe someone trying to cover their ass with everything to lose, believe the person who has lots vested and stands to lose not only his work but his reputation.  
Why would OCMINER try and ruin this coin?  I'm sure he's made TONS off it through his mining pools.  No reason for him to remove coins for fun or spend a half day trying to help rectify the issue.
CA_TD_investor

Activity: 41

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 04:58:53 PM

but never in my life have i seen more drama from a single person. you even quoted me in your OP with something i never said lol

Exact quotes and inference are subjective and in this case, you seem to have blown him off at the initial point of contact.   Not his fault if you don't care about 1 Billion dollars of OTHER peoples money.   

https://imgur.com/GfJNU68

Hows that all caps and bold working for ya?  

OC is right.   Get off your throne.   You're MESSING AROUND WITH PEOPLES MONEY RIGHT NOW, acting like it ain't no thing!  
Have fun with your TokenPay announcement on the 17th.   Your new initiates may not know but that shit is old news.  
Hope you make it out of this game unscathed, because you're looking damn incompetent for now.

I for one am grateful for OCMINER and am pushing all my Supernova donations to 2%.
bigfish321

Activity: 90
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 04:59:58 PM

Okay guys, as the shit keep hitting the fan harder and harder here I need to take a few steps to actually end that drama for me:

Suprnova will not reopen any of it's XVG/Verge pools for mining whatsoever. You can mine it freely on any different pool if you like. Withdrawals are possible of course.

This will be my last dealing with XVG. I don't like to get cheated and blamed. As a miner myself I care for what I mine and I care for others as well - you can take it or leave it.

I get why you're pissed off and I'm a total noob here, but I gotta say that I think they need you ocminer.

WE need people like you running the pools and keeping an eye on things for the rest of us. In this quickly evolving space we need a lot more than straight up profit-takers. We need people who give a shit about doing this thing right.

I hope you change your mind about XVG. I'd use your pool at double the fee exactly because you care about more than profits.

I don't agree about the part about never mining Verge no matter what.  We don't make statements like this and we'll go back to mining Verge after a period of stability.  It seems like pool operators seem to let themselves get overtaken by emotion constantly, rather than simply looking at the best way to make money.

On the other hand, I agree with where he says that he doesn't trust Verge.  The $12,000 we lost is a huge amount of money.  Cryptocurrencies are going to be reaching the bottom of this bubble cycle later in the year, and we need to sell and save as much money as possible to weather the period where bitcoins are worth $1000 or $2000 before the next bubble starts.  That money could pay a developer's expenses for more than a month, and imagine all the new features we could add with that.  This is not some sort of game.  Real people's lives are at stake.  We just paid someone to move across the country for us, picking up his entire life.  The action yesterday increases the risk that he did all that for nothing.  I personally don't think that many people here understand this.

Taking those two points together, we don't make policy based off emotions or because we truly want to wholeheartedly support a particular coin.  The sole purpose of our pool (and likely those of other calm and rational business owners) is to make as much money for us and our customers and to keep people employed, and mining Verge is not a reliable way to do that.  If the circumstances change, then we'll re-enable Verge.

lost me at 1-$2k btc
CryptoYeff

Activity: 8

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 05:00:58 PM

2)I don't own any Verge
3)Ocminer had a very wrong behavior. You first talk to devs let sort them out a quick fix, then explain to the world what is happening. Not the "vice versa".
at the end of the day what did we lose? 20-30 million coins--- who gives a sh!t-- means nothing compared to max supply---- we lost half a day of mining? not the end of the world.

Are really this dense or are you just pretending to be? What do you mean drama? Losing 1% of the total supply through an exploit: "no big deal".
This isn't fud you dense ***** this is truth. There is no uncertainty here, verge has a critical bug that is STILL live.

OCminder did everything exactly the way he should have done.
After contacting the dev team and getting laughed at(it is working as intended?Huh??)
Seeing as that it's an ongoing attack his loyalty should always lie with his miners first and the devs of random coins second.
He didn't only raise public awareness without exploiting it but also mentioned solutions.
The verge dev should be getting on his goddamn knees to thank this man this man for pointing out what is happening without benefiting from it himself.

Now if we look at yesterday with the knowledge we have today what can we conclude?
2. There was blatent lying on their twitter(not only massively underplaying the gravity of the exploit(small hash attack), it didn't just last 3 hours and they didn't fix it either).
3. The dev should be working overtime to try to fix this thing instead of barking nonsense on this site and reddit, he has his shill....marketing team for that.
4. The "fix" was copy pasted from peercoin, just as the "wraith protocol" was copy pasted from opalcoin.

This is a ridiculousness of the situation is baffling.
Justin what are you doing??? You've made so much money from this coin how is it possible that you can't hire competent coders to hotfix this and other things if you can't do it yourself???

its .more like .1%...
LinuxDude

Activity: 8

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 05:07:36 PM

2)I don't own any Verge

Are really this dense or are you just pretending to be? What do you mean drama? Losing 1% of the total supply through an exploit: "no big deal".

OCminder did everything exactly the way he should have done.

This is a ridiculousness of the situation is baffling.

its .more like .1%...

He can't do simple math.
BBBoi

Activity: 5

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 05:09:08 PM

its .more like .1%...
20 million is about 0.1% and not 1%. Without the exploit a big mining farm with multiple algo's could have mined the same. Not taking sides here, lets keep it accurate.

Typo, meant to post .1% already guessed around 17mil yesterday(page 4 if im not mistaken).
I"ll correct it though seeing as that the attacks have started again he'll have well over 20mill by now, haven't looked further into it seeing as that the exact amount is not that important, 20M, 80M, 100M it all boils down to the same thing:

How can anyone possibly say it's no problem and just be alright with it? Seriously what Huh

He can't do simple math.
He missed a period and thus his entire argumentation is bull? What strain of shrooms are you on? Would love to have a referral seems like it's high quality stuff.
ruinous

Activity: 94
Merit: 3

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 05:12:03 PM

The Verge team allowed their coin to be exploited (maybe knowingly?). I'm not surprised the coin is no longer profitable to mine when I woke up this morning. I'm not a big miner but I pulled my rigs to another as soon as it was apparent the exploit was still occurring. Like others stated here shares from mining started to slow and then practically stopped. Even after the "fix" was still happening and hence allowed to continue to happen. Great work ocminer, good luck Verge team. Thanks for all the fish.
testingtester

Activity: 13

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 05:31:13 PM

with the 4th try my wallet is now synced. dunno why it was hanging all the time before.
kabit9

Activity: 853
Merit: 114

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 05:35:50 PM

never did like XVG much.   i'm glad i never had any... dont plan to either, shows the sincerity of the devs.

melpheos

Activity: 557
Merit: 5

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 05:44:49 PM

When i read that i think to myself : Damn, those devs are bloody smart
Rubberduck59

Activity: 340
Merit: 100

NEM <3

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 05:47:10 PM

This is yet another setback for Verge. It's truly a horrible project, overhyped by McAfee..
OCMiner did the right thing coming forward with this. Would the devs even have mentioned it?

I've rarely seen such a terrible way to handle a problem like this.. 20.000.000 extra XVG isn't a minor exploit

DeepOnion    ▬▬  Anonymous and Untraceable  ▬▬    ENJOY YOUR PRIVACY  •  JOIN DEEPONION
▐▐▐▐▐▐▐▐   ANN  Whitepaper  Facebook  Twitter  Telegram  Discord    ▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌
Get $ONION  (✔Cryptopia  ✔KuCoin)  |  VoteCentral  Register NOW!  |  Download DeepOnion
samspaces
Legendary

Activity: 1453
Merit: 1030

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 05:50:08 PM

never did like XVG much.   i'm glad i never had any... dont plan to either, shows the sincerity of the devs.

You're 'glad' you didn't keep a coin that went from 1 sat to 2000? Ok.
ktru19

Activity: 181
Merit: 1

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 05:51:48 PM

is this safe to mine again? seeing its back up on yiimp pool

I would say no. I have been mining on the yiimp pool for over an hour and have 0 confirmed blocks.

You need to wait until you have 140 confirmations; which you don't have yet-- that's why you haven't been paid.

It has usually been pretty fast in the past. That's why I assumed it wasn't good yet. I've looked at the oldest one and it's up to 119 confirmations so I'll know in a little bit if it's good.

Everything has been going alright on yiimp pool.

thanks started mining again hopefully no more issues
bitcoinexplorer

Activity: 420
Merit: 255

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 06:01:09 PM

is this safe to mine again? seeing its back up on yiimp pool

I would say no. I have been mining on the yiimp pool for over an hour and have 0 confirmed blocks.

You need to wait until you have 140 confirmations; which you don't have yet-- that's why you haven't been paid.

It has usually been pretty fast in the past. That's why I assumed it wasn't good yet. I've looked at the oldest one and it's up to 119 confirmations so I'll know in a little bit if it's good.

Everything has been going alright on yiimp pool.

thanks started mining again hopefully no more issues
Can you tell me on which pool are you mining?
TheNewAnon135246
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1989

฿uy ฿itcoin

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 06:03:29 PM

@OP, that chat log is comedy gold!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 ... 88 »
  Print  

Jump to: