Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 03:30:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: PRE [ANN] CureCoin development continues....  (Read 94917 times)
cygnusxi (OP)

Activity: 397
Merit: 251

CureCoin Lead Dev

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2013, 08:20:23 AM
Last edit: December 23, 2013, 11:26:26 PM by cygnusxi

New 11/14/2013 - Conference call with devs of curecoin and Stanford university on Tues 19th of Nov

Curecoin launch as of now is going to be delayed. Plans to work with Pande Labs at Stanford university will soon be discussed between Pande Labs team and Curecoin devs!

I will post on update asap when I get more news.

Network security from hashing is good. Making money is great. Curing Cancer, Alzheimer's, Huntington's, preventing viruses, and designing next-level pharmaceuticals is awesome. What if we could put these together, to build a coin secured and run by crypto, mined with SHA256, and supported by cancer-curing research?

Announcing Curecoin!

What benefits does it provide?
Most currencies are either in the CPU/GPU stage, or in the ASIC stage. CureCoin can be earned with both. Folders use high-end GPUs and CPUs to fold proteins, earning a proportional portion of coins set-aside automatically by the minting process for their contributions. Miners mine with SHA256 ASICs as usual, securing the blockchain for the CureCoin network. Whether you are heavily-invested in ASIC equipment or still have GPUs and CPUs, you can participate. Due to the nature of folding (diverse, constantly changing, not easily predictable), GPUs and CPUs will both always be relevant, so an investment in consumer hardware isn't wasted.

How is it different?

CureCoin allows owners of both ASIC and GPU/CPU hardware to earn. CureCoin puts ASICs to work at what they are good at--securing a blockchain, while it puts GPUs and CPUs to work with work items that can only be done on them--protein folding. While still having a secure blockchain, it supports, and thus is supported by, scientific research. While it isn't technically 'backed' by scientific research (there's no central authority you can visit to trade coins for scientific research) the coin has intrinsic value as both a currency and as a system of purchasing a tradeable representation of medical research. Similar to the idea of carbon offsets, someone with money can buy some CureCoins which represent a proportional amount of scientific/medicinal research, while someone with tech know-how can also contribute to the folding effort, doing the hands-on work, and gain profit. The value imbued into each unit of the currency from the folding network it represents would add additional traction and inertia to the coin's trading value. As time goes on and the amount of folding done for the network increases, the amount of research that each coin represents grows.

How does the network maintain balance?

Since the daily total from network output from both mining and folding are the same, an increase in miners will subsequently raise the scarcity of the currency (per capita), resulting in folding becoming even more profitable and in-demand. Vice-versa, an increase in folding power will likewise indirectly cause a delayed increase in the network security. Pegging the reward of each type of work to a constant value allows the change to hit a brick wall in changing the currency distribution, which causes other parts of the equation to expand--mining/network security, and folding/coin value. This value in medical research and network security both act to influence the USD/CUR trading value. As the folding and hashing efforts grow, the currency becomes more scarce per capita, creating a general increasing trend of monetary value. Just like any other crypto, CureCoin is a currency, but in this case, one that has more adding to its value than cryptographic security.

Is CureCoin limited to only protein-folding?

No! As the network evolves, additional scientific computing projects can be easily added, in which case the folding reward would become a scientific-computation reward, and would be split fairly between various projects (including CPU-only ones!), and could be done so in either a way to encourage people to balance the projects, or in such a way that people can do whatever project they wish, and receive the same or very similar profits.

What are the details?

Mining: 32 coins per block (start)
1 block per minute
Block-halving every 1,051,200 blocks (for an increase in value)

Folding: 32 coins per minute (start)
Reward-halving every 1,051,200 blocks
Rewards processed on a daily basis, based on points earned

How does this benefit someone with GPU/CPU power?

Rather than mining alt currencies with a (in comparison to ASIC and FPGA equipment) very inefficient hash-generator which uses large amounts of electricity, you can do protein folding (which uses less electricity), earn great returns, contribute to a variety of great computational scientific research, and decrease the wear-and-tear on your precious hardware. Indirectly, you also cause increases in ASIC mining power through network rebalancing. Additionally, NVidia cards are great at folding!    

How does this benefit someone with ASIC power?

As someone with ASIC mining power, you can help increase the network security of CureCoin, earn good money from your work (through the proof-of-work block reward of CureCoin), and indirectly support folding efforts through network rebalancing.

How does this benefit an investor or speculator?
If you are going to invest in a crypto, CureCoin is a great choice, as it has more intrinsic value than any other alternate currency based on its pseudo-backing (support) from computational scientific research, and allows you to profit by supporting life-saving computational research. Due to CureCoin's mission, CureCoin will grow quickly, and will likely attract positive media attention.

How is the currency divided up?

CureCoins go to three main areas: Folders, Miners, and Developers. The folders and miners both get 45% of the coins in the network. The other 10% is dedicated to CureCoin developers, and will be used for paying for development costs (such as hiring professional programmers, paying for infrastructure, etc.), and for giving back to the community (folding hardware giveaways, faucets, covering 0% mining pools, etc.).

We will have a team of at least 3 people standing by for tech support if you need help folding for the first time.

Current folding support members include experienced folders including Vorksholk, Yeltz, and myself, CygnusXI.

TBA at launch time
Where do I start?
Wallet Windows binary:
Wallet Linux binary:
Wallet Mac OS X binary:
Wallet source code:
Launch ready mining pool #1: will be hosted by crypto-expert
Launch ready mining pool #2: will be hosted by decoinpools
Folding pool: TBA
Folding getting-started guide: http://curecoin.us/index.php?topic=9.0
Forum: http://www.curecoin.us
IRC Channel:
Block Explorers:
Exchanges:
Profitability Calculator:
Development Blog:
Video Tutorials:
Folding@Home Explanation:
Folding@Home Research:
Folding Team Statistics:
Signature advertisement banners:
Website advertisement banners:
Bounties:

Fold Proteins, earn cryptos! CureCoin. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=603757 MergeFold with FoldingCoin https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=781352.0
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Vorksholk
Legendary

Activity: 1713
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2013, 08:24:35 AM

Awesome! Anyone who needs folding help, PM me and I'll get ya fixed up Smiley

VeriBlock: Securing The World's Blockchains Using Bitcoin
https://veriblock.org
btbrae

Activity: 680
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 08:26:35 AM
Last edit: November 11, 2013, 08:55:34 AM by btbrae

I'm going to guess some part of this is not open source. Am I right?

Anyway, great project, wish it all the best.
Vorksholk
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2013, 08:34:35 AM

I'm going to guess some part of this is not open source. Am I right?

Correct, some components of Stanford's F@H project haven't been opensourced. The Gromacs they use is licensed under non-GPL and non-commercial terms.

You can find out a bit more about Stanford's partially-open-source approach here:
http://folding.stanford.edu/home/faq/faq-opensource/#ntoc7 as well as mention of support for community mods and more.

CureCoin's coin portion, however, will be completely open source. Supporting software is largely trivial, but we are aiming towards high transparency, a major component of which is code freedom.   

btbrae

Activity: 680

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 08:54:32 AM

Correct, some components of Stanford's F@H project haven't been opensourced. The Gromacs they use is licensed under non-GPL and non-commercial terms.

You can find out a bit more about Stanford's partially-open-source approach here:
http://folding.stanford.edu/home/faq/faq-opensource/#ntoc7 as well as mention of support for community mods and more.

CureCoin's coin portion, however, will be completely open source. Supporting software is largely trivial, but we are aiming towards high transparency, a major component of which is code freedom.   

I'm just wondering if your software is going to be cloned to something that doesn't reward 10% to developers. As good intentioned as this is and I have no problem with development costs, there are always greedy people and you have to consider it when valuing the coin.
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 09:22:37 AM

I'm watching this. Very cool.

more or less retired.
r3animation

Activity: 756

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 09:37:01 AM

Very nice. Wishing you guys good luck.

I'll be joining in with my small ASICs.
Adamlm

Activity: 822
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2013, 09:37:51 AM

very interesting, watching Smiley

erk

Activity: 826

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 11:15:38 AM

When's the launch?

SpeedDemon13

Activity: 518

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2013, 11:22:15 AM

Cool. Sounds good.

CRYPTSY exchange: https://www.cryptsy.com/users/register?refid=9017 BURST= BURST-TE3W-CFGH-7343-6VM6R BTC=1CNsqGUR9YJNrhydQZnUPbaDv6h4uaYCHv ETH=0x144bc9fe471d3c71d8e09d58060d78661b1d4f32 SHF=0x13a0a2cb0d55eca975cf2d97015f7d580ce52d85 EXP=0xd71921dca837e415a58ca0d6dd2223cc84e0ea2f SC=6bdf9d12a983fed6723abad91a39be4f95d227f9bdb0490de3b8e5d45357f63d564638b1bd71 CLAMS=xGVTdM9EJpNBCYAjHFVxuZGcqvoL22nP6f SOIL=0x8b5c989bc931c0769a50ecaf9ffe490c67cb5911
Vorksholk
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2013, 01:50:05 PM

When's the launch?

We're shooting for 11/16/2013 Smiley

Fablio2

Activity: 464
Merit: 252

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 01:55:17 PM

When's the launch?

We're shooting for 11/16/2013 Smiley
16/11/2013
adoalli

Activity: 646

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 02:04:15 PM

16/11/2013

? hour: ? minute

sumantso
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 02:05:44 PM

Sounds interesting.

Fablio2

Activity: 464
Merit: 252

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 02:06:26 PM

16/11/2013

Day-Month-Year

month-day-year I don't like. It is simply illogical Roll Eyes
r3animation

Activity: 756

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 02:21:55 PM

If there's a launch time, please put it in UTC. Smiley
techbytes
Legendary

Activity: 1694
Merit: 1054

Point. Click. Blockchain

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 03:07:50 PM

The moment we all been waiting for is just days away.

I'm new to the pool scene and will put one up to support curecoin.  Will be mining as well.   Grin

-tb-

Wipeout2097

Activity: 840
Merit: 255

SportsIcon - Connect With Your Sports Heroes

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 03:14:57 PM

AT LAST someone pulls this off! I love primecoin for it's intrinsic utility on top of making some coins, but this is outstanding!

Now, what safeguards do you have to validate the folding work? What proof-of-work is there? What prevents someone from submitting garbage?

███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██▀       ▀█       ▀████████████        ▀█         █▀       ▀██
██   ▀██▄▄▄█   ██   ████████████   ███   ████   ████   ▀██▄▄▄██
███▄     ▀██       ▄████████████       ▄█████   █████▄     ▀███
██▀▀▀██▄   █   █████████████████   █▄  ▀█████   ████▀▀▀██▄   ██
██▄       ▄█   █████████████████   ██▄  ▀████   ████▄       ▄██
██       ██▀      ▀█████████████    ▀██   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▄██▄   ████████████     ▀█   █████████████████████
████   ███   ████████   ████   █   ▄  ▀   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▀██▀   █   ████   █   █▄     █████████████████████
██       ██▄      ▄███        ██   ██▄    █████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████                                                             ████████████████████████████████████████████████

████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████          ████████████████                                 ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
►►  Powered by
BOUNTY
DETECTIVE
Vorksholk
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2013, 03:15:59 PM

16/11/2013

Day-Month-Year

month-day-year I don't like. It is simply illogical Roll Eyes

If there's a launch time, please put it in UTC. Smiley

16/11/2013

As we get closer, we'll put up both a count-down clock in OP and an exact time to be watching for it. Smiley

Vorksholk
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2013, 03:22:50 PM

AT LAST someone pulls this off! I love primecoin for it's intrinsic utility on top of making some coins, but this is outstanding!

Now, what safeguards do you have to validate the folding work? What simple proof-of-work is there? What prevents someone from submitting garbage?

Great questions! Since the folding isn't actually integrated into the blockchain but is rather an independent reward system (therefore the network keeps its cryptographic security, and protein folding doesn't bloat the blockchain), the work validation is done by the work-providing network. To start off, we are only using Folding@Home, but as the project grows, the beauty of the separate GPU/CPU computation pool is that more can be created to allow work done for other awesome projects as well. The F@H project handles stopping submitted garbage, and has some downright awesome protection against exploits. Work provided by work servers is provided redundantly, so if one person submits junk it's easy to pick out the incorrect workunits, and points will, for them, not be rewarded. Smiley

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: