Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 10:07:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: PRE [ANN] CureCoin development continues....  (Read 94917 times)
MisO69
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1005

My mule don't like people laughing

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 03:49:51 PM

Looks like a coin with a lot of potential. Just imagine all the people running folding at home, now they can actually make money at the same time! Awesome idea!! Can't wait for the launch, I'm going to throw everything I have at this one.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Wipeout2097

Activity: 840
Merit: 255

SportsIcon - Connect With Your Sports Heroes

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 03:50:48 PM

AT LAST someone pulls this off! I love primecoin for it's intrinsic utility on top of making some coins, but this is outstanding!

Now, what safeguards do you have to validate the folding work? What simple proof-of-work is there? What prevents someone from submitting garbage?

Great questions! Since the folding isn't actually integrated into the blockchain but is rather an independent reward system (therefore the network keeps its cryptographic security, and protein folding doesn't bloat the blockchain), the work validation is done by the work-providing network. To start off, we are only using Folding@Home, but as the project grows, the beauty of the separate GPU/CPU computation pool is that more can be created to allow work done for other awesome projects as well. The F@H project handles stopping submitted garbage, and has some downright awesome protection against exploits. Work provided by work servers is provided redundantly, so if one person submits junk it's easy to pick out the incorrect workunits, and points will, for them, not be rewarded. Smiley
Very nice, I'm convinced for the time being. I'm going to mine this, that's for sure.

███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██▀       ▀█       ▀████████████        ▀█         █▀       ▀██
██   ▀██▄▄▄█   ██   ████████████   ███   ████   ████   ▀██▄▄▄██
███▄     ▀██       ▄████████████       ▄█████   █████▄     ▀███
██▀▀▀██▄   █   █████████████████   █▄  ▀█████   ████▀▀▀██▄   ██
██▄       ▄█   █████████████████   ██▄  ▀████   ████▄       ▄██
██       ██▀      ▀█████████████    ▀██   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▄██▄   ████████████     ▀█   █████████████████████
████   ███   ████████   ████   █   ▄  ▀   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▀██▀   █   ████   █   █▄     █████████████████████
██       ██▄      ▄███        ██   ██▄    █████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████                                                             ████████████████████████████████████████████████

████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████          ████████████████                                 ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
►►  Powered by
BOUNTY
DETECTIVE
Vorksholk
Legendary

Activity: 1713
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2013, 04:07:51 PM

Looks like a coin with a lot of potential. Just imagine all the people running folding at home, now they can actually make money at the same time! Awesome idea!! Can't wait for the launch, I'm going to throw everything I have at this one.

Yeah, if people can get paid more than the cost of their electricity for folding proteins, it's a real win-win, and this coin will always be relevant for GPUs and CPUs, so investments into those kinds of hardware don't have to be scary, like the are with all the other alts these days. Smiley

VeriBlock: Securing The World's Blockchains Using Bitcoin
https://veriblock.org
Sampey
Legendary

Activity: 2632
Merit: 1040

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 04:13:50 PM

Is there a guide on how to mine with Asic? Thanks
Brewins
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 04:17:34 PM

This seems pretty cool, looking forward to getting my fold on!
Vorksholk
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2013, 04:42:11 PM

There will be a guide at launch, however it will be very similar to other coins, you just point your SHA256-based ASIC at any one of the various pools we plan to have ready on launch. Smiley

Additionally, you could of course solo-mine, and we'll have a guide for that too!

Sampey
Legendary

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 04:46:46 PM

There will be a guide at launch, however it will be very similar to other coins, you just point your SHA256-based ASIC at any one of the various pools we plan to have ready on launch. Smiley

Additionally, you could of course solo-mine, and we'll have a guide for that too!

Ah ok!
Because i was reading this guide : http://curecoin.us/index.php?topic=9.0 and i was thinking there are different ways to mine :-)
Vorksholk
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2013, 04:47:51 PM

Ah ok!
Because i was reading this guide : http://curecoin.us/index.php?topic=9.0 and i was thinking there are different ways to mine :-)

Oh yeah, that's for the folding setup if you are using a GPU/CPU Smiley ASICs can't do protein folding unfortunately, so they provide their service in securing the blockchain Smiley

Sampey
Legendary

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 04:50:09 PM

Perfect! I think i will mine with Triple combo GPU+CPU+ASIC  Cheesy
Vorksholk
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2013, 04:51:45 PM

Awesome Cheesy Have you done protein folding before? Would you like some help setting it up? Smiley

Sampey
Legendary

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 04:52:54 PM

Awesome Cheesy Have you done protein folding before? Would you like some help setting it up? Smiley

No never, i will follow the guide!
Vorksholk
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2013, 07:01:17 PM

No never, i will follow the guide!

Awesome, let me know if you need any help! Smiley

Sampey
Legendary

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 07:06:08 PM

When CureCoin will be launch, i need exactly this software to mine with CPU/GPU?? http://folding.stanford.edu/
Notanon

Activity: 388
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 07:18:14 PM

The most original coin of late! Keen to fold and mine this one when it starts.
Vorksholk
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2013, 07:47:14 PM

When CureCoin will be launch, i need exactly this software to mine with CPU/GPU?? http://folding.stanford.edu/

Yup! The installer (assuming you are on Windows?) will install FAHClient which will handle all the threads for GPU/CPU mining, and the program 'FAHControl' will allow you to set settings and configure/stop/start the folder.

jdebunt
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2013, 08:10:10 PM

will definitely join this project when it goes live Smiley
rumlazy

Activity: 203
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 08:11:17 PM

Love the idea of this, but don't the folders get the short end of the stick here?  The coins are split evenly between the asics/folders but the electricity cost is significantly higher on the folding side.   Should be interesting to see how the folding side of things go over time.  I just worry the incentive will always be there for the asics but not always the folders.
Vorksholk
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2013, 08:17:25 PM

Love the idea of this, but don't the folders get the short end of the stick here?  The coins are split evenly between the asics/folders but the electricity cost is significantly higher on the folding side.   Should be interesting to see how the folding side of things go over time.  I just worry the incentive will always be there for the asics but not always the folders.

Good question! Smiley

The payouts are even for both networks, meaning all folders combined make as much as all ASIC miners combined. Therefore, it really depends. If most people jump on with ASICs, then folding would actually have better pay per kWh. To put this in perspective, a $300 ASIC and a $300 GPU would, theoretically, earn the same amount, however since a GPU uses more power, people are likely to, if buying new hardware, opt for ASIC-based, thereby increasing the relative profitability of that $300 GPU. Smiley

Due to the fixed bridge between the two portions of the network's computational infrastructure, there should always be some kind of balance maintained automatically by people adding hardware on both sides to compensate for higher per-capita coin availability in one network or the other.

When people say ASICs are more efficient, they are really saying that ASICs use less kWh per GH, but since we're comparing GH to PPD through a constant ratio, energy efficiency will be only one of many factors that affect the extend of both computational power's profit margins. Smiley

Tommo_Aus

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 08:25:05 PM

Been waiting for something like this for ages, always thought integrating Folding@Home with a coin would be excellent as so much more computing power could go to a good cause rather than mining some standard alt clone. I'd like to add this coin to my pool as well.

I'm a little confused with how folding gets counted. I see ASIC mining is as usual, join a pool and mine with cgminer et al then get rewarded by finding blocks but where's the correlation between using the Stamford client and this coin? From what I understand you use the standard Folding@Home client, how does this link into CureCoin?

Sorry if I missed this somewhere.

Tompool - http://tompool.org - a 2% fee SHA256/Scrypt/BURST/Groestl multipool supporting ANC, ASC, DGC, EZC, FLO, GLD, GME, MNC, RYC, TGC, TRC, XNC, ZET & more
rumlazy

Activity: 203
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 08:26:07 PM

Love the idea of this, but don't the folders get the short end of the stick here?  The coins are split evenly between the asics/folders but the electricity cost is significantly higher on the folding side.   Should be interesting to see how the folding side of things go over time.  I just worry the incentive will always be there for the asics but not always the folders.

Good question! Smiley

The payouts are even for both networks, meaning all folders combined make as much as all ASIC miners combined. Therefore, it really depends. If most people jump on with ASICs, then folding would actually have better pay per kWh. To put this in perspective, a $300 ASIC and a $300 GPU would, theoretically, earn the same amount, however since a GPU uses more power, people are likely to, if buying new hardware, opt for ASIC-based, thereby increasing the relative profitability of that $300 GPU. Smiley

Due to the fixed bridge between the two portions of the network's computational infrastructure, there should always be some kind of balance maintained automatically by people adding hardware on both sides to compensate for higher per-capita coin availability in one network or the other.

When people say ASICs are more efficient, they are really saying that ASICs use less kWh per GH, but since we're comparing GH to PPD through a constant ratio, energy efficiency will be only one of many factors that affect the extend of both computational power's profit margins. Smiley

Wouldn't it have been better to just merge mine the coin into bitcoin and give less reward to that side?  I mean the whole thing about this coin truly is the folding side of it, but instead of maximizing the incentive to fold, you cut the potential folding economy in half.  The more money going to the folders the more people will fold and I believe the idea behind this to get more people to fold. Whereas if it were merge mined it would get mined regardless with a high hash rate. Maybe I'm over thinking it...
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: