Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 02:54:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: PRE [ANN] CureCoin development continues....  (Read 94917 times)
ChasingTheDream

Activity: 292
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 05:03:34 AM
Last edit: March 28, 2014, 09:41:42 PM by ChasingTheDream

Gridcoin delivered its working cryptocurrency that rewards for folding which is even less centralized:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=324118.0

I just spent some more time reading up on the Gridcoin announcement thread on cryptocointalk.  As I've said repeatedly I have the utmost respect for Rob, but he is human and I believe it is fair to say he is stretched a bit thin at the moment.  If Curecoin doesn't launch then I will end up looking at Gridcoin again because I love the concept behind both of the coins as I've mentioned in my previous posts on this thread.

However, after reading the last 10 pages or so of the announcement thread on cryptocointalk it appears that Gridcoin is at a crossroads and it looks like some members are clearly trying to tilt the future of Gridcoin in their favor.  It will be interesting to see how it plays out but I'll watch from the sideline for now.

GridCoin is certainly an interesting project, though I haven't been keeping up with it much. At its current point, GridCoin rewards users only for CPU utilization if I'm not mistaken.

It is evolving fast.  Rob the developer is quite quick at enhancing his client and making other changes as the need arises.

CureCoin fills a similar niche but I believe (hope) it will be much easier to setup and use.  I'm really looking forward to getting started with it and would volunteer for testing but at this point I've got too much money tied up in my equipment.  I need to let the equipment make a little money while I'm waiting for your launch.

Is Stanford going to sign off on CureCoin?  If not will you launch anyway?  They may change their tune when they see the additional processing power added to their network because of CureCoin.  Additionally, I know the original plan was to have several devs working full time on the coin.  Is that still the plan?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Steven Lee

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 01:34:11 PM

AT LAST someone pulls this off! I love primecoin for it's intrinsic utility on top of making some coins, but this is outstanding!

Now, what safeguards do you have to validate the folding work? What simple proof-of-work is there? What prevents someone from submitting garbage?

Great questions! Since the folding isn't actually integrated into the blockchain but is rather an independent reward system (therefore the network keeps its cryptographic security, and protein folding doesn't bloat the blockchain), the work validation is done by the work-providing network. To start off, we are only using Folding@Home, but as the project grows, the beauty of the separate GPU/CPU computation pool is that more can be created to allow work done for other awesome projects as well. The F@H project handles stopping submitted garbage, and has some downright awesome protection against exploits. Work provided by work servers is provided redundantly, so if one person submits junk it's easy to pick out the incorrect workunits, and points will, for them, not be rewarded. Smiley

Make sense man. I like this coin. great work.

yshuifejng

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 04:36:04 PM

It seems this project encountered many difficulties, but I will still continue to focus its development.Hope it can live

I like free distribution      CoolCoin - Free+IPO POS. CJ5pCML7uAMDvgT514pwFvwB1ZzvxeoNPF  TheSmurfsCoin. TZxXFT6CJ8p7LHSaM8mWQtqveejzvpEusu       [ANN] PixxCoin | PoS | Wallet with built in Exchange Dice Game And Fa | Free IPO       Get GiveawayCoin(GC)? (Free 100%NO IPO NO POW,PURE POS. G*********      ShareCoin Free and Fair Distribution.   Let's flower the moon.     Coffeecoin- 100% FREE Distribution    FootballCoin(FBC):FXf6Xy5hof6GJZZhC9B5TkBi7kKKojusde   Freebiescoin- 100% Free Distribution.       Energycoin - Save Energy, Pure POS (Free IPO).
MrE78

Activity: 140

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 01:56:37 AM

One day I hope to see this coin go live.

Like CEX.IO but better SCRYPT.CC Scrypt based cloud hashing PM for script for auto reinvest
bpack

Activity: 133

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 03:16:16 PM

If there are no more accurate development plan or schedule released, I believe many people will gradually forgotten, at least will be GRC mining away popularity

pabloangello
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 03:25:33 PM

Launching this coin could paradoxically attract more attention to Gridcoin. We will have only two coins that uses miners for scientific research then.

ChasingTheDream

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 09:11:14 PM
Last edit: March 30, 2014, 09:32:38 PM by ChasingTheDream

Launching this coin could paradoxically attract more attention to Gridcoin. We will have only two coins that uses miners for scientific research then.

Possibly.  The issue with any of these coins (bitcoins or alt coins) is what can we actually do with them?  GridCoin's value is taking a beating right along with all the other alt coins at the moment and yes I'm aware of the hacking issue and that certainly didn't help, but the fact that GridCoins actually represent real work doesn't seem to matter to the market and I suspect a large part of that is because we don't have anything useful to do with the coins themselves.

If you look at coins that appear to be successful it is because their communities exploded and took matters into their own hands to offer products or services for their coin.  I'm thinking of the DogeCoin community (of which I am part of) and even that coin is taking a beating in terms of value at the moment.

I guess we need that killer app so-to-speak.  Something that will make people want the coins just so they can get the application (or use) that they can only get by having the coin.  So far no coin that I'm aware of has such an application.

I used to buy a new computer just to play a new simulation that came out.  I had no need for that computing power other than I wanted to play that game.  I'm thinking along the same lines with the coins.  We need an application that can only be purchased with these coins that makes people think WOW I want that or even better I need that!

pabloangello
Legendary

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 09:17:48 PM

Possibly.  The issue with any of these coins (bitcoins or alt coins) is what can we actually do with them?  GridCoin's value is taking a beating right along with all the other alt coins at the moment and yes I'm aware of the hacking issue and that certainly didn't help, but the fact that GridCoins "coins" actually represent real work doesn't seem to matter to the market and I suspect a large part of that is because we don't have anything useful to do with the coins themselves.

If you look at coins that appear to be successful it is because their communities exploded and took matters into their own hands offer products or services for their coin.  I'm thinking of the DogeCoin community (of which I am part of) and even that coin is taking a beating in terms of value at the moment.

I guess we need that killer app so-to-speak.  Something that will make people want the coins just so they can get the application (or use) that they can only get by having the coin.  So far no coin that I'm aware of has such an application.

I used to buy a new computer just to play a new simulation that came out.  I had no need for that computing power other than I wanted to play that game.  I'm thinking along the same lines with the coins.  We need an application that can only be purchased with these coins that makes people think WOW I want that or even better I need that!

All of the usability will come along with the mass adoption of Bitcoin. We still need more tech solutions to make it easier for people to get cryptocoins and use them.
Maybe some time in a future we will not be asked "do you pay with cash or bitcoin?" but "do you pay with cash or crypto?". Then merchant will be not concerned in what exactly crypto we pay couse every of them could be change to bitcoin automatically.

ChasingTheDream

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 09:27:21 PM

Possibly.  The issue with any of these coins (bitcoins or alt coins) is what can we actually do with them?  GridCoin's value is taking a beating right along with all the other alt coins at the moment and yes I'm aware of the hacking issue and that certainly didn't help, but the fact that GridCoins "coins" actually represent real work doesn't seem to matter to the market and I suspect a large part of that is because we don't have anything useful to do with the coins themselves.

If you look at coins that appear to be successful it is because their communities exploded and took matters into their own hands offer products or services for their coin.  I'm thinking of the DogeCoin community (of which I am part of) and even that coin is taking a beating in terms of value at the moment.

I guess we need that killer app so-to-speak.  Something that will make people want the coins just so they can get the application (or use) that they can only get by having the coin.  So far no coin that I'm aware of has such an application.

I used to buy a new computer just to play a new simulation that came out.  I had no need for that computing power other than I wanted to play that game.  I'm thinking along the same lines with the coins.  We need an application that can only be purchased with these coins that makes people think WOW I want that or even better I need that!

All of the usability will come along with the mass adoption of Bitcoin. We still need more tech solutions to make it easier for people to get cryptocoins and use them.
Maybe some time in a future we will not be asked "do you pay with cash or bitcoin?" but "do you pay with cash or crypto?". Then merchant will be not concerned in what exactly crypto we pay couse every of them could be change to bitcoin automatically.

With all the crypto issues or as some prefer digital currency issues regarding theft etc I think we have a long way to go.  However, without that killer application which I freely admit I have no idea what it will be, many people will just keep converting their coins to fiat immediately to protect themselves from the volatility which will result in downward pressure on coin values.  Of course multi-pools etc add to that as well but I don't see them going away any time soon.
pabloangello
Legendary

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 10:18:29 PM
Last edit: March 30, 2014, 11:37:05 PM by pabloangello

Possibly.  The issue with any of these coins (bitcoins or alt coins) is what can we actually do with them?  GridCoin's value is taking a beating right along with all the other alt coins at the moment and yes I'm aware of the hacking issue and that certainly didn't help, but the fact that GridCoins "coins" actually represent real work doesn't seem to matter to the market and I suspect a large part of that is because we don't have anything useful to do with the coins themselves.

If you look at coins that appear to be successful it is because their communities exploded and took matters into their own hands offer products or services for their coin.  I'm thinking of the DogeCoin community (of which I am part of) and even that coin is taking a beating in terms of value at the moment.

With all the crypto issues or as some prefer digital currency issues regarding theft etc I think we have a long way to go.  However, without that killer application which I freely admit I have no idea what it will be, many people will just keep converting their coins to fiat immediately to protect themselves from the volatility which will result in downward pressure on coin values.  Of course multi-pools etc add to that as well but I don't see them going away any time soon.

Sure that is very true I agree with every line you wrote here. This is why we can buy bitcoin and altcoins so cheap right now, couse we spend our time for something we are not so sure that will succeed in the future. We risk our own money and spend our time (a long time in my case) in this crypto wild west world. We are like adventurers that sailed on a desert island couse we found a treasure map that led us there.
So we are in a harsh and wild environment, so someones could be harmed badly during the wade through the thicket etc etc. I also experienced that (I was robbed from some my coins that were worth lots of money here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=349072.0). And our price for wiping trails if we succeed with pushing this cryptovision into the mainstream will be the fact that we will have many coins that others curious and eager will want to possess.
I'm sure that killer apps will be created and believe that it will start this year. Why? More and more serious companies and organizations are interested in cryptocurrencies and they want a piece of that cake for themselves. They have money, they have people underneath so might create really great tools that can move crypto usability and popularity to the next level. More and more projects are rising around. The crypto island starts to appear on the horizon.

I think that Gridcoin and Curecoin will be one of this alt-treasure Smiley

ChasingTheDream

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 11:23:00 PM
Last edit: March 30, 2014, 11:48:15 PM by ChasingTheDream

Sure that is very true I agree with every line you wrote here. This is why we can buy bitcoin and altcoins so cheap right now, couse we spend our time for something we are not so sure that will succeed in the future. We risk our own money and spend our time (a long time in my case) in this crypto wild west world. We are like adventurers that sailed on a desert island couse we found a treasure map that led us there.
So we are in a harsh and wild environment, so someones could be harmed badly during the wade through the thicket etc etc. I also experienced that (I was robbed from some my coins that were worth lots of money here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=349072.0). And our price for wiping trails if we succeed with pushing this cryptovision into the mainstream will be the fact that we will have many coins that others curious and eager will want to possess.
I'm sure that killer apps will be created and believe that it will start this year. Why? More and more serious companies and organizations are interested in cryptocurrencies and they want a piece of that cake for themselves. They have money, they have people underneath so might create really great tools that can move crypto usability and popularity to the next level. More and more projects are rising around. The crypto island starts to appear on the horizon.

I think that Gridcoin will be one of this alt-treasure Smiley

I think Gridcoin has some unique challenges.  I tried to mine it some time ago (over a month ago), and I never got it to work right.  There are constant updates which shows how attentive the dev is but it also shows there is a lot of firefighting going on.  I see the frustration in their forums about it even today.  Constant updates, constant forks, constant sync issues, etc.  I personally don't have the time to pursue it with my nine computers.  And yes I'm aware that the latest version of the GridCoin client has an auto-update feature that should help.

I believe CureCoin will be much easier to setup and use.  At least I hope so.  The methods these two dev teams have taken to achieve a similar goal is quite different.  I believe CureCoins approach will be much simpler to maintain with the obvious caveat that it is going to be centrally managed.  However, GridCoin is also centrally managed in a less direct way (one pool, one developer) so I don't see it being really any different in the end.

I hope both of the coins succeed but I can say the coin that is easiest to setup and use will have quite an advantage over the other.  Think of non-computer people trying to setup GridCoin.  It just isn't going to happen.  I've been working with computers daily for over 30 years and I found the GridCoin installation to be incredibly frustrating.  Now I've seen there is some collaboration with the BOINC developers as well and a new client (integrated miner) is in the works that should make things much easier.  That is definitely needed!

I can't say what it is going to be like folding for CureCoins since I have not done it yet but based on the latest information I've seen I believe we simply fold with the F@H client or a simpler F@H version being developed by the Curecoin dev's.  Then based on the amount of work submitted to F@H, we receive a payout once per day based on the amount of work we have submitted compared to all others doing the same thing.  It will be a proportional payout.  The concept seems pretty simple.  The execution is what will count.

The miners are a different element completely since mining will be ASIC friendly and CureCoin is based on the SHA-256 algorithm.  The last value I've seen is folding gets 80% of the coin distribution and mining gets 20%.

If things are different than what I recall hopefully the CureCoin dev's can point out where CureCoin currently stands.

The CureCoin approach makes things like the hack that impacted GridCoin recently simply not possible.

Edited:  Fixed a couple of typo's.

pabloangello
Legendary

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 11:41:09 PM

I think that Gridcoin will be one of this alt-treasure Smiley

I think Gridcoin has some unique challenges.  I tried to mine it some time ago (over a month ago), and I never got it to work right.  There are constant updates which shows how attentive the dev is but it also shows there is a lot of firefighting going on.  I see the frustration in their forums about it even today.  Constant updates, constant forks, constant sync issues, etc.  I personally don't have the time to pursue it with my nine computers.  And yes I'm aware that the latest version of the GridCoin client has an auto-update feature that should help.

I believe CureCoin will be much easier to setup and use.  I least I hope so.  The methods these two dev teams have taken to achieve a similar goal is quite different.  I believe CureCoins approach will be much simpler to maintain with the obvious caveat that it is going to be centrally managed.  However, GridCoin is also centrally managed in a less direct way (one pool, one developer) so I don't see it being really any different in the end.

I hope both of the coins succeed but I can say the coin that is easiest to setup and use will have quite an advantage over the other.  Think of non-computer people trying to setup GridCoin.  It just isn't going to happen.  I've been working with computers daily for over 30 years and I found the GridCoin installation to be incredibly frustrating.  Now, I've seen there is some collaboration with the BOINC developers as well and a new client (integrated miner) is in the works that should make things much easier.  That is definitely needed!

I can't say what it is going to be like folding for CureCoins since I have not done it yet but based on the latest information I've seen I believe we simply fold with the F@H client or a simpler F@H version being developed by the Curecoin dev's.  Then based on the amount of work submitted to F@H, we receive a payout once per day based on the amount of work we have submitted compared to all others doing the same thing.  It will be a proportional payout.  The concept seems pretty simple.  The execution is what will count.

The miners are a different element completely since mining will be ASIC friendly and CureCoin is based on the SHA-256 algorithm.  The last value I've seen is folding gets 80% of the coin distribution and mining gets 20%.

If things are different than what I recall hopefully the dev's can point out where CureCoin currently stands.

The CureCoin approach makes things like the hack that impacted GridCoin recently simply not possible.

Yep Gridcoin thread is full of post about problems with client etc. I hope they will solve this once and for all.

ps. In my previous post I mentioned Gridcoind and Curecoin (edited) not only GRC.

ChasingTheDream

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 03:36:00 AM
Last edit: March 31, 2014, 04:06:37 AM by ChasingTheDream

Yep Gridcoin thread is full of post about problems with client etc. I hope they will solve this once and for all.

ps. In my previous post I mentioned Gridcoind and Curecoin (edited) not only GRC.

No worries.  Smiley  I had some edits in some of my messages that were quoted as well.
Vorksholk
Legendary

Activity: 1713
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2014, 04:00:44 AM

Good discussion going on here, to clarify a few points:

1.) CureCoin 'mining' will be SHA-256, while the lion's share of the currency will be distributed to folders, who get daily payouts (as aforementioned) based on the last 24 hours of folding contributions to F@H. Client download and installation (on Windows) is extremely easy, and I'll have several guides available at launch for Linus setup as well.

2.) The usability of cryptocurrencies is an important factor in the price. While it's not the only determining piece of the puzzle (make room for speculation and manipulation!), it is certainly the long-term scope. My hope is to partner with someone (or a group of people) to develop a service where people can go from folding straight to real-world rewards (Starbucks giftcard, free food at Arby's, 5 gallons of gas at Shell), where they never have to interface with the crypto if they don't want to, but there are so many legal and technical hurdles to jump over for such a service, it's still a pipe-dream.

3.) CureCoin will be PoS, which does encourage holding of the currency, the system seems to have worked well for PPCoin.

4.) The CureCoin.us forum is back up, if people want to head over there and have a chat! Smiley Additionally, we are running the Reikicoin-based folding pool test over at cryptobullionpools.com if you want to test your hardware and earn some reikicoin. Smiley

5.) The project currently does not rely on anything from Stanford other than their public stat pages, though we would of course love Stanford's blessing, and are working to make sure the project stays within their ToS and EULA.

6.) We are still planning on a launch within April.

VeriBlock: Securing The World's Blockchains Using Bitcoin
https://veriblock.org
pabloangello
Legendary

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 10:35:21 AM

1.) CureCoin 'mining' will be SHA-256, while the lion's share of the currency will be distributed to folders, who get daily payouts (as aforementioned) based on the last 24 hours of folding contributions to F@H. Client download and installation (on Windows) is extremely easy, and I'll have several guides available at launch for Linus setup as well.

2.) The usability of cryptocurrencies is an important factor in the price. While it's not the only determining piece of the puzzle (make room for speculation and manipulation!), it is certainly the long-term scope. My hope is to partner with someone (or a group of people) to develop a service where people can go from folding straight to real-world rewards (Starbucks giftcard, free food at Arby's, 5 gallons of gas at Shell), where they never have to interface with the crypto if they don't want to, but there are so many legal and technical hurdles to jump over for such a service, it's still a pipe-dream.

3.) CureCoin will be PoS, which does encourage holding of the currency, the system seems to have worked well for PPCoin.

4.) The CureCoin.us forum is back up, if people want to head over there and have a chat! Smiley Additionally, we are running the Reikicoin-based folding pool test over at cryptobullionpools.com if you want to test your hardware and earn some reikicoin. Smiley

5.) The project currently does not rely on anything from Stanford other than their public stat pages, though we would of course love Stanford's blessing, and are working to make sure the project stays within their ToS and EULA.

Awesome to know that launch is planned on April! Will tweet about it Smiley

ChasingTheDream

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 02:49:28 PM

Nice!

I'm glad the project will move forward with or without Stanford's blessing and we will be going live some time this month!

With a PoS setup how will that impact folders / miners at the start?  Doesn't PoS require a coin in your wallet to get started?  If so how will we get an initial coin to get started?  I'm guessing this is more relevant for miners than it is for folders but thought I would ask.

Congrats on getting the CureCoin.us forum up and running again!
Vorksholk
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2014, 04:06:31 PM

Nice!

I'm glad the project will move forward with or without Stanford's blessing and we will be going live some time this month!

With a PoS setup how will that impact folders / miners at the start?  Doesn't PoS require a coin in your wallet to get started?  If so how will we get an initial coin to get started?  I'm guessing this is more relevant for miners than it is for folders but thought I would ask.

Yeah! PoS won't issue coins from zero balance, but rather will slowly grow existing balances. PoS does require coinage in you wallet to start off with, so miners who solve blocks (solo or in pools) will receive coins to their wallet that, after a period of inactivity, will begin to generate proof-of-stake earnings. Additionally, for folders who withdraw their coins from the folding pool to their own wallets, they will be able to benefit from PoS on those as well.

ChasingTheDream

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 07:48:15 PM
Last edit: April 02, 2014, 08:07:53 PM by ChasingTheDream

Nice!

With a PoS setup how will that impact folders / miners at the start?  Doesn't PoS require a coin in your wallet to get started?  If so how will we get an initial coin to get started?  I'm guessing this is more relevant for miners than it is for folders but thought I would ask.

Yeah! PoS won't issue coins from zero balance, but rather will slowly grow existing balances. PoS does require coinage in you wallet to start off with, so miners who solve blocks (solo or in pools) will receive coins to their wallet that, after a period of inactivity, will begin to generate proof-of-stake earnings. Additionally, for folders who withdraw their coins from the folding pool to their own wallets, they will be able to benefit from PoS on those as well.

Sounds like both folders and miners will need a coin to get started then.  I'm sure there will be some information on how to get started shortly before we go live but I'll ask now anyway.  How do we get a coin or fraction of a coin to get rolling?
Vorksholk
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2014, 12:05:13 PM

Nice!

With a PoS setup how will that impact folders / miners at the start?  Doesn't PoS require a coin in your wallet to get started?  If so how will we get an initial coin to get started?  I'm guessing this is more relevant for miners than it is for folders but thought I would ask.

Sounds like both folders and miners will need a coin to get started then.  I'm sure there will be some information on how to get started shortly before we go live but I'll ask now anyway.  How do we get a coin or fraction of a coin to get rolling?

The proof-of-stake generation functions once you have coinage in your wallet, but you can fold or mine to receive coins as well, with no starting balance. Basically, whether you have 0 or 1,000,000 CureCoins, mining or folding will generate the same revenue for you. However, the revenue you earn from PoS will be based on how many coins you leave in your wallet.

ChasingTheDream

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 08:53:58 PM

The proof-of-stake generation functions once you have coinage in your wallet, but you can fold or mine to receive coins as well, with no starting balance. Basically, whether you have 0 or 1,000,000 CureCoins, mining or folding will generate the same revenue for you. However, the revenue you earn from PoS will be based on how many coins you leave in your wallet.

Oh I see.  Thanks for the clarification.

I can't wait to get this started.  I'm really looking forward to it.  I'm also hoping it doesn't run my GPU's nearly has hard as I do now.  I'll probably have a bit of a heat issue going into the summer months at my current heat generation rates.  Smiley

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: