Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 01:26:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: It's getting frothy, and I'm dumping 75% of my coins  (Read 13614 times)
freebird

Activity: 414
Merit: 250

Freedom through Cryptocurrency!

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 09:08:18 PM

Gox $445 lol

wow the froth is foaming at the mouth now

I am now 90% out

the chart is now literally almost vertical lol

Keep in mind that China is still below its all-time high. It's currently 2577 on http://bitcoinity.org/markets/btcchina/CNY and the high is 2630. Assuming they break it, the current rally will keep going a lot higher.

Grantcoin: Currency with a Conscience. Distributed as charitable grants by a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt nonprofit organization. Learn more at Grantcoin.org

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jasonjm (OP)

Activity: 1246
Merit: 524

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2013, 09:12:02 PM

Gox $445 lol

I am now 90% out

Keep in mind that China is still below its all-time high. It's currently 2577 on http://bitcoinity.org/markets/btcchina/CNY and the high is 2630. Assuming they break it, the current rally will keep going a lot higher.

cant be right all the time. If it goes to $1000 so be it. No regrets here. Better to be wrong and still make a bunch of money, than be wrong and lose a bunch of money.

I just cashed in approx $100 000 usd for doing pretty much nothing.
cdog

Activity: 1036
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 09:14:40 PM

Left holding "the bag"? Sir, USD is the bag, Bitcoin is the prize.

This is what a lot of people in this thread dont understand. They are saying BTC price isnt sustainable.

How about the $100M the US treasury issues every hour? Think about that. Just think about how much $100M is, and how long 1 hour is.

Yes, the USD might be the prettiest horse in the glue factory, but its still a horse is a glue factory. Simple as that people.

BitchicksHusband

Activity: 378
Merit: 255

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 09:16:07 PM

You guys literally don't get it.  Only 5 percent can take profit.  95 percent have to get burnt.

You're right.  I literally don't get this (since, from my perspective, it isn't remotely true).  Enlighten me instead of repeating yourself.

Give examples where this has obviously happened to a new technology that followed a Sigmoid curve in the past.

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
freebird

Activity: 414
Merit: 250

Freedom through Cryptocurrency!

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 09:18:12 PM

cant be right all the time. If it goes to $1000 so be it. No regrets here. Better to be wrong and still make a bunch of money, than be wrong and lose a bunch of money.

Congrats. There's nothing wrong with following the old adage, "Bulls make money, bears make money, pigs get slaughtered." Nothing wrong with locking in some profits. But I think being in 90% fiat and only 10% bitcoin right after we broke through the all-time high might be too cautious. If China breaks it's all-time high (which could happen today) do you plan to get back in at least 50% bitcoin? I think that would be a good risk to take. JMHO.

Grantcoin: Currency with a Conscience. Distributed as charitable grants by a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt nonprofit organization. Learn more at Grantcoin.org
AndrewWilliams

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

Fourth richest fictional character

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 09:20:57 PM

You're right.  I literally don't get this (since, from my perspective, it isn't remotely true).  Enlighten me instead of repeating yourself.

Give examples where this has obviously happened to a new technology that followed a Sigmoid curve in the past.

It's like the stock market. If I can sell now and buy again at $200, I will do it.

If you hold then more power to you, but you are missing out on opportunity.

Loss of opportunity = Loss of potential profit.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 09:21:16 PM

That's a good point. I don't fault anyone for a successful strategy. You executed a clear plan and made a big profit. So what if the price goes to $1000.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
jasonjm (OP)

Activity: 1246
Merit: 524

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2013, 09:27:04 PM

So you believe it is all hype, and that bitcoin could never establish itself it as a major part of the world's digital/economic ecosystem. That is fine, however you should clearly state things like this in your opening post, as well as your reasons why. Most people on this forum disagree. Arguments are pretty unproductive when both sides can't even fully specify what they are discussing. Sadly, this is usually the case.

Did you read my post? You guys aren't debating the status of the current upward move, you are debating bitcoin's general long term outlook. For Christ's sake. Now that this has been announced, maybe the discussion will be more fruitful.

Jasonjm, why do you think that bitcoin has no long term future and will end up going to zero (or marginally above 0)? Only after your position is understood can we make any sense of your trading strategy.

I really do like the concept of bitcoin, I think it is brilliant. I think the coins could have been distributed better, and I think that because so many got the coins for so little, it makes the prices unstable, but those are minor points.

that being said, I  think the final value of bitcoin will be ZERO for 2 reasons

1) governments will never ever let bitcoin compete with their local currencies. And bitcoin has a major Achilles heel - the exchanges. Destroy the exchanges worldwide, make the banks know they are in trouble for aiding anything bitcoin, and you destroy bitcoin.
2) people are too greedy, and not everyone can withdraw their money from bitcoin. You being able to withdraw to fiat relies on the fact that the other 95% do not want to. Eventually there will be a massive cashout which will destroy the bitcoin price.

But again this is irrelevant to my trading strategy. I trade futures, options, forex etc, have been doing so for 15 years. I don't get attached to anything, I am purely here to make money. All I am doing is looking for blow off tops and panic sells in bitcoin. And bitcoin is perfect for that, because unlike the futures market for example, where I am trading against hedge funds, deep pocketed veterans, HFT bots etc etc in bitcoin I am trading against a pretty idealistic crowd of people who generally have zero trading experience (no offence to anyone).
cdog

Activity: 1036
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 09:35:18 PM

Cant lie Im rooting for a huge correction so I can scoop up some cheap coins, moving around half my fiat holdings over.

Which is weird, because I want BTC to explode and succeed but Im also selfish, because Im a human being and this is a once in a generation opportunity.
piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 09:40:17 PM

jason you make good points, you are here for the sole purpose of short-term making small amounts of USD, and your goal seems to be accomplished while also helping make the climb up less vertical. All is good Smiley I actually like more pros getting to know about bitcoins because when shit would really start hitting the fan (i.e. you would not know where to run with the stash of paper) you guys would be the ones driving price from 10k to infinity.

It is also possible that you will gradually see more and more value in storing part of your overall portfolio in BTC longterm. Right now, the faith seems weak in you Smiley Government can ban all exchanges in the world tomorrow and it won't change a thing, after the panic dissipates.

i am satoshi
BitchicksHusband

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 09:45:46 PM

yeah right and let me guess, all the buy and hold forevers are going to come back to this forum after bitcoin has crashed and claim they sold within $10 of the top.

I don't expect to sell within 10% of the "top".  I expect a stable price for many years just like Apple or Google stock.

BitchicksHusband

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 09:50:27 PM

Gox $445 lol

I am now 90% out

Cool.  Well, nice seeing you around here.  Take care.

freethink2013

Activity: 224

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 09:53:45 PM

Cant lie Im rooting for a huge correction so I can scoop up some cheap coins, moving around half my fiat holdings over.

Which is weird, because I want BTC to explode and succeed but Im also selfish, because Im a human being and this is a once in a generation opportunity.

Honestly I expected 400 today/tomorrow then approaching 500 on friday and then a correction down to 350 on sunday but now I think people will be thinking anything under 400 is a bargain just like at the last correction people thought anything under 300 is a bargain at which point we started going back up.
BitchicksHusband

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 09:54:32 PM

But again this is irrelevant to my trading strategy. I trade futures, options, forex etc, have been doing so for 15 years.

You don't say.

News flash: Bitcoin ISN'T a stock.  But no wonder you keep acting like it is.

AndrewWilliams

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 09:57:32 PM

But again this is irrelevant to my trading strategy. I trade futures, options, forex etc, have been doing so for 15 years.

You don't say.

It is subject to corrections like a stock.
freethink2013

Activity: 224

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 10:00:48 PM

We're heading for a correction. There's no doubt about that. We're rising like paypal have announced a totally safe way and easy way to buy bitcoin yet bitcoin is neither easy nor arguably safe to buy.
BitchicksHusband

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 10:02:19 PM

You don't say.

No.  It's not.  It's a technology that's being adopted.  A stock in an established company CANNOT go logarithmic for 6 years straight but a brand-new technology CAN (difference between the early years of Microsoft and IBM during the same period).  Massive difference.  And one that experienced stock traders have complete blinders about.  

A couple months of logarithmic increase that is right on schedule (which follows 4 years of the exact same logarithmic increase that they weren't here for) and they panic sell and call everyone else idiots and throw up chicken little "sky is falling" warnings.  

AndrewWilliams

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 10:28:32 PM

No.  It's not.  It's a technology that's being adopted.  A stock in an established company CANNOT go logarithmic for 6 years straight but a brand-new technology CAN (difference between the early years of Microsoft and IBM during the same period).  Massive difference.  And one that experienced stock traders have complete blinders about.  

A couple months of logarithmic increase that is right on schedule (which follows 4 years of the exact same logarithmic increase that they weren't here for) and they panic sell and call everyone else idiots and throw up chicken little "sky is falling" warnings.  

My point is that the big shakers are going to crash the price so they can buy it up cheaper. That's all.

If you think Bitcoin is going up up up, and that it's not going to correct harshly like in April, you are in for a surprise.
wobber
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 10:31:54 PM

My point is that the big shakers are going to crash the price so they can buy it up cheaper. That's all.

If you think Bitcoin is going up up up, and that it's not going to correct harshly like in April, you are in for a surprise.

+1

If you hate me, you can spam me here: 19wdQNKjnATkgXvpzmSrkSYhJtuJWb8mKs
BittBurger

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 10:39:42 PM

You don't say.

News flash: Bitcoin ISN'T a stock.  But no wonder you keep acting like it is.

Bitcoin husband nailed it.
All these finance experts telling me what bitcoin is going to do, and have been wrong .. oh ... 100% of the time.
The smartest of them finally acknowledged to me "This is something completely new.  Its not following the rules"
This is why their "knowledge" is going to be a stumbling block for them.

Bitcoin is NOT a stock.  ive been saying this over and over and over.
there are some similar aspects, but many very important ones simply dont match,

How can April happen again?   Bitcoin hasn't spiked and then dropped.  April happened.  It didn't happen twice.  Doesn't take a brain surgeon to see the different shape of the lines...

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: