Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 07:37:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: It's going to be cute when bitcoin shatters and gets destroyed  (Read 9156 times)
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2013, 08:12:17 AM

How cute, you are trying to sell your (one of thousands) alt coin on the Bitcoin Talk forum.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
JohnyBigs (OP)

Activity: 560
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 08:16:01 AM

Good luck convincing people to accept 0 Confirmations, will never happen with normal mom and pop. Secondly, for the transaction to even show up sometimes is takes a minute or longer. So even 0 Confirms are slower than Visa.

So basically I'm right, because your original claim was about the protocol, and now you're making a claim about psychology (which is as trivial a fix as what terminology an end-user client displays).

Which is it?

It is the protocol, for a transaction to be confirmed against double spends Bitcoin requires 6 confirmations, for you to be safe.

Secondly, even with 0 confirmations sometimes they take over a minute to show up.

Thirdly, A confirmed transaction is 6 confirmations which takes about anywhere from 4-24hrs. So it's the protocol.
The same protocol that makes it complicated for the average person to understand or want to understand when the transaction is confirmed.
wopwop

Activity: 252

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 08:19:28 AM

just a loser who didnt buy and lost out to astronomical gains Grin Grin

noooooob
JohnyBigs (OP)

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 08:22:03 AM

How cute, you are trying to sell your (one of thousands) alt coin on the Bitcoin Talk forum.

1st it's not my coin, just naming the most probable coin that will initiate the Bitcoin crushing, Heck something else could come out also that will crush it. That's the thing it can be any new secure protocol that offers instant transactions times.

Second, how cute you have a broken fail website, please enlighten me more about your opinion.
ex-trader

Activity: 298

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 08:22:11 AM

I re-iterate, credit cards are already inferior to Bitcoin for point-of-sale transactions without ANY confirmations whatsoever.

100% wrong.

It is consumers who decide what payment mechanism succeeds and Bitcoin is inferior for POS transactions to credit cards, since credit cards offer protection for free, whereas Bitcoin doesn't. Only a fool would pay with Bitcoins for any goods if they could pay with cards.

That is why Bitcoin will never take off for buying goods other than where it has advantages such as in very small payments or cross-border where the parties do not have access to usual methods.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 08:22:22 AM

It is the protocol, for a transaction to be confirmed against double spends Bitcoin requires 6 confirmations, for you to be safe.

An untrue statement.    Please reread Satoshi whitepaper and while your at it Meni paper of the economics of double spending.  For most transactions 1 or 2 confirmations is more than sufficient.  Nobody is going to risk $100K in block rewards to double spend a $500 purchase.

Secondly, even with 0 confirmations sometimes they take over a minute to show up.

Another false statement.   Propogation time on the network is measured in seconds.
JohnyBigs (OP)

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 08:23:18 AM

just a loser who didnt buy and lost out to astronomical gains Grin Grin

noooooob

Yep massive noob who bought at $50-$100.

You, just another Mad moron who bought at $500-800 and is getting ready to get destroyed.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 08:24:15 AM

It is consumers who decide what payment mechanism succeeds and Bitcoin is inferior for POS transactions to credit cards, since credit cards offer protection for free, whereas Bitcoin doesn't. Only a fool would pay with Bitcoins for any goods if they could pay with cards.

That is why Bitcoin will never take off for buying goods other than where it has advantages such as in very small payments or cross-border where the parties do not have access to usual methods.

Really?  If your gas station (the one you have gone to 500 times in your life and never had a problem) offered you a 3% discount everyday for paying with Bitcoin you would be a "fool" to take it?  What if Amazon.com, Papajohns, or some store you routinely use and trust did?

JohnyBigs (OP)

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 08:24:57 AM

An untrue statement.    Please reread Satoshi whitepaper and while your at it Meni paper of the economics of double spending.  For most transactions 1 or 2 confirmations is more than sufficient.  Nobody is going to risk $100K in block rewards to double spend a $500 purchase.

Another false statement.   Propogation time on the network is measured in seconds.

Ohh ok Great so 1-2 confirmations, today that would be about 4 hours. YAY Bitcoin such a great success, let me buy some Dominoes Pizza in the morning and hopefully at some random time of day get it delivered.

Secondly, incorrect I've had multiple transactions take over a minute to even show up.

Third nobody is going to accept 0 confirmations. The end.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 08:29:09 AM

If a tx took minutes to show up the the person sending it didn't send it for a few minutes.  Propogation times is measured in seconds.  Bitcoin simply could not work with propogation times in minutes.  If tx takes minutes to relay then blocks would take hours and how can a chain be built if blocks are arriving hours after they were sent.  Just because you are clueless doesn't mean Bitcoin is broken.

As for 1 confirm takes 4 hours well that is just stupid.   Did you include a tx fee?  Average time between blocks is still ~9 minutes. 

As for "nobody" accepts 0 confirm tx.  I did.  Sold prepaid cellphone cards.  0 confirm for repeat customers.   Not a single attempted double spend.  Nearly $1.3M in sales over six months.  So your wrong on "nobody".  A lot depends on the risk profile of what is being sold.

So you don't understand Bitcoin, make factual errors and thus believe you have found something (closed source, non-working website) superior.  Have fun with that.
JohnyBigs (OP)

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 08:37:58 AM

If a tx took minutes to show up the the person sending it didn't send it for a few minutes.  Propogation times is measured in seconds.  Bitcoin simply could not work with propogation times in minutes.  If tx takes minutes to relay then blocks would take hours and how can a chain be built if blocks are arriving hours after they were sent.  Just because you are clueless doesn't mean Bitcoin is broken.

As for 1 confirm takes 4 hours well that is just stupid.   Did you include a tx fee?  Average time between blocks is still ~9 minutes. 

As for "nobody" accepts 0 confirm tx.  I did.  Sold prepaid cellphone cards.  0 confirm for repeat customers.   Not a single attempted double spend.  Nearly $1.3M in sales over six months.  So your wrong on "nobody".  A lot depends on the risk profile of what is being sold.

So you don't understand Bitcoin, make factual errors and thus believe you have found something (closed source, non-working website) superior.  Have fun with that.

That's cute you sold Cheap cellphone cards with 0 Accepts. How about bigger transaction would you still sell them with 0 confirmations? Second, you a person on bitcointalk is not Joe, from Joes Pizza, or Cindy your next door neighbor. We might accept 0 confirms for small transactions but regular users will not, and if they do it's a small majority.

Third Bitcoin will die guaranteed, again feel free to get mad and sad about those words. Just like Myspace died to Facebook, and just like dial up died to cable, and millions of companies who were destroyed by the competition, Just like Altavista and Lycos by Google, and the list goes on and on.

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 08:40:05 AM

Just like TCP/IP was killed off by ....
Just like eBay was killed off by ...
Just like x86 was killed off by ...

AnonyMint

Activity: 518
Merit: 521

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 08:40:37 AM

I did.  Sold prepaid cellphone cards.  0 confirm for repeat customers.   Not a single attempted double spend.  Nearly $1.3M in sales over six months.

Did the customers have to register their identity on the simmpaks on their cellphone in the jurisdiction you sold into?

Those jurisdictions that don't is one of the last bastions of true anonymity. Won't be around much longer as the USA is effectively bullying every nation into compliance with the NWO plans.

unheresy.com - Prodigiously Elucidating the Profoundly ObtuseTHIS FORUM ACCOUNT IS NO LONGER ACTIVE
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 08:42:28 AM

I did.  Sold prepaid cellphone cards.  0 confirm for repeat customers.   Not a single attempted double spend.  Nearly $1.3M in sales over six months.

Did the customers have to register their identity on the simmpaks on their cellphone in the jurisdiction you sold into?

Those jurisdictions that don't is one of the last bastions of true anonymity. Won't be around much longer as the USA is effectively bullying every nation into compliance with the NWO plans.

No and it was US cellphone plans. I have no idea what you are talking about, but then again I usually don't.
JohnyBigs (OP)

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 08:45:02 AM

Great argument, why would they killed off? Nothing better has come to replace them. But there sure will be better coins than bitcoin. When a payment method can fully confirm within seconds and not worry about double spends, Bitcoin is dead. It might not happen this year or the next, but it will happen.

Enjoy
AnonyMint

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 08:45:18 AM

I already refuted that logic in the Problem With Altcoins thread at the following post:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=279650.msg3515394#msg3515394

You are conflating centralized standards with decentralized currencies. The latter are not subject to centralized issues that prevent competition.

In that thread above, we entirely debunked the network efforts inertia argument for BitCON.

unheresy.com - Prodigiously Elucidating the Profoundly ObtuseTHIS FORUM ACCOUNT IS NO LONGER ACTIVE
AnonyMint

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 08:46:17 AM

I did.  Sold prepaid cellphone cards.  0 confirm for repeat customers.   Not a single attempted double spend.  Nearly $1.3M in sales over six months.

No and it was US cellphone plans. I have no idea what you are talking about, but then again I usually don't.

In a few countries, one can still access the internet and send SMS anonymously using an unregistered simmpack and prepaid cards.

Btw, I am a US citizen.

JohnyBigs (OP)

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 08:46:50 AM

I already refuted that logic in the Problem With Altcoins thread at the following post:

You are conflating centralized standards with decentralized currencies. The latter are not subject to centralized issues that prevent competition.

In that thread above, we entirely debunked the network efforts inertia argument for BitCON.

Please don't hurt him, he's still in the fragile denial phase.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 08:47:37 AM

In a few countries, one can still access the internet and such anonymously using an unregistered simmpack and prepaid cards.

I guess the US is one of those countries as I never registered or provided any personal information for my prepaid smartphone.   It is T-Mobile hardly "hacker elite pro" brand.
AnonyMint

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 08:48:19 AM

Please don't hurt him, he's still in the fragile denial phase.

Ok but you are too. Transaction confirmation speed is not the main problem of BitCON right now. You are barking up the wrong feature.

And your technical understanding is a bit remiss too. Although I won't rub it in.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: