Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 06:47:29 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BFL Product Failures / Underperformance.  (Read 28090 times)
southerngentuk

Activity: 1316
Merit: 253

Sugars.zone | DatingFi - Earn for Posting

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 01:06:25 PM

30Gh/s little single, mines around 25-28

Dont think for a moment your alone.  Angry

SUGAR
██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
▄████████████████████████▄
███████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀███████
█████▀██████▀▀██████▀█████
██████████████████████████
█████████████████████▄████
████████▄████████▄████████
▀████████████████████████▀
▀▀████████████████████▀▀

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
███████████████████████████
██████               ██████
██████   ▄████▀      ██████
██████▄▄▄███▀   ▄█   ██████
██████████▀   ▄███   ██████
████████▀   ▄█████▄▄▄██████
██████▀   ▄███████▀▀▀██████
██████   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   ██████
██████               ██████
Backed By
ZetaChain

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
████████████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
██████ ▄▀██████████  ███████
███████▄▀▄▀██████  █████████
█████████▄▀▄▀██  ███████████
███████████▄▀▄ █████████████
███████████  ▄▀▄▀███████████
█████████  ████▄▀▄▀█████████
███████  ████████▄▀ ████████
████████████████████████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
DrG
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 09:34:23 AM
Last edit: June 11, 2014, 05:48:32 AM by DrG

I currently have 9 BFL 60GH singles running.  I had 10 but 1 caught fire offsite - pretty much a total loss.

3 of the Singles are now being powered by ATX PSUs because the BFL supplied PSUs have died.  One died 3 days ago - that too caught on fire but extinguished very quickly.

So for 20 components, we have 1 miner failure and 3 PSU failures. 4/20 failures. This is not counting my day 1 original Single which died after 6.5 days of use.  The RMAed unit seems to be doing much better fortunately.  If I include that it's 5/21 failures.

Only reason I keep using the BFL PSUs is because I want to see how many will die in before year end.  I have 3 ATX PSUs sitting idle but I just wanna watch this Hindenburg.

Well nothing else failed before the end of 2013 but at 6PM on 1/2/14 another BFL SC Single PSU blew.  Cost me 2 days of mining since I was out of state.  Sucks I lost some PPC but I have to do this for science.

I now have a total of 4 failed BFL SC Single PSUs.  Fortunately I was planning for this and as soon as I got back I had a Seasonic waiting.  It's always scary to reconnect it to a good PSU after reading what lightfoot found, but none of my singles have been damaged irreparably (except the one that caught fire and burnt down even warping the case).

One thing I did note is all the failed ones have an orange sticker on them.  The yellow and green stickered ones haven't died yet.

Josh, any comments?  And before you mention the power on my end - in over 2 years of mining I've only had 1 6870 die (was bad from day one with crappy VRM) and recently I've seen a couple XFX 6870s have fan failures from 2.5 years of mining at 50% fan.  Nothing else has failed as much as these BFL products (admittedly I don't own any other ASICs).

DrG
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 09:36:43 AM

I wonder what to do with all these dead BFL PSUs.  The main cables are pretty beefy and probably have some good copper, but obviously the stuff "under the hood" is crap. I can't readily recycle them other than e-waste.  Anybody want 4 dead BFL PSUs?
Bicknellski (OP)

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 09:47:11 AM

I wonder what to do with all these dead BFL PSUs.  The main cables are pretty beefy and probably have some good copper, but obviously the stuff "under the hood" is crap. I can't readily recycle them other than e-waste.  Anybody want 4 dead BFL PSUs?

Can they be recycled for metals etc?

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
Bicknellski (OP)

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 08:43:19 AM

https://forums.butterflylabs.com/post-sales-customer-service/7452-jalapenos-running-hot-high-gh-high-error-rate.html

Jalapeno's Running Hot, High GH & High Error Rate
Hi All,

I ordered 4 Jalepeno's in the Black Friday sale and had those delivered to the UK yesterday.

Upon plugging them into my hub and firing up Minepeon, I noticed that 3 of the 4 miners were running between 8 and 10gh (I initially thought, great, i never payed for any upgrade...). Of these three, one was hitting temps of 85c (!), one was hitting 70c and the 3rd was running around 50c.

The 4th Jale was running between 5 and 6gh, temps around 40c.

Having left them to mine for a few minutes, i was expecting to see the GH drop but it didn't... instead i was seeing a high number of error's (there were sometimes more 'errors' on the 3 fast jale's than the number 'accepted').

With this in mind, i decided to open the 3 hot Jale's in order to increase air flow... indeed the temps dropped but they still had a high number of errors.

My next thought was maybe minepeon isn't good enough... I then moved the devices on to my PC, loaded bfgminer and experienced the exact same thing!

Attachment 2663

Any advice would be much appreciated, having waited so long to receive these it would be a shame to RMA! Shall i even be concerned by the Accepted:Error ratio?

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
Bicknellski (OP)

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 08:45:29 AM

https://forums.butterflylabs.com/post-sales-customer-service/7443-my-miner-defective.html

01-09-2014, 06:58 PM #1
My Miner Is defective.
Ok so I ordered in June finally got my order some time in December It ran for a month. I unplugged it once and now it won't restart.
I'd like to talk to Customer support but can't find a number to call(the one listed doesn't have customer support option).

01-09-2014, 07:54 PM #2
SLok

You have to use the rma page in your bfl account https://products.butterflylabs.com/customer/account/ If possible try another power supply first.

Bicknellski (OP)

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 08:48:18 AM

https://forums.butterflylabs.com/post-sales-customer-service/7181-asic-went-zombie-after-month-use.html

2-28-2013, 01:51 AM #1

ASIC went zombie after a month of use
Hello.

I received this ASIC miner roughly a month ago, and it stopped working already it seems. Am I stumped? How should I proceed to get it replaced/refunded/whatever.

It was one of these.

https://products.butterflylabs.com/h...oin-miner.html

I also ordered a 600 GH/s card, but given that this one failed so fast I don't feel so sure anymore if these things are reliable. Question for the other users: have yours been working fine? Maybe mine was an outlier.

12-28-2013, 08:57 AM #2

SLok

There will always be DOA or units going bad over time, there is an RMA request function in your BFL account. What is your unit doing, powering off? Fast blinking leds? Nothing at all? If possible try another power source first.

Get the feeling the standard response is try a different PSU wonder why? And there will always be DOA and units going bad over time? How many that is the real question.

Huh, how weird. It seems to still work when I use it through Easy Miner instead of cgminer. Maybe it had some driver problems mid-mining?

I checked the received hashrate by the mining pool and it seems to be receiving shares just fine so... all's good now.

EDIT: Also, it wasn't powering off or doing anything, it still had that red light around the power connector and made that whirring fanny noise like it always did.

Lucky for this customer no?

Bicknellski (OP)

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 04:03:35 AM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=413118.msg4478313#msg4478313

How I cooled down my BFL Jalapeno with a new fan
January 13, 2014, 10:31:27
Reply with quote  #1
I was one of the lucky ones to get a 5Gh/s Butterfly Labs Jalapeno unit arrive being able to run at about 7Ghz.
But I found overtime the speed was staring to drop and the temp was going up.

After installing a new fan I am above 7Gh/s and the temperature problem has gone away.
As an added bonus the new fan make a lot less noise too!

It was a lot easier then i thought  Cool

When all was said and done I ended up leaving the case off because the new fan didn't fit very well, and the ran a lot cooler.

The new fan I am using it this one: Noctua NF-B9 PWM Cooling Fan
http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B006GD3K5C/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I tested the fan with the air blowing up away from the Jalapeno (this is how the stock fan was installed), and with the fan blowing the air down onto the heat sink. With the air blowing down it kept the device cooler.

If you would like to see some pictures I posed them on Google+
https://plus.google.com/photos/114440247402313521185/albums/5968212940859029105

I have been running at about 7.44 Gh/s for a few days with the new set up. It was only running at 6.76 Gh/s before the new fan.

Bicknellski (OP)

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 04:37:45 AM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=413836.msg4488666#msg4488666

Wink Hello, everyone ... I have received (after 13 days), my black cube 10GH/s designed as a Butterflylabs bitcoin miner 10GH/s.

Undecided But, after plug (and rebuild for europe) the supply ... this little black box emit a very (old) noise from the (very) cheap fan build on it.
Ok, they burn at 12GH/s ... but it's not the final goal for a 380 USD product.

Lips sealed I can't use this like that.
I have multiples towers with choosed fans (noiseblocker, papst, noctua) that they emit 1/4 of noise than the butterflylabs product !

---

So, this is a thread for "beginner buyer" to change the fan and "free" the bitcoin miner from the black cover (and allow more life on the regulate integrated stability voltage).

---

Cheap Fans... go figure.

Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2014, 06:06:29 AM

Last six posts are by you, trying to keep your sad little thread alive. You look so desperate Darrin... I almost feel sorry for you. How's that scam you call the Wasp and Hive going? 

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
Bicknellski (OP)

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 06:33:39 AM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=266945.msg3561804#msg3561804

Quote from: Inaba on October 29, 2013, 13:40:01
Except... none of it ever happened.  Cool story, though, bro!

Josh, be careful where you tread. I've warned you once before about spouting off to the wrong people. I am not PuertoLibre or some other BFL troll. I've spent tens of thousands of dollars with your company and have a solid BitcoinTalk reputation. I have resold and mined both your FPGA and ASIC lines, and have made quite a bit of coin doing so. On top of this, I have over $100,000 on the sidelines right now that I am waiting to put back into mining equipment once the difficulty becomes more predictable and your company is in consideration if you are able to actually deliver your 28nm products with a reasonable price, hashrate, and power consumption.

So watch your fucking "facts" when you attempt to call either me or my friend a liar. The fact of the matter is that I coached 1 family member and 4 friends into buying machines of different sizes from your company and on September 19th sent them an email saying to cancel their orders because we were crossing the point of no return on investment. The family member received their miners early enough to sell them for a good profit. Of the friends, one had no problems at all cancelling, one had a problem where after several weeks of harassing Paypal finally had the reversal approved, only to have the account Paypal was drawing on as empty, and the other two have not been able to get a refund, although they haven't been particularly aggressive with paypal either. As such, two of my friends had some amount of dollars sewn up with your company in an interest free loan for some time, and two of them are going to take a large loss, one of them at a time in his life where he really needs a win.

And I hold you responsible due to the complete and utter fabrications called timelines you've delivered to us in the past 17 months. In your quest to dominate the market, you have sucker punched people who are now literally homeless, causing fights between their spouse and them, and adding astounding stress to their lives. And so, I understand that you can easily sit there and type complete lies that ruin people, and as such you think it must be easy for everyone else to just lie.

But I'll tell you now, Josh, I'm no liar. My friend who had this bounced paypal issue is no liar. So, I would get your "cool story" straight before you respond to me again.

I think we all know who can't be trusted.

Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 08:51:13 AM

Well Josh,make him an offer he can't refuse !!!  Like you did Phinny boy  Wink

Then maybe he'll play nice & take his crayons & leave the park   Cheesy

I hope he keeps it up,BFL & you are vultures,pure & simple  Tongue

FUCK YOU JOSH !!!!  Cheesy

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
Bicknellski (OP)

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 08:55:56 AM

Can't be bought off. Won't be bought off.

As long as others keep posting about BFL product failures and under performance it is clearly helpful to get that message out to this community so that fewer and fewer people are saddled with BFL product. There is nothing in what he says that adds to the discussion so for me I just have him on ignore along with his the shills and multiple accounts he uses to post with. After he threatened to get me fired and posted that I was threat to children, of course untrue given the 16+ years of work I have had in education will prove, I am now in the right mindset to simply carry on as if he doesn't exist I only wish that community would do the same so that BFL is a tarnished bookmark a warning post if you will and their customer base continues to dwindle and fade like the hopes of those who order Monarchs will be delivered sometime before the Summer 2014.

Bicknellski (OP)

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 09:54:39 AM

01-13-2014, 06:26 PM https://forums.butterflylabs.com/jalapeno-single-sc-support/7530-broke-another-fan-replacements.html

Broke another fan, replacements?
Broke my jalapeno fan, and the noctura can't keep up. Who makes a super high power fan in the form factor of the jally

Slok.

Can you use this, is a dutch site where you can set parameters on the left and filter on that. Ventilatoren - Prijzen en Specificaties - Tweakers

Bicknellski (OP)

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 09:55:50 AM

https://forums.butterflylabs.com/jalapeno-single-sc-support/7524-perormance-problems-50-gh-sec-miner.html

Perormance problems with 50 GH/sec miner
I've juts got a Bitfore SC miner and hooked it
first to my PC under Ubuntu 13.10 and later to RaspberryPi running bfgminer 3.2.9

In both cases it make only 30 GH/sec instead of advertised 50....

Any ideas how to squeze missing 20 GH/Sec out of it?

vayvanne

Activity: 217
Merit: 101

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 03:22:29 PM

Another one PSU blown up.
monsters4r

Activity: 131
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 04:05:15 PM

After 6 months from my order I finally received my Jally, the speed is above 8 GH/s at 40 degree.

But in any case , I really cannot say thanks to BLF in any way.

I like to think that this a very little compensation of my patience.  Cheesy

--- APOM - Anti Pre-Order Movement ---
NecroBones

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 07:13:22 PM

After 6 months from my order I finally received my Jally, the speed is above 8 GH/s at 40 degree.

6 months? Holy hell... I'd say the difficulty has gone up just a tiny bit since then... Wink
joeventura

Activity: 854
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 07:51:23 PM

30Gh/s little single, mines around 25-28

Dont think for a moment your alone.  Angry

Its all over the place, the later you were shipped the worse it got.

I have a little Single that mines  at exactly 30.xx (what I paid for)
a Single that mines 57 (3 less than I paid for)
7 gh Jally that mines at 7.2x
7 gh Jally that mines at 8.6x

so I paid for 104gh and I got 102.8ish

compare that to KNC where you paid for 200GH or 400Gh and you got 330Gh or 660Gh respectively.

Not saying BFL owes you that, and I will say their miners have worked flawlessly for me, I cannot however say that about their power supplies which all failed (100% failure rate) i replaced them all with Corsair PSUs and keep the RMA'd replacements on the shelf for last resort backup PSUs.

Bicknellski (OP)

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 12:48:23 PM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=414941.msg4542107#msg4542107

mine was at 60 degrees celsius before it died, coffee mug warmers~, i think i could fry an egg on it.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: