Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 08:59:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 ... 99 »
  Print  
Author Topic: DIY FPGA Mining rig for any algorithm with fast ROI  (Read 99393 times)
netmonk

Activity: 219
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2018, 05:21:13 AM

Wonder what this means for bittwares fpga mining offerings....

https://www.molex.com/molex/news/new_display_news.jsp?channel=New&channelId=-8&oid=2376&pageTitle=Molex+Announces+Acquisition+of+BittWare

Code:
Molex Announces Acquisition of BittWare

That is certainly interesting. In my experience such acquisitions usually kill little projects like this, but I would be happy to be surprised.

I more prone to think this crypto mining announcement was more oriented to inflate company value with more expected sells revenue ! a good move to move to make buyer thinks his investment has some good potential of profit.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Etherion

Activity: 512
Merit: 260

View Profile
May 15, 2018, 08:37:22 AM

it might mean the end of Christian Robichaud of Bittware participation but we still have the dev kits that can work.
rezin385

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 15, 2018, 11:12:23 AM

Hi, I've read several pages of this thread and am wondering if anyone can give a synopsis of this project and whether it's actually moving forward. I'd purchase several of these FPGAs when support is available. Thanks!
crushed

Activity: 103
Merit: 11

View Profile
May 15, 2018, 02:27:58 PM

https://www.molex.com/molex/news/new_display_news.jsp?channel=New&channelId=-8&oid=2376&pageTitle=Molex+Announces+Acquisition+of+BittWare

Code:

That is certainly interesting. In my experience such acquisitions usually kill little projects like this, but I would be happy to be surprised.

I more prone to think this crypto mining announcement was more oriented to inflate company value with more expected sells revenue ! a good move to move to make buyer thinks his investment has some good potential of profit.

Due diligence on company financials, product pipeline, customer base, etc would have been completed long before the start of this thread. Molex would be looking at proven sales/revenue streams for BittWare. That comes from industrial customers and not crypto.
netmonk

Activity: 219
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2018, 03:09:55 PM

Code:

Due diligence on company financials, product pipeline, customer base, etc would have been completed long before the start of this thread. Molex would be looking at proven sales/revenue streams for BittWare. That comes from industrial customers and not crypto.

Well, OP started to talk about fpga and mining in january. This thread is just the result of increased interested of reader from others threads.
I understand your point, i dont mean mining market was crucial in this transaction, but it can add a little sugar in the process.
whitefire990 (OP)
Copper Member

Activity: 166
Merit: 84

View Profile
May 15, 2018, 04:42:23 PM

Some quick updates:

- The launch is still on schedule for May 30.  The initial launch will be for the VCU1525 as Bittware is still working to increase the power limit of their board
- It is now time for the lucky people who already have VCU1525's to private message me, so you can receive some pre-release software in the next couple of days for initial testing and to get some feedback on how hard you find the set up process
- An attempt was made (long ago) to negotiate getting a % of hardware sales with Xilinx/Bittware but this was not successful
- The Molex acquisition was a surprise; hopefully this won't affect Bittware's participation in crypto mining
- Keccak will be launched on May 30, and Tribus will be released on June 15, followed by Phi1612/Skunkhash (which are very similar); then Lyra2z, and following that it will be either CN7 or Neoscrypt; suggestions are welcome as to desired algorithms

If you already have a VCU1525 (a real one, not AWS instance), then please message me ASAP to receive your pre-release software.

HardwareCollector

Activity: 144
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 15, 2018, 05:08:23 PM

If you already have a VCU1525 (a real one, not AWS instance), then please message me ASAP to receive your pre-release software.

PM sent. Grin
timisis

Activity: 178
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 15, 2018, 05:31:19 PM

I've been googling for a couple of hours, can't find suppliers of either board in Germany-Europe. The closest I am to was XCKU115-2FLVB2104E, by the price it appears to be 1/2 or 1/4 of the VU9P, does anyone have any ideas?
tbearhere
Legendary

Activity: 3122
Merit: 1003

View Profile
May 15, 2018, 05:54:34 PM

I'm seriously wondering if I should dump ALL my coins while their still worth something.
suchmoon
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 8909

https://bpip.org

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2018, 05:58:39 PM

I'm seriously wondering if I should dump ALL my coins while their still worth something.

You probably should but that has nothing to do with FPGA.
cheebeez

Activity: 16

View Profile
May 15, 2018, 06:39:46 PM

When people buy a few thousand of these fpga cards ROI up to 12 month or longer.
During this time bitmain will release new asic's.
Our income will depend on how quickly you(mb other dev) add new algorithms for VCU1525 cards.

I think it's safer to buy GTX 1170.
tbearhere
Legendary

View Profile
May 15, 2018, 07:11:57 PM

Just listening to two devs. talking about FPGA'S.  And how GPU mining will die because of FPGA'S. No fud.
In my opinion .... it comes down to hashes per watt.
ibinsad

Activity: 616
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 15, 2018, 07:42:23 PM

Just listening to two devs. talking about FPGA'S.  And how GPU mining will die because of FPGA'S. No fud.

Strong coins are already working on new algos to prevent fpga attack.
BittWareFPGATech

Activity: 10
Merit: 6

View Profile
May 15, 2018, 08:24:27 PM

Some quick updates:

- The launch is still on schedule for May 30.  The initial launch will be for the VCU1525 as Bittware is still working to increase the power limit of their board
- It is now time for the lucky people who already have VCU1525's to private message me, so you can receive some pre-release software in the next couple of days for initial testing and to get some feedback on how hard you find the set up process
- An attempt was made (long ago) to negotiate getting a % of hardware sales with Xilinx/Bittware but this was not successful
- The Molex acquisition was a surprise; hopefully this won't affect Bittware's participation in crypto mining
- Keccak will be launched on May 30, and Tribus will be released on June 15, followed by Phi1612/Skunkhash (which are very similar); then Lyra2z, and following that it will be either CN7 or Neoscrypt; suggestions are welcome as to desired algorithms

As the OP noted, we are working to make a board available with higher power than the XUPP3R.  And yes, we were just acquired by Molex, but it will not have any negative affect on our participation, in fact it gives us access to more resources, including those of Nallatech, who is also a Molex company. 
betaminer

Activity: 28

View Profile
May 15, 2018, 09:39:38 PM
Last edit: May 16, 2018, 06:42:42 AM by betaminer

Yesterday digikey had the DK-U1-VCU1525-A-G on their website, today the link is dead

edit: the product is now a "out of catalogue" product... as they told to me...
GPUHoarder

Activity: 154
Merit: 37

View Profile
May 15, 2018, 09:56:57 PM

I strongly stand by the statement that there is no algorithm that is somehow going to be magically possible on GPUs but not possible on any FPGA hardware configuration. There is simply no resource to exploit unique to GPUs.

That doesn’t mean, however, that there will be a big performance gap. Honestly all these coins just stringing together a bunch of hashes to chain hash really looks to me like it will give a larger FPGA advantage vs the shockingly simple hash algorithms with no room for optimization’s.
Goool

Activity: 182
Merit: 2

View Profile
May 15, 2018, 10:13:15 PM

amd, Nvidia shares acepted....

FPGA shares rejected .....

By just reading the brand of your hardware
GPUHoarder

Activity: 154
Merit: 37

View Profile
May 15, 2018, 10:17:18 PM

amd, Nvidia shares acepted....

FPGA shares rejected .....

By just reading the brand of your hardware

Except - the pools and nodes have no idea what hardware you have, and zero way to know.

For true ASIC resistance just release a closed source obfuscated inefficient miner and don’t publish the specs. That’ll last about two weeks before someone reverse engineers it...
tbearhere
Legendary

View Profile
May 15, 2018, 10:23:34 PM

FPGA can change to do the new algo in hours.
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1065

View Profile
May 15, 2018, 10:44:49 PM

I strongly stand by the statement that there is no algorithm that is somehow going to be magically possible on GPUs but not possible on any FPGA hardware configuration. There is simply no resource to exploit unique to GPUs.
Nothing magic is required, just design an algorithm that actually plays to the real strengths of the GPUs.

In particular all currently popular hashing algorithms completely ignore the super fast floating point units in the GPUs and CPUs. Ultimately, some future generations of FPGAs will start including FPU blocks, very much like they started including DSP blocks years ago.

But currently the FPU performance gap is quite wide.

Picking winners in the ASIC game is relatively easy if one isn't afraid of occasionally changing the source code. When properly designed, it even doesn't need to be hard fork, just the version number of the PoW function needs to be explicitly recorded.

At the moment I don't have time to write a longer discussion, so for now I'll repost what I wrote in another thread. We'll see which of those new threads will get most intelligent discussion.

a non-trivial portion of the more complex parts of the instrucion set
Yeah, that is the key.

As a miner, this frightens me because when this era of "flexible ASICs" arrive, GPU miners will definitely be obsolete. Add this to the threat of Ethereum going POS, it seems like the odds are stacked against us regular home-based miners. This might be a signal that now is a good time to liquidate mining rig assets and just directly invest in coins.
The thing is that it is relatively easy to write hash function that are very ASIC-proof or FPGA-proof.

Bytom folks are a good example. Their goal was not to be general-ASIC-proof but to make sure that the ASIC that is fast at implementing their hash in their ASIC. So they wrote a hash function that uses lots of floating point calculations exactly in the way that their AI-oriented ASIC does. The hard part of understanding Bytom's "Tensority" algorithm is finding exact information about the actual ASIC chips that are efficient doing those calculations.

But the general idea is very simple: if you don't want your XYZ devices to become, play to their strengths in designing the hash function.

For XYZ==GPU start with GPUs strengths. I haven't studied the recent GPU universal shader architecture, but the main idea was to optimize particular floating point computation used in 3D graphics using homogeneous coordinates, like AX=Y, where A is 4*4 matrix and X is 4*1 vector <x,y,z,w> where w==1. So include lots of those in your hash function. In particular GPUs are especially fast when using FP16, a half-precision floating point.

For XYZ==CPU made by Intel/AMD using x86 architecture, again start with their strengths. They have unique FPU unit with unique 10-byte floating point format and unique 8-byte BCD decimal integer format. Additionally they have dedicated hardware to compute various transcendental functions. So use a lot of those doing chaotic irreducible calculations like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logistic_map or https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorenz_system . Of course one could write an emulation of those formats using quad-precision floating point (pairs of double-precision floats), but it will take many months.

During those months you have additional time to research more strengths of your GPUs or CPUs. Use them in a hard-fork to assure that the preferred vendor of your mining hardware continues to be Intel/AMD/Nvidia.

Please comment, critique, criticize or ridicule BIP 2112: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=54382.0
Long-term mining prognosis: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=91101.0
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 ... 99 »
  Print  

Jump to: