Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 08:29:32 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [Guide] Dogie's Comprehensive Bitmain AntMiner S1 Setup [HD]  (Read 112152 times)
ineedit

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 11:40:51 AM

I just tried a 3 pin fan on the second board on the miner.when you attach it to 3 pins from the top going g down the fan works at normal speed. When you connect it starting with the second pin from the top the new fan doesn't work but the stock fan ramps up in speed a lot in the ui it's at 3020 at the temps are down to mid 3os. Is it Ok to keep it like that? It would be great for overclocked miners.

It has same effect and as much use as you just driving your car in first gear so you can see the RPM counter near the red.  It would be a great way to help burn out you fan faster.

Ant's are happy at 50c and below, the fan is set to work hardest at 60c and the unit shuts down at 70c.

ok i see i felt as much , otherwise everyone would have done it. shut off at 70 thats high compared to some other machine avalons were at 60 i think.also could 400mhz over clock burn the board out?

No 400Mhz will not burn out the board unless the components are out of spec but greater than that starts to push the VRM's and that could cause one to occur.

I run ant's at 400Mhz @ 50c in 23c ambient @2200-2500 rpm on a single fan. As spring turns to summer I will drop to 375Mhz or add cheap 130CFM fans, by the summer and assuming that the difficulty has not increased to make them unprofitable I will drop to 350MHz or below and add cheap 130CFM fans.

i see, sounds reasonable enought. And the cooling obviously is a great help for the overclocking process. it must get quite hot where you then. u.k is mostly cold even summer isnt too bad for minng.

I am UK, in winter I use the miners to heat the house instead of oil hence the 23c ambient, I prefer 20c but my wife prefers it hotter at 23c so I agreed to compromise at 23c Smiley

In the spring I will move them to the garage that has more than enough holes in it to let a draft through.

If I have been help then please show your thanks         BTC: 127PRogAVZiV3fEmpJERh9KemK3a3Ffh6G         LTC: LXghFL8mZffpTFkm2nRTesuDrV5DJQP3Js
Jacko

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 12:00:48 PM

I just tried a 3 pin fan on the second board on the miner.when you attach it to 3 pins from the top going g down the fan works at normal speed. When you connect it starting with the second pin from the top the new fan doesn't work but the stock fan ramps up in speed a lot in the ui it's at 3020 at the temps are down to mid 3os. Is it Ok to keep it like that? It would be great for overclocked miners.

It has same effect and as much use as you just driving your car in first gear so you can see the RPM counter near the red.  It would be a great way to help burn out you fan faster.

Ant's are happy at 50c and below, the fan is set to work hardest at 60c and the unit shuts down at 70c.

ok i see i felt as much , otherwise everyone would have done it. shut off at 70 thats high compared to some other machine avalons were at 60 i think.also could 400mhz over clock burn the board out?

No 400Mhz will not burn out the board unless the components are out of spec but greater than that starts to push the VRM's and that could cause one to occur.

I run ant's at 400Mhz @ 50c in 23c ambient @2200-2500 rpm on a single fan. As spring turns to summer I will drop to 375Mhz or add cheap 130CFM fans, by the summer and assuming that the difficulty has not increased to make them unprofitable I will drop to 350MHz or below and add cheap 130CFM fans.

i see, sounds reasonable enought. And the cooling obviously is a great help for the overclocking process. it must get quite hot where you then. u.k is mostly cold even summer isnt too bad for minng.

I am UK, in winter I use the miners to heat the house instead of oil hence the 23c ambient, I prefer 20c but my wife prefers it hotter at 23c so I agreed to compromise at 23c Smiley

In the spring I will move them to the garage that has more than enough holes in it to let a draft through.

I'm in the UK too. I am wearing just shorts as my miners are in the front room of a bungalow. They keep our house at 23 degrees too. We have just got a refund of British Gas of £256 quid or there abouts, plus we have a wood burner in the front room which we have saved about £9 quid a week on buying logs for the burner. In summer I will move them to the garage also and do my bit for nature as they will keep a family of door mice warm at night LOL.
ineedit

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 03:15:28 PM

I'm in the UK too. I am wearing just shorts as my miners are in the front room of a bungalow. They keep our house at 23 degrees too. We have just got a refund of British Gas of £256 quid or there abouts, plus we have a wood burner in the front room which we have saved about £9 quid a week on buying logs for the burner. In summer I will move them to the garage also and do my bit for nature as they will keep a family of door mice warm at night LOL.

The door mice will like that  Smiley

Given the new bright LED's on the ant's I suspect that the local wildlife in my garage will party for the summer, feck knows what the neighbours will think that flashing lights in the garage will be for, I will tell them it is for attracting UFO's  Grin

If I have been help then please show your thanks         BTC: 127PRogAVZiV3fEmpJERh9KemK3a3Ffh6G         LTC: LXghFL8mZffpTFkm2nRTesuDrV5DJQP3Js
dogie (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2014, 03:40:56 PM

Temperatures are all relative. Gen 1 Avalons had on heatsink temps which are lower than die which are lower than core. Gen 2 had on die and so temps allowed went down.

On top of that, chips aren't all built for the same heat. You'll have to look into the spec sheets if there are any around.

zulover

Activity: 583
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 04:20:00 PM

Temperatures are all relative. Gen 1 Avalons had on heatsink temps which are lower than die which are lower than core. Gen 2 had on die and so temps allowed went down.

On top of that, chips aren't all built for the same heat. You'll have to look into the spec sheets if there are any around.

i thought those limits mentioned by ineedit were from some kind of specsheet?
ineedit

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 07:12:16 PM

i thought those limits mentioned by ineedit were from some kind of specsheet?

They are, they are from Bitmain's github, https://github.com/AntMiner/AntGen1 and from the configs of the product itself.

zulover

Activity: 583

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 07:26:53 PM
Last edit: February 01, 2014, 07:40:32 PM by zulover

Smiley all good then.
chopsticks

Activity: 91
Merit: 10

*bamf!* you've just been eaten by a gr00.

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2014, 02:46:40 AM

Thanks for the guide, Dogie!

I'm using a 230 GH/s Avalon box now.  Will be nice to have something much quieter around.

Although I wonder if the 1.45 btc price for February 8 shipment is worth it.... or if its already too late in
the game for the little S1 Antminer that could.

The price is right, compared to my Avalon mini miner, but I'm always semi-cautious.

This space kept free of spammage, scammage, begging and affiliate linking
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2014, 10:12:14 AM

Thanks for the guide, Dogie!

I'm using a 230 GH/s Avalon box now.  Will be nice to have something much quieter around.

Although I wonder if the 1.45 btc price for February 8 shipment is worth it.... or if its already too late in
the game for the little S1 Antminer that could.

The price is right, compared to my Avalon mini miner, but I'm always semi-cautious.
I know for a fact that the prices are designed to be FAIR to the community, rather than what the community can support. Everything is done on predictions though, so we can never know.

wpgdeez

Activity: 728

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 06:57:15 PM

You make Bitmain sound like Robin Hood lol

I love my Ants so far and cant complain about product, price or shipping compared to every other player in the game. They have set the bar.
roy7

Activity: 434

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 07:16:34 PM

Is bitmain working on any newer miners? (Using smaller size process for more hash per watt, etc.)
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2014, 09:29:52 PM

Is bitmain working on any newer miners? (Using smaller size process for more hash per watt, etc.)
Isn't everyone?

vx0ne

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 05:35:48 AM

Hi

I've read through the setup guide past day which is a great help; however, for  powering two 2-blade S1s, are either Corsair CX Series CX750M or EVGA Supernova NEX750B 750W sufficient without OC? With OC? These are 750W units.

Also, what PSU would be quietest since that's pretty important (I'm assuming 2 x 450W would be noisier)? Would 2 x 600W run the quietest compared to 1 x 750W (if it works for 2 S1s)? BTW, there seem to be many different Corsair lines like CX, RM, HX etc. Is there a preference for one of these or are they all equally good (apart from noise)?

TIA
jamesc760

Activity: 448

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 05:58:56 PM

"Hi

I've read through the setup guide past day which is a great help; however, for  powering two 2-blade S1s, are either Corsair CX Series CX750M or EVGA Supernova NEX750B 750W sufficient without OC? With OC? These are 750W units.

Also, what PSU would be quietest since that's pretty important (I'm assuming 2 x 450W would be noisier)? Would 2 x 600W run the quietest compared to 1 x 750W (if it works for 2 S1s)? BTW, there seem to be many different Corsair lines like CX, RM, HX etc. Is there a preference for one of these or are they all equally good (apart from noise)?

TIA"

From what I have read, and I read the previous 8-9 pages, you'd need at least 850 Watts (Corsair CX850 will do) for TWO OVERCLOCKED Antminer S1's. Even at 850 Watts, you have ZERO headroom, i.e., YOU ARE PUSHING IT AT THE LIMIT.
jamesc760

Activity: 448

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 06:19:46 PM

What I would do, if I had 2 antminers and wanted to oc, I'd get TWO Corsair CX750. That way, you'd be running one antminer overclocked pulling about 400 Watts each from one Corsair 750, that would be a bit over 50% load on the PSU.
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2014, 09:09:58 PM

Hi

TIA

750W would be a min for a double overclocked antminer. You'd need around 1.3kw for two antminers, which is done cheaper by buying two 750s.

PSU noise is essentially determined by % load, the closer you are to load then the louder it will be. Still, even fully loaded PSUs are quieter than the miners they power as one is dissipating 15% heat and one the other 85%! If you don't know the difference between CX, RM and HX, the answer is you don't need to. Pick up the cheapest Corsair one that hits your requirements.

rekweam

Activity: 37

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 05:58:41 AM
Last edit: February 08, 2014, 04:28:13 AM by rekweam

Hi guys,

Just got 2 of these delivered. And picked up a couple of power supplies. Got 2 GS800's.

Started to setup and can get to the config page with no problems. Put in the pool info ghash 3 times. Hit save and add.

Nothing happens in the Miner status page.

Do i need to either direct my slush pool proxy or do i have to run cgminer or something in order to start mining?

[EDIT]
Ok it was the DHCP client. I wasn't hitting switch protocol. But now that one is running i can no longer access the config page... Atleast its hashing.

[EDIT]
Ok, finally got to the config page again. Now to work out how to over clock.

[EDIT]
These things are bloody awesome! So easy to setup. So easy to over clock. And from what I can see so stable.
dmmr

Activity: 11

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 07:35:30 PM

Hi guys,

Just got 2 of these delivered. And picked up a couple of power supplies. Got 2 GS800's.

Started to setup and can get to the config page with no problems. Put in the pool info ghash 3 times. Hit save and add.

Do i need to either direct my slush pool proxy or do i have to run cgminer or something in order to start mining?

[EDIT]
Ok it was the DHCP client. I wasn't hitting switch protocol. But now that one is running i can no longer access the config page... Atleast its hashing.

[EDIT]

[EDIT]
These things are bloody awesome! So easy to setup. So easy to over clock. And from what I can see so stable.

use an IP sweeper to find the ant miner, then set the IP to static

Question, I had issues with the ant miner and slushes pool, it looked like it was mining, but never got any shares... so i quickly switched over to eligius...

rekweam

Activity: 37

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 07:45:52 AM

Hi guys,

[EDIT]

[EDIT]

[EDIT]

Question, I had issues with the ant miner and slushes pool, it looked like it was mining, but never got any shares... so i quickly switched over to eligius...

I actually direct my to Ghash.io
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2014, 07:52:32 AM

I actually direct my to Ghash.io

Something weird happened at Slush's, it used to be so good. Now I only recommend it for those using stratum proxies (for simplicity).

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 »
  Print  

Jump to: