Bitcoin Forum
July 05, 2024, 06:10:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Everyone doing cryptocoins should be using Linux as OS  (Read 5277 times)
praeluceo

Activity: 123
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 05:04:37 AM

I use Ubuntu for my desktop, and for my mining. I also have a Raspberry Pi that I'm working on moving all of my stratum-proxy and bfgminer tasks to.
(:
darkstaticfire

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 05:18:04 AM

I agree op, if you're using windows at least get some protection. I reformatted recently because I found out I had a keylogger for 2 days on my computer. I found the data file in appdata/roaming and it had all of my chat conversations, browsing history, passwords, ETC. MBAM is a pretty good service, make sure you're running something like it.
finnw

Activity: 2

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 05:30:19 AM

Windows XP.

• It is sufficient to run almost all altcoin clients if you are not mining (they are nearly built for Win32 by default.)
  • You can assign a separate VM to each client (no real opportunity for malware.)  The overhead of a WinXP VM is not too large.  Just don't give it write access to the host HDD!
  • Fast User Switching is harder to exploit than sudo or UAC because sessions/processes are isolated
  • There is no other OS so well-debugged for so long that is still having new software developed for it.  Comparable Linux/BSD/OSX versions (i.e. those with no new features for a decade) are long abandoned.

Activity: 6

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 09:18:17 AM

Linux is much better than windows 8, that's for sure. Unfortunately I didn't know how to install all the drivers onto linux for my rig so I had to go with windows. I hate it with a passion. The home screen looks like it belongs on an xbox/tablet.

Anyone care to advise a point and click method of installing the AMD drivers on linux?
hieroglyph

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 09:34:56 AM

I think it is time for me to take a look at linux as Win7 is gonna be old news in the coming months if it isn't considered so already, heh.  Will follow this thread so I can look it over when I have a bit more time but thanks for sharing the info. 

nahtnam
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2013, 01:27:37 AM

I think I agree with the OP here.  But talking OSs on the internet is a little like talking politics at a family reunion. 

That can go down to hell really fast. Grin

nahtnam
Legendary

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2013, 01:28:54 AM

Linux is much better than windows 8, that's for sure. Unfortunately I didn't know how to install all the drivers onto linux for my rig so I had to go with windows. I hate it with a passion. The home screen looks like it belongs on an xbox/tablet.

Anyone care to advise a point and click method of installing the AMD drivers on linux?

On my computer I have windows 7, 8, and ubuntu. I use ubuntu mainly (haven't switched to windows in 3 months). Ubuntu should recognize most drivers and install them for you.

pand70

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 14, 2013, 04:12:45 AM

Windows XP.

• It is sufficient to run almost all altcoin clients if you are not mining (they are nearly built for Win32 by default.)
  • You can assign a separate VM to each client (no real opportunity for malware.)  The overhead of a WinXP VM is not too large.  Just don't give it write access to the host HDD!
  • Fast User Switching is harder to exploit than sudo or UAC because sessions/processes are isolated
  • There is no other OS so well-debugged for so long that is still having new software developed for it.  Comparable Linux/BSD/OSX versions (i.e. those with no new features for a decade) are long abandoned.

Aren't windows xp obsolete and abandoned from microsoft already? I mean no updates not anything. I remember reading a roadmap about future support of os by microsoft but i can't seem to find it now.

caminilegroup

Activity: 42

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2013, 01:37:47 PM

Windows XP.

Aren't windows xp obsolete and abandoned from microsoft already? I mean no updates not anything. I remember reading a roadmap about future support of os by microsoft but i can't seem to find it now.

EOL is April 14, 2014
raskolnikovx (OP)

Activity: 186

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 03:31:45 PM

Windows XP.

EOL is April 14, 2014

Despite this lots of people still use XP =(
caminilegroup

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2013, 03:54:46 PM

Windows XP.

EOL is April 14, 2014

There is nothing wrong with XP. Yes no more updates after April of 2014 but it is a solid OS.

XP's network stack could be easily manipulated to do sniffing functions, you didn't have to worry about UAC. Besides 98, Microsoft got it right with XP.

7 is nice, but compatibility for older programs is problematic, 64 bit support is great for newer systems with more than 3 gig of ram, and the fact you can run 32bit programs is nice on the 64bit version.

crostorm

Activity: 32

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 04:55:58 PM

agree,linux ftw.
ilou

Activity: 18

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 05:03:51 PM

Sure Linux is more solid.

Just one point: if you are mining with GPUs though, and want to tweak things like GPU voltage and such I think this comes to be harder on Linux than on Win since there are not as much utilities / drivers for this.

imbladednow

Activity: 481
Merit: 500

Woking as a binman sucks.

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 05:10:14 PM

Windows is good just for games, but using Bitcoin wallet there? no thank you

I need crypto in my life and garbage out of it.
nahtnam
Legendary

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2013, 09:07:50 PM

Windows XP.

EOL is April 14, 2014

There is nothing wrong with XP. Yes no more updates after April of 2014 but it is a solid OS.

XP's network stack could be easily manipulated to do sniffing functions, you didn't have to worry about UAC. Besides 98, Microsoft got it right with XP.

7 is nice, but compatibility for older programs is problematic, 64 bit support is great for newer systems with more than 3 gig of ram, and the fact you can run 32bit programs is nice on the 64bit version.

I still know people who are using XP and they still love it!

caminilegroup

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2013, 09:17:21 PM

Windows XP.

EOL is April 14, 2014

Whenever I have to use any windows based programs, I have a XP vm just for it. Hell, I would still use 98se if I could.
raspcoin

Activity: 140

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 09:18:14 PM

I approve of the opening post, but I do not think it is a good idea to use banks as role models for this purpose. One of the points of cryptocurrencies is to be able to avoid them.

freakying99

Activity: 429

Pythagoras and Plato are my brothers.

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 09:25:06 PM

I using XP, it is best Windows ever, especially on low end computers.
nahtnam
Legendary

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2013, 09:32:50 PM

Have you heard of the windows pattern? http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Windows%20Pattern Grin

freakying99

Activity: 429

Pythagoras and Plato are my brothers.

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 09:36:33 PM

Have you heard of the windows pattern? http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Windows%20Pattern Grin

I must agree with this pattern, Windows 8 sucks as well
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: