Bitcoin Forum
June 28, 2024, 12:43:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 [373] 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Catcoin - Scrypt meow!  (Read 470674 times)
asdlolciterquit

Activity: 1666
Merit: 565

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 11:47:43 AM

will the price rise again?
foodies123

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 11:50:45 AM

no

nope
loader140

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 12:20:18 PM

Well, it is your personal opinion, I for one think it will go up, one day, maybe not back to where it was but above where it is now if we promote ir, look at bitcoin, it hasn't been going up and up from the start, it has gone up, down, up, down etc, and everything is like that, litecoin, netcoin, CAT and even gold, silver etc, so it is your OWN opinion, don't go off what I or others say as they could talk you out of a fourtune, like me when I was at college in 2009 when BTC came out I was going to buy a few hundred for a couple of quid but my teacher said they would never take off, now I am pissed and learned go with your heart and what you think, DON'T LISTEN TO THESE KNOW IT ALLS
Maverickthenoob

Activity: 70

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2014, 02:15:23 PM

Says the guy that loads up coinium with what, 40 MHash, every time it's profitable.

<3

Not much new to report folks, there was some spirited discussion last night. I didn't get a chance to really look at the test net. My wife's pneumonia is not improvingg and my time has been required elsewhere. Will try to have a look at it today.

Board of Directors - Catcoin
Personal: CAT: 9pndWw3qmPiWm2jQRw5pRAVEfJN4LzaD1f  BTC: 1Jo1394CraTgC8bKFzDdEMdks2DroB6VBe
CAT Dev Donation CAT: 9gZpz58KzYr1WKBN8DfPkZPAEt5wfZ4UKT BTC: 1MeRkKfRRfC86BQWEx5gsq68bDHe7dgs3o
anarcat

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 02:50:52 PM

Been following CAT coin since the beginning, and mined for a few days when it launched but I have nowhere near as many catcoins as some of you. I didn't dump them when the price was high and so I'm holding on to what I have  and trying to participate in this coin as just another opinion at this point. When Catcoin launched it had a good attitude about it, there was a sense of euphoria associated with that Catmeme tempered by the realization that the code was based tightly on Bitcoin but with scrypt instead. Well now we are seeing that this formula doesn't work to maintain a stable coin at this point due to difficulty fluctuation caused by the automated pool hoppers.

So it seems pretty obvious that something needs to be done. The current Estimated network hashrate: 16 MH/s is pretty low if you ask me. I know that when we launched a lot of people were able to sell their coins for .0001 and many invested in CAT coins to try to maintain this price but I don't know that it'll ever get back up that high again unless we as a community are able to fix the difficulty problem. I think that adjusting the difficulty every block round with a 36 block average should be an improvement over what we have now. I also think that doing this via a testnet sounds like a better plan than simply rolling out a fork.

I think there is some merit to see Catcoin as a coin to experiment with. I like some of the concepts that Hozer has suggested and I think that it'd be great if we as a community could embrace an experimental basis for this coin rather than watching it slowly die due to the slow response time to difficulty changes and still relatively high value of the coin. Altcoins need to provide something novel to succeed, part of this is a tighter knit community which is possible around a smaller project, than say Bitcoin as a whole. But the other thing is that it needs to be fun to mine it, people have to feel excited about getting the coins, and this excitement shouldn't come exclusively from a profit or speculation motive because otherwise everyone will just be waiting to sell them for Bitcoins. I'm sorry to say but it is my suspicion that if you wanted to make a killing on catcoins well you should of dumped your bag of cats down by the river a long time ago because now we are dealing with a cat that has some serious health issues and we are going to need to coddle and feed in order to nurse it back to health. It might be possible for CAT coins to rise again but it will most likely need to bring something to the table other than just being the cat counterpoint to Doge. I see that someone launched GrumpyCoin and there will always be new memecoins popping out and attracting attention. What seems to make a coin valuable and useful is if people actually care about using it. The collaboration with CryptoCat is great are we just waiting for someone to compile a OS/X wallet for their developers ?

I also like the idea of adding Proof of Share to CAT coin but I do know that this is complicated and would need to be thoroughly tested and agreed upon by the community but some kind of Proof of Share concept could encourage and reward people for holding onto the coin. I know Peercoin uses this but there is also Diamond Coin and a spin off known as Philosopher Stones that do both Proof of Work and Proof of Share, so perhaps they could be good code repositories to learn from.

I don't know of any good overall analysis of the Altcoins to compare the different features that they have, their blockchain rewards vs. their price stability vs. novel experiments but I think that we should treat CAT as a work in progress and realize that unless we are willing to experiment and have fun as a community then this cat won't go anywhere.

Is there anything that relatively non-developers can do at this point to help with the testing and is there any place that a summary of the code changes and general consensus of the "board" or what not is being recorded ? At this point I see some progress being made but it's hard to tell exactly what is happening and when and that would probably be useful to assuage the fears and uncertainty that people seem to have.
rentarocker

Activity: 112

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 03:47:16 PM

Grumpycoin should not be seen as a competitor to CAT.  If the dev of Grumpycoin does not have backing of Grumpycat they will eventually get sued.  Coinye got served yesterday; I feel RPC is running the same risk.

Agree that CAT needs work; thats why I got out (for now) and invested in GRA and Etoken.

I still feel that CAT has a future.  I am following this forum closely and after the issues are worked out I will reinvest.

BTC:  17Z1au1T1f8B4XhFQXeuibKbRmWow6FyvP
LTC:  Lf7QWUDC57WnRf5gEcutdHwrXvYRoqaQYU
foodies123

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 03:50:31 PM

Says the guy that loads up coinium with what, 40 MHash, every time it's profitable.

<3

Not much new to report folks, there was some spirited discussion last night. I didn't get a chance to really look at the test net. My wife's pneumonia is not improvingg and my time has been required elsewhere. Will try to have a look at it today.

* 10 MH
* lady
* unprofitable

here I've fixed it for you.

also vote here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=417125.msg4527625#msg4527625

nope
skillface

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 04:05:34 PM

Done, we could use more votes.

We narrowly managed to make it onto CoinPayments.net, so it can't hurt to try this one as well.
hozer

Activity: 271
Merit: 254

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2014, 04:09:05 PM

8 mh/s on network ? rly ?
Yeah buddy...feast or famine.
I'll hit it with then before I go to bed. then a whale can mine the low diff as usual ... fuckers.
Bring it on, Girl - my 1.6M is #2 on Coinium.  See you there?  Cool

vroom ... vroom.

you're lucky I'm not going solo and 51%'ing Smiley)))))

Cats are not herd animals, and we should not be single-pool sheeple. Join the CAT p2pools
http://www.kittyco.in/p2pool/
skillface

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 04:13:07 PM

I'll hit it with then before I go to bed. then a whale can mine the low diff as usual ... fuckers.

vroom ... vroom.

Cats are not herd animals, and we should not be single-pool sheeple. Join the CAT p2pools

Aren't you supposed to have 50ms or lower latency to P2Pools to make decent use of them? For me there's nothing within 300ms.
hozer

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2014, 04:21:01 PM

I see that someone launched GrumpyCoin and there will always be new memecoins popping out and attracting attention. What seems to make a coin valuable and useful is if people actually care about using it.

..... <snipped> .......

Is there anything that relatively non-developers can do at this point to help with the testing and is there any place that a summary of the code changes and general consensus of the "board" or what not is being recorded ? At this point I see some progress being made but it's hard to tell exactly what is happening and when and that would probably be useful to assuage the fears and uncertainty that people seem to have.

Three things:

1) read https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Testnet, understand it.
2) we 'embrace and extend' memecoins, and eat their genesis blocks, by adding things like "catcoind -testnet mousecoyne"
3) charitable currency.. set up local CAT/DOGE exchanges that send say 1% of each transaction to the local animal shelter.
hozer

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2014, 04:31:02 PM

vroom ... vroom.

Aren't you supposed to have 50ms or lower latency to P2Pools to make decent use of them? For me there's nothing within 300ms.

Good point. I have generally always run p2pool locally, and that's why I included it in the catbox ( https://bitbucket.org/dahozer/catcoin/src/9487e4b741f3bd410451a0b7ac50f48a34f23323/p2pool/?at=default )

Some of this also depends on the p2pool parameters as well, so I tried to go with stuff I thought was sane, as the original p2pool/networks.py stuff seemed tuned to fast-block coins, and 'it works for me', but it needs testing.

I guess I should just set up 5 or 6 VPSs with production/release catcoinds and p2pool. Is 2-5% fee unreasonable to cover the cost of the servers for dedicated CAT p2pools? I would still need an easier way to convert CAT to dollars to pay the bills.
fr33th

Activity: 59

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2014, 04:40:59 PM

From http://catcoins.biz/charts/
Difficulty changes in: 5 blocks Estimated next difficulty: 6.3

How can we keep it low after recalculation, maybe decrease network hashrate? Or there is nothing we can do and it will jump up again?
skillface

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 04:45:19 PM

How can we keep it low after recalculation, maybe decrease network hashrate? Or there is nothing we can do and it will jump up again?

There's no real way at the moment. As long as the coin is still profitable for coinhoppers to switch to during low difficulty periods, the problem isn't going away (in fact it'll likely keep getting far worse until a fix is finally implemented).
fr33th

Activity: 59

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2014, 05:04:10 PM

There's no real way at the moment. As long as the coin is still profitable for coinhoppers to switch to during low difficulty periods, the problem isn't going away (in fact it'll likely keep getting far worse until a fix is finally implemented).

Well, then there is another solution, close all exchange markets for some period of time. No market, no coinhoppers.
We still have a day or two before low diff comes, what about talking to exchanges?
foodies123

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 05:06:33 PM

Well, then there is another solution, close all exchange markets for some period of time. No market, no coinhoppers.
We still have a day or two before low diff comes, what about talking to exchanges?

no markets ... no value ...

nope
cyberminer666

Activity: 63

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 05:17:46 PM

Good point. I have generally always run p2pool locally, and that's why I included it in the catbox ( https://bitbucket.org/dahozer/catcoin/src/9487e4b741f3bd410451a0b7ac50f48a34f23323/p2pool/?at=default )

Some of this also depends on the p2pool parameters as well, so I tried to go with stuff I thought was sane, as the original p2pool/networks.py stuff seemed tuned to fast-block coins, and 'it works for me', but it needs testing.

I guess I should just set up 5 or 6 VPSs with production/release catcoinds and p2pool. Is 2-5% fee unreasonable to cover the cost of the servers for dedicated CAT p2pools? I would still need an easier way to convert CAT to dollars to pay the bills.

and u got any other peers with this changed networks.py´s ?

hozer

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2014, 06:18:10 PM

Grumpycoin should not be seen as a competitor to CAT.  If the dev of Grumpycoin does not have backing of Grumpycat they will eventually get sued.  Coinye got served yesterday; I feel RPC is running the same risk.

Agree that CAT needs work; thats why I got out (for now) and invested in GRA and Etoken.

I still feel that CAT has a future.  I am following this forum closely and after the issues are worked out I will reinvest.

According to the Catifesto,  ( https://bitbucket.org/dahozer/catcoin/wiki/Home ), the Schrodinger valuation of 1 CAT is either $0, because nobody cares, or around $10,000 because we took the Cat's advice and made it very clear the community consensus of what a Cat is worth. We can do that by changing the code to manipulate the markets until we get it right, instead of letting the markets manipulate us.

Does that sound fair?

By that valuation, I got 3 CAT to implement stake-mine, which is more than enough to pay for my time to work on it full-time for the next month. The problem is I need to find someone who thinks there's a better than 50% chance we get to $10k willing to do a $5K/cat futures/options contract.

Value-by-21-million-cat limit is only really just handing money to bloomberg reporters ( http://www.businessinsider.com/bloomberg-reporters-compensation-2013-12 ). But value-by-21-million cat lovers and cryptographic charity donations to animal shelters is quite another animal.

--edit-- this is very different than what Catcoin was originally marketed as, and what many of you large stakeholders thought you were mining for. I'm quite happy to launch another copycatcoin in a year to two that does this, but I figured the original should have plenty of time to decide if that's what they want to do, AND the confidence in CATcoin will help the markets. ---end edit--
hozer

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2014, 06:35:55 PM

I have not been paying attention to the main net. There are no peers on the testnet p2pool though.. http://galen.hozed.org:19927/static/

Could you add a catcoin testnet to p2pool.name? (and maybe send me a patch to change the top to say 'P2pool CAT.testnet0.1' instead of 'P2pool CAT')
cyberminer666

Activity: 63

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 10:39:02 PM

I have not been paying attention to the main net. There are no peers on the testnet p2pool though.. http://galen.hozed.org:19927/static/

Could you add a catcoin testnet to p2pool.name? (and maybe send me a patch to change the top to say 'P2pool CAT.testnet0.1' instead of 'P2pool CAT')

the poolname is the coinsymbol in bitcoin/networks.py, but u can simply patch the index.html in the web-static folder (if u use the pool copy just for the testnet).
we have to use the same network.py to operate as network, otherwise u simply are solomining Wink
p2p only makes sense with a lot of nodes working together to form a big hashrate.

imo it should be integrated directly in the wallet instead of solomining  Tongue

pm me ur testconf and i will try to setup a testpool tomorrow on another server
Pages: « 1 ... 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 [373] 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 »
  Print  

Jump to: