Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 07:39:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 [79] 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 ... 244 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][PRT] Particle | CPU/GPU, Fast, Easy Mine, * NO PREMINE * | Official Thread  (Read 354200 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
matauc12

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 07:17:13 PM

While a HUGE fan of the new wallet idea I just don't understand the point of an 'App Store' within the wallet which now seems to be the primary focus?  Maybe I am looking at it the wrong way but these are my concerns.

1)  Why would I want a bunch of apps running within my wallet?  Like what would they be?  People are making comparison to Google Play...so you guys are thinking people want to download games like Angry Birds or Tetris and other smartphoney type apps like AccuWeather to use within their wallet???  Why?  Seems like besides being unnecessary it would bloat the Wallet program and make it run slower and/or open a huge can of security issues.

2) This is your wallet aka your personal bank vault holding all your wealth in Particle.  Most people don't even trust pre-compiled binaries of their wallet.  Who would want/trust to use a 3rd party app within your wallet?  Seems like a hug security issue.  Who/How verifies that the apps are safe and not doing something nasty?  

Interested in what people think and counter arguments.
That is a narrow mind point of view (no insult).

You have to think about how crowd sourcing developped things you never thought about before, that 1 person woukd never have been able to think about on its own. Its the point here of making the platform to enable the possibilities. Meanwhile, some of the features that come straight to mind is being able to exchange straight from wallet. Then add your broker account to your wallet? Now you have a wallet with your crypto and your fiat? Seems much better than what we currently have to me.

Just keep in mind it offers the possibility. What those possibilities are is still unknown, but the first step is making them possible.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Snotty

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 07:26:22 PM

While a HUGE fan of the new wallet idea I just don't understand the point of an 'App Store' within the wallet which now seems to be the primary focus?  Maybe I am looking at it the wrong way but these are my concerns.

1)  Why would I want a bunch of apps running within my wallet?  Like what would they be?  People are making comparison to Google Play...so you guys are thinking people want to download games like Angry Birds or Tetris and other smartphoney type apps like AccuWeather to use within their wallet???  Why?  Seems like besides being unnecessary it would bloat the Wallet program and make it run slower and/or open a huge can of security issues.

2) This is your wallet aka your personal bank vault holding all your wealth in Particle.  Most people don't even trust pre-compiled binaries of their wallet.  Who would want/trust to use a 3rd party app within your wallet?  Seems like a hug security issue.  Who/How verifies that the apps are safe and not doing something nasty?  

The points you made are perfectly valid, but while I really have no interest in playing Angry Birds in my Particle wallet, having an ability to insta-pay for an upgrade making my angry birds angrier is something that would be nice. It is a brave and risky idea, which could go really bad if implemented wrong, but blow away anything else out of water or atleast make way for more public/market based crypto movement, instead of fighting about which fancy hashing algorithm is fanciest in the same circle, which is something most people completely doesn't care.

You say "Most people don't even trust pre-compiled binaries of their wallet.", which, in my humble opinion, is a bit of elitist statement and such thinking, while quite reasonable in the core of crypto community, is blocking the circulation of coins from expanding rapidly in the less tech-savvy public.

That being said any app that could go in the wallet, should be examined extremelly well (maybe open source being a requirement, i'm not sure if that would work), same should be (and I bet will be) done with wallet API functions.

Now, I for one, would like an app which would show my balance in a BTC/USD/EUR according to different exchanges. Simple - yes, useful - sure. Will it make the wallet run slower and use more resources - only with wrong implementation. Even having an app which displays bitcointalk.org for some people would be pretty convenient.

The point is - giving people the tools to work with and we, as a human race, have already displayed throughout the history, what amazing things we can do with them.
chowdan

Activity: 134

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 07:30:38 PM

It would be up to you to decide if you wanted apps running and what apps you trust.  Maybe a trader wants access to charts, maybe a business man wants access to his business's online orders.  Really can't know what the market will bring until the capability is here.

Sure but why would anyone want to do that within a tiny wallet when they could just open it in another window? I could see maybe a mobile app but not for desktop.

Why do you say "within a tiny wallet"?

Say someone like me. I am not a day trader, however i am i a swing trader. I trade with real money, and have minimal real money investments in the crypto world, however i have a fair bit in the actual stock markets. I for one, would love to be able to have an app that would allow me to view detailed charts of volume, transactions, or even pending transactions with the exchanges. The pending transactions(level 2 quotes) aren't as important for me as a swing trader on the crypto world, but they are crucial for a day trader. Having an app that supplies this data within my wallet would be amazing. Having another app...or even the same app to allow me to initiate trades within my exchange straight from my wallet WITHOUT having to switch apps/pages would speed up the trading time for a day trader.

Trading is jsut one example and for day traders, anything to give them that few second advantage over the other guy can not have a value on it. Did we ever thing that a crypto coin such as bitcoins would hit the same value as gold back in 2009? No.

The crypto world is still a infant. Its just started and now that we have mass population hitting one coin, the wealth will spread out to the alt coins when people start to realize the benefit of the alt coins over the primary coin.

Yes there is always a potential to security for running apps within a wallet, however thats not for you to say that it will crush this idea. Yes the security is the most important thing as this is your bank....but whos to say your desktop that your running your wallet within doesn't have a bunch of trojans or malware thats collecting every keystroke that you enter and is keeping detailed logs of all your credit cards, debit cards, paypal accounts, bank accounts?

Whos to say that that awesome game/app you installed on your Android, Windows, iOS phone doesn't have a secret hidden process to monitor your phone so it can collect your CC info/password from the Google Play/App store?

chowdan

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 07:59:28 PM

The points you made are perfectly valid, but while I really have no interest in playing Angry Birds in my Particle wallet, having an ability to insta-pay for an upgrade making my angry birds angrier is something that would be nice. It is a brave and risky idea, which could go really bad if implemented wrong, but blow away anything else out of water or atleast make way for more public/market based crypto movement, instead of fighting about which fancy hashing algorithm is fanciest in the same circle, which is something most people completely doesn't care.

You say "Most people don't even trust pre-compiled binaries of their wallet.", which, in my humble opinion, is a bit of elitist statement and such thinking, while quite reasonable in the core of crypto community, is blocking the circulation of coins from expanding rapidly in the less tech-savvy public.

That being said any app that could go in the wallet, should be examined extremelly well (maybe open source being a requirement, i'm not sure if that would work), same should be (and I bet will be) done with wallet API functions.

Now, I for one, would like an app which would show my balance in a BTC/USD/EUR according to different exchanges. Simple - yes, useful - sure. Will it make the wallet run slower and use more resources - only with wrong implementation. Even having an app which displays bitcointalk.org for some people would be pretty convenient.

The point is - giving people the tools to work with and we, as a human race, have already displayed throughout the history, what amazing things we can do with them.

Having apps run in the background could also mean just more resources are consumed by ones computer.

Running a typical desktop at 2.3GHz with 8GB ram, i would be very concerned if i noticed bad performance. That is not something that should occur and being in the QA industry, it would not be acceptable. If a dev created a product to launch and said this was a "final" product to submit for the store, it should be reject for the reason of poor performance. As computers grow and the industry becomes more powerful, we are seeing it increasingly harder to have low amounts of memory and CPU speeds. Mean theres rumor that DDR4 is launching this year.....which means if it launches Q2 '14, by Q2 '15 - Q4 '15 retailers will be unloading stock at significant discount to make room for the new industry strandard - People are going to be adding more RAM to their system as we become more reliant on computers.

That means we shouldn't worry about a "bog" from the hardware standpoint - will will all be  based on the devs code for how slow it will run.

One other thing to look at for an example is www.secondlife.com. I have no clue how many of you actually have seen secondlife in its current state, but it launched in 2003. I played it for about 2 hours back in 2006ish....it wasn't my style of game.

When it launched, it was a single island - map example - http://www.slmaps.com/oldmaps.htm -

This image is of the world map as it stands in 2013 - http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/File:Continents_Map.png

Secondlife was built on the idea of UGC - User generated content. EVERYTHING you see in game was pretty much created by the community of Secondlife(watch the movie on netflix called life 2.0). Secondlife's creators just created the vessel for the community to bring their thoughts to reality. Its quiet genius IMO as from the dev stand point, makes your life easier. You get to focus on the smaller, but yet more important things like security, quality over quantity, and marketing.

Freeing the dev's time from creating apps and having more time to focus on optimizing the wallet itself, and marketing the coin to less techy/non-computer nerds is how this coin will grow. Being able to create a system for mass market that is user friendly, visually appealing(metro style is becoming more popular) is great for all the non techy computer nerds out there.

I think we need a "standard" for the app store, similar to how Play/iOS store functions to get apps on the market. Maybe we can have a section within the app store for "Community Testing" that allows devs to publish apps that lack test support and can get reviewed by the community before actually being pushed out(if something similar, would deff need a popup stating these apps are alpa/beta tests, use at own risk). These alpha/beta apps would first have to be reviewed by someone/open-source or otherwise before being published there to verify no malware code is present.

You only need to supply the vessel for one to be creative, you dont need to be the creative one

ssshhh

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 08:26:38 PM

Got some news peoples!  Madbitcoins is now taking Particle donations

I got us a donation link on the "MadBitcoins" website for our Particles.

www.madbitcoins.com

https://www.youtube.com/user/madbitcoins/videos

Check out the broadcasts.  There are PLENTY of shows related to progressive CryptoCurrencies  just like our Particles.

Lets hope we get a mention!

I will be showing some Particle-Love...

ssshhh

wow is it you with the big glassess? haha

Maaaaaddd Bitcoins.  Maaaaadddd Bitcoins.  No not me  Grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88o0UobD8mk

We're on Madbitcoins

7:48mins
Snotty

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 08:32:18 PM

www.madbitcoins.com

Check out the broadcasts.  There are PLENTY of shows related to progressive CryptoCurrencies  just like our Particles.

ssshhh

We're on Madbitcoins

I started watching excited about Particles... and, suddenly, my faucet is on screen. Can't wipe the wide silly smile from my face Cheesy
ssshhh

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 08:33:29 PM

www.madbitcoins.com

ssshhh

We're on Madbitcoins

I started watching excited about Particles... and, suddenly, my faucet is on screen. Can't wipe the wide silly smile from my face Cheesy

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
ssshhh

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 08:34:23 PM

www.madbitcoins.com

ssshhh

We're on Madbitcoins

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

1,958 subscribers.....
Snotty

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 08:36:23 PM

1,958 subscribers.....

Oh, don't be a party pooper. It's still something! Smiley

Edit: Sorry, I wasn't sure if you mention subscriber count as a good thing or a bad thing :}
kaene

Activity: 784
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 08:37:17 PM

We're on Madbitcoins

haha, nice!
tomeczekj

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 09:05:54 PM

PghYsiJeBwrGRp4AJttdQvn5wTAXh9jgP2

Smiley
tk808
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1124

Invest in your knowledge

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 09:18:48 PM

my wallet isn't synching, anyone got nodes?
publicjud
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1003

twet.ch/inv/62d7ae96

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 09:23:50 PM

Is this the beta wallet?

Join Twetch twet.ch/inv/62d7ae96
tk808
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1124

Invest in your knowledge

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 09:29:17 PM

Is this the beta wallet?

Yeah the plain old bitcoin copy-paste wallet
Snotty

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 09:40:38 PM

Is this the beta wallet?

Yeah the plain old bitcoin copy-paste wallet

Try: http://forum.bitparticle.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=199#p302
chowdan

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 10:24:42 PM

To everyone:

I think we need to redistribute the hashing power on our coin. This i dont think has been brought up yet, however people need to STOP mining on CoinMines server and move the power to the other servers.

Coinmine currently pulling way to much hashing power compaired to the other servers that are out there.

Please move some of your hashing power out of CoinMine and into the other servers before we get to be a popular coin! This will help all of us in terms of security!

I have moved off CoinMine and over to SuprNova's site. CoinMine and Mine-Pool seem to be both pulling the majority of the network's power - atleast for pools

publicjud
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1003

twet.ch/inv/62d7ae96

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 10:27:54 PM

To everyone:

I think we need to redistribute the hashing power on our coin. This i dont think has been brought up yet, however people need to STOP mining on CoinMines server and move the power to the other servers.

Coinmine currently pulling way to much hashing power compaired to the other servers that are out there.

Please move some of your hashing power out of CoinMine and into the other servers before we get to be a popular coin! This will help all of us in terms of security!

I have moved off CoinMine and over to SuprNova's site. CoinMine and Mine-Pool seem to be both pulling the majority of the network's power - atleast for pools

Where do you look to see how much the pools are pulling compared to network?

Join Twetch twet.ch/inv/62d7ae96
moonmoon (OP)

Activity: 168

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2014, 10:48:56 PM

I have add nodes to 1st post.

We had great idea trollbox on forum.bitparticle.com today to have particle:// links like magnet:// links.  So I am implement for Windows asynchronous pluggable protocol.  Will need define what can do, but first we can do like particle://send/address/amount/comment and particle://app/myapp/somethingitcando.

Hilux raises valid question.  As for 1st point, there are many valid use case, but of course not so appropriate one too.  Do we need angry bird in our wallet?  Probably not.  But there are lots of other possibilties.  Do not underestimate power of having user attention, and attractive of app as like TV in front.

As for 2nd point.  I don't know whole answer yet.  It remains to be figured out.  I imagine will work a lot like Linux repos.  But, security definitely priority.  Apps will run in sandbox.  Technical user like us on btalk are smart enough to check things, but mass population are not.  Only have to look at Windows to understand level of idiots out there ;-)  So, we will put up fences around what apps can do and run in isolated sandbox.  Personally I will only run from source I compile or inspect dll with ILSpy. 

chowdan gets the ethos 100%. very well put.

We are going to enter uncharted territory, but this what makes us special and not copy/paste clone, and what bring opportunity.

particle://prt/send/Pjh1SXpcgaQ7bbbweXU1ioQUWcNtW4yZZx
Nullu

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 10:57:21 PM

We had great idea trollbox on forum.bitparticle.com today to have particle:// links like magnet:// links.  So I am implement for Windows asynchronous pluggable protocol.  Will need define what can do, but first we can do like particle://send/address/amount/comment and particle://app/myapp/somethingitcando.

I really like this idea for many reasons. I think with enough different types of commands it would make website development very fast for using particle by generating these links in PHP or Javascript/etc to create functional websites for Particle; Games, Exhanges, even Stores. You would also need the ability to sign unique IDs to links, so you could intergrate databases, have login systems, etc.

Like; particle://send/address/amount/id/

It would make designing websites for coins extremely fast.

So id might be your id in the database for your online account, so the website database can keep track of transactions, while the link also functions to send coins to the website's wallet. All the security side of things can be handled by the website. You just need to provide the functionality for integration. id would have to match the session data from login, so all the security is handled by the web developer.

Really promising idea.

BTC - 14kYyhhWZwSJFHAjNTtyhRVSu157nE92gF
moonmoon (OP)

Activity: 168

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2014, 11:09:10 PM

We had great idea trollbox on forum.bitparticle.com today to have particle:// links like magnet:// links.  So I am implement for Windows asynchronous pluggable protocol.  Will need define what can do, but first we can do like particle://send/address/amount/comment and particle://app/myapp/somethingitcando.

I really like this idea for many reasons. I think with enough different types of commands it would make website development very fast for using particle by generating these links in PHP or Javascript/etc to create functional websites for Particle; Games, Exhanges, even Stores. You would also need the ability to sign unique IDs to links, so you could intergrate databases, have login systems, etc.

Like; particle://send/address/amount/id/

It would make designing websites for coins extremely fast.

So id might be your id in the database for your online account, so the website database can keep track of transactions, while the link also functions to send coins to the website's wallet. All the security side of things can be handled by the website. You just need to provide the functionality for integration. id would have to match the session data from login, so all the security is handled by the web developer.

Really promising idea.
You mean like use as REST abstraction over the RPC interface?  Only trouble I see is not wanting to run gui wallet on server.  So, we could make a server mode, but then how to do the pluggable protocol on linux...this I don't know how.  If it is like Windows registry entry, something similar on linux, then we could do it. 

particle://prt/send/Pjh1SXpcgaQ7bbbweXU1ioQUWcNtW4yZZx
Pages: « 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 [79] 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 ... 244 »
  Print  

Jump to: