Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 03:12:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Holy CRAP the manipulator has pulled out!!!!! Freefall seems inevitable  (Read 9483 times)
Edward50 (OP)

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 25, 2011, 10:57:04 PM

This looks very bad for bitcoin. This manipulator that I have spoken so much about, just read any of my previous posts, that has increased the bid side of Bitcoin by probably over 100,000-200,000 bitcoins during the last few weeks, has seemed to pulled out!

This is huge, there is totally no support. Last time he pulled out we had plumetted to $5 dollars in no time. There are almost no bid walls anymore. Before today every .10 cents was walled with 2,000 to 3,000 bid wall, now it is down to the hundreds (or what it normally is without the manipulator).

I am not sure what the heck is going on or why this manipulator decided to pull out. But like I have been saying, there was no way that he could keep a floor on the bitcoin price by buying all the bitcoins coming into the market. Eventually this manipulator will pull out and it seems that he has after taking severe losses today.

This could honestly be a really bad down turn coming. It may even reach new lows. I hope most of you have sold when it was in the $11's and $12's like I recommended.

Without this manipulator who seemed to be the sole reason to keep the bitcoin price high since the fall from $30's, bitcoin price will finally settle to its real market price of around $2.00 - $5.00.

I will probably buy bitcoins only when the price finally stablizes around those levels, and only when it is obvious that the manipulator is not in the market. I do not trust a bitcoin price that is based on this single manipulator, as always happens when he pulls out the price plummets.

Just read my past posts and all is like i have been saying.

Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup; You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
coined

Activity: 174
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 25, 2011, 11:05:50 PM

nobody pulled out, no fake bid walls, watched it live, was real selling through the 10-9.7 resistance all the way to low 9's
joulesbeef

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

moOo

View Profile
August 25, 2011, 11:06:58 PM

pretty sure the last time was due to fall out from mybitcoin and that exchange that lost it;s wallet.
This looks like fizzle from the people who expected rally after the conference and went heavy into BTC and now need to get out since it isnt going to 20 and pay rent.

IMO anyways.

but $5 btc would make me happy, but I'm always happy.

mooo for rent
matsh

Activity: 93
Merit: 11

View Profile
August 25, 2011, 11:07:05 PM

I see plenty of walls of support. Besides, looking at your previous posts shows you're just a guy constantly predicting gloom and doom. Booooring!
Luke-Jr
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
August 25, 2011, 11:10:32 PM

The real market value is over $30. Get some cheap while you can.

gw4tt

Activity: 126

View Profile
August 25, 2011, 11:26:01 PM

i have some buys setup around $5 - 6 just in case.
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
August 25, 2011, 11:27:16 PM

If it gets to $5-$6, I'll be buying a lot too.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
August 25, 2011, 11:29:55 PM

If I was a moderator I would delete posts like the OP.

I'm glad you are not the moderator.  Did you read the rules?  There seem to be none (refreshingly!)

The speculation board is all kinds of fun to watch and good for a cheap laugh when I am in need of a break.  Mostly it's just people trying to manipulate public perception to their own benefit...and probably with less success than they might be thinking they are having.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
August 25, 2011, 11:38:46 PM

I'm glad you are not the moderator.  Did you read the rules?  There seem to be none (refreshingly!)

The speculation board is all kinds of fun to watch and good for a cheap laugh when I am in need of a break.  Mostly it's just people trying to manipulate public perception to their own benefit...and probably with less success than they might be thinking they are having.
I normally agree but I think these ridiculous posts are getting a bit out of line even for the speculation board. So if I was a mod I would also do something.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
Serge
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 25, 2011, 11:45:13 PM

only manipulator here is the OP author
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
August 26, 2011, 12:20:38 AM

only manipulator here is the OP author

You don't need to say author, OP can also mean original poster Wink

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
Edward50 (OP)

View Profile
August 26, 2011, 12:32:18 AM

I normally agree but I think these ridiculous posts are getting a bit out of line even for the speculation board. So if I was a mod I would also do something.

Is this not the speculation area of the forum? I am speculating that the price is going to fall and using hard facts like the bid side on mt. gox. losing 100,000 of bid orders in only a few hours. The price has also sunk from 11's all the way into the 9's.

This is huge, why would you want to delete posts like this?

I watch the bid order side on mt. gox multiple times a day. What I am seeing is a huge pullout.

But this is the speculation part of the forum, I always back up my claims with as much information as possible, I see no reason why a moderator would want to delete this unless you guys want to hide the fact that things are looking very very bad if you currently own bitcoins.

Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup; You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.
Mousepotato

Activity: 896

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
August 26, 2011, 12:58:40 AM

On the bright side, at least it's something the dollar is getting stronger against.

Mousepotato
Oldminer
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 26, 2011, 01:04:12 AM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=38658.0

If you like my post please feel free to give me some positive rep https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=trust;u=18639
Tip me BTC: 1FBmoYijXVizfYk25CpiN8Eds9J6YiRDaX
mute20

Activity: 265

View Profile
August 26, 2011, 01:05:25 AM

Seems like a upswing is occurring  Cool almost back to 10$
http://bitcoincharts.com/markets/
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
August 26, 2011, 02:08:58 AM

Gotta watch those upswings in a downtrend.  Hope you didn't buy on it.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
fcmatt
Legendary

Activity: 2072

View Profile
August 26, 2011, 02:17:13 AM

Gotta watch those upswings in a downtrend.  Hope you didn't buy on it.

I cannot seem to make up my mind if this weekend is going to be a downer or not.
Pretty good chance there will be more sellers then buyers if I had to guess so I am holding off.
mute20

Activity: 265

View Profile
August 26, 2011, 03:28:24 AM

I am just hoping it jumps up in the next 2 or 3 weeks.
sharky112065

Activity: 383

View Profile
August 26, 2011, 08:48:04 AM

The sky is falling! the sky is falling! Oh crap. Oh wait. It's still there.

Donations welcome: 12KaKtrK52iQjPdtsJq7fJ7smC32tXWbWr
ThomasV
Legendary

Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2011, 09:37:39 AM

This looks very bad for us. This manipulator that I have spoken so much about, just read any of my previous posts, that has increased the ask side of Bitcoin by probably over 10,000-20,000 bitcoins during the last few weeks, has seemed to pulled out!

This is huge, there is absolutely no supply. Last time he pulled out we had jumped to $30 dollars in no time. There are almost no ask walls anymore. Before today every .10 cents was walled with 2,000 to 3,000 ask wall, now it is down to the hundreds (or what it normally is without the manipulator).

I am not sure what the heck is going on or why this manipulator decided to pull out. But like I have been saying, there was no way that he could keep a ceiling on the bitcoin price by buying all the dollars coming into the market. Eventually this manipulator will pull out and it seems that he has after taking severe losses today.

This could honestly be a really bad rally coming. It may even reach new highs. I hope most of you have bought when it was in the $11's and $12's like I recommended.

Without this manipulator who seemed to be the sole reason to keep the bitcoin price low since the rise from $5's, bitcoin price will finally settle to its real market price of around $20 - $50.

I will probably sell bitcoins only when the price finally stablizes around those levels, and only when it is obvious that the manipulator is not in the market. I do not trust a bitcoin price that is based on this single manipulator, as always happens when he pulls out the price skyrockets.

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks
322i0n

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2011, 09:57:48 AM

Why worry.

when you can take advantage of the drop in price.

Supporting The Global Insurrection Against Banker Occupation
BTC: 1C1w6t1dMkEXeCntURxDiBiWsTbdJbvTr9
NMC: N6uNpVPAdpTur4Hwr8Sqgd6kxcKPto4S2T
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2011, 10:00:53 AM

You people make it sound if there is only one manipulator. I think there would be a decent amount of veterans still sitting on most of their holdings playing this game.
Oldminer
Legendary

View Profile
August 26, 2011, 10:09:15 AM

The world's turning - yet it seems some people haven't realised it yet...

If you like my post please feel free to give me some positive rep https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=trust;u=18639
YoYa

Activity: 809
Merit: 501

Always verify deals with me through my public key!

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2011, 11:23:07 AM

Gent's set your phasers to IxCoin! Cheesy
Swishercutter

Activity: 210

View Profile
August 26, 2011, 11:28:54 AM

This looks very bad for us. This manipulator that I have spoken so much about, just read any of my previous posts, that has increased the ask side of Bitcoin by probably over 10,000-20,000 bitcoins during the last few weeks, has seemed to pulled out!

This is huge, there is absolutely no supply. Last time he pulled out we had jumped to $30 dollars in no time. There are almost no ask walls anymore. Before today every .10 cents was walled with 2,000 to 3,000 ask wall, now it is down to the hundreds (or what it normally is without the manipulator).

I am not sure what the heck is going on or why this manipulator decided to pull out. But like I have been saying, there was no way that he could keep a ceiling on the bitcoin price by buying all the dollars coming into the market. Eventually this manipulator will pull out and it seems that he has after taking severe losses today.

This could honestly be a really bad rally coming. It may even reach new highs. I hope most of you have bought when it was in the $11's and $12's like I recommended.

Without this manipulator who seemed to be the sole reason to keep the bitcoin price low since the rise from $5's, bitcoin price will finally settle to its real market price of around $20 - $50.

I will probably sell bitcoins only when the price finally stablizes around those levels, and only when it is obvious that the manipulator is not in the market. I do not trust a bitcoin price that is based on this single manipulator, as always happens when he pulls out the price skyrockets.

I kinda agree...the manipulator(s) were not propping the market up they were drawing sheep down.  Plus all the stupid .00/.05/.10 repeated bids were simply there to give an illusion that the market price was at a constantly lower price.   The majority of sellers value their BTC at a much higher value and would rather not sell then to be led down for the slaughter.

Good luck to all who believe the OP...it'll be fine.
Oldminer
Legendary

View Profile
August 26, 2011, 11:37:18 AM

Gent's set your phasers to IxCoin! Cheesy

Nah stick with Bitcoin..please...it keeps the value of our currency up lol

kiwiasian

Activity: 168

View Profile
August 26, 2011, 01:06:52 PM

Edward, you seem to have invested a lot of time in investigating this "market manipulator." Perhaps you got a little something for him?

*wink*

Tradehill referral link, save 10% | http://www.tradehill.com/?r=TH-R12328
www.payb.tc/kiwiasian | 1LHNW1JGMBo2e7rKiiFz7KJPKE57bqCdEC
Edward50 (OP)

View Profile
August 26, 2011, 02:30:56 PM

This is no joke anymore, Bitcoin price is reaching new lows every day. The inevitable drop is still on. How much longer can the market get hit without the manipulator putting in his floor and getting back in? The higher psychological bitcoin price level is getting pounded. Nobody will buy bitcions for more than $10 dollars when it always just drops right back down.

Everything I said seems to be happening. Only if you are delusional will you think otherwise. Does it matter if a bunch of miners think their bitcoins are worth $50??? I do not own 1 bitcoin, never have. Do I really care if a miner thinks his bitcoins are worth $50 dollars each? Do any other buyers out there think it matters if they are worth $50 dollars each. NO! If no buyers think they are worth it, well they are not worth $50 dollars. I think all my baseball cards are worth $50,000,000 each, so do many other people, does that mean there is a buyer who would pay that?

THIS IS HUGE. You were warned to sell at $11.

REMEMBER, every time the bitcoin hit a new low, it always rebounded higher, to shortly after always hit an even NEWER LOW!!!

If this same pattern holds true, expect bitcoins to fall below $5.00. THIS IS HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!! You people really have no idea the true value of bitcoins because the price has been manipulated so damn much!

Yes there are many buyers holding out, there will always be buyers holding out!!!!!! just like in stocks when the price drops close to 0. Crap, I own 3DFX stock still LOL, I thought it was worth much more, so did many other holders of 3dFX stock. Does it matter that I think or thought it was worth more, or the majority of 3DFX stockholders who held onto their investment. IT DOES NOT MATTER. The market price seems to be set by the 5%-15% of market holders, not the majority!!!!!!!!!

SELL YOUR BITCOINS While the price is still high. If this manipulator does not come back in anytime soon you will lose lots of money! Keep checking the bid side of bitcoins! use common sense. Do not listen to the people here who hold bitcoins thinking they will get to $50. Cut your losses right now before it is to late.

Piper67
Legendary

Activity: 1106

View Profile
August 26, 2011, 02:47:06 PM

Hey Edward, everything EVERYONE has said keeps happening.

BTC goes up, BTC goes down. Market gets manipulated. Merchants get new solutions. Market rises, market falls. You aren't really making any predictions that shine because of their uniqueness or usefulness.

You're just so much more noise.
the founder

Activity: 448
Merit: 251

Bitcoin

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2011, 02:55:40 PM

I have to admit I have mixed feelings about this,   yea it's dropping in price.. but deposits at flexcoin hit the roof. 

generally there's an inverse relationship ...  (not always but it appears to be that way more than 50% of the time)... 

Bitcoin RSS App / Bitcoin Android App / Bitcoin Webapp http://www.ounce.me  Say thank you here:  1HByHZQ44LUCxxpnqtXDuJVmrSdrGK6Q2f
Piper67
Legendary

View Profile
August 26, 2011, 02:58:20 PM

I have to admit I have mixed feelings about this,   yea it's dropping in price.. but deposits at flexcoin hit the roof. 

generally there's an inverse relationship ...  (not always but it appears to be that way more than 50% of the time)... 

Heh, Founder, for every BTC sold, one BTC is bought! Thousands of bitcoins have been dumped into the market in the last few hours. Where did you think they'd be going?

If anything, take it as a strong vote of confidence that those buying think Flexcoin is worthy of their trust.
fcmatt
Legendary

Activity: 2072

View Profile
August 26, 2011, 02:59:00 PM

BTC goes up, BTC goes down. Market gets manipulated. Merchants get new solutions. Market rises, market falls. You aren't really making any predictions that shine because of their uniqueness or usefulness.

well the timing of his post was spot on.

sure it does not mention head and shoulders or my ass wave theory... but when all those bids went poof..
he make a prediction. and that is what this section of the forum is for.

dancupid

Activity: 955
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 26, 2011, 03:02:55 PM

I have to admit I have mixed feelings about this,   yea it's dropping in price.. but deposits at flexcoin hit the roof.  

generally there's an inverse relationship ...  (not always but it appears to be that way more than 50% of the time)...  

Heh, Founder, for every BTC sold, one BTC is bought! Thousands of bitcoins have been dumped into the market in the last few hours. Where did you think they'd be going?

If anything, take it as a strong vote of confidence that those buying think Flexcoin is worthy of their trust.

Assuming that the person buying isn't just the same person selling them (you just need 2 mt.gox accounts)
Piper67
Legendary

View Profile
August 26, 2011, 03:03:46 PM

well the timing of his post was spot on.

sure it does not mention head and shoulders or my ass wave theory... but when all those bids went poof..
he make a prediction. and that is what this section of the forum is for.

Yes, but it's just a matter of scale and perspective. Take it from just a few days before, or a few days after, and you can make the results fit pretty much any prediction. Edward's theory of a "hidden manipulator" is just hot air, and I suspect he knows it. There are several manipulators of the BTC market out there, and they're equally out in the open, we can see them when 7,000 BTC all get sold at the same time... or when 10,000 BTC all get bought at the same time. Nothing hidden at all.

The real mystery is why someone so clearly convinced of Bitcoin's ultimate doom is spending his (or her) time on these forums, posting relentlessly, though conveniently disappearing when the value of BTC rises against the dollar.

I don't believe in the ultimate truth of Hinduism, but I have never, ever, even remotely considered joining a Hindu forum  Wink
Piper67
Legendary

View Profile
August 26, 2011, 03:05:09 PM

Assuming that the person buying isn't just the person selling them (you just need 2 mt.gox accounts)

You are quite right. But even if that was the case, his or her whole idea in doing that would be to create downwards momentum, so there would be others (miners, hoarders, people who need to pay rent), who'll go into "panic sell" mode.
dancupid

View Profile
August 26, 2011, 03:10:30 PM

Assuming that the person buying isn't just the person selling them (you just need 2 mt.gox accounts)

You are quite right. But even if that was the case, his or her whole idea in doing that would be to create downwards momentum, so there would be others (miners, hoarders, people who need to pay rent), who'll go into "panic sell" mode.

At which point he can start buying, and when the time is right do the same thing in the opposite direction and then sell and drag down the price and then buy and then....
Piper67
Legendary

View Profile
August 26, 2011, 03:15:53 PM

At which point he can start buying, and when the time is right do the same thing in the opposite direction and then sell and drag down the price and then buy and then....

True, but he (or she) cannot really guarantee that when he dumps thousands of BTC, he'll be able to buy them all back. Some will get snagged by others. Also, he (or she) could get trumped on by someone with more USD at the ready in their account. If you jump in quickly enough, or just a fraction of a cent sooner, you can take all the BTC that the original manipulator wanted for himself (or herself).

It's a bit of a gamble, especially as more traders with money start coming in.
Cluster2k
Legendary

Activity: 1692
Merit: 1018

View Profile
August 26, 2011, 03:25:18 PM

This volatility is very bad for bitcoin in the long run.  If it can rise and fall 20% within a couple of days, why would anyone use it as a currency?  It would be a silly move.  The only real purpose bitcoins seem to serve right now is a vehicle for highly speculative investing.  There's nothing wrong with that of course, and participants seem to be enjoying the action, but anyone looking on would think this whole thing is far too unstable.
dancupid

View Profile
August 26, 2011, 03:30:50 PM

True, but he (or she) cannot really guarantee that when he dumps thousands of BTC, he'll be able to buy them all back. Some will get snagged by others. Also, he (or she) could get trumped on by someone with more USD at the ready in their account. If you jump in quickly enough, or just a fraction of a cent sooner, you can take all the BTC that the original manipulator wanted for himself (or herself).

It's a gamble, but someone with the right tools could analyses the orderbook, look for the moment where there is a distribution that allows them to buy back all their own bitcoins plus a few others and drag the price down to the level they want. Anyone with 10,000 btc and $100,000 could do whatever they wanted.  A 6000 btc buy can drag the price down 5%.
My advice would be to assume manipulation and let the manipulator be your guide - ie buy low and sell high (most obvious statement of the year I know - but the market is distorted by big players).
Cluster2k
Legendary

View Profile
August 26, 2011, 03:32:56 PM

Watching MtGox Live atm.  I haven't seen the bids and asks so unbalanced for a long time.  Nice 'wall' at $8.50.  Of course, if the long blue ask tongue takes even a lick of that 'wall' it will come crumbling down within minutes.

BTW, the same people are claiming bitcoin is being manipulated by one or maybe a few large bots.  Has anyone delivered any evidence of this, or is it simply inferred from looking at the trading action and thinking 'this must be rigged'?
Piper67
Legendary

View Profile
August 26, 2011, 03:35:45 PM

It's a gamble, but someone with the right tools could analyses the orderbook, look for the moment where there is a distribution that allows them to buy back all their own bitcoins plus a few others and drag the price down to the level they want. Anyone with 10,000 btc and $100,000 could do whatever they wanted.  A 6000 btc buy can drag the price down 5%.
My advice would be to assume manipulation and let the manipulator be your guide - ie buy low and sell high (most obvious statement of the year I know - but the market is distorted by big players).

Agreed, at current BTC/USD prices, a trivially small amount of money would allow any trader to make thousands during a five minute break in his lunch hour  Grin

Things will start to change once the price of each BTC rises significantly... that should weed out the small time manipulators.
dancupid

View Profile
August 26, 2011, 04:12:39 PM

Agreed, at current BTC/USD prices, a trivially small amount of money would allow any trader to make thousands during a five minute break in his lunch hour  Grin

Things will start to change once the price of each BTC rises significantly... that should weed out the small time manipulators.

What we need is a few more big players - make manipulation more competitive.
Jack of Diamonds

Activity: 252
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 26, 2011, 07:00:48 PM

What is this based on?

Not as a skeptical question, but since you as a big pool op. might have better understanding of the market, statistics etc.
(I find $30 perfectly logical in the long term, just would like to know the reasoning)

1f3gHNoBodYw1LLs3ndY0UanYB1tC0lnsBec4USeYoU9AREaCH34PBeGgAR67fx
Piper67
Legendary

View Profile
August 26, 2011, 07:07:24 PM

What is this based on?

Not as a skeptical question, but since you as a big pool op. might have better understanding of the market, statistics etc.
(I find $30 perfectly logical in the long term, just would like to know the reasoning)

Heh, the REAL market value is upwards of $10,000 per BTC... it all depends what decade we're talking about  Grin
Nagle
Legendary

Activity: 1204

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2011, 07:22:58 PM

Bitcoin/USD, Mt. Gox, last 60 days. The long, slow slide continues.

It's a long, slow slide as the bubble deflates. The market is so thin that when someone does a big sell, there's a big drop. Then there's a recovery, but it's always lower than the previous high.

Look at the last full year:

Bitcoin - a classic speculative bubble.

I've been saying this consistently for months. Time is proving me right.
dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
August 26, 2011, 07:31:56 PM

Long slow slide? Of course! That's what these charts say!
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2011, 07:35:57 PM

Look at the last full year:

Bitcoin - a classic speculative bubble.

I've been saying this consistently for months. Time is proving me right.

The thing with bubbles is:
They either recover to a median value or completely die out. I can't possible imagine the latter at this point. So the question we have to ask us: where will the median be?

Also, especially within bitcoin there is a fractal pattern of bubbles, this is just the biggest yet and there are even larger ones coming up. and each circle takes proportionally longer. The gartner hype cycle and black swan theory both agree on this. So we are absolutely fine. And if you don't have to cash out soon it's even completely fine individually.
Nagle
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2011, 04:55:03 AM

The thing with bubbles is: They either recover to a median value or completely die out. I can't possible imagine the latter at this point.
Why not? Pyramid schemes normally die out. The only way Bitcoin can have a long life is if it develops substantial use as a medium of exchange. That's not happening. If the Bitcoin world is dominated by speculation, it's doomed.
dustintrammell
VIP

Activity: 156
Merit: 103

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2011, 05:24:30 AM

This could honestly be a really bad down turn coming. It may even reach new lows.

What would a "new" low be?  Considering that the USD price of BTC started at $0, I don't think you can really get much lower than that. (:

Unless you want to PAY me to take your Bitcoins, which I'll be happy to do if there ever comes the day...

Dustin D. Trammell
Twitter: @druidian
PGP: E0DC F55C 9386 1691 A67F FB18 F6D9 5E52 FDA6 6E16
Cluster2k
Legendary

View Profile
August 27, 2011, 06:54:58 AM

The thing with bubbles is: They either recover to a median value or completely die out. I can't possible imagine the latter at this point.
Why not? Pyramid schemes normally die out. The only way Bitcoin can have a long life is if it develops substantial use as a medium of exchange. That's not happening. If the Bitcoin world is dominated by speculation, it's doomed.

I don't think bitcoin can be described as a pyramid scheme.  It's more like a dotcom stock in 1999.  There's a lot of hype, a big push towards the 'new paradigm' by supporters and those with vested interests, and very little real economic activity to support it all.  The dotcom bubble didn't burst because it was a pyramid scheme.  It burst because people opened their eyes and looked at why they should keep investing in it.  They saw nothing, and left in a mad rush.

Nagle
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2011, 07:10:31 AM

I don't think bitcoin can be described as a pyramid scheme.  It's more like a dotcom stock in 1999.  There's a lot of hype, a big push towards the 'new paradigm' by supporters and those with vested interests, and very little real economic activity to support it all.  The dotcom bubble didn't burst because it was a pyramid scheme.  It burst because people opened their eyes and looked at why they should keep investing in it.  They saw nothing, and left in a mad rush.

Bitcoin isn't like a stock because it doesn't generate revenue. The speculation end is a zero-sum game. 

I agree about the "lot of hype, new paradigm talk, very little economic activity" part. 
Cluster2k
Legendary

View Profile
August 27, 2011, 08:15:48 AM

Bitcoin isn't like a stock because it doesn't generate revenue. The speculation end is a zero-sum game. 

A large majority of dotcom stocks didn't generate any revenue either :-)  They were rather brilliant at burning cash however.
istar

Activity: 523

View Profile
August 27, 2011, 08:24:01 AM

I agree about the "lot of hype, new paradigm talk, very little economic activity" part. 

It has potential to "generate revenue" by avoiding taxes and Fees.

Though there is 7200 new each day! If you would stop the amount of new bitcoins generated now it would not go lower.
But right now Investors need to put in $7200 x8 each day to keep the longterm value above $8. Even if miners would only sell half of that.

$7200 x4 is still plenty of money to get into the economy every day.

Bitcoins - Because we should not pay to use our money
S3052
Legendary

Activity: 2100

View Profile
August 27, 2011, 09:18:53 AM

As mentioned before, one big issue with bitcoin is related to one of its greatest benefits: The decentralization. This fosters individuals randomly developing (often great businesses around bitcoin). But noone coordinates PR, marketing , advertising, which means a lot of waste and contradictory messages.

Companies -at least many of them- do consistent brand building, which bitcoins are lacking massively.

If this does not start quickly, the "outside world" will be successful keeping bitcoins down. I.e. bitcoins is acompetition to government currencies, to big credit cards companies, etc.

Coordinated efforts are needed from all of us bitcoiners, rather than complaining and debating about minor issues in this forum foreever.

Technomage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2011, 11:49:22 AM

As mentioned before, one big issue with bitcoin is related to one of its greatest benefits: The decentralization. This fosters individuals randomly developing (often great businesses around bitcoin). But noone coordinates PR, marketing , advertising, which means a lot of waste and contradictory messages.

Companies -at least many of them- do consistent brand building, which bitcoins are lacking massively.

If this does not start quickly, the "outside world" will be successful keeping bitcoins down. I.e. bitcoins is acompetition to government currencies, to big credit cards companies, etc.

Coordinated efforts are needed from all of us bitcoiners, rather than complaining and debating about minor issues in this forum foreever.
+1

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
Cluster2k
Legendary

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 06:47:51 AM

This forum is called Speculation.  I agree endless posts speculating about bitcoin's value would be out of place in a software development forum, or product ideas forum.

Is bitcoin a competition to government currencies or Visa/Mastercard/etc?  Maybe one day, in the distant future, if everything goes right.  The outside world doesn't have to be successful in keeping bitcoins down.  It sounds like a conspiracy theory.  Bitcoin needs to prove its worth by doing something useful.
indio007

Activity: 224

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 06:58:09 AM

The 7200 x $8 is based on a false assumption. Namely that those 7200 BTC are going to be sold on for US dollars the same day and all the $ denominated exchanges will have price parity.

The fact is that doesn't happen. BTC are converted into several currencies and ppl. don't sell all their BTC everyday. There are plenty of people in it for the long term. There are also people the buy things with their BTC.

7200 x whatever is bogus.
Technomage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2011, 11:31:18 AM

The 7200 x $8 is based on a false assumption. Namely that those 7200 BTC are going to be sold on for US dollars the same day and all the $ denominated exchanges will have price parity.

The fact is that doesn't happen. BTC are converted into several currencies and ppl. don't sell all their BTC everyday. There are plenty of people in it for the long term. There are also people the buy things with their BTC.

7200 x whatever is bogus.
+1

film2240
Legendary

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2011, 05:22:47 PM

The OP mentioned somethign I found rather interesting.How did he know of a 'manipulator' that affected BTC value? How did they make contact? Is the OP a friend of the 'manipulator'? I think that (even though I feel odd about this idea) we should maybe try to find the next big thing that can affect BTC value for the better as well as maybe bringing him/her back if possible.I want to get the best price for my BTC and just move onto other business ventures.

Will prices bounce backup for BTC or is it in freefall for good now? Has anyone got the charts for the value?

[This signature is available for rent.BTC/ETH/LTC or £50 equivalent a month]
sveetsnelda

Activity: 642

View Profile
August 31, 2011, 05:30:48 PM

The OP mentioned somethign I found rather interesting.How did he know of a 'manipulator' that affected BTC value? How did they make contact? Is the OP a friend of the 'manipulator'?
Conspiracy theory much?

He "knows" because it's been a commonly talked about subject.  The market manipulation has been fairly obvious.  Since the Bitcoin market is so small (relatively) in comparison to major markets, it doesn't take much to buy in and swing the market around.

14u2rp4AqFtN5jkwK944nn741FnfF714m7
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
August 31, 2011, 06:03:47 PM

I want to change my screen name to "The Manipulator".  Roll Eyes

I've done well in the stock/bond markets, angel investing, art, real estate, and bitcoins. The one thing I have learned is to not listen to others. If you feel an investment is a good idea, do it. Those who say the sky is falling or too expect 50% growth per year are just guessing.
On the other hand if you feel uneasy, get out. I pulled out just before the 90's tech bubble burst. I did this against the advise of "experts". Even a cursory review of the statistical efficacy of experts will reveal that they know nothing.
Most investors base their investments on emotion. You want to beat them? Base your decisions on math.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
film2240
Legendary

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2011, 07:11:56 PM

I am just hoping it jumps up in the next 2 or 3 weeks.

I agree with you on this.I wish to recoup £74 worth of BTC I invested in thinking I'd make a nice profit,instead the value dropped loads and £74 becomes much less than that (since the crash from ~$11 per btc to what it is now.) I also have a small supply of other bit coins so selling 2 would easily recoup my losses when it bounces right back (and $$$).

In the next 2 weeks guys,do you think the BTC value would recover? I certainly hope so soon.

Cluster2k
Legendary

View Profile
September 01, 2011, 01:21:08 AM

Whenever the market moves in a way that displeases bitcoin traders, they shout about The Manipulator.  He's everywhere, and controls every market move.  Clever fellow.

On the other hand if you feel uneasy, get out. I pulled out just before the 90's tech bubble burst. I did this against the advise of "experts".

It seems many have.  Bitcoins are 75% off their highs.  At the time of the bubble there was a 'to the moon, and beyond!' price crowd that could see no problems in the exponential price growth curve.  I got out, and sold most of my coins in the 20s and high teens.

Most investors base their investments on emotion. You want to beat them? Base your decisions on math.

Unfortunately those basing their decisions purely on emotion always have far more money than you do :-)
Tasty Champa

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 01, 2011, 02:01:55 AM

I haven't read much of what OP has wrote and I haven't read this entire thread yet, but I know what he is talking about.

Lately I had just assumed it was actually MTGOX doing it,
needing a way to grab bitomat without any loss to themselves.

Whoever it is if it isn't MTGox, they definitely know who it is.
Cluster2k
Legendary

View Profile
September 01, 2011, 02:12:10 AM

I haven't read much of what OP has wrote and I haven't read this entire thread yet, but I know what he is talking about.

Lately I had just assumed it was actually MTGOX doing it,
needing a way to grab bitomat without any loss to themselves.

Whoever it is if it isn't MTGox, they definitely know who it is.

If MtGox was manipulating the price as suggested, wouldn't they manipulate it to go higher?  They make a cut from every trade, and it seems obvious they would let the public bots play at a higher price as that delivers higher income.

If there truly is one manipulator pulling and pushing the market then it's even more alarming than I would have imagined.  The market would essentially be paper thin with no support against a complete collapse due to a lack of natural price support.
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2011, 02:25:01 AM

If there are "manipulators pulling out", I would be willing to bet that there are a lot of MtGox USD sitting on MtGox that are not actively sitting on the exchange in the form of bids.  Those bids may have disappeared in a flash, but they almost certainly didn't all get withdrawn through Dwolla!  The daily and monthly withdrawal limit practically guarantees that.

And it makes sense.  Why should anyone looking for a sweet deal on BTC leave bids up, when removing the bids will result in a more favorable buy price?  If I were looking to make a big buy right now, I would be leaving my money completely off the bid chart, waiting for the price to fall lower and lower before I executed.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
dserrano5
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1029

View Profile
September 01, 2011, 09:28:02 AM

Whenever the market moves in a way that displeases bitcoin traders, they shout about The Manipulator.  He's everywhere, and controls every market move.  Clever fellow.

In fact, I am The Manipulator. Whenever I buy, price drops and vice versa. I'm sure there are tons of other Manipulators who move the market like this.
SlaveInDebt

Activity: 699

Your Minion

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 12:06:06 PM

Hmmm Huh

"A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining, but wants it back the minute it begins to rain." - Mark Twain
julz
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 12:22:39 PM

Hmmm Huh

What was so hmmm-able about that?

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
SlaveInDebt

Your Minion

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 12:26:12 PM

What was so hmmm-able about that?

Why build a wall at days high? Hmmm.

"A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining, but wants it back the minute it begins to rain." - Mark Twain
julz
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 12:41:22 PM

The wall was built where it was built.
The high hit it and nibbled some off it.

*shrug* That's how it looks to me.

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
SlaveInDebt

Your Minion

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 12:42:58 PM

Missed the nibbling I guess *shrug

Minsc

View Profile
September 21, 2011, 04:13:44 PM

It's happening again!

1DcXvfJdeJch9uptKopte5XQarTtj5ZjpL
NamelessOne
Legendary

Activity: 840

View Profile
September 21, 2011, 04:16:59 PM

The general trend is still up through based on T.A. Most analysts predicted this fall and simply suggested buy more if possible when it is lower before it goes back up. I find it annoying as I'd rather it just climb and not have The Manipulator playing with us with 17000BTC walls, but I'll try to deal with it and make some money.

ineededausername

Activity: 784

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
September 21, 2011, 04:17:06 PM

lol relax... this time we aren't in the middle of a massive downtrend.  We actually have buying pressure now.

(BFL)^2 < 0
Edward50 (OP)

View Profile
September 21, 2011, 06:53:37 PM

It does indeed look like the bid side of mt. gox has gotten lower.

However, with the price pretty low now huge free fall's probably won't happen as easily.

Minsc

View Profile
September 21, 2011, 10:59:54 PM

My theory: Today, when the price neared $5, he pumped it up again so he could sell off the coins he bought as a prelude to sending it to the $4s.

I do appreciate his efforts to keep the price from stagnating.  Stagnation is horrible!

ineededausername

Activity: 784

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
September 21, 2011, 11:30:59 PM

Guys, minsc is bearish so we have a RALLY!!!

(BFL)^2 < 0
Bigpiggy01

Activity: 1138
Merit: 523

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2011, 02:48:08 PM

It does indeed look like the bid side of mt. gox has gotten lower.

However, with the price pretty low now huge free fall's probably won't happen as easily.

+1

We're just having a break before the next push up Grin

▄▄▄█
              ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀
      ▄▄█████████████████▀  ▄█
   ▄██████████████████▀ ▄▄██▀
  ███████████████▀▀  ▄▄█▀▀
 ███████████▀▀▀     ▀▀
 ██████▀▀   ▄    █
 ███▀  ▄▄████   ▐█
 █▀   ▄████▀   ▄█▌
      ▀▀▀    ▄██▌
▐▄ ▀█▄▄  ▄▄████▀
██▀  ▀▀█████▀▀
▐▌
RAPTOREUM
  TOKENIZING THE WORLD!
  ██▀
▐▌
▐║
▐║
▐▌
██▄
[ POW Algorithm: GhostRider    Anti-FPGA/ASIC ]
Assets/Tokens Masternodes Smart Contracts

.51% / Double Spend Protection, Instant Speed, Private Send.
▀██
▐▌
║▌
║▌
▐▌
▄██
█▀

█▄
◈ ──  SOCIAL MEDIA ─── ◈
Reddit Telegram Discord
Twitter  Medium GitHub
▀█
  █
  █
  █
  █
  █
▄█
Minsc

View Profile
September 22, 2011, 09:35:04 PM

Well today, he's finally pulled out his huge buywall so hopefully it will freefall this Thursday.  I bet those people who bought at 5.60 and those bots that insulted him from some of the sell orders feel silly now.

Minsc

View Profile
September 24, 2011, 04:00:19 PM

The Manipulator has cancelled his 3000BC buywall so my money is a drop to $2.  I'm going all in with a large order of all my money for $100 worth of coins there.

NamelessOne
Legendary

View Profile
September 24, 2011, 04:09:29 PM

Where was that buy 3000btc wall you are talking about? People have been selling into various walls for the last two hour. And there are plenty remaining.
Cluster2k
Legendary

View Profile
September 24, 2011, 04:10:26 PM

The Manipulator has cancelled his 3000BC buywall so my money is a drop to $2.  I'm going all in with a large order of all my money for $100 worth of coins there.

I can't quite tell whether you're being ironic about your large order, or whether you think $100 is actually a large amount of money.  For a teenager it can be, for anyone else it's a drop in the ocean.
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
September 24, 2011, 04:17:40 PM

I can't quite tell whether you're being ironic about your large order, or whether you think $100 is actually a large amount of money.  For a teenager it can be, for anyone else it's a drop in the ocean.

Hopefully his large $100 bid wall keeps the price from going lower.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
teukon
Legendary

Activity: 1246

View Profile
September 24, 2011, 05:10:18 PM

Man, I was wondering who put that massive bid wall up.  This is going to have us stuck at an artificially high BTC price for days! Angry
Minsc

View Profile
September 24, 2011, 07:16:10 PM

Man, I was wondering who put that massive bid wall up.  This is going to have us stuck at an artificially high BTC price for days! Angry

I have found that whenever I buy on a bull market, the price drops.  The only way to buy coins that aren't overpriced is the very tip of a bear market.  I was hoping Thursday it would drop but it's Saturday and still not stagnating.  If it doesn't drop soon, I'm just taking my money out (to pay my rent) and then not putting any in until October 7th as the first week of the past few months have always been massive price drops that permanently lower bitcoin prices by several dollars.

Oh and this winter when mining makes electricity basically free, price may reach I don't know $1 temporarily.

S3052
Legendary

Activity: 2100

View Profile
September 24, 2011, 08:08:42 PM

Don't assume weekly or monthly calendar patterns persist. Very often you find 2-3 times fulfilling your prophecy and then they do not work any more.
I still remember the talks about the dead-sure weekend drop and then it did not happen at all any more.

NamelessOne
Legendary

View Profile
September 24, 2011, 08:40:15 PM

Don't assume weekly or monthly calendar patterns persist. Very often you find 2-3 times fulfilling your prophecy and then they do not work any more.
I still remember the talks about the dead-sure weekend drop and then it did not happen at all any more.

Yes exactly. Recently it could be said that weekends are the rally days, but that might not last either.
Otoh
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3024
Merit: 1105

View Profile
September 27, 2011, 11:29:03 PM

BTC = $c²     My BTC addie = 1otohotohMoQoxHuxLBveQiZcV3Pji3Tc 
Bitstamp Exchange: Referal Code
CHARITY | MY REP | PREDICTION 1 | PREDICTION 2 | PREDICTION 3
worldinacoin

Activity: 756

View Profile
September 27, 2011, 11:39:26 PM

I find that bitcoin is quite stable at the moment, maybe it is not the price that we want but stable nonetheless, which is good for merchants and their customers who are adopting bitcoins.
Minsc

View Profile
September 28, 2011, 02:55:30 AM

A 15% spread in 48 hours. That is not 'stable'.

5 * 0.15 = 0.75
The most wild of the swings were 5.13 and 4.78.  5.13-4.78 = 0.35

However, you cannot count the wild swings because they last moments and half the time Gox doesn't fill out people's orders and so you can only count on what the price been most of the time, which has been from 4.86 through 4.96.  That's about 1% movement a day

If this is too technical, look at http://mtgoxlive.com/orders?volumeon
Does it look like a tornado going all the way up?
In the last 96 hours it has been basically around 4.90 and not moving except one attempt at a rally that the manipulator crushed so he could buy cheap coins.  (4.90ish is a good low price to buy them the way things are going).

Basically the price has stagnated.  This is bad for speculators because if it swung from 5.00 to 6.00 every day and back and forth it would be far more stable than jumping somewhere and stagnating.  You could be all "Oh it will be back to X amount in a day so no worries, I can price my products based on this."

Instead it jumps, then it stagnates for days, then it jumps and stagnates.

Minsc

View Profile
October 19, 2011, 03:09:26 AM

nobody pulled out, no fake bid walls, watched it live, was real selling through the 10-9.7 resistance all the way to low 9's

Yes when it crashes big, people are panic selling like this month.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: